• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

yami4ct

I totally forgot CW Megs. He's great. I think the legs are maybe a hair bit thin, he's a bit too tall for the line and a bit unwieldy to pose, but those are super minor complaints. Definitely worth a purchase. Great paint job too and a transformation that's simple, but still really fun.

Mike M

Nick N
Cybertron Optimus is probably my most favorite incarnation in toy form, and his combination with Wing Saber is pretty cool too. RiD Op/Fire Convoy is also insanely great, though his super mode is quite the parts-former.

Dark horse third favorite: Energon Prime. Love his combination with his drones and the variations you can do with Wing Saber. Everything else about his is pretty sub par, honestly.

Preordered (and paid in full) MP Laserwave and Unite Warriors Devastator at a local (Spain) import shop. My bank account is crying in agony but this is pretty much the only treat I'm giving myself this year aside from a PS4.

I totally forgot CW Megs. He's great. I think the legs are maybe a hair bit thin, he's a bit too tall for the line and a bit unwieldy to pose, but those are super minor complaints. Definitely worth a purchase. Great paint job too and a transformation that's simple, but still really fun.

CW Megs is easily my favorite Megatron version, and as a bonus it's that version that appears in TF Devastation.

Say has the Armada cartoon aged well? Which ver. is better to watch JP or Eng. dub?

I found Armada offensively bad when I caught a couple episodes back then. I was shocked that the animation quality was so mind-bogglingly awful, it makes South Park look like Disney.

sol_bad

I don't like movie toys either, but damn if RotF Leader Prime isn't one of my favorite primes ever. Had to throw him out there.

Non MP-wise, I'd recommend a few. RiD Optimus is one of my favorite Prime toys around. Just a fun figure that still holds up today. More modern-wise, I think Voyager Animated Prime and Voyager First Edition Prime Optimus are both excellent toys. Deluxe WFC Optimus is also really cool. I think Leader Class Cybertron OP is very cool as well. There's always Classics OP if you can find him for a good price.

On the Beast Wars side, the primal with the redone head released in Japan is very good, but with the MP version of him coming I can't really recommend it. Optimal Optimus is also very cool, if a bit over complicated. I also dig Lio Convoy.

For Megs, I feel like he's gotten fewer cool figures. Leader Animated Megs is probably my favorite recent one. Voyager Prime Megs is decent, but not amazing. His BW figures are OK, but all of them feel a bit lesser than their Primal counterparts. I really like the WFC Deluxe and Deluxe IDW Stealth Bomber versions of him. The Henkei version of the classics figure might be the best official G1 style figure. Avoid the MP at all cost. It's awful and outdated.

Hmmm
That's a lot of Primes I need to look in to. Thank you!
I wasn't too interested in combined wars Megatron since he was leader class and I want him to be the same class as Optimus. I probably should have mentioned that earlier, sorry.

NEO0MJ

It's funny how even as a leader sized tank he still has tiny legs, lol.

Also, I think that's the best Megs we'll get in coming decade. I don't think he's getting a second MP.

l
CW Megs is easily my favorite Megatron version, and as a bonus it's that version that appears in TF Devastation.

Not really. Sure he turns into a Tank but his robot form is more in line with his gun form.

Tizoc

I really want to know wtf they were smoking back in the 80s
Synopsis of the episode BOT said:
The Combaticons enter an unidentified city for no discernible reason, then all transform to vehicle mode for no discernible reason. While transforming, Swindle knocks over Brawl for no discernible reason. Brawl expresses his displeasure for an obvious reason. They then drive (yes, even the flyers drive) about ten feet down the street and form Bruticus for no discernible reason. He is immediately destroyed with a single shot by Defensor (who's there for no discernible reason). Defensor just leaves the pile of parts alone and unsupervised, apparently not bothering to alert the other Autobots or anything. This enables Swindle—who has somehow survived without a scratch the explosion that reduced all the other Combaticons to a pile of parts — to gather up the bits. No human authorities are involved either.

Swindle then visits the generically evil foreign guy "El Presidente" on his ship filled with weapons in order to buy parts to repair the Combaticons.

Meanwhile, Megatron is running a simulation of his new orbit disruptor cannon. After Starscream whines, Megatron explains that once the Moon is knocked from orbit, they will use Soundwave's new device to control the tides. They will then use this colossal power to flood a single canyon, creating "a limitless source of power". What?

At the Combaticons' headquarters, El Presidente's men load up the weapons and more advanced computer systems from the wrecked robots, as apparently Swindle forgot about that whole "repair" thing.

From the TF Bible of the 80s cartoon
Swindle has left his fellow Combaticons inoperable, having sold their parts to the black market, an act that threatens to ruin Megatron's plans to blast Earth's moon out of its orbit. Swindle is ordered to retrieve the component or be destroyed. Meanwhile, three high school students are assigned to build a robot for the school science fair. >From the junkyard, they put together a working robot they name "Bot." When they attach him to what they think is a "high voltage circuit box" - actually Brawl's personality component - Bot goes on a violent rampage and storms off. The Autobots respond to a distress call from the kids, but Swindle reaches Bot first, retrieves the component, and makes his getaway. While the Autobots pursue Swindle, the kids hook up Bot's voice synthesizer and pick up Megatron's voice, learning the Decepticon's plans. During a battle between the Autobots and the Decepticons, the kids direct Bot to sacrifice himself by destroying the Decepticon laser aimed at the moon.

http://tfarchive.com/cartoons/bible/
BU7psEW.jpg

Mike M

Nick N
Say has the Armada cartoon aged well? Which ver. is better to watch JP or Eng. dub?
It was terrible, even at the time.

I guess the JP version would be slightly less bad without the franslation errors (seriously, at least once an episode, someone gets called the wrong name) and use of finalized animation.

Savitar

Combiner Wars Megatron is up on amazon.ca and if you got amazon prime you get a discount on it. Mine is shipped as of today, so happy to get him. Only saw the ugly Armada version around in stores.

Also was shocked to see Trypticon up, I had no idea that they had re released him. If only I had the money.

It was terrible, even at the time.

I guess the JP version would be slightly less bad without the franslation errors (seriously, at least once an episode, someone gets called the wrong name) and use of finalized animation.

Yea the animation in Armada is extremely bad, so stiff, and the english version has some of the most awful voice acting. It's painful to get through one episode.

Aske

It's funny how even as a leader sized tank he still has tiny legs, lol.

Also, I think that's the best Megs we'll get in coming decade. I don't think he's getting a second MP.

X-Transbots makes a very popular third-party Masterpiece Megatron: Apollyon. Quality of the first run was pretty sketchy, yet people still overwhelmingly love the toy. The company offered good post-sale support, tightened things up, and apparently the second run is better. If I was in the market for an MP Megatron, this is what I'd buy. Note that the orange cap in the barrel that is legally required in the US for toys-that-transform-into-guns can be easily removed.

NEO0MJ

X-Transbots makes a very popular third-party Masterpiece Megatron: Apollyon. Quality of the first run was pretty sketchy, yet people still overwhelmingly love the toy. The company offered good post-sale support, tightened things up, and apparently the second run is better. If I was in the market for an MP Megatron, this is what I'd buy. Note that the orange cap in the barrel that is legally required in the US for toys-that-transform-into-guns can be easily removed.

Oh, I know about that one. But I already have an MP Megatron and am fine with him, space rust and all.

Aske

Oh, I know about that one. But I already have an MP Megatron and am fine with him, space rust and all.

That's a relief. I feel like you'd be rolling the dice with X-Transbots. But I'm horribly tempted by their forthcoming Cyclonus. Forcing myself to hold off and wait for reviews.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

They say that, but mine is firmly glued in and I have still not been able to pull it out for fear of damaging the barrel. And the one on the silencer is never coming out, I think it would snap the plastic to pull it with any real force.

They say that, but mine is firmly glued in and I have still not been able to pull it out for fear of damaging the barrel. And the one on the silencer is never coming out, I think it would snap the plastic to pull it with any real force.

Hit it briefly with a heat gun, and it helps it come out

Aske

Twist and pull with pliers - the glue with fail. As for the one in the silencer, definitely tougher; but saw off the tip and the rest of the plug should fall out.

How are you liking the figure aside from that? Is it as fragile as reported, and if so, is it still worth owning?

Not really. Sure he turns into a Tank but his robot form is more in line with his gun form.

Nope. He's pretty much identical to the CW version, including the black uncovered tank treads on the back of his legs, the gray, covered tread backpack, the shape of his forearms, the shin pieces, and a long etcetera. He also lacks any element from even the most stylized of his gun incarnations, including the gun cannon behind his arm.

Of course, it's even more obvious in tank mode, where they even put the red button for shooting the spring-loaded missile.

logro_7.jpg

generations_combiner_wars_ldr_megatron_by_transformer_products-d88hkxf.jpg

HSB1136lg-500x500.jpg

1427540809_me1.jpeg

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Twist and pull with pliers - the glue with fail. As for the one in the silencer, definitely tougher; but saw off the tip and the rest of the plug should fall out.

How are you liking the figure aside from that? Is it as fragile as reported, and if so, is it still worth owning?

It's easily the best depiction of Megatron in toy form ever, at least until Takara gets their ass in gear and makes a 2.0 MP. It doesn't feel too fragile, outside of a couple of delicate pieces, at least no moreso than any other MP. Transformation is super convoluted and confusing, but it's not like you really get a gun Megatron to transform him a lot. He looks great on the shelf with the other MPs, but I still need to slap a symbol on his chest.
irVMCFT.jpg

Firemind

How do you guys manage to pose your toys in the open like that? If it were me, I'd get mental from all the dust that piles up in every nook and cranny over time.

Aske

Awesome. I'm so glad he's living up to expectations. I don't think there's any way I'll be able to
pass on the XTB Cyclonus.

Ovek

7Member7
How do you guys manage to pose your toys in the open like that? If it were me, I'd get mental from all the dust that piles up in every nook and cranny over time.

Take them down every now and again and spray them with compressed air, it's what I do anyway.

yami4ct

Hmmm
That's a lot of Primes I need to look in to. Thank you!
I wasn't too interested in combined wars Megatron since he was leader class and I want him to be the same class as Optimus. I probably should have mentioned that earlier, sorry.

Oh, I should add when I say RiD I mean the original Robots in Disguise, not the new cartoon. The toys for the new one are just OK at best. The old RiD figure transforms into a fire truck. It's also called Fire Convoy in Japan. You might actually be able to get the Korean release of him cheaper than the US version. They are functionally identical, so get what's cheaper if you want him.

He looks like this

Figure is 15 years old, but he's still amazing. I cannot recommend him enough. He's a wonder of engineering in a a lot of ways.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

A swiffer and a can of compressed air solves all dust problems. I also don't really care about dust on them. They seldom get dusted thoroughly unless I take one down to transform or put into storage.

Awesome. I'm so glad he's living up to expectations. I don't think there's any way I'll be able to
pass on the XTB Cyclonus.

I have their Cyclonus and Scourge on preorder specifically because I'm so happy with Megatron. X-Transbots and FansToys are the only third party toys that feel like legit MPs to me.

Aske

I have their Cyclonus and Scourge on preorder specifically because I'm so happy with Megatron. X-Transbots and FansToys are the only third party toys that feel like legit MPs to me.

Love the FansToys Swoop. Such a great looking figure. I'm not quite sold on the face, but still an amazing design. I'll be very interested in their Grimlock when it comes out.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Love the FansToys Swoop. Such a great looking figure. I'm not quite sold on the face, but still an amazing design. I'll be very interested in their Grimlock when it comes out.

All their Dinobots are fantastic so far, and I can't wait for Sludge. I hope their Grimlock lives up to the rest of them, because the official MP is way too scrawny to hang with them.

Savitar

Got to say I do love the G1 Megatron look and the fact he turns into a tank, makes so much more sense for him than a gun. Pity so many hardcore fans go ape over that.

Mike M

Nick N
Got to say I do love the G1 Megatron look and the fact he turns into a tank, makes so much more sense for him than a gun. Pity so many hardcore fans go ape over that.
I find it kind of baffling, honestly. He's been a tank longer/more times than he's been a gun, it's frankly a better alt-mode, and the CW version in particular does a solid job of retaining his G1 look in robot mode.

Do people flip out when Optimus is a fire truck on occasion?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I find it kind of baffling, honestly. He's been a tank longer/more times than he's been a gun, it's frankly a better alt-mode, and the CW version in particular does a solid job of retaining his G1 look in robot mode.

The love of the OG anything dies hard in a fandom.

Holy shit yes, at least when it was first revealed for RiD. The furor when they finally went back to vehicle alt modes but Optimus wasn't a flatnose tractor trailer was insane. Then the toy was awesome and everyone shut the hell up about it. There are people who are still angry that he turns into a longnose cab in the movies, and he's been doing that in various incarnations since G2.

NEO0MJ

Nope. He's pretty much identical to the CW version, including the black uncovered tank treads on the back of his legs, the gray, covered tread backpack, the shape of his forearms, the shin pieces, and a long etcetera. He also lacks any element from even the most stylized of his gun incarnations, including the gun cannon behind his arm.

There are a lot of hints from CW Megatron in his robot form, I agree on that, but I still feel he's more like his traditional G1 self, especially with the prominent shoulder triggers. Plus, classic fusion cannon. Combiner wars Megatron comes as more bulky as well. Here's how he's drawn in the comics.

mtmte_megatron_by_markerguru-d7ay2hl.jpg

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I initially disagreed with Weltall Zero, but his post convinced me, especially the lack of shoulder gun barrel. The Devastation Megs is definitely CW Megs.

yami4ct

I have no issue when a new Megs has a new alt mode or a G1 inspired Megs turns into something else. Heck, my favorite Megatron designs are the IDW Stealth Bomber and Animated VTOL. The only time I would take issue is when something is actually supposed to be G1 Megs, like an MP. Those do have to be guns.

Firemind

My only issue is that the slim and elongated tank barrel shape doesn't match the original design of the Fusion Cannon. In that sense, he should be a gun + scope. :p

Though I suppose this design kind of resembles a tank barrel.

250px-MegatronTFUMarvel.jpg

Savitar

True. Depends a lot on the artist and what toy Hasbro wanted to promote at the time.

This was one of the main issues with Dark Cybertron, one artist would not do the characters exactly as they should be. Starscream for instance never had the shoulder things.

Course it use to be worse years ago when the movies first started to hit, Bumblebee was portrayed as six or seven ways in a few months.

There are a lot of hints from CW Megatron in his robot form, I agree on that, but I still feel he's more like his traditional G1 self, especially with the prominent shoulder triggers. Plus, classic fusion cannon. Combiner wars Megatron comes as more bulky as well. Here's how he's drawn in the comics.

What is that IDW design supposed to look like? It looks nothing like either the CW or Devastation version.

The pictures speak loudly for themselves, really. If you can't see how it's pretty much identical to the CW version (shoulder "triggers" included, as the CW version also has them), then I really don't know what else to tell you.

Cheerilee

I always liked the idea that G1 Megatron's alt-mode was a simple tool of war. The founder and leader of the Decepticons, built by someone (likely an Autobot) who thought they could direct and control his violence. He was born without any right of self-determination, so he killed his master and claimed that right for himself.

It's also fits with G1 Megatron's end in Transformers the Movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzNsOGt3bHk

Unicron: I have summoned you here for a purpose.
Megatron: Nobody summons Megatron!
Unicron: Then it pleases me to be the first.

*Unicron makes an offer to Megatron*
Megatron: And?
Unicron: And nothing! You belong to me, now.
Megatron: I belong to nobody!
Unicron: Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to oblivion.
*Unicron inflicts pain on Megatron*
Megatron: Argh! No, no! I accept your terms! I accept!
Unicron: Excellent.

And that's the end of G1 Megatron. I think it works better with the idea that Megatron began his existence as a slave, belonging to someone, being summoned here and there by someone, and having overcome that slavery a long time ago, rather than Megatron simply being full of himself. Megatron effectively died as soon as he accepted that he could belong to somebody.

And then, the limiter that was once placed on Megatron (his alt-mode being a tool) is removed for his second life as Galvatron. Galvatron is a gun who can aim himself, because Unicron's preferred leash is that he can inflict pain on command. And once Unicron's out of the picture, Galvatron without a leash becomes that much more dangerous.

Aske

Love this post ^ and it plays into the idea that the Decepticons were all designed for war by the Quintessons. The Autobots were domestic slaves; the Decepticons were essentially advanced Sharkticons. All the free will in the world can only do so much to overcome the roots of Decepticon programming.

If you want to get really weird with this, remember that humans are equal parts aggressive chimp and peaceful bonobo. The Autobots are bonobos; the Decepticons are chimps. Their eternal conflict mirrors the human conflict between advancement through war verses advancement through cooperation; both on a social and individual level.

Interesting theory. You can actually fit Megs-as-tank in there as him redesigning himself to get rid of that limiter, though. It makes particular sense in the context of IDW, where 1) Megs has been both gun AND tank, and 2) Unicron doesn't (seem to) exist, so Megatron takes that role himself.

In turn, Devastation seems to be set within IDW's version of G1, especially considering Nova Prime is central to its backstory.

Aske

Do the Quintessons exist in the IDWverse? I always wanted to know more about them. The movie/season 3 of the G1 cartoon never went into detail, but they teased so much. Like the fact that there are clearly biological Quints with tentacles and only one face, who exist alongside the five-faced cybernetic variants who seem to be of a higher caste.

Savitar

Do the Quintessons exist in the IDWverse? I always wanted to know more about them. The movie/season 3 of the G1 cartoon never went into detail, but they teased so much. Like the fact that there are clearly biological Quints with tentacles and only one face, who exist alongside the five-faced cybernetic variants who seem to be of a higher caste.

They've been teased some years back in the Wheelie one shot I think it was.

At the end there was a stone and very familiar image engraved on it.

Tizoc

They've been teased some years back in the Wheelie one shot I think it was.

At the end there was a stone and very familiar image engraved on it.

One more thing
when we last see Luna 1, there are 5 thrusters on its back which might hint at quintessons.

Savitar

Got Combiner Wars Megatron(the cool one) today and it's pretty awesome. Like so many others do wish the fusion cannon was done a bit better but swinging it around always makes it look better. Only applied that one sticker to it and left the others off, they really needed transparent stickers for this guy, they stick out like a sore thumb otherwise. Plus it would have bee nice if that gun part was able to be stuck on his shoulder, it reminds me of the Predators shoulder cannon.

Yeah sounds like I have some major issues with it but mainly it's the things that stick out that make a pretty damn cool toy into a pretty damn awesome toy.

Savitar

That's pretty damn cool, but almost as expensive as the toy itself. Plus up in Canada so with shipping and dollar rate....yeah.

Still that's a nice upgrade kit.

Managed to get my Megs on amazon.ca, they were only around 44.99 plus tax.

Aske

Shipping is the killer for Canadians. Lots of these places do free shipping to the States over a certain threshold, but no such luck for those of us up north. Ordering from the Asian stores is just as expensive.

Aside from the DX9 Tyrant I have on pre-order, I'm thinking I might pick up SXS's Overclocking (Blurr). Blurr was one of my favourite G1 toys as a kid, and I love the IDW design the figure is based on. But it's not cheap, and with shipping, I'm thinking about holding off to combine him with something. I'd much rather buy him now to enjoy while I wait for Tyrant to release, but the holidays approach, so I'm penny pinching. I'll likely end up getting him in January along with the Xtransbots Eligos when that shows up, assuming it turns out to be good. Vaguely hoping for a Black Friday deal on him too.

Top Bottom