• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

hey gang, what do people use to create different levels in their display cases? I want to be able to tier the figures on each shelf so they can be better seen in the back...anyone have good suggestions? I've seen clear platform looking things but never got a name or link or anything. Thanks!

yami4ct

hey gang, what do people use to create different levels in their display cases? I want to be able to tier the figures on each shelf so they can be better seen in the back...anyone have good suggestions? I've seen clear platform looking things but never got a name or link or anything. Thanks!

I don't use special risers for my bookcase display or my Detolf, but I do use an ikea compute desk that has 2 raised shelves. Naturally creates 3 levels and breaks up the display nicely.

Remember that CW Sky Lynx is not functionally the same as the original, by which I mean it doesn't separate or have a proper lynx mode (fans have sort of worked out an unofficial mode but it's not the same). It's just plane with box below, space dragon, and torso with lynx face.
Yeah I saw and I still think it's great. I mean it's a space dragon man. And I kind of dig how he's a combiner now.
Then again I also loved the Whirl they released some time ago. Many people seem to not like him.

Yeah I saw and I still think it's great. I mean it's a space dragon man. And I kind of dig how he's a combiner now.
Then again I also loved the Whirl they released some time ago. Many people seem to not like him.

Fair enough, just wanted to make sure you knew. :)

I got the new Whirl a while back... yeah, it's not one of my favorite figures. I particularly dislike the weapons he comes from, they are so... odd and don't combine with each other nearly as well as they could. The figure itself is OK, but proportions wise it doesn't resemble much the psycho we all know and love from MTMTE.

Fair enough, just wanted to make sure you knew. :)

I got the new Whirl a while back... yeah, it's not one of my favorite figures. I particularly dislike the weapons he comes from, they are so... odd and don't combine with each other nearly as well as they could. The figure itself is OK, but proportions wise it doesn't resemble much the psycho we all know and love from MTMTE.
I suppose they wanted to strike a balance between MTMTE Whirl and the original toy. It works for me but I can see how it wouldn't for others.

Liokaiser art makes it look like it's going to have the same two jet redecos for arms and two of the same tank redecos for legs. Lame

Ugh, that's the one thing I hated most about Victorion's legs, followed closely by the red/green scheme. Doing that for arms and legs is pretty shitty.

Slightly related, I recently reflected on how the weakest point of Combiner Wars is the lack of different molds and transformation schemes, especially for voyagers/torsos. There's only so many times you can buy the same three voyager patterns before you feel ripped off.

And now unrelated, here's a transcript of all (couple hundred apparently) questions and answers given by James Roberts over twitter. Keep scrolling down after the first few posts for the second half. Definitely avoid reading them if you're not up to date on MTMTE.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Liokaiser art makes it look like it's going to have the same two jet redecos for arms and two of the same tank redecos for legs. Lame

Well, one of the tanks has a drill, so that's...kind of new? Of course, we already know that drill remold is being used at least two more times (Nosecone and Ramhorn).

Combiners aren't really known for their variety of limb designs, to be fair.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
What do you folks follow to learn about new G1-reissues / MP announcements? Still holding out hope for Mirage!

Mirage is probably not in the cards for official Takara releases in the near future, but there is a pretty nice looking third party Mirage called DX9 Invisible.

eb189eb5gw1emjsht6r9kj21kw29a4f6.jpg

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Rumor from people who've gotten MP announcements correct before the announcement is that MP Mirage is very much in the cards and sooner than you'd think.

Not what I've heard, and I'm one of those people. I've heard Hound, Sunstreaker and even Jazz, but no mention of Mirage for a long time. However, Takara is supposedly stepping up their MP car production this year to compete with the burgeoning third party scene, so anything's possible. I'd say Mirage is more probable than the one I want to happen, that's for sure.

yami4ct

Not what I've heard, and I'm one of those people. I've heard Hound, Sunstreaker and even Jazz, but no mention of Mirage for a long time. However, Takara is supposedly stepping up their MP car production this year to compete with the burgeoning third party scene, so anything's possible. I'd say Mirage is more probable than the one I want to happen, that's for sure.

We'll certainly see. Given how this kind of info goes around, it's quite possible for confusion or mis-info to slip around.

The stepping up production fits with what I've heard being floated around. I've seen it mentioned that TT is aiming to get MPs to a 1 a month release schedule including repaints. Seems to fit with what we've seen so far this year. If that's the case, it's easy to buy into all of these rumored announcements hitting sooner rather than later.

Also been hearing chatter that the BW line is absolutely bigger than Primal, so that'll be interesting to see.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
BW is absolutely more than just Primal. A Megatron is a 99% lock, and Dinobot and Rattrap are probably a safe bet, too.

yami4ct

BW is absolutely more than just Primal. A Megatron is a 99% lock, and Dinobot and Rattrap are probably a safe bet, too.

I've heard Primal and Megatron are locks with a vague hint of more. Dinobot was my guess as well. Rattrap seems safe if all goes well. I could also seeing Cheetor getting in there, depending on how big the line is.

I'm really interested to see how the BW MPs end up. They seem like an even more difficult engineering problem than most of the MP's they've had to do.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Primal is pretty much just a refinement of the original toy design. Word is they've given up on the idea of soft fur, which might be for the best. I'd kind of like to see Megatron get rubbery dino skin, though.

mpprimal.jpg

yami4ct

I saw those scans earlier. I'm interested in seeing it rendered in plastic. The robot mode looks really good, but it definitely looks to compromise on the gorilla. That's fine since the way the show depicts it is physically impossible, but I'm interested to see how it fully turns out.

I had never heard talk of using soft fur. Glad they went away from that. The CG model in the show was a shiny mess to begin with, so it's not like it would've made it more on model. I wouldn't mind rubber skin for Megs. That should be doable, look like the dino model and not hurt the toy. Megs in general will probably be an easier design to translate.

yami4ct

MMC also recently released an MP Mirage (on the right)

The engineering on the MMC one looks a lot better, but good lord is that head sculpt awful. Invisible's isn't great, but it's better than that. Invisible has those weird leg joints, though.

Hopefully whenever TT gets around to Mirage, it hits it somewhere between those two.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah, MMC's goofy head sculpt really sinks it. Neither is really fantastic. I agree, if TT makes one, hopefully it's a compromise between the two.

Personally I would love an MP Trailbreaker, but I'm betting that of all the first year Autobot Cars, that'll be the one made last, if at all.

Wow Titans Return Leader Class Soundwave looks terrible. I wasn't a fan of that mold for Blaster but it's downright bad for Soundwave. Thank goodness for the MP.

Drayco21

Wow Titans Return Leader Class Soundwave looks terrible. I wasn't a fan of that mold for Blaster but it's downright bad for Soundwave. Thank goodness for the MP.

I think it looks okay, but I'm not in love with it either. I'll probably still pick it up, because I need a Soundwave, and the FoC is too overpriced on secondary markets at this point, but I still wish he was a voyager instead of a leader. Hopefully his cassettes turn out pretty good- Rewind looks great already, I could see him being remolded into a solid Frenzy/Rumble, and a decent Ravage and Laserbeak repaint from Blaster's other little dudes.

Faiz

Primal is pretty much just a refinement of the original toy design. Word is they've given up on the idea of soft fur, which might be for the best. I'd kind of like to see Megatron get rubbery dino skin, though.

Thank god, flocking of any kind just sounds like a huge mess.

muteki

Yeah I'm not liking Soundwave as a boom box. Makes sense for Blaster but Soundwave is a walkman. Mostly just the speakers are bugging me, and the oversized visor.

It is better than than many of the other Soundwave alt modes in recent years though. Interested in new cassettes as well.

Savitar

The only reason to make him a boom box is so they can easily make a Blaster version. It's kind of the big problem with TF toys, the reusaging going on. Wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so fully of hollow parts etc. Makes them feel cheap.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah I'm not liking Soundwave as a boom box. Makes sense for Blaster but Soundwave is a walkman. Mostly just the speakers are bugging me, and the oversized visor.

It is better than than many of the other Soundwave alt modes in recent years though. Interested in new cassettes as well.

Soundwave is an actual-size microcassette player, a thing that literally doesn't exist anymore. I'm fine with the update, especially with the old-fashioned speaker mesh look it has. The fact that we're getting legit music player alt-mode Blaster and Soundwave is amazing.

The only reason to make him a boom box is so they can easily make a Blaster version. It's kind of the big problem with TF toys, the reusaging going on. Wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so fully of hollow parts etc. Makes them feel cheap.

It's the opposite this time, Blaster was the first one made/designed (they showed pics of him a couple of months back). I'm fine with this though, as lately it's always Blaster who's the remold. It's nice seeing him as the leading mold this time.

Really, at this point if you want a classic Soundwave just go for the original (that holds up really well) or the masterpiece.

Toxi

Banned

mpprimal.jpg
Very interested to see how the colors work out here; that's probably the most important part of getting a decent-looking beast mod, since any red or blue or the like will stand out horribly.

Savitar

It's the opposite this time, Blaster was the first one made/designed (they showed pics of him a couple of months back). I'm fine with this though, as lately it's always Blaster who's the remold. It's nice seeing him as the leading mold this time.

Really, at this point if you want a classic Soundwave just go for the original (that holds up really well) or the masterpiece.

Getting a Soundwave MP is easier said than done unless you want that puke translucent version. But yeah classics or the original is doable.

Very interested to see how the colors work out here; that's probably the most important part of getting a decent-looking beast mod, since any red or blue or the like will stand out horribly.

Sins of the Wreckers has had a few beast mode enemies show up.

Pretty sure the main bad guy is Tarantulus.

Pity it's not very good.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
i'm confused... why does he have a basemode? why is he a headmaster?

He has a base mode to give him some play value beyond "rectangle that does nothing" in alt mode, and to serve as a base/playset sort of thing for the Titan (Nebulan equivalents) figures. He's a Headmaster because that's the gimmick for Titans Return. The line will have everyone Deluxe size and larger as a Titanmaster (the new word for Headmaster), with larger bots having helmet add-ons to make the heads the proper size and shape. Numerous stand-alone Titanmaster heads based on more obscure characters will be available, too.

He has a base mode to give him some play value beyond "rectangle that does nothing" in alt mode, and to serve as a base/playset sort of thing for the Titan (Nebulan equivalents) figures. He's a Headmaster because that's the gimmick for Titans Return. The line will have everyone Deluxe size and larger as a Titanmaster (the new word for Headmaster), with larger bots having helmet add-ons to make the heads the proper size and shape. Numerous stand-alone Titanmaster heads based on more obscure characters will be available, too.

interesting, thanks for the background. just curious in regards to the current fiction storyline behind this.

Dion314

Neo Member

mpprimal.jpg

First off I didn't even know this thread existed so it's awesome to see other TF Die Hards!

Now, I had the original and honestly? I think I'm a little disappointed that it's just reworking the original design. I'll be impressed if they can hide the robot sections better than the original but those pictures make it look like the EXACT same thing.

And finally, I just picked up the CW Devastator set and it's AMAZING....except for the lack of elbow joints on some of the robot modes and the black hands for Devastator....this was of course before I saw the Unite Warriors version which fixes BOTH problems. Ah well, still an awesome set!

yami4ct

Yeah, MMC's goofy head sculpt really sinks it. Neither is really fantastic. I agree, if TT makes one, hopefully it's a compromise between the two.

Personally I would love an MP Trailbreaker, but I'm betting that of all the first year Autobot Cars, that'll be the one made last, if at all.

I think we'll absolutely see all the '84 bots, barring licensing issues but those seem to be fading away. I do think we'll see Trailbreaker prior to the other minibots, unless they make them as a big set. Maybe Cliff gets done first. With the clip we're going, I would not be shocked at all if the '84 bot cast is complete within like 3 years.

NEO0MJ

Now, I had the original and honestly? I think I'm a little disappointed that it's just reworking the original design. I'll be impressed if they can hide the robot sections better than the original but those pictures make it look like the EXACT same thing.

The MP figures pride themselves on being screen accurate, even if it feels off now. And I part of the problem with Primal is that he turns from one humanoid bipedal mode to another humanoid bipedal mode, so there's not many ways to hide parts convincingly.

Top Bottom