• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Firemind

Fun trivia.

Because the recording room at Wally Burr's studio was so small, most of the cast would have to wait their turn in the lobby. Scatman Crothers (voice actor of Jazz) would bring his guitar to every recording session and perform for his fellow Transformers cast members to keep them entertained during the lengthy wait times.

I just realized I have a few pics up on Minus of my repaints but haven't posted them here.

I'll start with this. It's a Star Saber knockoff that's sold locally at 15-20€. Considering the price (especially compared to what the real deal fetches), the quality is actually pretty great. Even so, I completely disassembled them, adjusted all joints, replaced the Brainmaster's spring and fixed it's mechanism, fixed the lift on Saber's chest, and most noticeably, I painted it to match the original version, and added some Autobot logos. I bought three of them, with the intention of repainting all of them and giving two of them to friends of mine. It's quite a lot of work since they are so big, I started in 2014 and have completed one and most of another, the comparison pics are of the completed one against the (almost) untouched one.

ieJT0uYS9vRJm.JPG
iw5GBcfTgrzNR.JPG
ibnEuJVvDjbAoZ.JPG
ibuMXJnz0VtQ86.JPG
iw0tcfSUcEjcI.JPG
iAqOG0Omp8IS0.JPG
icgokJY5ZdY0u.JPG
ibzgjs9TASBWIe.JPG

Link to the Minus gallery in case the pics don't work.

You can thank Wally Burr, the voice director, for that. Before the Sunbow stuff of the '80s, most cartoons were thought of as a quick two hour job that a voice actor could do in the morning and be on to his next gig after a fast read. Burr, now empowered by the substantial (for the era) budget provided by the fact that these cartoons were funded by the toy companies as marketing tools, decided to give the clients a product they could be proud of, and brought the hammer down on the actors. He forced constant retakes, hours of rehearsal and recording and group performance, research on characters and making each character unique, and enforced the adage that a cartoon was really a radio play with pictures. Between Transformers, GI Joe, and other Sunbow cartoons, Wally Burr essentially created the modern idea of voice acting in cartoons (and eventually videogames), inasmuch as taking the job seriously and trying to perform the material straight, even when it was absurd.

As a result, these characters became vividly depicted aurally, and they stuck in our heads. A tremendous amount of the nostalgia and memorable elements of Transformers and its ilk come from the performances, and those performances are the result of Wally Burr settling for nothing less than excellence from his actors. Dude is in his 90s today and still teaching voice classes and directing projects. Extraordinary man.

Too bad he didn't have a double who cared equally about animation quality and consistency.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Too bad he didn't have a double who cared equally about animation quality and consistency.

That's just it, though, the animation didn't really matter. If you had that foundation of character in the audio, kids' imaginations made up the difference visually. Going back to watch the old shows when they were first re-released on DVD was astounding to me because the animation was so much worse than what I remembered. A conflation of the '86 movie's animation quality (which was still subpar for the time, but better than the show's) and an 8 year old's imagination had created a memory of a much better cartoon. Yet the voices were exactly as I remembered. I think with those crudely animated toy cartoon shows, we were basically listening to radio shows with rough picture accompaniments. So much of it happened in our minds' eyes that that's why so many of us developed a personal connection with the characters and the brand in general.

What I'm saying is that all those hand-wringing articles about how toy commercial cartoons were going to infect children's brains...were right.

Cheerilee

They actually did. Cartoons were a wasteland in American between Bugs Bunny and GI Joe, and Filmation's He Man and She Ra were the best cartoons America could put together at the time, and people make fun of how bad those shows look. Sunbow outsourced their animation to Japan (a rising star of animation) because it was better and cheaper than doing it in America.

But outsourcing meant they had less control over things like consistency. Do you remember fans complaining about the "Rhino" DVD sets? That's because Rhino went back to the original film masters which were delivered to Sunbow from Japan, which were full of errors. Sunbow paid extra money to have those errors fixed, but Sunbow didn't edit the repairs into the original negatives, they edited them into the broadcast masters.

When Shout Factory took over the DVD rights from Rhino, they downgraded the transfer quality back down from original film to the broadcast masters, because fans couldn't handle living in a world in which Sunbow didn't care about animation errors.

yami4ct

It's soooo tempting to buy this, but given I have Figuarts Tridoron (I can't believe I'm spending $240 on a plastic car), MG Gundam Altron EW, Tracks and United Devy all come this year, I have to save wherever I can. I really would like another MP Starscream 2.0 because I love that mold so much and that price is terrific.

Every TF fan should hurry and buy that thing. He's easily worth 2x that IMHO (Which is sadly still less than I paid on the secondary market a couple years back when a reissue was looking really unlikely. Still don't regret it). You really can't go wrong at that price..

Tizoc

What, they don't consider Transformers serious comics?
I have it in my mind that those kids can't appreciate clever and smart comics sometimes :V
Also they'd prob. get buried into a discussion about robots and religion for whatever bizarre reason.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Next MP seems to be Hot Rod. I imagine 2016 will be mostly movie and Beast Wars stuff, as they both have major anniversaries.

FR63TTf.jpg

aparisi2274

Next MP seems to be Hot Rod. I imagine 2016 will be mostly movie and Beast Wars stuff, as they both have major anniversaries.

FR63TTf.jpg

Hmmm, if its true and the next MP is Hot Rod, that'll be my next MP Purchase, although I really wish they would start making more Decepticon MP's.

yami4ct

I would be very happy with a MP Hot Rod. MP Rodimus is such a trash figure and it's a shame the design is stuck with that toy. A MP Hot Rod with the same quality as the other MP Cars would be an easy buy.

Hmmm, if its true and the next MP is Hot Rod, that'll be my next MP Purchase, although I really wish they would start making more Decepticon MP's.

The original decepticon line up was sadly taken up by the seekers filling in 6 slots of the cast. Constructicons are not getting a MP release, and doubt Insecticons would either. Not ton of room for repaints either outside of them doing the coneheads, which might be a popularity concern?

If they do focus on movie stuff, Galvatron seems like a perfect choice for a MP

yami4ct

The idea of a MP Insecticon 3-pack isn't that crazy and might be done eventually. I think the next best hope for Decepticons beyond Galvatron and Shockwave would be the triple changers. I would not be surprised to see at least Blitzwing and Astrotrain in the near future. I could also see us getting an Octane sometime after that.

Enkidu

I'd be all over a car-bot sized (or perhaps slightly larger) MP Hot Rod, but hopefully he will look better when the full pictures come out because that silhouette doesn't look that great to me.

yami4ct

I'd be all over a car-bot sized (or perhaps slightly larger) MP Hot Rod, but hopefully he will look better when the full pictures come out because that silhouette doesn't look that great to me.

The sort of down angle makes the proportions look all wacky. The same thing happened to the silhouette of Tracks.

An MP Shockwave seems like it would be a license to print money, considering how hard it is to get a G1 one. I'm not sure if they had issues reissuing him because of licensing issues, or whether that in turn would affect or not the chances to make a G1-accurate version of him.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
An MP Shockwave seems like it would be a license to print money, considering how hard it is to get a G1 one. I'm not sure if they had issues reissuing him because of licensing issues, or whether that in turn would affect or not the chances to make a G1-accurate version of him.

Couple of people I know who deal in 3rd party retail sales swear that MP Shockwave will be the final MP announcement of the year. They claim there's one "big" MP left (as in non-car) and it's Shockwave, which is why Quakewave is being reissued in like three different colors, so Fanstoys can get one last round of use out of that mold.

Couple of people I know who deal in 3rd party retail sales swear that MP Shockwave will be the final MP announcement of the year. They claim there's one "big" MP left (as in non-car) and it's Shockwave, which is why Quakewave is being reissued in like three different colors, so Fanstoys can get one last round of use out of that mold.

Awesome if true. Any other MP rumors you've heard?

yami4ct

I think Shockwave, like Megatron 2.0, is just one of those figures that's been in some stage of development for quite some time. I think TT is just looking for a design they're fully happy with and a good release window.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
And because it's the 30th anniversary of the movie, and god forbid they make a Decepticon or any of the supporting cast.

the chris

And because it's the 30th anniversary of the movie, and god forbid they make a Decepticon or any of the supporting cast.

I would love to see a Masterpiece Galvatron or Cyclonus. Or maybe a standalone release of Spike Witwicky with the soundclip from the movie of him swearing.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I would love to see a Masterpiece Galvatron or Cyclonus. Or maybe a standalone release of Spike Witwicky with the soundclip from the movie of him swearing.

X-Transbots has a very nice Cyclonus in the pipeline.

image_1432064924.jpg

They also have a Scourge and a Galvatron coming.
27532179d1438308838-x-transbots-mx-ii-andras-scourge-11794307_414757555379589_1459723786946378468_o.jpg

Tizoc

I'd really like to see a Samurai Cyclonus figure, he can transform into a spacejet or whatevs, but the comics really make him out to look like a samurai.

Holy shit. It's been literally years since we've known about them, I thought Roberts had quietly buried them. It'll be great to learn what antics they've been up to. Shouldn't they have reached Cybertron with Grims in tow by now?

Also, amazing promotional page. I wonder if it'll be included in the comic itself. Lapsed MTMTE fans are going to be so confused at that "recap". :D

bryanee

Got these to go with Gen 1 collection. I have always wanted Soundwave and Blaster but now I have one of them at least. Blaster and Perceptor are much bigger than I expected them to be.

I'll post some images after I've taken them out and stickered them all up.

bryanee

Stickered them up. Images of my Gen 1 stuff below. Sorry for the shit pics, the camera on my phone is shiiiiiite.

Pi6MG8z.jpg

6KlQ3Qx.jpg

VYZJ1fd.jpg

oHWLEkk.jpg

I think I'm getting Trypticon next.

Bloodember

Got these to go with Gen 1 collection. I have always wanted Soundwave and Blaster but now I have one of them at least. Blaster and Perceptor are much bigger than I expected them to be.

I'll post some images after I've taken them out and stickered them all up.
Where did you get these from?

Stickered them up. Images of my Gen 1 stuff below. Sorry for the shit pics, the camera on my phone is shiiiiiite.

I think I'm getting Trypticon next.

From what you posted, I owned as a child (and still have):

Blaster
Perceptor
Grimlock
Ultra Magnus (though I think a peg on his trailer broke)
Inferno
Ironhide

Never owned any of the seekers, which was a bummer.

muteki

After UltraMagnus, I'd really like to see a MP Powermaster Optimus. My 2-year old loves playing with mine from when I was a kid, though it is missing all the accessories (and the head :( )

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
After UltraMagnus, I'd really like to see a MP Powermaster Optimus. My 2-year old loves playing with mine from when I was a kid, though it is missing all the accessories (and the head :( )

I think there's a good chance of an MP Ginrai in 2017.

Top Bottom