• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
First off I didn't even know this thread existed so it's awesome to see other TF Die Hards!

Now, I had the original and honestly? I think I'm a little disappointed that it's just reworking the original design. I'll be impressed if they can hide the robot sections better than the original but those pictures make it look like the EXACT same thing.

And finally, I just picked up the CW Devastator set and it's AMAZING....except for the lack of elbow joints on some of the robot modes and the black hands for Devastator....this was of course before I saw the Unite Warriors version which fixes BOTH problems. Ah well, still an awesome set!

If you don't mind spending some extra money, Perfect Effect makes upgrade sets for Devastator that fix a lot of the little problems.

One set handles a bunch of cosmetic stuff, including the hands, plus shoulder extensions, a more articulated shovel for Scavenger, an extending crane boom for Hook, and a "Prowlstator" head that will only make sense if you've read the IDW comics.
Perfect-Effect-Upgrade-Devasator-3.jpg

The other adds elbows.
qqHXvF8.jpg

interesting, thanks for the background. just curious in regards to the current fiction storyline behind this.

Is this actually part of the new comic storyline as well or the toys just stretching things out? I haven't been keeping up with the current storylines

Unlike with Combiner Wars, so far there seems to be no connection to the comics. Then again it's still a while until they're released. Hopefully, if they end up doing it, it will be confined to RID, as they tend to be rather bad and I don't want my MTMTE hijacked.

Dion314

Neo Member
Oh wow those upgrades are pretty awesome! I watched a YouTube review of them and they add a lot more to the figure so I might have to pick them up when I get some disposable cash. Thanks for the heads up!

Makes me wonder why Hasbro couldn't just do these things right the first time. Especially the hands and elbows. I get that the lack of elbows are for stability but the hands being black, while a bit nitpicky, sucks especially when they're the right color on the box it comes in.

As for Prowlstator, I JUST started on the IDW comics but I'm so far back and there's SO many books to read, it's gonna take me forever to get to that point so, if it doesn't spoil something major, could somebody tell me what the deal is with that?

Mike M

Nick N
Makes me wonder why Hasbro couldn't just do these things right the first time. Especially the hands and elbows. I get that the lack of elbows are for stability but the hands being black, while a bit nitpicky, sucks especially when they're the right color on the box it comes in.
They have limited numbers of casting dies and paint applications to work within.

I find it's usually better to go for Takara releases on your favorite bots. You pay more but they seem to do the toys a lot more justice. Takara Constructicons do have elbows for example.

yami4ct

Unlike with Combiner Wars, so far there seems to be no connection to the comics. Then again it's still a while until they're released. Hopefully, if they end up doing it, it will be confined to RID, as they tend to be rather bad and I don't want my MTMTE hijacked.

Didn't they confirm that Prime Wars would spill into both RiD and MtMtE when Titan Wars was announced? I'm pretty sure I heard that. Sucks, but I'm certain Roberts will make it work.

Limited budget for paint apps and parts. Hasbro has a much different market. The US retail and consumer situation is just hugely different. Hasbro has to deal with big box retailers and are primarily targeting kids and their parents. Collector's an important, but secondary concern. Takara's market is much more collector focused and they tend to sell mostly online and small shops. IIRC, Hasbro also fronts the engineering cost of most of the mainline figures, where Takara just licenses those molds and pays for what new parts they add.

Drayco21

Didn't they confirm that Prime Wars would spill into both RiD and MtMtE when Titan Wars was announced? I'm pretty sure I heard that. Sucks, but I'm certain Roberts will make it work.

They did, MTMTE is almost assuredly where we'll see Fort Max become his Titan-class size self during Titans Return. I just hope it's kept a thematic/periphery tie-in, and the Lost Light doesn't get pulled back to Cybertron yet again.

yeah i'm waiting to see what backstory the comics if any will come up with.

last i watched headmasters were necessary for nebulans to help the autobots.
then target masters. --> powermaster prime in the comics. hq

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
As for Prowlstator, I JUST started on the IDW comics but I'm so far back and there's SO many books to read, it's gonna take me forever to get to that point so, if it doesn't spoil something major, could somebody tell me what the deal is with that?

It spoils something pretty major, so I'd say just keep reading.

Edit: A silhouette image of MP Primal was posted, along with the message to "wait for next week!" so it sounds like we're getting our first look at a painted prototype soon.

HigXx

Just said fuck it and ordered KO Masterpiece Sideswipe, Silverstreak and Wheeljack for £54. Hope they turn out alright!

Mike M

Nick N
Yeah, I'm not feeling that at all.

Plus I've always hated Maximals and Predacons having vehicle modes. I mean, it makes sense from a practical standpoint that Cybertronians wouldn't completely abandon them to dress up as animals, but that also makes rebranding themselves with animal-themed faction names and insignia silly.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
They have vehicle modes (presumably) in the first episode of Beast Wars, only converting to fit in with the planet they crash on. "Maximals" is explained as a reference to the downsizing of Cybertronians into a "maximally efficient" smaller size, and "Predacons" is explained by that faction being founded by the original G1 Predacons. The insignia make no sense, though.

Also it occurs to me that you probably couldn't get away with "Terrorize" as the Predacon activation code these days.

Herbs

Banned
Anyone who doesn't care about scale, get the MPP-10. It is amazing and infinitely better than the official release especially for the price and size you're getting.

Beth Cyra

So do any active members have the 6 inch Kids Logic Prime or Black Prime?

They brought out Magnus but want double the Price, so im considering it given the color scheme is based on Dreamwave/Mp 02 Magnus.

Got my Takara Devastator finally today. Every time I look away and then back, I break out laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of its enormity. Solid as a brick wall too, and the individual Constructions are awesome (elbows!). Best spent 220€ in a while.

Got my Takara Devastator finally today. Every time I look away and then back, I break out laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of its enormity. Solid as a brick wall too, and the individual Constructions are awesome (elbows!). Best spent 220€ in a while.
I'm jealous!
Can't quite justify dropping that much money on it atm but damm if I haven't been drooling at the pics.

Drayco21

I get why the Hasbro releases are the way they are- they need to serve as hands, feet, and weapons for each of the individual limbs to make the gimmick work, and the new, more clearly defined hands and feet coming are with the box set figures being sold together, eliminating that particular issue. I just don't get why Takara hasn't tried anything else. They do so much elsewhere on the figures, I'd have thought they'd go all the way with that, since they only sell them as sets.

I actually really like the Hand-Foot-Guns and the way they look, but have gotten the impression that I'm in the minority on that one.

Also, don't know that I'm in love with Takara's Bruticus- the Alpha Bravo mold doesn't look great with four rotors, in robot mode anyway- looks fine as a limb or chopper, but they sit too low in robot mode for my taste, and I never really had a problem with Jet Blast-Off to begin with- would want to see more detailed pictures of the changes, but I'll probably just stick to the Hasbro release and be okay. Hope we hear something about Brawl too- his waist is a real bummer.

Jinroh

I haven't "built" him yet, I promptly put him back in his box because my GF was heading back home. She would kill me if I saw him and knew how much money it cost :X

I get why the Hasbro releases are the way they are- they need to serve as hands, feet, and weapons for each of the individual limbs to make the gimmick work, and the new, more clearly defined hands and feet coming are with the box set figures being sold together, eliminating that particular issue. I just don't get why Takara hasn't tried anything else. They do so much elsewhere on the figures, I'd have thought they'd go all the way with that, since they only sell them as sets.

I actually really like the Hand-Foot-Guns and the way they look, but have gotten the impression that I'm in the minority on that one.

Also, don't know that I'm in love with Takara's Bruticus- the Alpha Bravo mold doesn't look great with four rotors, in robot mode anyway- looks fine as a limb or chopper, but they sit too low in robot mode for my taste, and I never really had a problem with Jet Blast-Off to begin with- would want to see more detailed pictures of the changes, but I'll probably just stick to the Hasbro release and be okay. Hope we hear something about Brawl too- his waist is a real bummer.

Problem with the CW hands/feet is that they made them interchangeable, so the proportions are so awkward. The jutting out weapons make the hands look so huge and extends the arms giving all the combiners and ape like appearance. While the feet have to ankle swivel and look tiny with many of the leg combiners.

The perfect effect feet/leg set is a huge upgrade to any CW combiner, makes the legs a proper proportion to the rest of the body and makes the hands not humongous. In same way it would be neat if they would offer the new feet/hands as a separate purchase, like a mail order direct part to upgrade your CW sets

Herbs

Banned
Funny enough, just decided to open my KO Bluestreak, Smokescreen, Silverstreak, and Sideswipe that have been sitting in my drawer for a couple of years. Sideswipe is definitely the worst of the bunch.

Top Bottom