• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

yami4ct

In MattKeil we trust.

I did not expect more MP announcements this year after Ironhide and Primal. Definitely will eat my crow on that one. I'm really interested to see the dates on these guys. Maybe Hot Rod for Q2 and Shockwave for late Q2/Q3. Both seem further along than Primal. I expect him late next year.

aparisi2274

First look at MP Hot Rod and Shockwave.....

Masterpiece-Hot-Rod-2.0.jpg

Masterpiece-Shockwave.jpg

Masterpiece-Hot-Rod-2.0-02.jpg

Masterpiece-Shockwave-02.jpg

Masterpiece-Shockwave-and-Hot-Rod.jpg

yami4ct

That shockwave looks all kinds of bad with the tiny legs and feet. Hotrod is ok, but still looks a bit weirdly proportioned

Shockwave's legs are very accurate to the original G1 model.

The feet are a bit smaller, but that's probably a transformation issue. It's fine not to like it, but you can't fault the MP line for going for G1 proportions.

Shockwave's legs are very accurate to the original G1 model.

The feet are a bit smaller, but that's probably a transformation issue. It's fine not to like it, but you can't fault the MP line for going for G1 proportions.

Yeah, I know the model well. I'm just saying the legs(mostly the thighs) and feet are way too small in proportion to the top. Then again, it could just be the angle of the pic

yami4ct

Stealing a digibash of Hot Rod in color. Credit goes to Process from TFW

He looks much better in color. The way the car folds into the chest look a bit awkward still, but hopefully the transformation locks a bit more of that in.

Also sounds like Shockwave will have lights and sounds. I sort of expected the lights at least, but very fun news if true.

Enkidu

Shockwave looks pretty good. It avoids the fat legs of Quakewave but I don't really like the head shape as much, I'd prefer it if it was a bit wider. I have a preference for official figures though so this guy will probably replace my Quakewave. Height might be an issue though, if Hot Rod is carbot sized (which admittedly is not guaranteed) then Shockwave looks to be a bit short compared to MP-10, no?

yami4ct

Shockwave looks pretty good. It avoids the fat legs of Quakewave but I don't really like the head shape as much, I'd prefer it if it was a bit wider. I have a preference for official figures though so this guy will probably replace my Quakewave. Height might be an issue though, if Hot Rod is carbot sized (which admittedly is not guaranteed) then Shockwave looks to be a bit short compared to MP-10, no?

Someone already did a quick editing comparison. MP Hot Rod is just slightly shorter than Tracks (who's pretty tall for a car MP). That makes Shockwave around MP Seeker size. I think that's slightly shorter than the model, but it's really close.

Jobbs

Banned
Ironhide makes me so happy. I don't know why. Tickles the kid in me. Tracks/Roadrage also looks awesome. And Shockwave & Hotrod, frankly.

edit; Okay, I do know why. When I was very little, like 5 or 6, I got Ratchet. I expected him to be a robot like in the cartoon. The van looked good, but the robot mode looked... Like nothing I'd ever seen. Hideous. I actually cried.

yami4ct

Just saw someone mentioned that since this Hot Rod doesn't have to become Rodimus, we might actually be able to get full movie colors. I sure hope that happens. I fully expect them to go burgundy/yellow like his later cartoon look, but that bright magenta would look glorious.

Drayco21

I've never bought a Masterpiece figure before, both because, as someone who was not around in the G1 era, the aesthetic doesn't do much for me most of the time, and because I'm way too much of a poor student to even try to get in on a collection, but that Shockwave might just break me.

Man, what a cool character. What a cool design. Consistently great in every continuity.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
He could stand to have another half inch or so of toe, but overall that's definitely a better rendition of Shockwave than the third parties have managed.

Enkidu

Someone already did a quick editing comparison. MP Hot Rod is just slightly shorter than Tracks (who's pretty tall for a car MP). That makes Shockwave around MP Seeker size. I think that's slightly shorter than the model, but it's really close.
Seeker height? Ugh, that makes this very difficult for me. I'll need to see a group shot before I can say for sure, but a Shockwave that is shorter than Soundwave just doesn't seem right to me at all.

yami4ct

Seeker height? Ugh, that makes this very difficult for me. I'll need to see a group shot before I can say for sure, but a Shockwave that is shorter than Soundwave just doesn't seem right to me at all.

Now I'm seeing comparisons with Ironhide and people saying he's MP-10 height. With the risers and everything, it's hard to get a good read. I think it's a safe bet he'll be really close to the model scale chart height. Takara hasn't really disappointed in that respect yet.

A customer brought in a Binaltech Meister, AKA Jazz, for trade today, and I felt like snapping a couple photos. I really miss Alternators and Binaltech, they were just so cool. Love the alt modes with the detailed interiors, and I personally prefer the aesthetic of the robot modes vs the super G1 cartoon look of the current MP cars. These were ahead of their time.

Hot Rod does very little for me, but Shockwave... so bought. Would have preferred a more toy accurate colour but this will do just fine.

Jobbs

Banned
All the upcoming MPs look great to me, but I'm going to have to probably pass on Shockwave. The price tag is just too much. Maybe a Hasbro version will come out later for $60 and I'll be able to grab it off Ebay for $120.

Savitar

Always loved Shockwave's design, it always seemed so much more alien and thus unsettling compared to many other designs.

Firemind

Anime Export has Shockwave for preorder at approximately $100 ex shipping, but apparently their customer service isn't very reliable and you have to pay upfront. Decisions, decisions...

Wait for Hobby Link Japan or my favorite Nippon-Yassan preorders. N-Y doesnt charge upfront and usually is as cheap or cheaper than AE with shipping. Both should pop up soon...

Those Masterpieces are sick as, I may need to get back into the collecting game. There've been too many nice Masterpieces, aren't we supposedly getting Optimus Primal as well?

Savitar

I wonder if one day someone will recreate the scene of Shockwave strolling below all the Autobots deactivated. You know, from the issue with him on the cover. Yeah that one.

Toxi

Banned
Those Masterpieces are sick as, I may need to get back into the collecting game. There've been too many nice Masterpieces, aren't we supposedly getting Optimus Primal as well?
Yep! And they're going with a show-accurate gorilla mode for the first time. Can't wait for the first images.

Enkidu

Shockwave looks great, he really manages to look far more expressive than Quakewave does. The height is definitely acceptable as well, and I really like how, if you ignore the optional show-accurate backpack, he does not seem to have any partsforming. The color somehow manages to be even more off than Quakewave, but I feel this still works better even if I would have preferred a darker purple.

Hot Rod on the other hand is unfortunately not grabbing me right now.

Edit:
One thing I noticed though is that Shockwave's Decepticon symbols seems to move around. I really hope he does not come with stickers because that would really be a bummer to me.

I don't understand how Shockwave's backpacks work. He seems to have two, a hollow gray one that's obviously his gun muzzle, and a solid purple one with a switch and a tab that goes... um... I have no clue. Is it just an extra part for G1 accuracy? What do the switch and tab do?

Other than that, it looks so good that it might be the first Masterpiece I buy aside from the original MP-01 Optimus.

NEO0MJ

I don't understand how Shockwave's backpacks work. He seems to have two, a hollow gray one that's obviously his gun muzzle, and a solid purple one with a switch and a tab that goes... um... I have no clue. Is it just an extra part for G1 accuracy? What do the switch and tab do?

From what I can see he's a bit of a partsformer. You can attach the extra parts of the gun to him if you want or you can leave them out.

Enkidu

I don't think any parts of the gun is partsforming. If you are ok with the grey backpack then there is no partsforming. If you want the accurate purple backback then you need to clip it on to the grey backpack. When he's in alt-mode the purple backpack can be used as some sort of stand.

Firemind

I don't think any parts of the gun is partsforming. If you are ok with the grey backpack then there is no partsforming. If you want the accurate purple backback then you need to clip it on to the grey backpack. When he's in alt-mode the purple backpack can be used as some sort of stand.
Yeah, I don't think it's partsforming either. I imagine it looks a bit like this:

Tizoc

Bah gawd GAF, MTMTE #45 was brilliant, friggin' brilliant
Who says Decepticons have no sense of humor

Dat last page doe, DAT LAST PAGE
FORT MAX IS BACK TO SLAG SOME DECEPTICREEPS!

No use running or hiding, your past catches up to you.

Also Krok was(is?) a Monoformer

NEO0MJ

Speaking of Transformers toys, I'm really surprised they haven't released MP-10 without the trailer. I want the figure but I find the trailer pointless and a waste.

Speaking of Transformers toys, I'm really surprised they haven't released MP-10 without the trailer. I want the figure but I find the trailer pointless and a waste.

Buy MP10 and sell off everything else u don't want?

How can i get a Starscream MP if i don't live near a TRU that has it in stock? (Without paying ebay tax) .

Check tfw2005.com. Might find one a bit cheaper in the for sale section.

Top Bottom