• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

yami4ct

Hot Rods entire upper body looks too big. It's weird.

He definitely could use some sort of collapsing on the hood. It's odd. He's very angle dependent. From a lot of frontward angels, he looks great. From the back he looks decent too. Catch it on a side angle and the squareness of the chest becomes hugely apparent. I'll be interested to see how it looks in most display uses. The fishing pose looks nice at least.

I'll get him because he's an MP and they never go down in price, so why not, but I'm not excited about him as I'd like to be. The fact they didn't go with movie style super magenta is kind of a downer as well. He looks pretty good for what he is, but definitely one of the weaker car MPs.

Shockwave is brilliant. I like the way he integrates the barrel for a perfect transformation while also offering the stand/backpack if you want to cover it up. The head sculpt is amazing as well. The inclusion of the mini-shockwave and alternate clear hand parts are perfect. Takara really killed it with him. Now just hope MP Screamer and the future Megs 2.0 will be able to use mini-wave. I'm sure they will. I have zero complaints. I cannot wait to get him.

He definitely could use some sort of collapsing on the hood. It's odd. He's very angle dependent. From a lot of frontward angels, he looks great. From the back he looks decent too. Catch it on a side angle and the squareness of the chest becomes hugely apparent. I'll be interested to see how it looks in most display uses. The fishing pose looks nice at least.

I'll get him because he's an MP and they never go down in price, so why not, but I'm not excited about him as I'd like to be. The fact they didn't go with movie style super magenta is kind of a downer as well. He looks pretty good for what he is, but definitely one of the weaker car MPs.
It's not just the hood though, his entire upper body looks like they're too big for his legs. His arms are thicker than his thighs, it looks really weird to me.

I'm also annoyed they again went for the single piece hip/crotch flap that MP-09 used. Why is it not segmented? It looks pretty bad when you lift the legs.

I'll pick him up, but I'm not as thrilled about it as I want to be.

yami4ct

It's not just the hood though, his entire upper body looks like they're too big for his legs. His arms are thicker than his thighs, it looks really weird to me.

I'm also annoyed they again went for the single piece hip/crotch flap that MP-09 used. Why is it not segmented? It looks pretty bad when you lift the legs.

I'll pick him up, but I'm not as thrilled about it as I want to be.

The problem with Hot Rod is that his design has way too much mass shifting, at least for current engineering. That car has way more stuff than the robot does. That leaves you with very few places to shove the extra parts in the design. Either you can put it in the chest, or in the backpack. You could arguably try something like Classic's Roddy did and shove some of the hood/front of the car into the arms, but I'm not sure where those parts could even end up going.

Herbs

Banned
It definitely seems like they went for this aesthetic.

27182113d1283456092-g1-animated-hot-rod-rodimus-heroic.jpg

Not really an option for me. Selling anything off where I live is really difficult and international shipping would make buying from me an unappealing offer.

Ironíacally, I would love to buy a trailer with Roller and such... for my MP-01. If you come across a shrink-enlarge gun, I'd happily buy the trailer from you.

Bah gawd GAF, MTMTE #45 was brilliant, friggin' brilliant
FORT MAX IS BACK TO SLAG SOME DECEPTICREEPS!

That it was. That stand-up routine had me in stitches, especially since it's not been a month since I read the six phase protocol wiki page and all its "phase N is not described".

Also Krok was(is?) a Monoformer

I don't remember what
he turns into, so... probably?

Yeah, I don't think it's partsforming either. I imagine it looks a bit like this:

Oooh, I see. Thanks for the clarification! I wish we had any decent shots from the back with the gray/muzzle backpack, though. The fact that we haven't kind of already seems like it won't look too hot.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Last Transformers comic I read was the one with Unicron, back when I was a kid.
What's the best way to buy all the issues after that (of both series, because afair it was split into 2)?

Edit:
Looks like this was the last issue I've read.

Bloodember

What's the best way to buy all the issues after that (of both series, because afair it was split into 2)?

Edit:

Your best bet is trades. Unless you actually want every issue, then eBay.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Oh, I forgot to mention "digitally". I'm not interested in paperback comics, plus importing them to Japan would be too much of a hassle.

Assuming it's available in Japan, get the IDW comic app or the IDW Transformers comic app and buy the Classics collections. There are 8 of them, and they include every US Marvel comic, plus the Headmasters series, the movie adaptation, and all the Transformers Universe bios.

Mindwipe

Oh, I forgot to mention "digitally". I'm not interested in paperback comics, plus importing them to Japan would be too much of a hassle.

Comixology. I think they're still sold in Japan on there - certainly MTMTE was one of the biggest selling western comics digitally in Japan a few years ago.

There'll probably be a sale at some point.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Assuming it's available in Japan, get the IDW comic app or the IDW Transformers comic app and buy the Classics collections. There are 8 of them, and they include every US Marvel comic, plus the Headmasters series, the movie adaptation, and all the Transformers Universe bios.
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Too bad that despite the app being available here, 99% of the Transformer comics are not purchasable because of a region lock.

Edit:
Comixology. I think they're still sold in Japan on there - certainly MTMTE was one of the biggest selling western comics digitally in Japan a few years ago.

There'll probably be a sale at some point.
Checked the comixology app, Transformers don't show up in search, so I guess they're region locked too.

Mindwipe

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Too bad that despite the app being available here, 99% of the Transformer comics are not purchasable because of a region lock.

Edit:

Checked the comixology app, Transformers don't show up in search, so I guess they're region locked too.

Shit, actually now you mention it I remember reading that.

Which probably means there are no venues that won't require you to get around a region lock, unless Humble Bundle do another Transformers sale.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Shit, actually now you mention it I remember reading that.

Which probably means there are no venues that won't require you to get around a region lock, unless Humble Bundle do another Transformers sale.
I've heard that TMNT got unlocked recently here, maybe Transformers will be next.

Tizoc

TF Devastation is good y'all hurry up and play it!

Here's Super Best Friends play the first 40 minutes of the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RyL6flPbCw

Edit:

More than meets the eye is currently the best Transformers comic, on Wednesday Humblebundle.com do Book Bundles; various comics, books or audio books sold in bulk at a discounted prices.
If we get a Transformers or IDW bundle this week you may be in luck.

Here's my suggested reading order for the current comic series-
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171788347&postcount=463

The old comic series had good stories in them though like Target 2006, but the modern series is really really good.

TF Devastation is good y'all hurry up and play it!

Here's Super Best Friends play the first 40 minutes of the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RyL6flPbCw

More than meets the eye is currently the best Transformers comic, on Wednesday Humblebundle.com do Book Bundles; various comics, books or audio books sold in bulk at a discounted prices.
If we get a Transformers or IDW bundle this week you may be in luck.

Here's my suggested reading order for the current comic series-
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171788347&postcount=463

The old comic series had good stories in them though like Target 2006, but the modern series is really really good.

MTMTE is really something supernatural. It's like reading something from an alternate dimension where the (relatively speaking) more grounded Alan Moore circa Promethea was revealed to be a secret, huge Transformers fan since childhood, and then given a series of his own to do what he damn well pleased.

Also Re: Devastation, my PS4 preorder should ship from Amazon soon. :)

Drayco21

I want to start reading the IDW comics and noticed that in November a ''More Than Meets The Eye'' boxset is releasing:

http://www.idwpublishing.com/product/transformers-more-than-meets-the-eye-box-set/

Would this be a good start or am I missing earlier comics then?

edit: Oh and I would die for a G1 Shockwave toy, are these still being made ? (sorry, my last bought Transformer was in 1988 or something lol)

More Than Meets The Eye works fine as a standalone series, for the most part. The stuff that lead up to it is discussed in such a way that you'll get what you need, and it's mostly just a vehicle to get them moving on toward shenanigans and adventure. I imagine the Dark Cybertron stuff not making a lick of sense without Robots in Disguise to go along with it, though.

Bloodember

How is AmiAmi?? I generally order from Amazon Japan and then have my friend ship it to me here in NYC. Are shipping rates comparable? I don't want to pay a fortune for shipping.

Thanks.
Amiami is fine, they pack your stuff secure and the shipping charges seem fair, I've only ordered from one other Japanese site and their shipping charges was similar.

Jobbs

Banned
How is AmiAmi?? I generally order from Amazon Japan and then have my friend ship it to me here in NYC. Are shipping rates comparable? I don't want to pay a fortune for shipping.

Thanks.

Good, and the shipping is quite reasonable, better than I'd ahve thought before I ever started buying things from Japanese online stores.

The masterpiece TFers are a lot less, typically, there than on something like BBTS. For example, Tracks preorder is $40 on amiami, and $80 on BBTS. Shockwave is $105 vs. $160 on BBTS. The caveat seems to be there's often a limited window to grab these things on Amiami before they go out of stock (so get your Shockwave preorder in now if you want one).

This is due in part to BBTS markup, which is understandable, but also because the currency exchange rate favors USD.

I really do LIKE BBTS, but yeah, not always the cheapest.

aparisi2274

Good, and the shipping is quite reasonable, better than I'd ahve thought before I ever started buying things from Japanese online stores.

The masterpiece TFers are a lot less, typically, there than on something like BBTS. For example, Tracks preorder is $40 on amiami, and $80 on BBTS. Shockwave is $105 vs. $160 on BBTS. The caveat seems to be there's often a limited window to grab these things on Amiami before they go out of stock (so get your Shockwave preorder in now if you want one).

This is due in part to BBTS markup, which is understandable, but also because the currency exchange rate favors USD.

I really do LIKE BBTS, but yeah, not always the cheapest.

Yeah, I preordered Shockwave and Hot Rod via Ami Ami just now. I like to support BBTS, but if I can get both figures for less than what BBTS is charging for shockwave, then I am all in.

Adding in that if you're Canadian, BBTS's prices really hit home. Factoring in the shipping is usually even more killer; amiami's is cheaper from Japan than BBTS's is from the US most of the time.

And in my experience, mayyyyybe two or three days slower, at the most.

Hero

I have been using amiami for Figma for years and they are usually have the lowest prices and never had an issue with their packaging/shipping. Only thing to beware is they don't really let you cancel pre orders and they will supposedly ban you if you do it too often.

Drayco21

I'm really bummed that this means the inevitable Soundwave remold of Blaster will be Leader. Was hoping for a Voyager, to scale better with the rest of the figures. My Decepticons are in desperate need of a Soundwave.

sol_bad

I'm really bummed that this means the inevitable Soundwave remold of Blaster will be Leader. Was hoping for a Voyager, to scale better with the rest of the figures. My Decepticons are in desperate need of a Soundwave.

It is a bit disappointing that he is leader class in a way but his original toy was quite big. He is a very nice design though.

yami4ct

Deluxes look great. Gavatron is the coolest. Rewind looks amazing and I'm sure we'll get a MTMTE Chromedome to go with him. Have no clue how to feel about the standalone heads. Hopefully means we'll see a Nightbeat with a comic accurate head and this is just for those that want the toy heads.

Blaster is the clear loser. I don't like the toy head and hopefully we'll see a toon head released as titan master. I also don't like that he's so big. I do really dig the DJ stand in base mode. That's hilarious.

Those are all new to me! I see they're going balls to the wall with the headmaster theme. REWIND! YES! And he's a triple-changer! Now we just need Chromedome, which again, considering the theme, seems likely. I hope Rewind is standalone, although that Blaster is not half bad so if it's packed with him that's kind of OK too.

I see they had fun using Megs as Galvs' headmaster. I also see these are classic headmasters, with separate helmet pieces, which is kind of a bummer. Was the recent Brainstorm Voyager a helmetsmaster too?

Wow, Hardhead and Skullcruncher are Deluxes... I'm not used to see Headmasters of that size (got none of the originals), their heads must be tiny in robot mode...

If we get a Chromedome, would you MTMTE fans want it as a Deluxe to make it closer to Rewind, or a Voyager to preserve their relative sizes in MTMTE?

Edit: I almost didn't need to check, because Hasbro has been consistently been giving nods to IDW comics as of late, but Rewind does, indeed, have his head camera. :)

yami4ct

Do you guys think we'll get a deluxe Brainstorm or will Hasbro/Takara just stick with the current voyager?

I highly doubt Brainstorm is going to get redone. There are quite a few other headmasters to do and they have no real reason to go back to Brainstorm. Brainstorm is already good enough. They also have shown they've got zero issues making headmasters out of characters who weren't in the first place.

Only way they redo Brainstorm is if he's an easy repaint from something else, but I think they can use that repaint elsewhere.

Ponn

Banned
I preordered MP Shockwave. I was always jealous of my friend in elementary school who had OG Shockwave. I don't even remember seeing him on a toy shelf.

God I hope they finally release Transformers the Movie on blu-ray for the anniversary. It seems like a no brainer with all these releases of characters from the movie and seasons after it.

Top Bottom