• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Next Masterpiece has been announced: it's MP25 Tracks.

I'm only collecting season 1 MP figures, so this really doesn't interest me.

Just got my MP-21 Bumblebee. It's pretty tiny compared to the other MPs, but still a worthy addition to my collection. I think I have all of the MPs I want now, after I recently shelled out for the coronation Starscream to replace my Greenscream. The next decisions will probably whether to get an MP-10 to replace my 20th Anniversary Prime, and whether I want a new Megatron if it ever comes out.

There's probably not an official Masterpiece Megatron coming anytime soon, but a third party one is being released soon, March or April-ish. I'd recommend you get on it before they all sell out, like Quakewave.

Nah, it's a pretty extensive retool, including a brand new head sculpt.

There are things I like and dislike about both versions, but at the end of the day I already have a trio of seekers in the first mold, including Takara Skywarp and Thundercracker, so shelling out for the new ones seems a bit much.

Yeah. I've got the Wal-Mart MP3 Starscream, and the new MP11 just looks like it's missing so many details, like the lights on the tips of the wings, and the intricate panel lines. The best feature they changed is the new head sculpt, which is admittedly a lot more accurate. But it's overall not that much better. The ankle tilt seems almost nonexistent. And while a lot of people feel like it fixed the kibble on MP3's hips, I don't really see how moving the tail fins down to Starscream's feet is that much better, considering cartoon Starscream never had those either.

NEO0MJ

I didn't know Ultra Magnus has so many diehard fans. He always came off as a bland character from every incarnation I've seen him in. His execution scene in TFTM and then his resurrection despite being blown to bits (using magical Junkian car polish might I add) were straight-up embarrassing. Optimus Prime am cry.

His rendition in the IDW comics was a lot of fun. Plus, I'm a big fan of the design.

Ovek

7Member7
Yeah. I've got the Wal-Mart MP3 Starscream, and the new MP11 just looks like it's missing so many details, like the lights on the tips of the wings, and the intricate panel lines. The best feature they changed is the new head sculpt, which is admittedly a lot more accurate. But it's overall not that much better. The ankle tilt seems almost nonexistent. And while a lot of people feel like it fixed the kibble on MP3's hips, I don't really see how moving the tail fins down to Starscream's feet is that much better, considering cartoon Starscream never had those either.

The problem with the original seeker mold was that it wasn't just the stabiliser's attached to its hip but rather large parts of the fuselage that hung all the way down to it's feet. It was a ghastly and was proved to be unnecessary time and time again with rather simple mods that fixed it, one became so popular Takara "borrowed" it for the remold.

As for attaching the staliser's to the legs on the new mold, well if they can't make it look cartoon accurate the very least they could do is make it look G1 (and every Starscream toy ever) toy accurate.

Tizoc

That new Leader Ultra Magnus looks so hot.

Not pictured, the ability to combine one of its rifles and the missile launchers on his shoulder into a hammer and a transforming Minimus Ambus that fits inside.

Oh fuck....so tempting.

The problem with the original seeker mold was that it wasn't just the stabiliser's attached to its hip but rather large parts of the fuselage that hung all the way down to it's feet. It was a ghastly and was proved to be unnecessary time and time again with rather simple mods that fixed it, one became so popular Takara "borrowed" it for the remold.

As for attaching the staliser's to the legs on the new mold, well if they can't make it look cartoon accurate the very least they could do is make it look G1 (and every Starscream toy ever) toy accurate.

That really doesn't matter to me, since I never owned the G1 toy.

And you can actually hide those parts of the fuselage and tail fins if you want on the MP3.

2728217-img_20150221_034059.jpg

Enkidu

Takara didn't borrow anything for MP11, that is how they designed it in the first place before another designer came and changed it.
LwVS4gN.jpg

Sadist

We have a Transformers thread? Neat.

Man, America gets all the awesome stuff. Transformers in Europe are pretty non-existant.

... ... I have a lot of stuff in the attic. Only stuff in my room are my Japanese Beast Wars II/Neo(?) toys and Legends versions of Ironhide and Sideswipe. But man, reading this thread is awesome. Dem combiners.

Tizoc

Aren't there Transformers comics the more popular in UK? At least during the 80s and early 90s?

Had these for quite some time, just wanted to share.

imagez3umx.jpg

Mind putting that image in quote tags, it's huge! Could you also show the figures as well?

Jobbs

Banned
Next Masterpiece has been announced: it's MP25 Tracks.

I'm only collecting season 1 MP figures, so this really doesn't interest me.

I got a BBTS notification and came here to see if anyone was talking about Tracks. I (so far) only collect autobot cars, which is what I was infatuated with as a child, so this does interest me.

I love tracks and the mold looks awesome. Has the thing over his head and everything. Can't wait to see him in that full blue coloring.

I must get this!

TAK12092.jpg

Savitar

Yeah, but I guess recently toy sales were bad so they stopped bringing as much to the EU/UK

A lot of the Transformers UK comics set things up for what was borrowed for the US later on, didn't hurt it was because hey they brought over the writer to do the NA TF comics which helped to really iron out a lot of details and help give depth that was sorely needed at the time. The current TF comics owes a lot to them because James Roberts was a huge fan of the UK stuff.

Partly why we're getting the best stuff ever done now.

Firemind

I got a BBTS notification and came here to see if anyone was talking about Tracks. I (so far) only collect autobot cars, which is what I was infatuated with as a child, so this does interest me.

I love tracks and the mold looks awesome. Has the thing over his head and everything. Can't wait to see him in that full blue coloring.

I must get this!

TAK12092.jpg
tumblr_inline_nbnm1tvt9S1qisnvc.gif

Zombine

Banned
"Oh wow a new MP figure! It definitely has to be Mega..Tracks. What the fuck?"

My brother was livid this morning and when I asked him why he was so pissy he told me it was about this.

Firemind

Megajiggawha?

Tracks is awesome I don't care what anyone says. Trans-Europe Express is one of the better episodes of S2. That lovable scamp Auggie.

Just missing Jazz and Sunstreaker now. Don't really care about the rest of the Auto(mobile)bots. Well, Hound and Mirage are pretty legit too. And Trailbreaker. Might as well do Hoist too. THAT'S IT. (Yeah I don't like Ironhide. Sue me.)

Ovek

7Member7
Megajiggawha?

Tracks is awesome I don't care what anyone says. Trans-Europe Express is one of the better episodes of S2. That lovable scamp Auggie.

Just missing Jazz and Sunstreaker now. Don't really care about the rest of the Auto(mobile)bots. Well, Hound and Mirage are pretty legit too. And Trailbreaker. Might as well do Hoist too. THAT'S IT. (Yeah I don't like Ironhide. Sue me.)

I do believe Ironhide is rumoured to be one of the next two MP announced, it came from the same source that said Tracks was next so it has some credence at least. That and they could do a quick white repaint and knock out a MP Ratchet, I'm surprised they haven't done it sooner.

I bet they never do a MP Jazz either as they licence the car manufacture property and Porsche are notorious about not letting anyone use there logo or car designs.

EDIT: I hope that MP Tracks Amazon exclusive add-on is a MP scaled basketball.

transformer-slam-dunk.gif

Firemind

It never ceases to amaze me how unintentionally hilarious the G1 cartoon is. Every time I rewatch an episode there's always something new to discover that makes me either laugh out loud or scratch my head in confusion or both, something you didn't really pay attention to as a kid. Everyone knows about the wrong colouring schemes and, of course, it's pretty difficult for a budget tv show aimed to sell toys to have any sort of quality, especially when there are American producers and Japanese animators involved. Just look at this:
I can imagine the writer typed something like: "The Combaticons in vehicle mode are all in shot to combine into Bruticus in an urban environment" and the Japanese artist is like scratching his head but then does what he is told to do anyway.

"Bumblebee opens kitchen door." Okay, chief.

B.O.T. is just hilarous in general. There are numerous other examples that makes you question the writing. Like you hear Optimus Prime in one episode say "Transform and roll out!" And the next Autobot scene you see him at Teletraan I busy ordering the Autobots around. Then there's Megatron's genious plans of world conquest. Like, how many times does he need to build a doomsday device that's stationary before he gets it? Heck, in B.O.T., the weapon device has a self destruct button. Also, why does he keep Starscream around when he double crosses him time after time? :lol

The many mysteries of the G1 universe.

I finally picked up an MP-09 Rodimus(the TRU Hasbro version).

Its a mixed bag for me. Honestly I think the alt mode doesn't look all that great, but I really love how it looks in robot mode. But damn that thing needs some tighter ankle joints, getting it into a pose and standing up was a pain.

The G1 Hotrod has a pretty big nostalgic value for me, and I really dig how this MP looks in robot mode. Not disappointed in my purchase at all since I don't plan on transforming him often. Although I didn't have an problems transforming him at all.

Jobbs

Banned
Megajiggawha?

you're forgetting Ratchet! And Huffer! And Cliffjumper!

Firemind

you're forgetting Ratchet! And Huffer! And Cliffjumper!
I can't even remember what Ratchet did of note in the cartoon. He didn't even build the Dinobots! He has a much more significant part in the Marvel continuity, but I consider them different characters.

Huffer's claim to fame is that he towed Prime's trailer. And he's a bit of a dick.

Cliffjumper did the shuttle countdown in the movie. Can't remember much else. He's no Gears who teamed up with the amazing Spider-Man!

Mindwipe

I bet they never do a MP Jazz either as they licence the car manufacture property and Porsche are notorious about not letting anyone use there logo or car designs.

People said the same about VW for ten years before Masterpiece Bumblebee.

Also do they have any options for doing much in the form of palette swap releases for a Jazz? Having to get a pricey license along with it only good for one fig might be a big turn off for them.

Firemind

Also do they have any options for doing much in the form of palette swap releases for a Jazz? Having to get a pricey license along with it only good for one fig might be a big turn off for them.
Um, Wheeljack?

I think the classic toy transformation scheme is similar to Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen anyway? Not 100% sure. I still keep my Jazz sealed.

Um, Wheeljack?

Wheeljack got the decepticon version Exhaust coming out of it. Bumblebee getting his G2 version release. It seems they try to go for what they can get multiple releases out of with easy tweaks if it's not a super popular character.

Already expected that Tracks MP is going to get a Road Rage release out of it too.

Ovek

7Member7

They could do a G2 Jazz...

g2jazz.gif

It's awful and no one would buy it (I'm sure it has it's fans) but on the plus side it doesn't have a Martini logo on the doors which could be another license stumbling block they might have for G1.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

It's not the price so much as Porsche still refusing to work with "war toys." They're very, very paranoid about their Nazi manufacturing days. Never mind that their parent company just licensed the release of an MP TF that turns into a car that Hitler personally requested be built and has yet to be boycotted by the U.N.

Porsche has full control over their licensing, with no input from Volkswagen, so Jazz may simply never happen.

I know its their MO to get proper licensing on their MP toys, but there is nothing stopping them from doing what they did in the G1 era and simply create the toy in the likeness of the original vehicle. To my knowledge, very few G1 toys where ever licensed. Unless I'm mistaken.

Edit:

Goddamn that G2 toys is so damn 90s.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I know its their MO to get proper licensing on their MP toys, but there is nothing stopping them from doing what they did in the G1 era and simply create the toy in the likeness of the original vehicle. To my knowledge, very few G1 toys where ever licensed. Unless I'm mistaken.

They weren't, but that was due to a combination of A) Japan's laws on the subject being very lax, especially at the time, and B) Nobody paying much attention to an obscure kids' toyline. They probably couldn't get away with a TotallyNotAPorsche MP Jazz, especially after asking and being rejected.

Plus the rest of the line's Autobot cars really lean on the official licenses as a selling point. If they don't get Porsche, I just don't see Jazz happening.

Since people were talking about the MP Starscream versions...I know it's been said before, but it's really annoying that the new mold SS doesn't fit onto the stand in jet mode. Doesn't seem like that would've been very hard to do.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Playstation Prime is almost here! Segatron will have a buddy on the shelf. I hope they make more of these guys, maybe a sound wave sega cd, a bumble bee psp, a galvatron Saturn, unicorn Xbox, starscream game gear... The possibilities are endless.

Mike M

Nick N
A shame about the small size and the copious amount of panel lines. The panel lines are unavoidable, but these would be so much more awesome if they were closer to the size of the actual systems.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
A shame about the small size and the copious amount of panel lines. The panel lines are unavoidable, but these would be so much more awesome if they were closer to the size of the actual systems.

Yeah sent that vid to a friend and his 1st rely was dam that's a chunky looking playstation.

Never gonna take it out of the box and it comes in alt mode so it's all good for me.

Jobbs

Banned
is it pretty safe to assume any "takara" shipping from a chinese location is a knockoff?

I've been casually entertaining the idea of getting a takara MP-10, (I like the colorings better than the hasbro version) but many of them I see are shipping from china, which looks kinda red flaggy.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Be a lot easier to justify the cost at that size, too.

is it pretty safe to assume any "takara" shipping from a chinese location is a knockoff?

I've been casually entertaining the idea of getting a takara MP-10, (I like the colorings better than the hasbro version) but many of them I see are shipping from china, which looks kinda red flaggy.

It is not safe to assume that. Something shipping from China will probably be a shipping screwjob in many cases, but it doesn't automatically mean it's a KO. The best way to tell if something is a KO, other than asking the seller directly or looking for telltale signs on the packaging, is the price. If that MP-10 is less than $180 or so, it's probably a KO.

Jobbs

Banned
It is not safe to assume that. Something shipping from China will probably be a shipping screwjob in many cases, but it doesn't automatically mean it's a KO. The best way to tell if something is a KO, other than asking the seller directly or looking for telltale signs on the packaging, is the price. If that MP-10 is less than $180 or so, it's probably a KO.

Yeah, the ones I speak of are in the $200 range and have stock photos of the packaging and ship form Hong Kong.. hard to decide what to think.

I noticed BBTS is getting new Takara MP10 shipment in a couple months, I should probably just wait for that.

Incidentally, I recently checked out my new Bumblebee. I have most the MP autobot cars and I think Bumblebee has the coolest transformation of any of them. It's probably the easiest, first of all, and it feels really solid and satisfying. The way the torso is set up allows things to fold really neatly and cleverly into place (hard to describe, but anyone who has him knows what I mean). Very cool figure. I honestly don't give a shit about Spike, though, so it would have been nice to get just Bumblebee by himself for a few bucks cheaper -- But it's all good.

0JcJ1LJ.jpg

This is Bumblebee next to Smokescreen, who is probably my other favorite MP autobot so far due to his amazingly vivid paintjob.

p4GWkO3.jpg

Anyway, re. Bumblebee, he looks great, the color pretty much nails what I remember him looking like in the cartoon, and he's also nice and tiny which is also how you remember him being. The only criticism is his face looks a bit lame, but nothing I can't live with.

dqNvKUy.jpg

One other thing worth noting that's a MUCH appreciated touch, and further shows how well designed this figure is -- His blaster tucks neatly in the undercarriage of the car when in car mode. This is really convenient. With the other autobots you always have to hassle with the guns when in vehicle mode.

Not at all considering most of it is manufactured in China ;) Ive had no problems with most of the Chinese retailers Ive bought through. I buy all my MP figures from overseas as its $20+ cheaper per figure which adds up. You just gotta know where to shop from,check these places out. I dont stray from these places as they had been safe and reliable.

http://www.robotkingdom.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Masterpiece

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/search...earch_query=transformers&submit_search=Search (Preorders are cheap! My favorite store)

http://www.anime-export.com/search?search=transformers (Cheapest preorders)

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?GenreCode2=all&Word=transformers&x=0&y=0

Most of these places will run out of preorders and restock them occasionally during the preorder period and you will get them way cheaper if you preorder. And preorders usually sell out quickly. Good luck.

yami4ct

Not at all considering most of it is manufactured in China ;) Ive had no problems with most of the Chinese retailers Ive bought through. I buy all my MP figures from overseas as its $20+ cheaper per figure which adds up. You just gotta know where to shop from,check these places out. I dont stray from these places as they had been safe and reliable.

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/search...earch_query=transformers&submit_search=Search (Preorders are cheap! My favorite store)

Most of these places will run out of preorders and restock them occasionally during the preorder period and you will get them way cheaper if you preorder. And preorders usually sell out quickly. Good luck.

I can vouch for near all those retailers, except for A-E as I haven't ordered from them but heard they're good. One small correction, A-E, HLJ and Nippon-Yassan are all Japanese shops, not Chinese. Robot Kingdom is in Hong Kong I believe.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
One other thing worth noting that's a MUCH appreciated touch, and further shows how well designed this figure is -- His blaster tucks neatly in the undercarriage of the car when in car mode. This is really convenient. With the other autobots you always have to hassle with the guns when in vehicle mode.

The spare tire cover that goes on his back in robot mode even fits over the gun on the underside of the car mode. He's a very well designed little bot.

Firemind

MP Sideswipe is so pricey. ¥23,500 ;-;

Edit: Hm. Anyone have experiences with BigBadToyStore? They're offering it for $80.

Firemind

They also have the Grimlock reissue with crown and Wheeljack... which one is the most likely to be out of print and out of stock in the future?

Top Bottom