• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Um, weird question, but if anyone here has CW Mirage (or Drag Strip, I guess), is he taller in leg mode than other bots in the line, like all the Protectobots? Or is there any trick to its transformation? Mine seems to remain a few millimeter taller than any of the Protectobots in leg mode no matter what, which means he's useless as a leg (the combined mode is unbalanced) unless I get any other that is as tall.

I think you need to fiddle with the spoiler section. It should fold up.

The bottom piece with the car mode spoiler where the port for the foot can actually tab out and fold backwards onto the leg, revealing a better fit for the leg mode and making it the same size as the rest of the deluxe legs.

I think you need to fiddle with the spoiler section. It should fold up.

Thanks a ton, that did it! I was confused by the fact that the unfolded spoiler piece already has a peg hole where the foot would go.

taoofjord

So I grew up watching the original G1 cartoon, although I was never a gigantic fan of it aside from the movie which I looooove. I just always remember hating Spike and the other humans. That said, I just played through Devastation and am dying for more Transformers something. Should I try going back to the original cartoon but skip straight to season 2 which is apparently the best season? Or should I try the G1 comics, assuming they haven't aged poorly? The collected volumes for IDW also look fun, the art is pretty sweet too, are these volumes a total reboot or a continuation of the original comics? All I know is that I'd like to start with something that still has the original transformers in it.

Aske

So I grew up watching the original G1 cartoon, although I was never a gigantic fan of it aside from the movie which I looooove. I just always remember hating Spike and the other humans. That said, I just played through Devastation and am dying for more Transformers something. Should I try going back to the original cartoon but skip straight to season 2 which is apparently the best season? Or should I try the G1 comics, assuming they haven't aged poorly? The collected volumes for IDW also look fun, the art is pretty sweet too, are these volumes a total reboot or a continuation of the original comics? All I know is that I'd like to start with something that still has the original transformers in it.

No no no - skip straight to season 3. People like the characters less, but they're objectively wrong. It's by far the best and most consistent of the original seasons. It's aged almost as well as the movie.

If you need more of the pre-movie cast, go back to season 1. It's a mixed bag - some episodes have aged much better than others - but the same is true of season 2, and there's too much quality in there to skip it altogether.

I've not read the old Marvel comics, but most definitely check out the IDW books. I just got into them, and they're phenomenal for fans of the G1 show. Also, if you have access to a PS3/360, play the High Moon Cybertron games.

Mike M

Nick N
Season 3 is interesting in that there's an ongoing arc about a Quintesson arms shipment that I never even recognized as a kid.

Aske

Season 3 is interesting in that there's an ongoing arc about a Quintesson arms shipment that I never even recognized as a kid.

Five Faces of Death is a glorious multi-episode sequel to Transformers: The Movie (and Desertion of the Dinobots is the prequel; and I hope we get the trilogy in a transforming Blu-ray box set).

On top of that, season 3 shows us what would happen if Burns and Smithers could turn into a floating cannon and a spaceship; plus the Cyclonus/Ultra Magnus team-up, "Galvatron can be any size he wants!", Galvatron being checked into a psych ward, Galvatron having the voice of Ray-from-Ghostbusters instead of Spock, Galvatron wrecking everything all the time while looking like a badass and being the best Transformer; Starscream's ghost and zombie Prime, Unicron's Three Labours, alien pigmen, and the shortlived alliance between Tripticon and the Democratic Nation of Carbombia. That's just the tip of the 'burg.

Everyone should stop what they're doing and watch season 3 right now.

So, over on Seibertron they've uploaded a picture from the upcoming Titans Return toy line, featuring none other than a G1-inspired Fortress Maximus, complete with Cerebros!!

I only just got the G1 figure for Christmas last year, but I'm still gonna be all over this like a rash :-D

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Assuming it's real. That Titan Wars Abominus slide "leak" turned out to be a fake. This seems pretty legit, though, and we know Fort Max is coming, either way.

07epmv4.jpg

Assuming it's real. That Titan Wars Abominus slide "leak" turned out to be a fake. This seems pretty legit, though, and we know Fort Max is coming, either way.

07epmv4.jpg

That makes no sense. Its proportons and alt mode are straight from G1, while the shadow/lineart shown during Hasbro's panel showed him with tank treads on its shoulders like its MTMTE incarnation.

I'm assuming the image is vertically squished but even so, that's a very disappointing Fort Max if true. I mean, abstract ship/base alt mode, again? Pass if so.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
A Titan-Class Fort Max will be a redeco/retool of Metroplex, which is exactly what that image is. I don't know if that image is real, but if you're expecting a whole new mold for Fort Max, readjust your expectations, IMO.

Tizoc

Five Faces of Death is a glorious multi-episode sequel to Transformers: The Movie (and Desertion of the Dinobots is the prequel; and I hope we get the trilogy in a transforming Blu-ray box set).

On top of that, season 3 shows us what would happen if Burns and Smithers could turn into a floating cannon and a spaceship; plus the Cyclonus/Ultra Magnus team-up, "Galvatron can be any size he wants!", Galvatron being checked into a psych ward, Galvatron having the voice of Ray-from-Ghostbusters instead of Spock, Galvatron wrecking everything all the time while looking like a badass and being the best Transformer; Starscream's ghost and zombie Prime, Unicron's Three Labours, alien pigmen, and the shortlived alliance between Tripticon and the Democratic Nation of Carbombia. That's just the tip of the 'burg.

Everyone should stop what they're doing and watch season 3 right now.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
It has some stories that sound so absurd they're worth watching why.
I told myself I should just stop at Season 2 but now...

The IDW comics are good indeed, and IMHO had the best human supporting cast. They don't show up a lot in later stories I should add
You have 2 options with the IDW comic: Either start with the original run from the early 2000s or start with the current MTMTE comic. Both are good but the current series is so good it may as well be among the best ongoing series of the past 5 years.

yami4ct

A Titan-Class Fort Max will be a redeco/retool of Metroplex, which is exactly what that image is. I don't know if that image is real, but if you're expecting a whole new mold for Fort Max, readjust your expectations, IMO.

All the indications are that Titan Wars Fort Max basically only has the forearms of Metroplex. The rest is seems pretty much completely new.

Not feeling that image TBH, but I think seeing it in better detail might win me over. Hopefully it has a better and more compact city mode.

I just want to be sure this Fort Max has guns on his legs.

I love all the MTMTE pokes. I didn't even know "big feet" Flywheels was an actual G1 toy until a few days ago, and I nearly fell over laughing when I saw an actual pic f the toy.

Oh, don't worry, Fort Max being like that photo instead of its MTMTE self is actually a better outcome for me. 180$ better, to be precise :). After getting Takara Devastator and a few others, I'd rather give my wallet a rest.

yami4ct

i still have my original Fortress Maximus from '87 or '88

I have the Car Robots Brave Max. That mold really holds up. From the little image we have, in some ways I still prefer it to the new toy. I think the originals proportions are a tad bit better, especially in the things and waist. The city mode is also leaps and bounds better.

New one will murder it in terms of possibility if Metroplex is one to go by.

taoofjord

Okay so I just watched the animated Trnasformers movie for the first time since it first came out on VHS. Holy shit. It's perfect in every way. I expected to enjoy it but not to the extent that I did. It's crazy that it exists as it does, with such a different tone (darker and somehow even more 80's) than the animated series. I love all the crazy character designs, like the bearded robots and RC. I love so many moments in the film, like Starscream kicking Megatron after he's beaten then later tossing him into space outside of Astrotrain.... A train that transforms into a space shuttle! Sooooo good. Optimus' famous opening battle scene. The Dino Bots wanting to hear Kup's war stories. Unicorn doing... anything. Man, now I'm dying for more. I think I'll go right to the IDW collected volumes then to the two new IDW series that are currently running that everyone seems to love.

Aske

Right? That movie...Just perfection. It blows my mind when I think about the risks they took, the budget...And I wonder if it would have been as good were it not a glorified toy advertisment. Would the budget have been so high? Would the plot be safer? If nothing else, it would have been a very different movie.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The plot of the animated film is just a rewrite of Star Wars. It wasn't exactly some kind of daring avante garde maneuver. Other than the mass killing of the no-longer-sold characters, it's tremendously predictable. I was pretty let down by it as a kid, but grew to appreciate it more when I rewatched it as an adult.

Even so, it's way better than any of Bay's crap, of course.

Okay so I just watched the animated Trnasformers movie for the first time since it first came out on VHS. Holy shit. It's perfect in every way. I expected to enjoy it but not to the extent that I did. It's crazy that it exists as it does, with such a different tone (darker and somehow even more 80's) than the animated series. I love all the crazy character designs, like the bearded robots and RC. I love so many moments in the film, like Starscream kicking Megatron after he's beaten then later tossing him into space outside of Astrotrain.... A train that transforms into a space shuttle! Sooooo good. Optimus' famous opening battle scene. The Dino Bots wanting to hear Kup's war stories. Unicorn doing... anything. Man, now I'm dying for more. I think I'll go right to the IDW collected volumes then to the two new IDW series that are currently running that everyone seems to love.

MTMTE is going to blow your mind. If at any time you grow bored with reading the rest of IDW's stuff, jump straight to Roberts' stuff:
- Last Stand of the Wreckers (3 issues)
- Chaos Theory (2 issues)
- The Death of Optimus Prime (1 issue)
- More than Meets the Eye (ongoing)

Hero

The plot of the animated film is just a rewrite of Star Wars. It wasn't exactly some kind of daring avante garde maneuver. Other than the mass killing of the no-longer-sold characters, it's tremendously predictable. I was pretty let down by it as a kid, but grew to appreciate it more when I rewatched it as an adult.

Even so, it's way better than any of Bay's crap, of course.

How is it a rewrite of Star Wars exactly?

MechDX

If anyone is interested the Target cart wheel app has a digital coupon for 25% off all Transformers toys.

Just a heads up.

taoofjord

MTMTE is going to blow your mind. If at any time you grow bored with reading the rest of IDW's stuff, jump straight to Roberts' stuff:

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up, I can't wait! :)

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
How do you figure? Besides there being a planet-busting plot mechanic and Rodimus hearing the voice of his dead mentor, there's not much in common.

How is it a rewrite of Star Wars exactly?

Well let's set the stage: Hero with a destiny (Hot Rod), old mentor (Kup), badass chick with buns on her head (Arcee), wisecracking smartass (Springer), big powerful sidekick(s) (Dinobots), intimidating villain who killed a father figure of the hero (Galvatron), giant planet-sized thing that destroys other planets (Unicron). Awful lot of Star Wars stock characters there. Yes, many of these things are stock archetypes, but they come directly from Star Wars at this time in the pop culture landscape, and Arcee's "hair" is absolutely not a coincidence.

Our heroes end up on the run from the bad guys in a space chase, get captured and have to fight their way out (Quintessa), end up in a perilous situation in a garbage dump (Junk), gain the knowledge of the big bad planet's weak spot, head back for one last desperate stand against said planet. Hero with a destiny makes the impossible save and blows the evil planet up in the nick of time. It's not a direct plot duplication, but it lifts tons of stuff from Star Wars, right down to the Hero With A Destiny training with a sparring robot on the ship after the first big chase with the bad guys. Extend it to the Star Wars trilogy as a whole and the Junkions become the Ewoks, which has always been a comparison that amused me.

It's not meant as damning criticism; just about everything took from Star Wars in the years following its massive success. But the parallels are pretty obvious in TF:TM, even for the time.

Tizoc

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up, I can't wait! :)

Here's my updated reading order list for the current IDW MTMTE comic-
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171788347&postcount=463
Just read ANY TF comic written by James Roberts...well not really, here's the suggested reading order.
Only thing you need to know before reading Wreckers is that the Autbots and Decepticons fought on Earth, Autobots made a few human friends, one of them hitch hikes on Magnus' ship and has been with him for a few years/months. Finally the main events of the book take place after Megatron is presumed KIA.

Also, Cyclonus in this series isn't a Decepticon; he's an ancient Cybertronian warrior who left Cybertron eons ago, but his crew became corrupted and evil. He eventually helps the Autbots defeat them and has been on Cybertron by MTMTE.

1- Last Stand of the Wreckers
1b- OPTIONAL: TF: Chaos Theory this contains 2 issues that James wrote which are fantastic and show that Optimus Prime was a badass even before he became a Prime, don't worry about the Rodimus story too much :p
2- More than Meets the eye Vol. 1-4
3- Transformers Dark Prelude (contains stories that take place during Vol. 1-4)
4- More than meets the eyes Vol. 5-6
5- Dark Cybertron
6- The rest of MTMTE

Note that Robots in Disguise is good, but MTMTE greatly overshadows it. I feel bad for Barber since he has to do the main Hasbro status quo ish :p

EDIT: Spotlight Kup should've been reprinted in Wreckers since the book references it, plus it's by Nick Roche anyways.

Here's my updated reading order list for the current IDW MTMTE comic-
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171788347&postcount=463

Note that Robots in Disguise is good, but MTMTE greatly overshadows it. I feel bad for Barber since he has to do the main Hasbro status quo ish :p

EDIT: Spotlight Kup should've been reprinted in Wreckers since the book references it, plus it's by Nick Roche anyways.

Great reading order! I would like to point out a couple things:
- For me the entirety of Dark Cybertron is more optional than Chaos Theory. It's much less relevant for MTMTE aside from a few changes in the status quo that are acknowledged in the first post-DC issues. As a bonus, Chaos Theory is solid gold and referenced often later on, while Dark Cybertron is the lowest point of current era IDW.
- I would also include the Spotlight issues on Lost Light crew members (Trailcutter and Hoist), plus the Orion Pax one (basically all those penned by Roberts). They're every bit as good as his other stuff and help a lot fleshing out the setting and characters.

Also, a friend of mine just sent me this:
http://kotaku.com/custom-transformers-devastation-optimus-prime-figure-im-1742577385

Drayco21

Sometimes I feel like the only person who thought that Dark Cybertron (and Combiner Wars) were actually rad- Dark Cybertron especially is the highlight on RID so far for me.

Loved everything IDW's done with Shockwave (always my personal favorite) and Megatron, and especially what they did with them during that event.

Firemind

Well let's set the stage: Hero with a destiny (Hot Rod), old mentor (Kup), badass chick with buns on her head (Arcee), wisecracking smartass (Springer), big powerful sidekick(s) (Dinobots), intimidating villain who killed a father figure of the hero (Galvatron), giant planet-sized thing that destroys other planets (Unicron). Awful lot of Star Wars stock characters there. Yes, many of these things are stock archetypes, but they come directly from Star Wars at this time in the pop culture landscape, and Arcee's "hair" is absolutely not a coincidence.

Our heroes end up on the run from the bad guys in a space chase, get captured and have to fight their way out (Quintessa), end up in a perilous situation in a garbage dump (Junk), gain the knowledge of the big bad planet's weak spot, head back for one last desperate stand against said planet. Hero with a destiny makes the impossible save and blows the evil planet up in the nick of time. It's not a direct plot duplication, but it lifts tons of stuff from Star Wars, right down to the Hero With A Destiny training with a sparring robot on the ship after the first big chase with the bad guys. Extend it to the Star Wars trilogy as a whole and the Junkions become the Ewoks, which has always been a comparison that amused me.

It's not meant as damning criticism; just about everything took from Star Wars in the years following its massive success. But the parallels are pretty obvious in TF:TM, even for the time.
So where does Ultra Magnus fit in this narrative? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

taoofjord

- For me the entirety of Dark Cybertron is more optional than Chaos Theory. It's much less relevant for MTMTE aside from a few changes in the status quo that are acknowledged in the first post-DC issues. As a bonus, Chaos Theory is solid gold and referenced often later on, while Dark Cybertron is the lowest point of current era IDW.
- I would also include the Spotlight issues on Lost Light crew members (Trailcutter and Hoist), plus the Orion Pax one (basically all those penned by Roberts). They're every bit as good as his other stuff and help a lot fleshing out the setting and characters.

http://kotaku.com/custom-transformers-devastation-optimus-prime-figure-im-1742577385

Holy crap I want that custom MP-10. Seriously amazing.

Tizoc

Those are collected in Dark Prelude, read what I wrote about it :p

Dark Cybertron is worth it at least for Roberts' writing and for
Rodimus saving Optimus Prime and reminding people why he's such a beloved father figure to the fandom
Also
ROD POD

Honestly if it were up to me I'd do this for repritings:
1- Add Spotlight Kup to Hardcover/Ultimate collection of LSotW
2- Take the Roberts' spotlight issues+his 2-parters+Nick Roche's Megatron story and compile them into one TPB

Reluctant hero who gets dismembered at the first sign of confrontation? C-3PO, of course.

Dear Primus no, being compared to C-3PO is as bad as being compared to Original trilogy Bobba Fett.

TreIII

Fuck me I'm a huge TF fan and I had no idea this thread existed. Subbed.

You and me both, brother.

I'll admit it. Devastation was the main thing that really jump-started my TF fanboy into overdrive. Now, I'm finding myself getting back up to speed with IDW's run (starting with the Phase 2 hardbacks) and just indulging myself in pretty much anything associated with the brand.

Might have to treat myself to at least some new fig of my boy Slag sooner or later. Should I buy what's out now, or wait for that one good looking third party one I saw on Seibertron a week ago?

Drayco21

So, it seems like we might have the opportunity to vote for the next Titan class figure after Fort Max?

27552107d1447744254-vote-next-titan-titan-wars-12241689_10153820637860719_5637383807578790003_n.jpg

Apparently the post isn't up right now, but it's coming? It could be fake, but I want to believe. Y'all are going to do the right thing, and vote for Trypticon, right?

NEO0MJ

I'd be surprised if Trypticon loses. It's been decades since his last toy.

Might have to treat myself to at least some new fig of my boy Slag sooner or later. Should I buy what's out now, or wait for that one good looking third party one I saw on Seibertron a week ago?

Wait for the better figure, though you should check reviews and compare before buying.

Oh God, choosing between Trypticon and Scorponok. I want Trypticon badly but with Fort Max already coming, I feel like Scorpy is needed to restore balance.

I would buy them all though.

Aske

FansToys' Scoria seems to be the Michael Jordan of Slags. He was always my favourite Dinobot too.

Speaking of FansToys, they're making a Galvatron! So many Galvatrons...There's a good chance I'll buy them all. My lust for Tyrant is undiminished, but I'll jump on the Xtransbots and FansToys versions if they're as good as the renders make them look.

Mike M

Nick N
Team Trypticon for me. Yeah, Scorponok is Fort Max's nemesis, but there's so much to love about robot kaiju base-former.

yami4ct

So, it seems like we might have the opportunity to vote for the next Titan class figure after Fort Max?

[IG]http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attachments/transformers-news-rumors/27552107d1447744254-vote-next-titan-titan-wars-12241689_10153820637860719_5637383807578790003_n.jpg[/IMG]

Apparently the post isn't up right now, but it's coming? It could be fake, but I want to believe. Y'all are going to do the right thing, and vote for Trypticon, right?

If this is true, it's a bit concerning. Either it'll take this figure a long time to come out, it'll just be a Metroplex/Fort Max remold or it'll be rushed to shit like Windblade. Also, I want all 3 and can't possibly pick.
Team Trypticon if I had to pick

If this is true, it's a bit concerning. Either it'll take this figure a long time to come out, it'll just be a Metroplex/Fort Max remold or it'll be rushed to shit like Windblade. Also, I want all 3 and can't possibly pick.
Team Trypticon if I had to pick

Yeah thats what I was thinking too. But then again Hasbro is 2/2 with theri Titan releases so I have faith.

Top Bottom