• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MP Sideswipe is so pricey. ¥23,500 ;-;

Edit: Hm. Anyone have experiences with BigBadToyStore? They're offering it for $80.

I literally have only bought TFs online from them, probably over a thousand $ worth of TFs over the years. They've been nothing but amazing, including replacing missing pieces from factory defects for free, including shipping to Europe. In one memorable case I got an Animated Wreck-Gar with two left feet, and they sent me another one without even requesting the original. They've always been warm and courteous too. Seriously, all the praise in the world would fall short.

Mike M

Nick N

Edit: Hm. Anyone have experiences with BigBadToyStore? They're offering it for $80.
BBTS is great, they've been heavily involved with the fandom for the better part of two decades. They sponsor message boards, they got exclusive shipments of Battle Unicorn worked out with Hasbro when he was impossible to find anywhere, etc. Nothing but good things to say.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Been buying from them for over ten years. They are, without exception, the most reliable and convenient TF import source on the internet. Not always the cheapest, but if you ever have a defective product, their customer service will make you glad you spent a couple of extra bucks. That big stack of robots I posted upthread came from BBTS.

Firemind

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I'll take up on the offer.

You could just buy a Chinese knockoff on ebay for 30 bucks. It's got a few issues, but that's what you get for saving 50 bucks.
There are identical knockoffs? I'm familiar with Transformer knockoffs since way back in the 90s, but they're always very noticable in their cheapness. I don't mind paying more for MPs. It's just that 23,500 yen is almost $200. That's outrageous for a relatively small MP. Darn my love for Lambos. For comparison, I got Smokescreen for under $50 while I was in Hong Kong. Maybe I got a knockoff? :lol

There are identical knockoffs? I'm familiar with Transformer knockoffs since way back in the 90s, but they're always very noticable in their cheapness. I don't mind paying more for MPs. It's just that 23,500 yen is almost $200. That's outrageous for a relatively small MP. Darn my love for Lambos. For comparison, I got Smokescreen for under $50 while I was in Hong Kong. Maybe I got a knockoff? :lol

Yeah a few of those stores I posted charge a huge markup once a figures stock dwindles but this is why I always jump on preorders from them right away as they are always giving a nice discount. Id jump on that Lambor from BBTS,there arent many stores that even have him in stock anymore and especially at that price. As for your Smokescreen that seems to be the going price for the legit MP's over there,a knockoff would have cost $25 or so. Easy way to tell

are his lips "pinched" like this..
WP_007305_zps2029af98.jpg

or like this?
1387036516_2.jpg

EDIT: For anyone looking I have some MP figures, Trnasformers and various other stuff for sale at TFW: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/items-sale-trade/1018702-furyans-sale-thread-transformers-misc.html

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

The Lambor knockoff is pretty good, but the main difference is that "Lamborghini" is misspelled in various ways on the car itself. Since you're a Lambo fan, that may be a deal breaker.

bjork

Didn't know there was an OT for TF, cool beans. I've always kinda liked Skywarp the best. I think it's the color combo, and that he could teleport on the show.

Anyway, it's probably been addressed in here somewhere but I wanted to chime in and say that I recently learned of the Regeneration One comic, and I don't know that I've seen a cooler thing for any property to have happen. It just picks up at the end of the original run and then adds to it with all kinds of cool nods and what I'm assuming is Furman's original idea for the series to end?

Gives me hope for that new Twin Peaks content, too.

NEO0MJ

What's a cheap/affordable Soundwave figure that comes with at least Lazerbeak as a cassette?

Right now the cheapest is one of two options, the reissue of the original G1 Soundwave toy which comes with Laserbeak and Ravage at the cost of $50 or the Fall of Cybertron Soundwave figure which comes with Laserbeak at the cost of $27.

Of course, if you decide to splurge there's the MP G1 Soundwave that includes Laserbeak at the cost of $160.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Oh, I thought those had to be purchased separately?

Yeah, the Takara one does, I didn't notice that was the one you linked to. The US version includes all five cassettes (Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Rumble, Frenzy, Ravage). The only downside is his visor is yellow instead of red. Also he is pretty damned expensive now, looking at eBay. Yeesh.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, the Takara one does, I didn't notice that was the one you linked to. The US version includes all five cassettes (Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Rumble, Frenzy, Ravage). The only downside is his visor is yellow instead of red. Also he is pretty damned expensive now, looking at eBay. Yeesh.

Yeah, that's why I linked the Takara one. It's crazy how expensive some Transformers toys become with time.

bjork

Yeah, that's why I linked the Takara one. It's crazy how expensive some Transformers toys become with time.

I remember buying some 2-pack of Skywarp and Ultra Magnus from Target, because it was exclusive to them. I opened it for the Skywarp and I think I sold the UM in the anime shop for like $10 or something. I remember looking and seeing that thing for like $100+ on ebay. I never see the long view with these things.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I remember buying some 2-pack of Skywarp and Ultra Magnus from Target, because it was exclusive to them. I opened it for the Skywarp and I think I sold the UM in the anime shop for like $10 or something. I remember looking and seeing that thing for like $100+ on ebay. I never see the long view with these things.

Is it G1-related and well-designed? It'll jump in value. In three years every one of the Combiner Wars deluxes will be $50-60 each.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I imagine Devastator will be worth a pretty penny in a few years.

Probably. Metroplex is already almost double retail. Large stuff is usually produced in small numbers to begin with, so it's always a safe bet to increase in value, but large stuff that the fandom likes will often be ridiculously pricey in a few years.

Over at Humble Bundle, this week's book bundle is pretty much all of the MTMTE/RiD era comics. For $15 (currently) you get all of MTMTE, all of RiD, and the Dark Cybertron books. You get MTMTE Vol. 1-6 and the issues following Dark Cybertron as the base bundle, meaning all of MTMTE for potentially one cent if you're a completely cheap bastard. If you haven't read this and you like Transformers...get off your ass. Seriously one of the best comics on shelves.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

darthbob

Probably. Metroplex is already almost double retail. Large stuff is usually produced in small numbers to begin with, so it's always a safe bet to increase in value, but large stuff that the fandom likes will often be ridiculously pricey in a few years.

Over at Humble Bundle, this week's book bundle is pretty much all of the MTMTE/RiD era comics. For $15 (currently) you get all of MTMTE, all of RiD, and the Dark Cybertron books. You get MTMTE Vol. 1-6 and the issues following Dark Cybertron as the base bundle, meaning all of MTMTE for potentially one cent if you're a completely cheap bastard. If you haven't read this and you like Transformers...get off your ass. Seriously one of the best comics on shelves.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Seriously can't recommend MTMTE enough. Fantastic stuff.

Vyer

This whole Combiner Wars thing got me to buy transformers for the first time in years. Picked up Skydive and Alpha Bravo. Really impressed with the articulation in these guys. Much more posable than I remember TF toys being.

Local TRU doesn't even have any of the combiner wars figs. Any time I go it's empty shelves and nothing but a bit of the new RID figs

I've had a lot of luck at Target.

Hero

Okay I just bought that bundle. That's ridiculous value.

What's the reading order? Can I alternate RiD and MTMTE?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Start with MTMTE Vol 1, as it begins with The Death of Optimus Prime that sets up both series. From there you can alternate volume to volume or read MTMTE straight through the end of Vol. 5 and then RiD through to the end of Vol. 5. That's the end of the first "season" of both books, and then the Dark Cybertron crossover happens. After Dark Cybertron comes Vol 6 for both series, and the remaining numbered issues in the bundle after that.

aparisi2274

Start with MTMTE Vol 1, as it begins with The Death of Optimus Prime that sets up both series. From there you can alternate volume to volume or read MTMTE straight through the end of Vol. 5 and then RiD through to the end of Vol. 5. That's the end of the first "season" of both books, and then the Dark Cybertron crossover happens. After Dark Cybertron comes Vol 6 for both series, and the remaining numbered issues in the bundle after that.

I was going to ask the same question, so thank for the info on how to read these...

bjork

I saw the PS1 Optimus on NCS and BBTS today. I wonder why he wasn't a Super NES? Would've fit perfectly with Megatron as Sega. Still a cool toy, though. I like stuff like that, aside from the sneaker ones they did.

Ovek

7Member7
so has anyone here bought any of the kabaya transformers gum kits?

i know they're effectively partsformers, but i'm interested in them

I've got a few Kabaya kits like Fort Max DX and a few other none Transformer ones. Let's face it they are not the most expensive thing in world but saying that they are very good for the money even at collector prices.

I've got a few Kabaya kits like Fort Max DX and a few other none Transformer ones. Let's face it they are not the most expensive thing in world but saying that they are very good for the money even at collector prices.
yeah the fort max dx kit is one of the ones i'm interested in actually (and a few others)

how big is he? i know he's not gonna be the size of the original fort max, but is he around deluxe-size or so?

Ovek

7Member7
yeah the fort max dx kit is one of the ones i'm interested in actually (and a few others)

how big is he? i know he's not gonna be the size of the original fort max, but is he around deluxe-size or so?

Here is a size comparison pic...

100_7562.jpg

So more like voyager.

I'm not buying many Transformers these days, but I just sent in a preorder for the Protectobots. Huge fan of them. It's crazy how Hot Spot was already out of stock for preorders so I had to get Cyclonus as well. Meh, I'll probably sell him off right away.

Good thing I don't care about Superion or Menasor, although I did see them at the store and they're impressively big after being used to Energon era combiners.

Tizoc

So this whole Combiner thing is because of an event in the comics? Either that or they had the toys in mind and just wanted the comics to reflect it.

Mike M

Nick N
So this whole Combiner thing is because of an event in the comics? Either that or they had the toys in mind and just wanted the comics to reflect it.
Probably the latter, I can't imagine the turnaround time on comics is anywhere near that of the toys.

Tizoc

All things considered, Megatron never seems to make good decisions; from creating the Decepticon faction, to keeping Starscream around, to actually boarding the Lost Light of his own choice
Megatron: "This conversation is ridiculous. You are ridiculous. Everything that's happened in the last few days is intensely ridiculous. Six months into this shambles of a quest—six months!—and not a day goes by—not an hour—when I don't have to stand back from this endless parade of nonsense and remind myself, by means of several blows to the head, that I am here of my own volition, and not as a result of some—some elaborate trap set by Optimus Prime. Why bother looking for the Knights of Cybertron? Why postpone my trial? I've already been convicted—and this is my punishment. You! This ship! This life!"
^MTMTE #35

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Saw a great double-feature of Transformers: The Movie and GI Joe: The Movie at the Egyptian in Hollywood tonight (only the second time GI Joe: The Movie has ever been shown publicly in a theater), and was able to add Neil Ross (Springer, Slag, Bonecrusher, Hook, etc.) to my autograph collection. I could seriously listen to Flint Dille, Michael Bell, Neil Ross, and Wally Burr tell '80s cartoon voiceover stories all day.

B_jePmtUYAATuwh.jpg:large

Top Bottom