• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Aske

I've been waiting for that Galvatron.

And his little buddy being "megatron" is amusing as hell.

I've been waiting for a Galvatron, but perhaps not this one. Not sure if I can settle for a Headmaster version, though if that's what they're making, using Megatron is the best possible idea.

NEO0MJ

Did you guys see the new announcements?

I really hate how almost CGI like Hasbro's new promo shots are.

Anyways, voyager Galvatron is nice. The old generations deluxe figure always felt like it was meant to be larger. And I'm really surprised that Blaster got to be a leader.

Savitar

I've been waiting for a Galvatron, but perhaps not this one. Not sure if I can settle for a Headmaster version, though if that's what they're making, using Megatron is the best possible idea.

I would say a MP Galavatron would be superb........but most MP's are not as great as they once were. Especially detail wise.

Tizoc

What exactly is this supposed to be hah
Galvatron-Vehicle-New.jpg

yami4ct

I would say a MP Galavatron would be superb........but most MP's are not as great as they once were. Especially detail wise.

Wait. MPs are better than ever. I'd take Convoy 2.0 over 1 any day. Nor do I want to go back to the days of Starscream 1.0 falling apart if you look at him the wrong way or the absolute mess that was Megs. The playability and accuracy of modern MPs are amazing. Star Saber (and I'd argue maybe Soundwave) are the only real flops post Convoy 2.

Cheerilee

I think it sort of passes for a space cruiser mode. It's not like you need wings in space. Makes sense for Galvy to have a way of transport aside from his weird tank cannon.

That's like saying that Soundwave needs a new transformation because his tape-deck form is kind of useless.

Galvatron doesn't really need to become a big gun because he already has a rather big gun in robot mode, but by that logic Starscream doesn't need to transform into a jet because he can fly in robot mode.

I think Galvy just needs to fight some more "big" opponents to give him a chance to break out the big guns.

yami4ct

That's like saying that Soundwave needs a new transformation because his tape-deck form is kind of useless.

Galvatron doesn't really need to become a big gun because he already has a rather big gun in robot mode, but by that logic Starscream doesn't need to transform into a jet because he can fly in robot mode.

I think Galvy just needs to fight some more "big" opponents to give him a chance to break out the big guns.

He still has his original tank cannon form and it doesn't look compromised by his space cruiser mode. I don't see the issue with offering him with an alternate transformation scheme that makes more sense for transport (something I always considered a central feature of alt modes). It's not like this an MP. Artistic license is totally expected in this line.

Mike M

Nick N
Galvatron's cannon mode is a bit of an oddity compared to his cohorts all having alt modes immediately recognizable as some sort of vehicle. It wouldn't surprise me if the third mode is the result of some degree of focus testing indicating he may not sell well with just the original alt.

Cheerilee

He still has his original tank cannon form and it doesn't look compromised by his space cruiser mode. I don't see the issue with offering him with an alternate transformation scheme that makes more sense for transport (something I always considered a central feature of alt modes). It's not like this an MP. Artistic license is totally expected in this line.

I don't have a problem with them tossing out a new transformation, I just don't think he needs it.

I don't think movement is the central feature of transformations. I think it just feels that way sometimes because of the way Autobots behave when they're fighting on the front lines. They (mostly) transform into vehicles for bursts of speed, and then transform into robots to have better access to their guns. But not everybody does that. Perceptor, for example, is locked into his robot mode in a fight, because his microscope form is more suited for lab work and is useless in a fight. Blaster is similar to Soundwave. The Dinobots don't exactly get a mobility boost by transforming.

Most of the Decepticons can do the exact same things in both robot and jet mode (fly and shoot, in either mode), but they seem to transform into jets for a slight increase in their air superiority advantage over the Autobots, and transform almost-exclusively into robots while on the ground (because grounded planes are useless). Megatron and Soundwave fight side-by-side with the jets (on the ground and in the air), and never seem to miss a beat.

Megatron's transformation was never about mobility. He becomes completely useless when he transforms, and needs to have another character wield him (I've speculated that he was built to be a tool of war, under somebody's tight leash, but he cast that off long ago). Galvatron has some increased degree of mobility (he can aim himself, thankyouverymuch), but he's mostly just a stationary "big gun". If he fights Starscream in that form, it's overkill. If he fights Unicron, it's not enough. Galvatron's alt-mode was seemingly built to fight Combiners, and there's nothing wrong with that, even though most of the time he's just fighting regular-sized bots and his robot mode is more suitable, so he rarely transforms.

Drayco21

I don't have a problem with them tossing out a new transformation, I just don't think he needs it.

Maybe Galvatron himself doesn't really need it, but I'm sure it'll be a lot more useful when they inevitably retool him into another character- hopefully with some separate wings added like the back of the Silverbolt/Cyclonus mold, just to help complete the look.

I really like the idea of his cannon form existing to fight Combiners, though- really fits nicely into his IDW personality.

The limbs are already out. White Optimus should be showing up in stores within the next month.
Whoa, what?

He's been around up in Canada for two and some weeks now. I had no idea he's later in the states this go round.

Wouldn't be the first time, but still, been more uncommon as time goes by.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Whoa, what?

He's been around up in Canada for two and some weeks now. I had no idea he's later in the states this go round.

Wouldn't be the first time, but still, been more uncommon as time goes by.

I certainly haven't seen him. That might just be Los Angeles getting shit late as usual, though.

Cheerilee

I'm gonna be honest, I have no idea who Sentinel Prime is, only heard his name,

In G1, he was one of the past leaders of the Autobots, whose ghost (along with Optimus Prime and a few others) visited Rodimus Prime to give him advice whenever he had a near-death experience. He wasn't given a cool name until Transformers Animated came up with one, many years later.

In Transformers Animated, "Sentinel Prime" was an obnoxious blue jerk who was Optimus Prime's kind-of childhood friend, and also Optimus Prime's immediate superior in rank.

In the "Aligned" continuity, he was the misguided ruler of Cybertron before Optimus became a Prime, and basically responsible for the demise of Cybertron and the birth of the Decepticons.

In the terrible Bayformers 3, he was an old man/red fire truck, and the leader of the Autobots. He betrayed the Autobots because he saw that the Decepticons were going to win, but then he crashed on the Earth's Moon for a few million years. After waking up, he betrayed the Autobots again, and then got his face shot off by a psychopathic movie-Optimus after he was defeated, while he crawled on the ground and begged for mercy.

He's the Autobot version of Richard Nixon, or maybe George W Bush. And at his current rate of Flanderization, he might soon become the Autobot Hitler, or worse.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
In G1, he was one of the past leaders of the Autobots, whose ghost (along with Optimus Prime and a few others) visited Rodimus Prime to give him advice whenever he had a near-death experience. He wasn't given a cool name until Transformers Animated came up with one, many years later.

Sentinel Prime was given his name in issue #65 of the Marvel comic series, February 1990.

Mindwipe

Wasn't his big debut in the Megatron Origin comic?

Nah, he was first pictured in Legacy of Unicron in 1988 (though his head was considerably more Rodimus like, he had the right colour scheme).

He was named in 1990 by the Creation Matrix.

And his arm was shown in DW continuity in the first issue of The War Within, in discussion of his death.

ramparter

Banned
In the terrible Bayformers 3, he was an old man/red fire truck, and the leader of the Autobots. He betrayed the Autobots because he saw that the Decepticons were going to win, but then he crashed on the Earth's Moon for a few million years. After waking up, he betrayed the Autobots again, and then got his face shot off by a psychopathic movie-Optimus after he was defeated, while he crawled on the ground and begged for mercy.
Oh, I happened to watch this "movie"... so he was that guy...

NEO0MJ

Nah, he was first pictured in Legacy of Unicron in 1988 (though his head was considerably more Rodimus like, he had the right colour scheme).

He was named in 1990 by the Creation Matrix.

And his arm was shown in DW continuity in the first issue of The War Within, in discussion of his death.

I meant more in terms of having a big role in the plot.

Ponn

Banned
Has anyone watched any of the Transformers Japanese collection? I was getting the Army of Darkness and Demon Knight blu-rays from Shout and noticed they had all in one package exclusive to them on sale for $50 and picked it up on impulse. I'm having a bit of buyers remorse right now though and thinking of returning it before I open it. I also got Robot Jox, shoot me now.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Has anyone watched any of the Transformers Japanese collection? I was getting the Army of Darkness and Demon Knight blu-rays from Shout and noticed they had all in one package exclusive to them on sale for $50 and picked it up on impulse. I'm having a bit of buyers remorse right now though and thinking of returning it before I open it. I also got Robot Jox, shoot me now.

Every Japan-produced Transformers series is terrible. I own them because I'm a completist, but I have never managed to watch any of them to the end.

Ha, I'm not sure how exclusive it really is. I bought the same set from Groupon back in 2014 when they had it for $30. Still haven't watched any of it, but it goes nicely with my 25th Anniversary Matrix of Leadership Edition set.

Tizoc

All I know about the Japanese TF animes from the 90s are
They featured Star Sabre, Deathsaurus and Overlord.

All of them are villains in my eyes now :V

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
All I know about the Japanese TF animes from the 90s are
They featured Star Sabre, Deathsaurus and Overlord.

All of them are villains in my eyes now :V

Oh man, the absolute salt at TFW when the Australian English version of MP Star Saber's bio card used the IDW version of the character. Legendary.

yami4ct

Oh man, the absolute salt at TFW when the Australian English version of MP Star Saber's bio card used the IDW version of the character. Legendary.

To be fair, a large portion of the TFW community is salty at everything. That board has been absolutely ruined for me. They need to actually start moderating if they want it to be a forum where a discussion can be had about anything.

Ponn

Banned
Ha, I'm not sure how exclusive it really is. I bought the same set from Groupon back in 2014 when they had it for $30. Still haven't watched any of it, but it goes nicely with my 25th Anniversary Matrix of Leadership Edition set.

Every Japan-produced Transformers series is terrible. I own them because I'm a completist, but I have never managed to watch any of them to the end.

Ugh...basically i'm getting a "Well, it completes the Transformers G1 series and looks nice next to the other set" Sounds like polishing a turd to me. Welp, going back into the box I guess.

Aske

I haven't been able to get that stupid Headmaster Galvatron out of my head. The old-school original grey toy was pretty much the greatest thing in my life as a kid, and I've been weighing the pros and cons of the new figure with an obsession unbecoming of someone who has never bought a toy as an adult.

Reading up on various Takara Masterpiece Collection Transformers led me to a third party Galvatron called Mania King. He didn't look great - about what I expected from a third party Transformers homage.

Then I found DX9's Tyrant.

Look at this guy. That's...a perfect Galvatron.

He's the third of DX9's Masterpiece-grade figures, and their Rodimus Prime destroys the Takara Masterpiece equivalent in terms of detail and quality. The head-sculpt alone on this figure is magnificent, but little details like the properly proportioned kneecaps, the colouring, the working rubber caterpillar tracks in canon mode, the fact that every finger is articulated...I don't think I could be more impressed. And it releases at the end of this month.

I tried to stop myself from pre-ordering, but not very hard. The sensible Autobot on my right shoulder, who was telling me not to spend $165 plus shipping to Canada on a goddamn Transformer, might have won me over; but the Decepticon on my left blasted a hole clean through his chest with a plasma cannon.

Here's a review of the pre-production version of Tyrant, and though this video's in Japanese, it shows the transformation more clearly than this review in English. The Japanese video also provides superb size comparisons to other figures, and appears to have more accurate lighting, but they both beautifully illustrate the ridiculous level of quality and jaw-dropping technical complexity of the figure.

The only thing wrong I see about your post is the self-stigmatization about buying something you want. I've always thought that being ashamed of things like this is (in general, not specifically you, please take no offence) far more childish than the opposite, and particularly in NeoGAF I find the arbitrary distinction between that and other pastimes society finds equally childish (hint: videogame forum) baffling at best.

Hopefully getting this one and realizing people aren't suddenly giving you dirty looks or that your world is otherwise changed (aside from now including a delightful piece f hand candy) will help with that. :)

Aske

The only thing wrong I see about your post is the self-stigmatization about buying something you want. I've always thought that being ashamed of things like this is (in general, not specifically you, please take no offence) far more childish than the opposite, and particularly in NeoGAF I find the arbitrary distinction between that and other pastimes society finds equally childish (hint: videogame forum) baffling at best.

Hopefully getting this one and realizing people aren't suddenly giving you dirty looks or that your world is otherwise changed (aside from now including a delightful piece f hand candy) will help with that. :)

My tongue was firmly in my cheek, please don't worry! There's no self-shaming afoot. Also, I'm fully aware that I'm posting in a thread largely populated by adults who collect these things. No, to be honest, the prospect of this thing arriving in the mail makes me feel like a kid again. When I feel that hype train coming, I board it every time.

Ovek

7Member7
Any opinions on Bad Cube's Wardog?

It's great, has a great bot mode and alt mode but the transformation is extremely fiddly.

It's also one of the few 3rd party figures that will stand next (in any mode) to MP figures and not look out of place.

My tongue was firmly in my cheek, please don't worry! There's no self-shaming afoot. Also, I'm fully aware that I'm posting in a thread largely populated by adults who collect these things. No, to be honest, the prospect of this thing arriving in the mail makes me feel like a kid again. When I feel that hype train coming, I board it every time.

All's good then. Glad to have you aboard!

Top Bottom