• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Jobbs

Banned
I'm an adult who likes toys, video games, and makes video games. I could give a shit less if anyone thinks that's childish. I find the idea of apologizing for what you like or hiding what you like to be far more sad than liking something that someone thinks you shouldn't.

You should hear the girly music that's in my spotify, too.

Aske

I agree. I think most people in the thread agree. Probably not something I should kid around about though, since enjoying awesome shit is frequently frowned upon by others.

I'm finding it hard to find info on other third party figures. DX9 doesn't even seem to have a proper website; just a Facebook page. Pity, as I'd love to read about their design process. Are there other companies known for putting out great products that rival the Takara offerings?

I'm especially interested in a Masterpiece grade Starscream. The (Toys R Us exclusive?) US version of the newest MP figure lacks the cape and crown of the Japanese MP release and alters the colouring, but it tightens the tolerances and fixes the floppy torso issue that affects the Japanese model. If the price wasn't so high I could overlook the issues of either version, but I'd love a good alternative. Leaning towards the US version, though that may be impossible to find now. Floppy torso aside, at least with the Takara Starscream, I could do this:

Q0rbtu4.jpg

Firemind

I haven't been able to get that stupid Headmaster Galvatron out of my head. The old-school original grey toy was pretty much the greatest thing in my life as a kid, and I've been weighing the pros and cons of the new figure with an obsession unbecoming of someone who has never bought a toy as an adult.

Reading up on various Takara Masterpiece Collection Transformers led me to a third party Galvatron called Mania King. He didn't look great - about what I expected from a third party Transformers homage.

Then I found DX9's Tyrant.

Look at this guy. That's...a perfect Galvatron.

He's the third of DX9's Masterpiece-grade figures, and their Rodimus Prime destroys the Takara Masterpiece equivalent in terms of detail and quality. The head-sculpt alone on this figure is magnificent, but little details like the properly proportioned kneecaps, the colouring, the working rubber caterpillar tracks in canon mode, the fact that every finger is articulated...I don't think I could be more impressed. And it releases at the end of this month.

I tried to stop myself from pre-ordering, but not very hard. The sensible Autobot on my right shoulder, who was telling me not to spend $165 plus shipping to Canada on a goddamn Transformer, might have won me over; but the Decepticon on my left blasted a hole clean through his chest with a plasma cannon.

Here's a review of the pre-production version of Tyrant, and though this video's in Japanese, it shows the transformation more clearly than this review in English. The Japanese video also provides superb size comparisons to other figures, and appears to have more accurate lighting, but they both beautifully illustrate the ridiculous level of quality and jaw-dropping technical complexity of the figure.
The knee caps aren't movie accurate though?

400px-Tftm1986c.jpg

And the ball-shaped shoulder joints look terrible.

Aske

The knee caps aren't movie accurate though?

400px-Tftm1986c.jpg

And the ball-shaped shoulder joints look terrible.

...Who disrupts my disruption of Starscream's coronation?

The kneecaps are closer than any other version I've seen. For some reason, other toys make them far too big. The shoulders are awesome; you are wrong. Really, the only thing I don't love about this interpretation are the feet, and I can totally live with them. I don't need perfect movie accuracy if the spirit of the greatest Transformer ever has been captured successfully.

...Who disrupts my disruption of Starscream's coronation?

The kneecaps are closer than any other version I've seen. For some reason, other toys make them far too big. The shoulders are awesome; you are wrong. Really, the only thing I don't love about this interpretation are the feet, and I can totally live with them. I don't need perfect movie accuracy if the spirit of the greatest Transformer ever has been captured successfully.

It looks fine to me, but then again I'm used to those kinds of shoulders from Soul of Chogokin.

If you particularly love Galvatron, there is no reason not to pick the upcoming Voyager too for 30$ more. :)

Tangentially, it's funny how IDW's depiction of Galvatron has soured me on him. It doesn't help that he's behind some of the less stellar arcs of RID (the comic) and that he's so one-dimensional, even compared to other RID characters (let alone, obviously, MTMTE's ridiculously deep and developed characters).

Savitar

I'm disappointed in his IDW role as well, so not what I was expecting. Kinda wanting to see him to say he's had enough of Soundwaves shit, blast him, blow up the place and get some crazy followers who go off to wreck stuff in a crazy insane way.

Voror

Are those big hardcover Phase 2 Collections worth getting? I already have the first four volumes of MTME, so I know I'd essentially be getting those again but some of the additional stuff included in those interests me along with the larger format.

Or would I be fine sticking with the trades and picking up some of the other material like Autocracy? RID never really interested me as much from what I'd read of it honestly.

Aske

It looks fine to me, but then again I'm used to those kinds of shoulders from Soul of Chogokin.

If you particularly love Galvatron, there is no reason not to pick the upcoming Voyager too for 30$ more. :)

Oh, I have reasons not to pick that up. Galvatron is not, and would never be, a Headmaster. On top of that, the flip-up helmet doesn't attach nicely to the head, so it ends up hiding the face in a way that's not apparent in the renders. I actually don't hate the spaceship transformation, which is the thing that bugs a lot of people; but even if the Tyrant figure wasn't an option, I don't think I'd pick up the new Titanmaster. Now, if and when Takara/Hasbro release a Masterpiece Galvatron, that would make me sit up and take notice.

Tangentially, it's funny how IDW's depiction of Galvatron has soured me on him. It doesn't help that he's behind some of the less stellar arcs of RID (the comic) and that he's so one-dimensional, even compared to other RID characters (let alone, obviously, MTMTE's ridiculously deep and developed characters).

I still haven't read the comics. One of these days I'll order the trades and check them out. I get the impression that they'll be like Marvel's Ultimates or the Buffy comics that came after the show: recognizable, but still very, very different; in many ways really messing with beloved characters. Also, there's not much Galvatron, and from the sound of it, he's not especially impressive or true to his cartoon persona in the comics.

The original movie and Season 3 of the cartoon is by far and away my favourite TF period, and I always wanted more from that final third of G1. Just started watching the Japanese Headmasters series that offers exactly that, although I'm keeping my expectations low. The Galvatron/Cyclonus dynamic is probably my favourite thing in the TFverse. I loved how it was the polar opposite to Megatron/Starscream's relationship. Not sure how well that will be preserved in the Japanese show.

It does sound like the comics are heavily focused on the Cybertronians in space, and I'm all about that. I know I'll enjoy them when I get around to reading them, but the above explains why I haven't devoured them yet.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Oh, I have reasons not to pick that up. Galvatron is not, and would never be, a Headmaster. On top of that, the flip-up helmet doesn't attach nicely to the head, so it ends up hiding the face in a way that's not apparent in the renders. I actually don't hate the spaceship transformation, which is the thing that bugs a lot of people; but even if the Tyrant figure wasn't an option, I don't think I'd pick up the new Titanmaster. Now, if and when Takara/Hasbro release a Masterpiece Galvatron, that would make me sit up and take notice.

I'll be pretty surprised if an MP Galvatron doesn't show up in the latter half of 2016 for the movie's 30th anniversary.

NEO0MJ

It's funny how the one that has the more obscure characters ended up being the better of the two.

Yeah, the head doesn't look too hot in the photos, I assume they're just not that flattering, but we'll see. Perhaps check the earlier Deluxe?

I still haven't read the comics. One of these days I'll order the trades and check them out. I get the impression that they'll be like Marvel's Ultimates or the Buffy comics that came after the show: recognizable, but still very, very different; in many ways really messing with beloved characters. Also, there's not much Galvatron, and from the sound of it, he's not especially impressive or true to his cartoon persona in the comics.

The original movie and Season 3 of the cartoon is by far and away my favourite TF period, and I always wanted more from that final third of G1. Just started watching the Japanese Headmasters series that offers exactly that, although I'm keeping my expectations low. The Galvatron/Cyclonus dynamic is probably my favourite thing in the TFverse. I loved how it was the polar opposite to Megatron/Starscream's relationship. Not sure how well that will be preserved in the Japanese show.

It does sound like the comics are heavily focused on the Cybertronians in space, and I'm all about that. I know I'll enjoy them when I get around to reading them, but the above explains why I haven't devoured them yet.

MTMTE is indescribably good. As I said before, it's as if Alan Moore wrote a Transformers comc. It's mercilessly deconstructive but only to then be beautifully reconstructive. It adds connective tissue that fills the gaps and plot holes of G1, while taking a bunch of C-list characters and turning them into incredibly developed people (not even characters anymore).

Galvatron appears on its more conventional cousin (but still more intrigue and politically charged than classic TF stories), RID, and in an early crossover between them. He's actually unchanged from G1, which is precisely the problem, particularly in said crossover which is, to me, the lowest (even if still enjoyable) point of the entire post-split run: he's Vegeta stuck inside Watchmen. In this continuity, Megatron is an entirely separate and unrelated character, and he's an infinitely more developed character, especially during its most recent half or so.

BTW, Cyclonus is one of the main characters of MTMTE and he's amazing there. Aside from getting the same great character development as everyone else and a quite unique view on everything as one of the earliest, pre-war TFs, he's an unmitigated badass. He's basically a warrior poet samurai.

It's funny how the one that has the more obscure characters ended up being the better of the two.

Not really a surprise, as it's obvious Roberts picked them precisely so he could develop them as he wanted. Still a really great choice, as he doesn't risk alienating fans of more established characters. Even with more known characters, I loved what he did: for example with Rodimus, turning his fanbase-splitting nature into a narrative device in itself.

Aske

Looks like I should pick up that IDW Phase 1 omnibus from Amazon and catch up. I need warrior-poet samurai Cyclonus in my life!

Tizoc

Nah Alan Moore's best comics still lack that which makes MTMTE awesome; MTMTE has great humor, which IMO is what sets is apart from Alan Moore's writing.
Not that Moore's comics didn't have humor mind you, his comics had more serious tone.

if anything I think MTMTE's writing style sort of reminds me of Mike Mignola but more humorous. Mignola is great at writing characters and characterization which is what MTMTE excels at.

Speaking of MTMTE, effin' Roberts dropping Megatons-

Cyclonus, Tailgate, Getaway, Rung, Skids, Whirl... issues 47, 48 and 49 belong to them.
https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/655052874788052995

excited-baby.gif

Looks like I should pick up that IDW Phase 1 omnibus from Amazon and catch up. I need warrior-poet samurai Cyclonus in my life!

You 100% do! Fair warning, he doesn't go full samurai until
he's given a Greatsword (which in this continuity is a spark and faith-powered weapon.
It's funny how the one MTMTE main character who is portrayed as a straight badass, is the one who isn't an Autobot. :D
Also applucable to you-know-who after the Cybertron trial

Nah Alan Moore's best comics still lack that which makes MTMTE awesome; MTMTE has great humor, which IMO is what sets is apart from Alan Moore's writing.
Not that Moore's comics didn't have humor mind you, his comics had more serious tone.

if anything I think MTMTE's writing style sort of reminds me of Mike Mignola but more humorous. Mignola is great at writing characters and characterization which is what MTMTE excels at.

Alan Moore does have more humorous works (like Top Ten) but Mignola's comparison is incredibly spot-on, it has the same quality of subtle, witty, character-driven yet often warm dialogue as Hellboy. Thanks, I'll use him as a reference from now on when describing the comic to newcomers!

NEO0MJ

Not really a surprise, as it's obvious Roberts picked them precisely so he could develop them as he wanted. Still a really great choice, as he doesn't risk alienating fans of more established characters. Even with more known characters, I loved what he did: for example with Rodimus, turning his fanbase-splitting nature into a narrative device in itself.

That makes a lot of sense. It's a shame Shockwave was stuck in the other book. Megatron really lucked out joining the crew. He's just so happy among them.

Tizoc

Roberts is merely following on Furman's footsteps, both used uncommonly known characters to tell the stories. Heck I think the UK comics put more focus on the underutilized character or toys more.

UK TF comic 113 was the first issue of the series Roberts ever read, and that one featured Rodimus and much of the post TF Movie characters, so that had an influence on him.

That makes a lot of sense. It's a shame Shockwave was stuck in the other book. Megatron really lucked out joining the crew. He's just so happy among them.

Well, we do get Shockwave's best (and most
(chilling
) story in MTMTE...
his origin.

Roberts is merely following on Furman's footsteps, both used uncommonly known characters to tell the stories. Heck I think the UK comics put more focus on the underutilized character or toys more.

UK TF comic 113 was the first issue of the series Roberts ever read, and that one featured Rodimus and much of the post TF Movie characters, so that had an influence on him.

I believe it was the one that hooked him, he first read eightysomething I think. He should give a rest to the ubiquitous 113 joke, it's starting to make it hard to suspend disbelief.

Old man story: I started reading TF's with the release of issue 1 in Spain in the mid-80's... and I already loved them by that point, having been given a few of them as presents.

NEO0MJ

I was so tempted to pick up a third part combiner but in the end I couldn't justify the price. I could get so much better toys at those prices.

Think I might buy an MP prime after playing devastation, though not sure whether to go Hasbro or Takara.

Well, we do get Shockwave's best (and most
(chilling
) story in MTMTE...
his origin.

It was pretty good, but I didn't like where they took his story later. Plus the product placements soured me on the story overall. It was starting to get a bit too much.

It was pretty good, but I didn't like where they took his story later. Plus the product placements soured me on the story overall. It was starting to get a bit too much.

Product placement in MTMTE? Are you sure you don't mean RID? The Combiner Wars arc was RID x Windblade.

Firemind

Is this from Season 2 of the 80s cartoon? I told myself I'd only settle for Season 1, but goddamnit that season has a lot more absurd stories that it might be worth watching, ugh.
Yeah, it's from season two. Personally, I find the second season to be more rewatchable than the first season, precisely because of how absurd it is. They even made an episode where Seaspray becomes a freaking merman! You can't make this shit up.

Tizoc

Yeah, it's from season two. Personally, I find the second season to be more rewatchable than the first season, precisely because of how absurd it is. They even made an episode where Seaspray becomes a freaking merman! You can't make this shit up.

Welp ordering the Season2 DVD set...
It also has THAT Powerglide episode :p

NEO0MJ

Are MP's being pumped out at a faster rate than ever now?

Sure feels that way. Probably helps that they're less complex and large now in comparison to how older ones were at their time. Plus in this case they're retooling a retool so they probably saved a lot of time and effort.

yami4ct

So, sounds like Ramjet will be a hyper exclusive TT Mall Exclusive in Japan. That sucks. Hasbro Asia will be releasing him too, so hopefully they don't jack up the prices to an insane amount. Also since the MP Seeker mold seems to be the one Hasbro US is least adverse to releasing over here, I have some hope the Coneheads will see a US release.

Firemind

Because they're just coneheads. It is pretty funny seeing it go $200 minimum when Hasbro Starscream could have been gotten for $60, and by funny I mean depressing.

yami4ct

Depends on what Hasbro Asia charges. It's a similar release situation, though. Skywarp is a bit of a special case since he was the last 2.0 main seeker not to see a release. Ramjet won't be as popular and that could help keep his price down.

If you don't mind waiting (possibly a couple years) I think both Skywarp and Ramjet are almost 100% guaranteed to see Hasbro US releases.

Firemind

Will they use the updated MP-11 mold or the Walmart mold for Skywarp?

My MP-06 Skywarp is missing a thumb which is seriously killing me. Damn Chinese laws.

yami4ct

It'll be the MP-11 mold.

There was a bit of doubt that hasbro would even do the 2.0 seekers for a while. After Thundercracker and Sunstorm, it seemed like they did not want to re-do SS and SW. I think them releasing Starscream shows they are absolutely willing to do that, so a Skywarp 2.0 seems like a sure bet. They adore that mold already and we got the green rainmaker of all things. No way they skip major on screen characters.

Was hoping they would do an update to the mp11 mold, but at least they're finally putting out the coneheads. I dread the $200 incoming price >_<

I pulled this from Seibertron - Rik Alvarez details why the Aligned Continuity failed.

tumblr_nwdqi0L2ta1qedozeo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nwdqi0L2ta1qedozeo2_1280.jpg

http://40.media.tumblr.com/d67e410f89e6b1fe2cafdbee72a5bdf4/tumblr_nwdqi0L2ta1qedozeo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nwdqi0L2ta1qedozeo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_nwdrd7bECR1qedozeo1_1280.jpg

And if you were wondering why Beast Hunters was such a ridiculous mess&#8230;
A few things mentioned in the panel that aren&#8217;t on these slides:
- New director wanted personal control over the season and scrapped the original plans for season 3 overnight.
- Weird obsession with awful color schemes. Lots of internal fighting over characterization and details.
- Determined to erase as much of what was originally planned as possible.
- This whole mess cost so much money and did so poorly that it closed HasLab and essentially put off Hasbro from making other major TF investments.

A lot of blame being thrown around. Seems Hasbro didn't have all its ducks in a row:

Tried to start everything off with WFC
IDW already had a few long running TF series and didn't want to kill them off to start new lines
TFP Studio wanted creative freedom and didn't want to be rigidly tied to WFC.

There were also a ton of notes from the scrapped season 3 and 4 of TFP and the failed Transformers MMO. Aligned continuity wasn't just for Transformers but GI Joe, Mask, Inhumanoids, and even Jem :

* AOE Crosshairs was originally Smokescreen
* "Aligned WAS the future." It was a ten-year plan.
* TFP Smokescreen was made from the model of MMO Prowl (we knew this already, I think)
* Skyquake was originally going to be Skywarp
* There were fights over whether or not to make Trypticon the intelligence awakened in Flying Mind, as well as whether or not Smokescreen would've had his #38. Also, there was going to be a "background reference" to Trypticon being the Nemesis but the writers forgot to add it.
* Silas' last name was originally Sumdac
* Season two would've ended with a revived Cybertron, everyone would've come home, including the Maximals. Season three would've had the Pirates (Thundertron) and a Wild West feel.
* Cosmos would've appeared and had his alt mode from a B movie set (sounds basically like the unused plan in Animated)
* The MMO game would've had "world bosses" which would've required faction team ups to defeat. Thunderwing, the Herald of Unicron from the TFP game, would've been one of these.
* By the end, Prime was costing $1.6 million an episode.
* WFC was originally a G1 prequel
* TFP was going to lead into a massive Avengers style Unit: E crossover to jumpstart the other brands participating. Ratchet and Fowler from TFP; Duke from GI Joe; Synergy from Jem and the Holograms; Princess Lollipop from Candyland; also characters from MASK, Stretch Armstrong, Micronauts, Sectaurs, Primordia (the renamed Inhumanoids) and more.
* Clarification: Unicron/Megatron/Galvatron would've teamed up with Airachnid and combined their legions of Terrorcons for Predacons Rising.
* Rik Alvarez: The books (Exodus, Exiles, Retribution and I think the Covenant too) were terrible and Rik basically rewrote them himself the night before they were published.
* The new design team for season three said "**** you" to the Binder of Revelation, wanted a green Optimus and the beasts.
* The studio didn't want Airachnid because girls. They only agreed to her if she had claws on the side of her alt mode on her toy.

Hasbro sprung Beast Hunters on Haslab and the Studio last minute which fucked both and forced the Studio to wrap up season 2s plotlines more quickly to introduce the Beast Hunters concept. Prime was supposed to be 4 seasons. This also explains why Predaking was the only Predacon Beast in season 3 and why the toys never seemed to sync up with the show. I'm very biased in that i'm team studio in this affair - I think TFP is a masterpiece as it is, even though they had to scrap a LOT of their apparent plans and Preds Rising was very clearly rushed. So glad the studio was able to fight off those awful ideas for season 3 of TFP (Green Optimus?! Why?)

I would have loved to see the Studio's original vision for Prime.

sphagnum

Banned
Sucks how everything got messed up, but that just reminds me how much I would've wanted to see Super Link/Energon as Hasbro intended it before the anime studio decided to throw their notes out the window and do their own thing.

yami4ct

Sucks how everything got messed up, but that just reminds me how much I would've wanted to see Super Link/Energon as Hasbro intended it before the anime studio decided to throw their notes out the window and do their own thing.

I feel like most of the time when Hasbro gets directly involved in the stories, it makes them worse. The IDW stuff has managed to stay constantly fun since the relaunch, but I can't say the Hasbro mandated events have been helping them.

Speaking of Anime, I'd love to see a real Transformers anime again. I love the different take on the franchise and there's quite a few awesome studios out there that could put out some super cool work. RiD in particular was my jam. Not Beast Wars good, but super fun.

sol_bad

Can anyone suggest good toys for Optimus Prime and Megatron?
I am going to order MP-10 next week but want a none MP version of him. I dislike his combined wars toy and am not interested in an movie versions of him.

yami4ct

I don't like movie toys either, but damn if RotF Leader Prime isn't one of my favorite primes ever. Had to throw him out there.

Non MP-wise, I'd recommend a few. RiD Optimus is one of my favorite Prime toys around. Just a fun figure that still holds up today. More modern-wise, I think Voyager Animated Prime and Voyager First Edition Prime Optimus are both excellent toys. Deluxe WFC Optimus is also really cool. I think Leader Class Cybertron OP is very cool as well. There's always Classics OP if you can find him for a good price.

On the Beast Wars side, the primal with the redone head released in Japan is very good, but with the MP version of him coming I can't really recommend it. Optimal Optimus is also very cool, if a bit over complicated. I also dig Lio Convoy.

For Megs, I feel like he's gotten fewer cool figures. Leader Animated Megs is probably my favorite recent one. Voyager Prime Megs is decent, but not amazing. His BW figures are OK, but all of them feel a bit lesser than their Primal counterparts. I really like the WFC Deluxe and Deluxe IDW Stealth Bomber versions of him. The Henkei version of the classics figure might be the best official G1 style figure. Avoid the MP at all cost. It's awful and outdated.

sphagnum

Banned
Speaking of Anime, I'd love to see a real Transformers anime again. I love the different take on the franchise and there's quite a few awesome studios out there that could put out some super cool work. RiD in particular was my jam. Not Beast Wars good, but super fun.

I remember years ago reading a translated interview with the director of Armada/Micron Legends who said he wanted to tell a real gritty war story but Hasbro/Takara mandated that it be bright and colorful. Which, you know, makes sense being that it's Transformers. But I feel like he still managed to slip in some stuff, especially towards the end.

Top Bottom