• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Full faceplate wouldn't be show accurate, which is what the MPs are all about. Wouldn't be surprised if he came with a closed faceplate head, though, since he did occasionally close it up when shit got real.

The faceplate look seems like a no-brainer accessory.

bw-110-gorilla-warfare%20(38).gif

So bad-ass.

HigXx

My KOs arrived! Theyre really good, first figures ive bought in a year or 2. Sideswipe is definitely the worst of the bunch!

Really scared about going back to vehicle mode but hahaha

Think next stop is Ko Bumblebee and the tapes

Toxi

Banned
The faceplate look seems like a no-brainer accessory.

bw-110-gorilla-warfare%20(38).gif

So bad-ass.
Kinda interesting that so many other variations of Optimus Prime (Animated, live action movie, Prime) followed the Optimus Primal model of only having the faceplate up in combat situations.

Kinda interesting that so many other variations of Optimus Prime (Animated, live action movie, Prime) followed the Optimus Primal model of only having the faceplate up in combat situations.
Probably because from an animation standpoint it's just more visually interesting to watch a character speak when they have a mouth as opposed to the faceplate wiggling of the original, or the awful static faces from the Japanese stuff.

Also, some would argue that having more humanoid features makes it easier for audiences to connect with giant robots.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I don't mind it on Primal, but Prime shouldn't have a mouth. At most it should be a mouth-shaped speaker like what was seen in the Marvel comic after he got fried by Unicron.

Ncns3kC.jpg

And if he has to have a mouth, he shouldn't have lips. Looking at you, Michael Bay.

Beth Cyra

I don't mind it on Primal, but Prime shouldn't have a mouth. At most it should be a mouth-shaped speaker like what was seen in the Marvel comic after he got fried by Unicron.

Ncns3kC.jpg

And if he has to have a mouth, he shouldn't have lips. Looking at you, Michael Bay.
Im okay with this.

To me Primal and Prime are very much different characters so him im all good with having a mouth.

Hell I wouldn't even mind Prime having a mouth so long as it was behind his plate.

Seriously the battle between Prime and Galvatron in Cybertron would have been so much more hype if Galvatron kicked in Prime's face and shattered the plate and then revealed his mouth if they didnt show his face the whole series.

Cheerilee

I think G1 could get away with some characters having wildly different features, because... some characters had wildly different features. If everyone's doing it, then it's okay. Like Jazz appears to be wearing sunglasses, which is cool and fits his character, but I always wondered, are those actually sunglasses or is that his eye? And if they're sunglasses, and he took them off, would he have anything behind them that resembled the eyes of other Transformers? A bunch of characters seemed to be doing that sort of thing in G1, and that was fine because they were clearly built that way.

G1 Optimus is basically wearing a helmet and face mask, but his mask moves when he talks, and not in a way that suggested that the mask was his mouth, so I was sure that he had some other kind of mouth behind the mask. Standard or nonstandard. I'm not particularly attached to either one, nor do I think it breaks the mystique of Optimus to see behind his mask. Although, since he always wore the mask, it would be out of character to see him frequently without it.

Optimus Primal was a bit weird because he was trying to convey the image of Optimus Prime, but the face mask was sort of "unzipped" in the middle in a way that made me want him to put it on or take it off, one or the other. But then I kind of got used to him talking through the opening in his weird zipper-mask. That's just the way Optimus Primal rolls.

Transformers Prime's Optimus Prime works for me because the Transformers here (most of them) have a basically flat face made out of "face material" with two eyes and a seam that opens up where the mouth should be. He looks like any other Transformer, but his helmet is right, and his facial expressions are right enough to convey (even with a sort of expressionless face) that this is what Optimus Prime looks like when he's not wearing his face mask. It doesn't feel weird to see Prime Optimus without his mask, because he's not quite G1 Optimus, and it feels normal to see him relaxing to this degree. Prime Optimus feels like a character who is more than just a helmet and mask. It feels like he lives up to the mystique of what's behind Optimus Prime's mask.

And I don't even care to look at the mess that is Bayformers Optimus. He looks like a monster, both with and without the mask, which I guess fits because he acts like one.

Mike M

Nick N

Ncns3kC.jpg

MPoptimusmouth.jpg

^Quite possibly my favorite little detail on MP Prime.

Dion314

Neo Member
I'll wait to see the final product on Primal before I say anything. Like the faces though and full faceplate should definitely be in there.

Also I've been reading the IDW books, my first TF comics, and they're really great! I haven't made it to MTMTE and RID yet but it's really cool to see each bot's personality more fleshed out and the roles they have in their respective armies/Cybertronian Government. It really gives me a new perspective on some of the characters and the series as a whole.

And I just ordered KO Prowl and Wheeljack. I ALMOST went for Sideswipe but the reviews I read scared me away. I might take the plunge one day tho. That mold looks too good to pass up.

NEO0MJ

Optimus Primal was a bit weird because he was trying to convey the image of Optimus Prime, but the face mask was sort of "unzipped" in the middle in a way that made me want him to put it on or take it off, one or the other. But then I kind of got used to him talking through the opening in his weird zipper-mask. That's just the way Optimus Primal rolls.

And I don't even care to look at the mess that is Bayformers Optimus. He looks like a monster, both with and without the mask, which I guess fits because he acts like one.

That's my issue with Primal as well. I didn't mind it with TM Primal because they removed the leftover faceplate.

And lol at your point about movie Prime, because it's true.

sol_bad

What's with everyone buying KO's over the past couple of pages? Are proper Masterpiece figures hard to buy lately or something?
I had no issues buying Prowl, Bluestreak, Sideswipe and Bumblebee recently. Wheeljack is also getting a re-release soon.

Herbs

Banned
What's with everyone buying KO's over the past couple of pages? Are proper Masterpiece figures hard to buy lately or something?
I had no issues buying Prowl, Bluestreak, Sideswipe and Bumblebee recently. Wheeljack is also getting a re-release soon.

I prefer them

I'd never get one personally. I never get 3rd party either on principle, though I have to admit some look really good.

^Quite possibly my favorite little detail on MP Prime.

While I knew about this detail, I could never figure out how to remove the mask in any way that didn't suggest endangering it. I'm fine knowing it exists, I guess. :D

Also, James Roberts has played with the concept of Optimus/Orion Pax and his mouthplate, like with pretty much any concept ever regarding Transformers:
S-OP-5.jpg

Later on in that issue a shard of shrapnel hits him in the mouth and he muses "that's the kind of thing a mouthplate would have stopped". At the end, he picks up another piece of metal shrapnel and puts it on like a makeshift mouthplate. I guess that right there tells you what Roberts himself thinks of it all. :D

You could also take Rung and his (removable) spectacles as a play on the eye visors/sunglasses.

Herbs

Banned
Any reason for this?

Price related to quality. You get an item that's generally 90% as good as the original but is 50% less. The price on the originals are too much. Or in the case of the MPP-10 the price is better or comparable and you're getting a better product. I also like KO's. Vintage ones included.

Price related to quality. You get an item that's generally 90% as good as the original but is 50% less. The price on the originals are too much. Or in the case of the MPP-10 the price is better or comparable and you're getting a better product. I also like KO's. Vintage ones included.
I don't know where KO's come from but isn't it basically piracy?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I don't know where KO's come from but isn't it basically piracy?

Yes, which is why I (and a lot of other fans) won't buy them. Third party original designs are one thing, or those junky dime-store "RoboConverter!" monstrosities you see at Walgreens or whatever, but KOs are just stealing from other people's hard work. Plus, they're inevitably inferior products; it's no accident that one of the first things reviewers of KOs comment on is plastic quality. But then, you get what you pay for.

Herbs

Banned
Yes, which is why I (and a lot of other fans) won't buy them. Third party original designs are one thing, or those junky dime-store "RoboConverter!" monstrosities you see at Walgreens or whatever, but KOs are just stealing from other people's hard work. Plus, they're inevitably inferior products; it's no accident that one of the first things reviewers of KOs comment on is plastic quality. But then, you get what you pay for.

Don't worry, there are plenty of us fans who will pick up the slack for you.

Tizoc

While I knew about this detail, I could never figure out how to remove the mask in any way that didn't suggest endangering it. I'm fine knowing it exists, I guess. :D

Also, James Roberts has played with the concept of Optimus/Orion Pax and his mouthplate, like with pretty much any concept ever regarding Transformers:
S-OP-5.jpg

Later on in that issue a shard of shrapnel hits him in the mouth and he muses "that's the kind of thing a mouthplate would have stopped". At the end, he picks up another piece of metal shrapnel and puts it on like a makeshift mouthplate. I guess that right there tells you what Roberts himself thinks of it all. :D

You could also take Rung and his (removable) spectacles as a play on the eye visors/sunglasses.

Beat me to it!

Herbs

Banned
I haven't looked into it a lot, but it always seems the good KOs are pretty expensive.

Depends. The new Oversized MP-10 started at around $60 but after word got out with it's quality and size, the price has steadily gone up. But with the new trailer they made for it and the figure you're getting, it's about $190 shipped so not too dissimilar to the reissue MP-10. Unless you're talking third party which are expensive but aren't KO's.

Yeah, pretty much my opinion as well. The only knockoff I have is a Star Saber one (from the original G1, not the Masterpiece), because the original is long out of production, never reissued, and fetches absolutely mental prices secondhand if you want a complete one. I got it before the Masterpiece was even announced, and probably would have skipped it if I had known (particularly since I can now not justify buying the MP :D ).

I'm OK with people buying knockoffs, to each their own (and indeed, frankly, if I ever saw a knockoff that I actually liked better than the original product, I'd probably buy it, I support Hasbro and Takara plenty already), but it's not indeed something that one should feel particularly proud about, and definitely not to antagonize those who don't buy them.

Beth Cyra

I only own 1 KO but Takara and Bandai just seem no interest in releasing a Magnus variant of MP 10 so I went with the person who'd give it to me.

I take no issue either way, and I look at it like some game Devs who says that Piracy doesn't equal a lost sale because they wouldn't by the game anyway, so not gunna hate on KO's.

If I could get a a Galaxy Force Prime reprint of Magnus I'd go KO again. Hell even a Super Link Prime instead of the awful Overload.

Well, at least this thread is a good resource for the ignore list.

Yes, when confronted with opinions that politely differ from your own, the ignore button is not only warranted but mandatory. We all know NeoGAF is meant to display one's own opinion replicated 50 or 100 times per page with different avatars on the side. Discussion means you have to think of arguments, and aint nobody got time for that!

I only own 1 KO but Takara and Bandai just seem no interest in releasing a Magnus variant of MP 10 so I went with the person who'd give it to me.

I take no issue either way, and I look at it like some game Devs who says that Piracy doesn't equal a lost sale because they wouldn't by the game anyway, so not gunna hate on KO's.

While I take no issue either way either, the argument that they equal a lost sale is actually stronger for KO than pirated games, on account of them actually costing money. Furthermore, the closer their price is to the original, the higher the likelihood that the buyer would have actually bought the original if the KO didn't exist. Just saying.

If I could get a a Galaxy Force Prime reprint of Magnus I'd go KO again. Hell even a Super Link Prime instead of the awful Overload.

If you really, really want it (and no KO is released), you could always repaint a Prime or ask someone to do so, although for such a large toy it would take a while. My CW Hotspot into Prime is taking forever, and discovering too late that paint simply doesn't stick to its soft plastic parts definitely didn't help.

I also keep forgetting I have a GF Prime, buried with my other pre-2010 TFs in storage. Whenever I get to unearthing it I have to try painting that mouth silver to see if it's less horrible looking. Good thing that it also sports one of these recently mentioned flip-up mouthplates. :)

Beth Cyra

Yes, when confronted with opinions that politely differ from your own, the ignore button is not only warranted but mandatory. We all know NeoGAF is meant to display one's own opinion replicated 50 or 100 times per page with different avatars on the side. Discussion means you have to think of arguments, and aint nobody got time for that!

While I take no issue either way either, the argument that they equal a lost sale is actually stronger for KO than pirated games, on account of them actually costing money. Furthermore, the closer their price is to the original, the higher the likelihood that the buyer would have actually bought the original if the KO didn't exist. Just saying.

If you really, really want it (and no KO is released), you could always repaint a Prime or ask someone to do so, although for such a large toy it would take a while. My CW Hotspot into Prime is taking forever, and discovering too late that paint simply doesn't stick to its soft plastic parts definitely didn't help.

I also keep forgetting I have a GF Prime, buried with my other pre-2010 TFs in storage. Whenever I get to unearthing it I have to try painting that mouth silver to see if it's less horrible looking. Good thing that it also sports one of these recently mentioned flip-up mouthplates. :)

Your right for expensive KO's but I'm thinking 30 dollar MP KO's.

Oh I've considered it, but I'm terrible at painting....plus I won't lie I love getting a box that says Ultra Magnus and has some nice collectors card art work....totes shallow I know.

That said I have considered doing the Galaxy Force one and War For Cybertron Prime. I also have considered Super Link Jet Fire into Armada colors.

Tizoc

I can now say that my James Roberts and Nick Roche TF 'run' is complete; I have
Last Stand of the Wreckers (Paperback)
Spotlight: Kup in a Hardcover (thick papered covers)
Pax and Megatron story from Chaos Theory TPB
MTMTE onwards

Herbs

Banned
Got my second MPP-10 in. Gonna display that one in alt mode with the recently released trailer they designed as well.

Drayco21

That's an IDW-ass-IDW head for Chromedome.

post-905-0-19857300-1453891420.png

He's gonna look great next to the new Rewind.

Some leaked pictures for Titans Return Alpha Trion, Mindwipe, and Scourge here

That's an IDW-ass-IDW head for Chromedome.

post-905-0-19857300-1453891420.png

He's gonna look great next to the new Rewind.

Some leaked pictures for Titans Return Alpha Trion, Mindwipe, and Scourge here
Head looks great. Sadly it will be a deluxe so he'll probably look weird next to Legends Brainstorm. I'll buy him regardless though.

Drayco21

Head looks great. Sadly it will be a deluxe so he'll probably look weird next to Legends Brainstorm. I'll buy him regardless though.

He might look okay after the size increase we're apparently getting to deluxes to accommodate the headmaster gimmick. At the very least, we're apparently getting a new deluxe Brainstorm as a remold from Blurr, though that's probably not going to be as nice looking a figure, and probably not quite as IDW styled.

Mike M

Nick N
Had no idea... I just figured they weren't licensed since they didn't have the decepticon symbols / transformers logos.
They aren't licensed, "knock-offs" in this context just usually refers to cheaply-made counterfeits of the actual toys. These are original molds.

GuyKazama

Generation Toy. I'm waiting to see how ToyWorld turns out for a Masterpiece display, but each GT bot is amazing and you won't be disappointed.

Had no idea... I just figured they weren't licensed since they didn't have the decepticon symbols / transformers logos.

They become official when you put a Reprolabel on them.

Generation Toy. I'm waiting to see how ToyWorld turns out for a Masterpiece display, but each GT bot is amazing and you won't be disappointed.
I prefer the look of the vehicles for the Toy World models, but I think Generation Toy had the better Devastator... Toy World has done decent quality stuff before, right?

They become official when you put a Reprolabel on them.
Ooh, never knew about this! Thanks!

Top Bottom