• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

You were right, it works much better, streetwise is better as arm, fits better with Rook and the coloring is also better, white/red legs, white/blue arms.

:)

Also, I couldn't try the reverse Hotspot legs thing... as Hotspot is currently disassembled and being turned into Optimus Prime. :D I'll do it when I open up the second Hotspot I got.

ramparter

Banned
:)

Also, I couldn't try the reverse Hotspot legs thing... as Hotspot is currently disassembled and being turned into Optimus Prime. :D I'll do it when I open up the second Hotspot I got.
I can't figure what they have done in the pic I posted, I suspect they have moded it a bit.

edit: Actually it seems he has swapped them.

Jobbs

Banned
anyone had any luck finding the toys r us MP07 starscream? I've tried but no dice, I really want one.

scalpers on ebay are selling it for $150 +-.

anyone had any luck finding the toys r us MP07 starscream? I've tried but no dice, I really want one.

scalpers on ebay are selling it for $150 +-.

I did, I'm so pissed at myself for not buying the other 2 that were sitting on the shelf

TqTOLNul.jpg

NAv2x12l.jpg

Savitar

Anyone know if it's out in Canada yet?

And what.....no see through and orange version?!

*Looks at those SW's and OP's warming the shelves*

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Welp, missed MP Starscream, never to be seen again, if TRU's usual ordering practices are in play. It's like they don't notice these things sell out every time.

Jobbs

Banned
MP27 Ironhide showed up for preorder on BBTS with a few photos from somewhere. Very G1 accurate, really, and much better looking than the early photo I saw previously which was apparently not properly transformed.

I did, I'm so pissed at myself for not buying the other 2 that were sitting on the shelf

Lucky! Probably far too late at this point, but if anyone finds an extra one and wants to grab it for me, I'll pay shipping + a little tip for your trouble.

yami4ct

Really excited for MP Ironhide. Waiting for HLJ to get him up now. January is an unexpected date, but I won't complain. I probably won't enjoy him as much as Tracks, but he still looks like a crap ton of fun.

NEO0MJ

MP27 Ironhide showed up for preorder on BBTS with a few photos from somewhere. Very G1 accurate, really, and much better looking than the early photo I saw previously which was apparently not properly transformed.

If anything it's too G1 accurate for me. Though I was never a big fan of his design to begin with.

NEO0MJ

Mike M

Nick N
Yep. It's the most detailed toy of that version of the character, and the last fully new large-scale Optimus Primal toy for over a decade. There were two new deluxe size toys made, however.

Really curious how they go about the new MP. I hope it has an optional faceplate as I wasn't the biggest fan of the exposed mouth.

Surprised they didn't just call that Beast Machines Primal Prime.
tumblr_mqh7tjymlG1rucsp8o1_500.jpg

Air Attack Optimus was... An interesting figure. Really detailed and mostly accurate to his appearance on the show in a toy line where most of the CGI models were, at best, loosely inspired by the toy designs. But it's not a terribly great design in the first place, and those colors don't really do it any favors.

That Year of the Monkey Autobot Symbol is awesome, though.

It pissed me off that for the 20th Anniversary of BEAST WARS they are releasing a damn Beast Machine's toy.

Its a solid toy, but Transmetal 2 Primal or even OG Primal would have been leagues better IMHO.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It pissed me off that for the 20th Anniversary of BEAST WARS they are releasing a damn Beast Machine's toy.

Its a solid toy, but Transmetal 2 Primal or even OG Primal would have been leagues better IMHO.

There's a Masterpiece OG Primal coming next year, as well as at least one more MP Beast Wars character (probably Megatron).

And apparently the Optimal Optimus (TM2) mold has been lost, so a reissue of that version of the character is not going to happen.

Also why is First Aid holding an axe for? What kind of medical care requires cutting up bots with an axe?!

Hmmmm... rescuing them from collapsed rubble / crashed vehicles / burning buildings, maybe? Perhaps he doesn't want to have to wait for Hotspot. :D

Alternatively, it worst comes to worst, it's probably less painful and faster than a bone (or metal) saw...

Cheerilee

Just to mention, SFDebris (a popular Star Trek episode reviewer) is going to be reviewing some G1 Transformers episodes soon, and as a warm up, he did a couple of behind-the-scenes looking-back videos at stuff like the show's origin with Sunbow and GI Joe, and it's competition with the GoBots.

It's probably nothing most of you haven't heard a hundred times before, but I thought it was neat to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP7v2GoLok350ipERYd6ykjag14Nes-kW

(His earlier look at the ups-and-downs of Marvel Comics was bigger and more interesting than this set of videos, but it's currently offline due to the shutdown of Blip.)

yami4ct

How can G1 toys be too G1 accurate?

It depends on what animation model you're talking about. Some of those look pretty awful. In my opinion, it's OK to take some license to capture the spirit of the character instead of just focusing on the accuracy. I think most of the modern MPs walk that line really well.

Toxi

Banned
Really curious how they go about the new MP. I hope it has an optional faceplate as I wasn't the biggest fan of the exposed mouth.
Considering the faceplate slides up in the series several times, it should be in there as an optional feature. Maybe a swappable face like Bandai's SH Figurearts.
There's a Masterpiece OG Primal coming next year, as well as at least one more MP Beast Wars character (probably Megatron).
Either Megatron or Dinobot, since apparently the Japanese aren't fond of villain figures and Dinobot's probably the second most popular hero character from season 1.
Especially when we're talking about Ironhide. :p

yami4ct

Considering the faceplate slides up in the series several times, it should be in there as an optional feature. Maybe a swappable face like Bandai's SH Figurearts.

The MP Line has already had a few figures with swappable faces. Hot Rod, the MP Seeker Mold, Ultra Magnus and Bumblebee all have face swapping features. Ironhide will have it as well. Since it was used in show, I suspect we will see some sort of faceplate option.

NEO0MJ

I guess I wouldn't mind them taking a few liberties and update the design.

Either Megatron or Dinobot, since apparently the Japanese aren't fond of villain figures and Dinobot's probably the second most popular hero character from season 1.

I always found that strange. Villains often get the best designed stuff after all.

yami4ct

Nice!

But you know I always wonder wtf Ultra Magnus transforms into; if it's a truck then what is that thing he's towing?

It's a car carrier with missiles. Quite a few promo shots show him loaded up with other autobot cars. Like most Season 3 designs, it doesn't make much sense as a real world disguise. As a functional thing, it's neat. He can tow other autobot into battle.

Toxi

Banned
Nice!

But you know I always wonder wtf Ultra Magnus transforms into; if it's a truck then what is that thing he's towing?
I think it's supposed to be a stylized car hauler. A stylized future car hauler, from the far off year of 2005.

yami4ct

So MP Tracks was delayed until early November. That sucks. I hate how late TT waits until they delay something. I have a RG Astray Gundam sitting in my Private Warehouse at HLJ and I would've made different arrangements if they delayed Tracks sooner. Guess I'll have to buy another kit so I don't waste money shipping just that little Astray.

Mindwipe

It's supposed to be a car carrier like this, but of course it's "futuristic" like all the 1986 Autobots were.

img3.jpg

Magnus' car carrier was designed as part of Diaclone, it's not supposed to be futuristic like the other 1986 bots.

It's just not terribly convincing...

RID God Magnus was much more convincing in that regard.

If its Dinobot I'll cry. We need and deserve another Megatron.

I also feel like Megatron will be a lot easier than Dinobot.

I'm really curious how they are going to pull off Primal.

Either way Beast Wars is my favorite toy line and series so I'm super pumped.

Magnus' car carrier was designed as part of Diaclone, it's not supposed to be futuristic like the other 1986 bots.

It's just not terribly convincing...
Oh that's right, I'd forgotten about the old Powered Convoy Diaclone figure. I guess for that figure the armored mode took priority over a realistic alt mode.

If its Dinobot I'll cry. We need and deserve another Megatron.

I also feel like Megatron will be a lot easier than Dinobot.

The real question is which version of Megatron? I feel like they'd go with the season 1 version, but I've always remembered him best in his transmetal form.

I'd love a Dinobot though. Especially if he came with a transmetal Rattrap to ride around on!

NEO0MJ

The real question is which version of Megatron? I feel like they'd go with the season 1 version, but I've always remembered him best in his transmetal form.

They'll probably go the same route at Optimus and design him based on his S1 look. Though I would love it if they went with his season 2 design.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I feel like you couldn't do much to improve on TM1 Megatron, really. He's already super screen accurate (or rather the CG model was super toy accurate), and doesn't lack articulation. I would like to see them reissue the figure with a non-fragile plastic for his waistpiece, though.

yami4ct

MP Ironhide is up at HLJ, AmiAmi, Anime-Export and other import retailers now. Likely due to his size, he's a mid/high price MP. 10,000 JPY regular price and around 7000-8000 after retailer discounts. Plan accordingly.

Tizoc

So I'm watching Season 1 of the 1980s cartoon and
Man the voice acting is pretty good, it's kinda cool what they did Prime and Megs' voices for example.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So I'm watching Season 1 of the 1980s cartoon and
Man the voice acting is pretty good, it's kinda cool what they did Prime and Megs' voices for example.

You can thank Wally Burr, the voice director, for that. Before the Sunbow stuff of the '80s, most cartoons were thought of as a quick two hour job that a voice actor could do in the morning and be on to his next gig after a fast read. Burr, now empowered by the substantial (for the era) budget provided by the fact that these cartoons were funded by the toy companies as marketing tools, decided to give the clients a product they could be proud of, and brought the hammer down on the actors. He forced constant retakes, hours of rehearsal and recording and group performance, research on characters and making each character unique, and enforced the adage that a cartoon was really a radio play with pictures. Between Transformers, GI Joe, and other Sunbow cartoons, Wally Burr essentially created the modern idea of voice acting in cartoons (and eventually videogames), inasmuch as taking the job seriously and trying to perform the material straight, even when it was absurd.

As a result, these characters became vividly depicted aurally, and they stuck in our heads. A tremendous amount of the nostalgia and memorable elements of Transformers and its ilk come from the performances, and those performances are the result of Wally Burr settling for nothing less than excellence from his actors. Dude is in his 90s today and still teaching voice classes and directing projects. Extraordinary man.

yami4ct

You can thank Wally Burr, the voice director, for that. Before the Sunbow stuff of the '80s, most cartoons were thought of as a quick two hour job that a voice actor could do in the morning and be on to his next gig after a fast read. Burr, now empowered by the substantial (for the era) budget provided by the fact that these cartoons were funded by the toy companies as marketing tools, decided to give the clients a product they could be proud of, and brought the hammer down on the actors. He forced constant retakes, hours of rehearsal and recording and group performance, research on characters and making each character unique, and enforced the adage that a cartoon was really a radio play with pictures. Between Transformers, GI Joe, and other Sunbow cartoons, Wally Burr essentially created the modern idea of voice acting in cartoons (and eventually videogames), inasmuch as taking the job seriously and trying to perform the material straight, even when it was absurd.

As a result, these characters became vividly depicted aurally, and they stuck in our heads. A tremendous amount of the nostalgia and memorable elements of Transformers and its ilk come from the performances, and those performances are the result of Wally Burr settling for nothing less than excellence from his actors. Dude is in his 90s today and still teaching voice classes and directing projects. Extraordinary man.

I know quite a bit about the production of G1, but I somehow missed this story entirely. That's' really damn cool.

Tizoc

Wow that's amazing, kudos to Mr. Burr.
I mean hell you can see the effects of his efforts when Prime shouts at Megatron at the end of Ep. 3 of Season 1, as the Decepticon ship is flying off.

Top Bottom