• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Drayco21

Wait Galvatron gets a combiner form?

Toy only. The American release came out alongside the Protectobots, but Cyclonus was the only figure in the combiner with the excuse that Galvatronus can steal limbs from other Combiners to make up for it. It probably won't have any bearing on the fiction.

It's kinda funny that the two most recent Galvatrons have been a Combiner and a Headmaster, considering IDW Galvatron's stances on both.

Tizoc

Not Galvatron, Cyclonus. When he forms the base body he reveals a Galvatron head for some reason. Can't wait for whatever convulted explanation they come up with in the comics.

Hah
Cyclonus wakes up in another world where he along with the other bots must team up for...something.
It'd some surreal pyschadelic story

Tizoc

So when exactly are Hasbro gonna make toys for the DJD?
Heck make them a combiner if you want at this point
U6uNS7k.jpg

Faiz

I think I'm walking away from MP Ironhide and Ratchet. The cab chest, after seeing it in certain poses, has finally put me off. I realize others have been saying much the same for a while, just took me a while to really see it I guess, and now I don't think I can look past it.

So when exactly are Hasbro gonna make toys for the DJD?
Heck make them a combiner if you want at this point
U6uNS7k.jpg

I've given up. The MMC DJD look great - I know that's more MP-level pricing but I don't think Hasbro has any interest.

Tizoc

It wouldn't surprise me if they were tossed into the upcoming movie and then we start getting toys of them :V

It wouldn't surprise me if they were tossed into the upcoming movie and then we start getting toys of them :V

But then we'd get MOVIE versions of them, and who wants that shit.

Not Galvatron, Cyclonus. When he forms the base body he reveals a Galvatron head for some reason. Can't wait for whatever convulted explanation they come up with in the comics.

Not just a head, the body is also 100% Galvatron power abs. Funnily, while in G1 forming a Galvatron gestalt would at least make some sense, combining with Autobots less so, in current IDW it's the opposite for each.

It's a pretty decent figure nonetheless, only shadowed by the utterly amazing Generations Deluxe one. It has a pretty interesting transformation to torso mode in how you basically turn it upside down, and how the teeth in the torso panels mesh together, but it's beset by the ship mode which is basically a ship-shaped wafer with a block glued below, much like G1 and CW Silverbolt. If nothing else, it gave us a Voyager Cyclonus, which looks much better next to Tailgate than the Deluxe.

Also, considering he was part of the earlier CW waves and nothing came of it during the CW comics, we can probably assume nothing will. Although knowing Roberts, don't be surprised if we get a random nod to it as an in-joke. :)

Savitar

Heh, Galvatron in the comic use to hunt down and slaughter combiners. Funny him "having one". As for Cy he's not actually getting the ability in the comic is he? For a time I thought so but then I saw he's suppose to have what, ghost startscream, undead optimus and two others combine so wrote that off as just being a toy aspect.

Pity he doesn't have the sweeps.

yami4ct

Got my UW-04 Devastator today and ended up with a few QC issues. First of all, he was missing the instructions and other documentation. Not a huge issue since he's fairly easy to figure out, but annoying. Looked everywhere in the box and around where it was opened. I didn't miss them and they didn't fall out.

The bigger problem is that the left combiner fist of mine has a mismolded peg which means it just barely holds together at the wrist. Other is fine.

I emailed HLJ and I'm sure they'll take care of me as they have in the past. I probably just got a bum one, but do know like with any product that QC issues can happen with this guy. He seems really awesome aside from that.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Sucks when QC problems happen with imported stuff, though. BBTS ended up having to send me two replacements for Encore Fort Max's Spike figure due to various flaws in assembly. My Devastator is still in customs, but fingers crossed for no QC weirdness.

yami4ct

Sucks when QC problems happen with imported stuff, though. BBTS ended up having to send me two replacements for Encore Fort Max's Spike figure due to various flaws in assembly. My Devastator is still in customs, but fingers crossed for no QC weirdness.

Yeah it does. It helps when the QC issue is something you can work around. My MP Prowl has a stuck mirror and HLJ couldn't replace it due to him being sold out. Luckily the mirror is flexible enough that he can still transform. It ended up warping a bit, but it works.

It's also why I buy really expensive stuff like Devy from HLJ. Having their great customer service is a backup worth paying a hair bit extra for for me. They've helped me out at least 5-6 times over my years using them and they've always done everything they could to fix things.

If my Devy doesn't get fixed, he still would work, but of course I'd much prefer a 100% one.

EDIT:

HLJ's willing to replace mine, but only a full return and replace. They can't just replace the part. A bit sad since the rest is perfect, but it's understandable. I worry a bit about getting another with QC issues, but I haven't heard a ton of complaints so that's probably not likely. It's probably worth the risk since I worry this joint will wear over time and the fist might not be able to be held in the casing anymore. Probably not worth risking that.

NEO0MJ

I'll wait for the inevitable Soundwave remold. Still wish he was a Voyager, we really a need a well-scaled CHUG version of the character.

I'm still puzzled as to why they decided to give the tape players a leader class figure. I guess they're a novel idea as nothing like them was ever done at that size but still.

muteki

I'm still puzzled as to why they decided to give the tape players a leader class figure. I guess they're a novel idea as nothing like them was ever done at that size but still.

Maybe Voyager size was too small for Legends tapes?

I'm really looking forward to Blaster, his base mode looks better than PM Prime, and looks like he has better ankles.

Well, that's pretty much the size they were back in G1. Doesn't make them any more interesting for me since I already own the G1 version, but there's that.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah it does. It helps when the QC issue is something you can work around. My MP Prowl has a stuck mirror and HLJ couldn't replace it due to him being sold out. Luckily the mirror is flexible enough that he can still transform. It ended up warping a bit, but it works.

It's also why I buy really expensive stuff like Devy from HLJ. Having their great customer service is a backup worth paying a hair bit extra for for me. They've helped me out at least 5-6 times over my years using them and they've always done everything they could to fix things.

If my Devy doesn't get fixed, he still would work, but of course I'd much prefer a 100% one.

EDIT:

HLJ's willing to replace mine, but only a full return and replace. They can't just replace the part. A bit sad since the rest is perfect, but it's understandable. I worry a bit about getting another with QC issues, but I haven't heard a ton of complaints so that's probably not likely. It's probably worth the risk since I worry this joint will wear over time and the fist might not be able to be held in the casing anymore. Probably not worth risking that.

I don't have your QC issues, it looks like, but holy crap are Scrapper's elbows overtight. I haven't been able to get them to bend at all, because the force it's requiring to unclip them or counteract whatever's holding them in a straight position really feels like it could snap the peg or the upper arm. No wonder Hasbro just skipped the elbows on their version.

Got my UW Devastator and love it. Probably my favorite transformer in many years. The extra fixes/paint apps make a huge difference. I thought the hollowness would be a turn off, but it's not bad at all in hand

Tizoc

^Hadn't read it yet but I read MTMTE48
Holy shit
It felt a bit as a set up issue but damn was it a great one
Sunder's hollow face was creepy as fuck

Aske

Guys. I got my goddamn Galvatron. He arrived yesterday from Chimungmung, and is currently playing air guitar on my coffee table.

DX9 Tyrant is totally sweet. Looks great in alt mode, has a fun transformation, and is posable as all get-out. Head's on a dual hinge, and due to the transformation you can get some really imposing looks with it. I've read complaints about the hands; personally I've had no issues. Love the articulation, and I've not had any problems with the fingers.

Aside from the banana feet and the thigh armour not being attached to the kneecaps (design choices that don't really bug me), my only criticism is the colour. I'd have liked a much more blue looking purple, as Tyrant appears in some pictures and videos online with cooler lighting. He's more IDW purple than cartoon blueish-purple in real life, and I need my blue Galvatron.

Face sculpt is perfect. Lovely solid ratchets everywhere, nothing feels loose. He's built incredibly well: great quality plastic and joints, and balanced superbly. All that die cast in his feet means you can get solid poses out of him that would cause other figures to topple. Not a fragile toy. Love the Matrix on its chain and choices of cannons: it's a very solid package. I just wish he was a little more blue.

I'm going to keep an eye on the Fanstoys Galvatron slated for 2017, and a much lazier eye on Xtransbots' take on the character whenever that shows up. Really interested to see if they can capture the G1 vibe any better than Tyrant. I can see myself collecting MP Galvatrons, especially if Takara throws one into the ring.

Meanwhile, I'm looking very hard at MP-28, the new Hot Rod on the way in a couple of months. He's not perfect, but I really want a Hot Rod/Rodimus to challenge Galvatron for galactic supremacy. Overclocking's my other TF figure, and he doesn't have a prayer. It's a pity those Autobots die so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Now that is a proper sized MP Grimlock right there. FansToys has just knocked all five of these out of the park.

BUv4mP5.jpg

ExSHW9n.jpg

2H9U2J4.jpg

9lfSqhk.jpg

Aske

They sure did. Damn those are some magnificent Dinobots. I really want blue Swoop, but he's obscenely expensive. I wish he was priced like the repaint they released in toy colours. I can't settle. Blue Swoop!

Drayco21

Titans Return Blurr:

27560427d1451937328-titans-returns-blurr-first-images-titansreturnblurr.png

Obviously going to wait for official product shots before passing judgement, but I'm not feeling it right now. I'm generally not a huge G1 guy, and I was holding out hope for a bit more IDW/Animated style to it- when I think of Blurr, I think of more curves and angles, and the G1 silhouette just doesn't do it for me. Might still pick it up just to have a Blurr of some kind in my collection.

Hopefully the Brainstorm remold looks more to my tastes.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The thing that annoys me about the fanstoys dibots is how inconsistent their designs are

All five of them are slavish reproductions of the G1 toys with MP engineering and G1 cartoon design sensibilities. There's no inconsistency in them whatsoever.

Titans Return Blurr:

27560427d1451937328-titans-returns-blurr-first-images-titansreturnblurr.png

Obviously going to wait for official product shots before passing judgement, but I'm not feeling it right now. I'm generally not a huge G1 guy, and I was holding out hope for a bit more IDW/Animated style to it- when I think of Blurr, I think of more curves and angles, and the G1 silhouette just doesn't do it for me. Might still pick it up just to have a Blurr of some kind in my collection.

Maybe go track down the Blurr that was a Drift repaint?

All five of them are slavish reproductions of the G1 toys with MP engineering and G1 cartoon design sensibilities. There's no inconsistency in them whatsoever.

Sorry, but you're wrong. I have all 3 releases so far. The originals are supposed to be based on the toon(they have versions for toy and toon). The gold chromes don't match, they use a completely different chest color/plastic on sever compared to scoria, they changed the hip designs(scoria is mp08, sever is quakewave), the 2 upcoming have translucent necks instead of solid. That's just some of the obvious things. The do a lot right, but they do equally about as much dumb

Aske

Have you seen SXS Overclocking? Awesome IDW Blurr.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Sorry, but you're wrong. I have all 3 releases so far. The originals are supposed to be based on the toon(they have versions for toy and toon). The gold chromes don't match, they use a completely different chest color/plastic on sever compared to scoria, they changed the hip designs(scoria is mp08, sever is quakewave), the 2 upcoming have translucent necks instead of solid. That's just some of the obvious things. The do a lot right, but they do equally about as much dumb

Haha, wow. No, I'm not wrong. Those are all intentional choices. There's nothing dumb about the FansToys Dinobots, except maybe the fact that they're spending money catering to the five people who want G2 repaints of them.

yami4ct

Looks like I'm hitting the QC lottery with UW Devastator.

First had a left combined wrist that was so loose, it was practically falling apart. Got a replacement from HLJ. On the second, Scrapper's gun handle breaks off in the storage hole. Assuming they give me the same options (partial refund or replacement), I think I'm still going replacement. Any other figure I'd take my lumps and go, but Devy is so damn good otherwise. It's a shame I've had so many issues. I'll probably give it at least one more go, but I'm pretty gutted.

I can't even get the thing out by trying to drill it. The plastic is too soft and the drill won't hold.

Looks like I'm hitting the QC lottery with UW Devastator.

First had a left combined wrist that was so loose, it was practically falling apart. Got a replacement from HLJ. On the second, Scrapper's gun handle breaks off in the storage hole. Assuming they give me the same options (partial refund or replacement), I think I'm still going replacement. Any other figure I'd take my lumps and go, but Devy is so damn good otherwise. It's a shame I've had so many issues. I'll probably give it at least one more go, but I'm pretty gutted.

I can't even get the thing out by trying to drill it. The plastic is too soft and the drill won't hold.
can you get a refund? hlj is pretty good with offering a refund + cover return shipping,
if it's causing too many issues. (unless it's way passed shipped date)

yami4ct

can you get a refund? hlj is pretty good with offering a refund + cover return shipping,
if it's causing too many issues. (unless it's way passed shipped date)

I'm certain they'll help me out. I just got the replacement, so it's certainly not too long. Normally, I'd take a partial refund and call it good. Think I'm going for a second replacement since I do super dig this figure. I'll just be really careful with scrapper's gun on the new one.

HLJ's CS is great. Honestly glad I paid a little extra to go with them on Devy.

yami4ct

I'm certain I've just got really dumb luck. I've seen like 3 other people on the major boards with issues (a couple had tabs break, one had a pin come out but could easily reinstall).

If issues were remotely common, threads become a mile long. Look at the threads for MP Starscream, MP Roddy or even MP Lambor with his paint issues.

I'm certain I've just got really dumb luck. I've seen like 3 other people on the major boards with issues (a couple had tabs break, one had a pin come out but could easily reinstall).

If issues were remotely common, threads become a mile long. Look at the threads for MP Starscream, MP Roddy or even MP Lambor with his paint issues.

yeah 1st and 2nd version of mp-09 had different things wrong w/ it. hopefully hotrod will be better (but kinda looks like his chest is walking around w/ a poster sign, don't like it)

i have a ko lambor (my only KO that i got for free, everything i buy is original) that has better paint job than takara's

cool, good to know Devy is pretty safe.

yami4ct

Well, HLJ got back to me and I can't get a second replacement since they can't guarantee more issues, but I can still get a full refund. Think I'll do that and just rebuy it since he's still in stock. That's effectively the same thing as a replacement. I'm still betting I just got dumb dumb luck on the QC roulette.

Well, HLJ got back to me and I can't get a second replacement since they can't guarantee more issues, but I can still get a full refund. Think I'll do that and just rebuy it since he's still in stock. That's effectively the same thing as a replacement. I'm still betting I just got dumb dumb luck on the QC roulette.

yeah that's what i was recommending. the only thing is the yen to usd is bad this week so if you're definitely planning on rebuying through them, get the store credit.

good luck on the new one.

yami4ct

yeah that's what i was recommending. the only thing is the yen to usd is bad this week so if you're definitely planning on rebuying through them, get the store credit.

good luck on the new one.

I'm not too worried about the yen as it seems like it's only like 4% off where it was. Sucks, but it'll be like $7, I'll likely just rebuy him upfront and ship him out with some other stuff now and then use store credit on the MPs I've got on order once the return gets processed.

good plan, yeah if you got stuff on pre-order def take the store creidt vs. original payment as it'll be in your favor due to the weakened exchange rate (maybe it'll change in the future)

mp ironhide is suppose to come out jan. getting excited

yami4ct

Ironhide should be hitting the 30th. Super pumped. Despite the sort of tepid reaction from other hardcore MP fans, I think he looks great. Even with the concessions made so that he can actually be a figure.

I'm with you on your earlier comments about MP Hot Rod 2.0. I'm not really feeling him. I'm still buying him because he's an MP, but I think I'll let him sit in my Private Warehouse and ship with Shockwave the next month. I never do that. It seems like G1 Hot Rod is just a really hard design to render in plastic and the best they can do is only like 70% of the way there. Still excited mostly just to play around and see what they do with the transformation, but I'm not as pumped as I'd like to be.

Ironhide should be hitting the 30th. Super pumped. Despite the sort of tepid reaction from other hardcore MP fans, I think he looks great. Even with the concessions made so that he can actually be a figure.

I'm with you on your earlier comments about MP Hot Rod 2.0. I'm not really feeling him. I'm still buying him because he's an MP, but I think I'll let him sit in my Private Warehouse and ship with Shockwave the next month. I never do that. It seems like G1 Hot Rod is just a really hard design to render in plastic and the best they can do is only like 70% of the way there. Still excited mostly just to play around and see what they do with the transformation, but I'm not as pumped as I'd like to be.

just wished they didn't include the matrix, felt that forced the chest to be the way it is...

These new MPs are cool and all but the thing I'm currently most excited about is the upcoming CW Sky Lynx. It's just that I ADORED the character as a kid and it's finally getting an authentic looking update. I just wish his tail was a bit longer.

Drayco21

So, you guys have probably heard about the podcast leaks indicating that Computron is coming after all, and even the computer listing for a Computron boxset the other day, right? Well, it looks like we're getting art leaks for the set now too:

1452271672_computron03.jpg

I think it's fair to say Computron is happening. That's not the one that's throwing me for a loop.

How about a Combiner Wars figure for Liokaiser

27561195d1452267832-possible-liokaiser-art-revealed-deathkaiser-art.jpg

Granted, it could be fake, but it looks a hell of a lot like the art they've been doing for a while now to me. Never would've seen that one coming, though. Looks like he's a remolded Sky-Lynx torso, with two Brawl legs (one Brawl using the TFCC drill thing), and two Air Raid arms.

I feel like Liokaiser may be Takara's next instead of going for Bruticus next.

I just don't feel like Liokaiser has much of a western audience.

I could be dead wrong tho and hope I am.

yami4ct, I guess HLJ can't just send you the gun of the first Devy you got and you send them the broken one, that way they'd have a Devastator with two problems that they can still return to Takara and you get a complete one.

These new MPs are cool and all but the thing I'm currently most excited about is the upcoming CW Sky Lynx. It's just that I ADORED the character as a kid and it's finally getting an authentic looking update. I just wish his tail was a bit longer.

Remember that CW Sky Lynx is not functionally the same as the original, by which I mean it doesn't separate or have a proper lynx mode (fans have sort of worked out an unofficial mode but it's not the same). It's just plane with box below, space dragon, and torso with lynx face.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
There's also this teaser for Takara's Bruticus, which has a shuttle Blast Off and what seems to be a G1 style rotor for Vortex.

7yvdj03.jpg

Top Bottom