• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

New pics of MP Primal:
http://www.seibertron.com/transform...s-primal-in-new-video-and-still-images/34669/

Not digging how the back of the thighs look in beast mode. Also not digging in beast mode he can't put his arm on his head without his bot mode shoulder pad hanging out.

Still excited. Just not that impressed tbh.

Will wait for color pics though and and final designs.

It's been a while since I owned BW Primal, but I can't see the Masterpiece in this. The BW figure was pretty damn good to begin with.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah, that is looking more and more like a slightly upgraded version of the original toy rather than a legit Masterpiece. But frankly I always thought that would be the case with any MP attempt at Season 1 Beast Wars characters. The show models pre-Transmetals weren't even trying to be physically possible transformations.

Yeah, IMHO, all the BW toys still hold up very well. Moreso than some of the RiD and Unicron toys that came after them do.

In fact, I'm surprised how well many of the BW toys hold up to modern standards.

Edit: So I guess there has been confirmation that MP Primal will be a bit taller than the average Voyage. I'm kinda disappointed, tbh. I was hoping for him to be MP10 size. But I guess this makes sense so he falls in line with Rhinox and Rattrap.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I doubt he'll scale well with the Generations BW guys. Rhinox should be substantially larger than Primal.

bBI24iP.jpg

Just broke down and ordered Unite Warriors Bruticus from Iacon Toys. I've spent more money in Transformers these past months than in the last five years. :S

So see lot of pics of CW combiners with the chunky Defensor thigh mold, being posed with the legs turned inward to look skinnier. Looks good, but tried it on my Defensor and it will not stand still. Are people just faking it and putting something in to hold up these toys for pics?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Got MP Ironhide today. What a fantastic figure. I'm gonna break down and get Magnus with my tax return.

Mine's on its way. I really hope he's better in person than in pictures, because I came this close to canceling.

Magnus, on the other hand, is one of the best figures in the MP line's history, and I don't even particularly like the character. That toy is just a big solid mass of badass robot, with a really fun transformation. Highest possible recommendation.

Mine's on its way. I really hope he's better in person than in pictures, because I came this close to canceling.

I like him a lot. Tons of accessories, extra sled, great transformation, and solid. Probably my third fave of the ones I own after MP-10 and MP-13. Need Tracks and Magnus and I have all the molds.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I like him a lot. Tons of accessories, extra sled, great transformation, and solid. Probably my third fave of the ones I own after MP-10 and MP-13. Need Tracks and Magnus and I have all the molds.

The pictures make his chest look really hollow and sort of flimsy. Ironhide should have a big thick barrel of a chest. How is it in-hand?

yami4ct

The pictures make his chest look really hollow and sort of flimsy. Ironhide should have a big thick barrel of a chest. How is it in-hand?

He feels solid as a rock to me. There are some panels that feel flimsy at first, but after a few transformations everything is loosened enough and showed zero signs of wear. He's got a nice weight to him as well and a really clever transformation. Everything tabs together super securely and that really helps him feel hyper solid. Tons of personality and possibility as well. Really, really like him.

Got MP Ironhide today. What a fantastic figure. I'm gonna break down and get Magnus with my tax return.

Magnus is one of my favorite MPs. He's got some posablity problems that are sort of necessary due to the design, but he's such a fun and interesting toy. I love just messing with him.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
He feels solid as a rock to me. There are some panels that feel flimsy at first, but after a few transformations everything is loosened enough and showed zero signs of wear. He's got a nice weight to him as well and a really clever transformation. Everything tabs together super securely and that really helps him feel hyper solid. Tons of personality and possibility as well. Really, really like him.

Thanks, that definitely makes me feel better about it.

Find it annoying with the IDW Transformers series how you really never know if anyone is ever dead. Bots who are torn apart, stabbed through the chest, blown to bits, torn to shreds, and even said to be dead, seem to constantly just come back all brand spanking new eventually.

Mike M

Nick N
Never was into Beast Wars, but this looks ok.
"Okay" is the exact word. I'm not even a collector of the MP figures, and I find this disappointing. Looks like a phenomenal Generations figure, but as a MP entry it seems the motif of slavish accuracy to the animated character design for BW characters is a fool's errand. Bot mode or beast mode, something's gonna take a hit.

I don't think there is much that can be done to make really awesome Beast Wars figures beyond that really. Mechanical transforming to organics is just not really feasible, it's always going to look wrong. Far easier to have mechanical beasts or machines transforming into bots

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
"Okay" is the exact word. I'm not even a collector of the MP figures, and I find this disappointing. Looks like a phenomenal Generations figure, but as a MP entry it seems the motif of slavish accuracy to the animated character design for BW characters is a fool's errand. Bot mode or beast mode, something's gonna take a hit.

I'm glad it's happening, if only to finally shut the people constantly screaming for MP BW figures up for a while. If this thing is as underwhelming in-hand as it is in pictures, it might kill that little movement dead. You can't really do much with characters who were never designed to be real objects. Updated Transmetals would work better, but those figures are already pretty great to begin with, so I don't see what the MP treatment would do for them beyond making them slightly bigger and adding swappable faces as in-jokes for show fans.

Mike M

Nick N
Eh, other eras shouldn't be arbitrarily excluded. Non Transmetal BW and BM Maximals are just likely to be the hardest. Fire Convoy, Black Convoy--Hell, there's even some stuff out of the Unicron trilogy I wouldn't mind seeing.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It's not about eras, it's about designs. There's plenty of room for an MP Fire Convoy or MP versions of some of the (*ptoo!*) Unicron Trilogy designs. But characters that turn into organic beast modes whose models paid no heed to how the transformation would happen in reality are always going to come up short. The BW Season 1 models cheat constantly and hugely with the transformations, and several of them are just never going to work in physical space, like Primal there. Some of them you would be more successful with, like Megatron or Tarantulas, but they're never going to be versions of the characters on par with the G1 MPs.

This isn't a problem after Season 1 as much because the Transmetals and Fuzors were very closely based on their toy designs. I think Hasbro is aware of this potential problem, because you'll notice that even throwaway characters in the comics have legit transformation schemes designed into them now. The early Beast Wars characters are going to be a tough nut to crack in the MP line, and frankly if they're going to look like that I'd rather have Fire Convoy or Galaxy Force Prime.

And they can skip BM entirely because fuck that show.

Ordered Magnus, will arrive Thursday I imagine. Star Saber is next. With Hot Toys slowing down until summer I'll focus on picking up the MPs I missed.

yami4ct

I dig it. I think the robot mode captures OP's look quite well and I think the faux-fur texture works quite well. The Ape mode is a clear upgrade from the original, even if it has to make quite a few sacrifices for transformation. All the extra gimmick features are really nice as well.

Assuming he's not absurdly expensive, I'm game. I buy most MP figures anyway, so I see no reason to skip this one. Looking forward to the inevitable Megs and I hope Dinobot sees a MP as well. Don't really need any non-TM Beast MPs other than that.

If we're talking other eras, I'd kill for an MP Fire Convoy. An MP Armada Prime or even Galaxy Convoy would be really neat as well, though far down the list from Fire Convoy. Superlink stuff can stay in the garbage.

Ordered Magnus, will arrive Thursday I imagine. Star Saber is next. With Hot Toys slowing down until summer I'll focus on picking up the MPs I missed.

I'd say just skip Star Saber and put your money towards better stuff.

yami4ct

Really? I've always liked the look of the figure and it's probably the only Victory MP we'll ever get.

Figure looks really good, but is by far the worst post Convoy 2 MP. He's the only MP in that era I would actively say is bad. Tons of weird QC issues like weak arm ratchets and the antenna not being able to be posed correctly very easily. You also have the fact that he has massive design issue. The way Saber snaps into the chest of the final robot is horrible and feels doomed to break.

Also, the sword can not be held with the blade pointing in the direction you'd like while clipped into the hand. While using the tabs of the handle, the sword ends up flat side front and it looks silly as hell.

I don't think I was this disappointed by an MP since Hot Rod 1. You can make him look good on a shelf and he's not quite as bad as him, but I honestly can't say he's worth spending the money he costs.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I back yami4ct's Star Saber opinion 1000%. Very weak figure, lots of weird issues, and really kind of a zero in terms of transformation and alt modes. Unless you just want a pseudo-Gundam to stand on your TF shelf, or a huuuuge fan of the character in the anime, he's fairly unimpressive. He's practically the G1 figure with elbows and knees. Star Saber is the only MP I regret buying, and I have all of them. I wholeheartedly second the notion to skip it and buy something better.

yami4ct

Can you really say he has elbows when the ratchets barely work on them? Both of the elbows on mine have basically zero hold on those ratchets after just a year of sitting on the shelf. It's nuts how bad the QC is on that guy.

I actually like the look and transformation on him. If the way Saber clicked into the chest was less precarious and scary and the QC wasn't garbage, I could recommend him. As is? He's not worth the price of a large MP. He feels rushed and I suspect he was given the circumstances of how he was chosen for release.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Transformation is pretty much just "lay down, tuck the legs up...okay, it's a spaceship if you squint now." It doesn't really look like anything, but that's a problem of the post-movie G1 stuff in general. One of the treats of the MP line is seeing them figure out how to make a robot that looks like the animation model turn into a vehicle that's close enough to the real thing to warrant an actual license deal with the car manufacturer. When you get to the 2005 "future vehicle" stuff, a lot of that goes out the window because there's no template to adhere to for the vehicle mode. Magnus gets away with it because he still has to become something that resembles an Optimus remold, and Hot Rod can kind of squeak by due to his car mode being both iconic and based on a real concept vehicle.

But something like Star Saber is just, not to put too fine a point on it, bullshit. It's clear they just started with the robot mode and sort of fiddled with the idea until they came up with a couple of vaguely spaceship-shaped contortions to put him into, and called it a day because fuck it, it's "Cybertronian" and that means you don't have to try. It's not an interesting thing to attempt for an MP, because there's nothing to really achieve, and I really wish God Ginrai or Fire Convoy had won that stupid fan poll instead. Doesn't help that they'll probably waste an MP slot on Victory Leo at some point down the road, either.

Enkidu

Man, Ironhide is amazing in hand. Pics don't do it justice
I agree. I wasn't all that into him before, but his faults don't really matter that much when you actually get him in hand. Sure, there are improvements that could have been made, but he is pretty damn good the way he is. It's also great to get a decently sized Autobot (that isn't oversized like Magnus).

The real question for me is what to do with Ratchet. I was never that big on Ironhide, but Ratchet is a top tier character. The problem is that I really prefer the Marvel version wit the red head, but I don't know if I want to hold out for such a possibility or buy him when I can get one for a decent price.

Herbs

Banned
I agree. I wasn't all that into him before, but his faults don't really matter that much when you actually get him in hand. Sure, there are improvements that could have been made, but he is pretty damn good the way he is. It's also great to get a decently sized Autobot (that isn't oversized like Magnus).

The real question for me is what to do with Ratchet. I was never that big on Ironhide, but Ratchet is a top tier character. The problem is that I really prefer the Marvel version wit the red head, but I don't know if I want to hold out for such a possibility or buy him when I can get one for a decent price.

Yeah, there's improvements for almost every character really, 3rd party or official. His plastic feels great and he really pops in color. Actually him next to Star Saber really shows how cheaped on the red plastic on SS. Ironhide's is very similar to the MPP-10 KO. I have my offiial MP-10 still sealed but not sure if I want to open him yet. May have to to see how he stands with the rest of my MP's

Ovek

7Member7
Man, Ironhide is amazing in hand. Pics don't do it justice

It's one of the best MP figures if not the best. The press pictures for it made it look awful especially the head design when in fact the head is pretty much spot on.

Transformers-1.jpg

Shame it came with his dual pistols but he should have come with some blast hole stickers you could stick on his chest. ;)

Oh man MP Ironhide is niiiiice! It more than makes up for the abomination that is Tracks. Ironhide is nice and sturdy, and the transformation is fun.

Although my one complaint is how the side of the chest slants inward. I also wish his weapons base came with the tri-stands under it.

Tizoc

MTMTE 49
Poor Skids, makes me wonder what he was like after the Grindcore thing until he deleted his memories

Find it annoying with the IDW Transformers series how you really never know if anyone is ever dead. Bots who are torn apart, stabbed through the chest, blown to bits, torn to shreds, and even said to be dead, seem to constantly just come back all brand spanking new eventually.

CR chambers, son.

MP Magnus is so cool, but I don't like him as much as I thought I would, mainly because of the articulation. Just can't do as much with him as I could Optimus or Soundwave. Still amazing how they did the transformation, and it by no means a bad figure, but as someone who enjoys posing robots above all else he is definitely not as enjoyable.

Think I'll order Tracks for $60 on Amazon next, or maybe finally order Coronation Screamer from BBTS. $200 for the Seeker mold just pisses me off and I continually missed the TRU release.

muteki

Image of new Fort Max from the Toy Fair catalog, compared with new Metroplex and G1 Max, thanks to TFW forums:

24350285644_281225d404_b.jpg

I like the robot mode proportions but will be pretty bummed if there are no hip cannons. I hope also the rumors of no city mode are false.

Herbs

Banned
Image of new Fort Max from the Toy Fair catalog, compared with new Metroplex and G1 Max, thanks to TFW forums:

24350285644_281225d404_b.jpg

I like the robot mode proportions but will be pretty bummed if there are no hip cannons. I hope also the rumors of no city mode are false.

looks really good, surprisingly.

Top Bottom