• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It looks like its a lot more than just a redeco of Metroplex like some people thought.

It's a remold of Metroplex. I don't think anyone thought it was just a redeco except a couple of crazy people on TFW who insisted Fort Max's torso was just "Metroplex's torso backwards."

muteki

It's a remold of Metroplex. I don't think anyone thought it was just a redeco except a couple of crazy people on TFW who insisted Fort Max's torso was just "Metroplex's torso backwards."

It's not "just" the Metroplex torso backwards, but that appears to be what they were working from, notice the hip and left shoulder hinge:

SDCC+Metroplex+022.jpg

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It would probably be more accurate to just say it shares parts with Metroplex. There's a lot of new pieces on that thing.

Mike M

Nick N
Yeaaaaah, that city mode is... Not great. The other one is pretty faithful to my recollection, but it was terrible and stupid in the original incarnation, too.

New Fort Max looks great, looking forward to adding him to the collection when he's released.

Also really liking the look of Computron - he was always my favourite Autobot combiner, not sure why mind you, just a certain something.

I have to admit, the Combiner Wars and Titan Wars lines are really playing on my TF weaknesses. There's a lot of figures launching soon that are inspired by some of my old favourites, but I surely cannot justify buying them :-( sigh.

yami4ct

Today's reveals were sort of disappointing to me. Sad we didn't see anything that wasn't already leaked for one. Fort Max is really cool, but it also kinda doesn't seem to be that big of an upgrade over the original besides having slightly better arm posability, fingers and knees. It's really cool the leader base modes attach to Max, but Max's Base mode is pretty lame. Better than Titan Metroplex, but not great. Also not digging the thin waist on the robot. It seems like he lacks his hip cannons as well, which is sad. I do like how Cerebros appears to make the top of the main tower. Much better use of him in the base mode.

Titan Masters are a bit too G1y for me. I prefer a more IDW style. This is especially prominent for Chromedome. The head is spot on IDW, but the body is so thin. Sad he doesn't match the bulky silhouette IDW's cuts. He'll be a good enough replacement, but I wanted more. Blurr is cool for really capturing his G1 look, but I prefer the IDW styled Generations toy. Scourge looks absolutely awful. I like Mindwipe a whole bunch, but don't have an attachment to the character. Still will probably buy because he looks like a damn cool toy.

For the voyagers, Alpha Trion is a cool idea, but I'll stick to my Botcon 07 one. Something about the lion shoulders really doesn't fit the character to me. Makes him feel too aggressive. If we got a Lio Prime remold, though, I'd be 100% on board. Astrotrain is cool, but I wish we had the traditional dark deco instead of the white.

Legends look awful besides Wheelie and I suspect even he will be super tricky to find. Legends distro is awful IME. It's sad, since I've been adoring what they've been doing in that class. The leader Boombox Bots continue to be far too big for my taste and I dislike the head sculpts on both. I'm hoping we'll get another Headmaster released individually for Blaster to give him the design I prefer.

Yeah, not digging 2016 lineup so much right now. Only instant buys are Chromedome, Mindwipe, Computron, Galvatron and at least 1 of the 2 train/shuttle bots.

I'm sad there where no more Combiner Wars, especially after all those rumors and art reveals.

I wonder if either they where fake or they where from a Takara release(which I've been saying since the beginning).

muteki

All the Deluxe Titans Return figures look much better than I anticipated. Especially Chromedome. Definitely picking him up, Blur and Wheelie. I would have liked to see more articulation in the titan masters themselves after so many years, but too small I guess. Independent legs would have been nice.

I'm really on the fence about Fort Max, need to see more impressions/features or Takara changes because I think (hope anyway) that the official images are hiding some features. I think the G1 reissue in comparison is still pretty compelling, feature for feature. Most of the extra joints present in the new kit are not that big a deal to me given the apparent lack of poseability of the feet/ankles. I don't find it very "fort-ey" either, needs more gun emplacements all over his body.

yami4ct

I'm sad there where no more Combiner Wars, especially after all those rumors and art reveals.

I wonder if either they where fake or they where from a Takara release(which I've been saying since the beginning).

The art reveals would be for full boxes sets that would be for the Platinum line. Computron is 100% coming. We've seen the listing and even a prototype. We also have more G2 Platinum boxed sets.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Apparently they showed a peek at the design for Titan Class Trypticon, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Is Computron going to be a collector set or individual bots? I'm wondering if I need to track down Scattershot now, or if I can just wait for the complete set.

While I'm generally done with buying TF, there are plenty of upgrades for my existing collection here. I will definitely need a Powermaster OP and Blurr was one of my favourites. Along with Computron and, of course, Shockwave and Ratchet, I'll be spending plenty on Transformers this year too...

Sky Lynx and Fort Max look cool, but there's something about the originals that make them look so iconic that a bit more detail and articulation won't make me replace them. I guess the same could be said for Omega Supreme.

Now, if they could just release a Predaking and get it over with.

yami4ct

Is Computron going to be a collector set or individual bots? I'm wondering if I need to track down Scattershot now, or if I can just wait for the complete set.

While I'm generally done with buying TF, there are plenty of upgrades for my existing collection here. I will definitely need a Powermaster OP and Blurr was one of my favourites. Along with Computron and, of course, Shockwave and Ratchet, I'll be spending plenty on Transformers this year too...

Sky Lynx and Fort Max look cool, but there's something about the originals that make them look so iconic that a bit more detail and articulation won't make me replace them. I guess the same could be said for Omega Supreme.

Now, if they could just release a Predaking and get it over with.

They haven't officially revealed it yet, but the leaked listing and the fact it uses the new hands/feet like Victorian means it's 100% a collectors set. Expect future combiners to be like that as well given Titans taking over. If the art is anything to go by, Scattershot will also have some slight deco tweaks to make the combined mode more accurate to the G1 Computron deco.

Only instant buys are Chromedome, Mindwipe, Computron, Galvatron and at least 1 of the 2 train/shuttle bots.

Not getting Rewind? For me it's the #1 must buy considering they even put the head camera on him.
My sure picks are Rewind, Chromedome, Skullcruncher, Hardhead, Blurr, Galvatron and perhaps Wheelie. I have to see more of that Scourge but I'll probably pick it up to round up the trio with CW Cyclonus. I also have to see more of the other triple changers. The rest including Fort Max and Blaster I will most likely pass on (although I may have missed someone).

I'm now wondering if Brainstorm's head will be compatible with these. I assumed no, but I just realized the combining scheme is the same (using the headbot's own head as a peg). I'm also assuming the cassette bots in this line aren't compatible with any past versions of Soundwave/Blaster, since they seem to be proportionally thicker.

Drayco21

Chromedome and Rewind are my only guaranteed buys right now. Also would've liked a more IDW looking body on Chromedome, could easily see myself picking Skullcruncher an Mindwipe too just because I like cool looking Decepticons. I'll have to see how Brainstorm looks in-person, because I'm a bit let down by the art; he's not IDW enough for my tastes, and the old voyager is probably too big to look very good next to his buddy.

Maybe it's just because I don't care about G1, but a Titans Return isn't really doing it for me; Headmasters always seemed like a dumb gimmick, and being tied to a rumored price increase sure as hell isn't endearing them, and the G1 aesthetics of Blurr, Scourge, Fort Max and Wheelie just look bad to me.

Was really hoping for a Warrior-class Windblade from RID for as long as she was announced as part of the show's cast, but now that we've seen one, it just looks awful, even for the RiD line. It's like Windblade is cursed to never have a good figure, or something.

Overall pretty disappointing Transformers showing at Toyfair this year; count me in the same boat as yami4ct as far as wanting more IDW, less G1; I'd love to see an IDW Rodimus to go with that Galvatron.

NEO0MJ

Titan Masters are a bit too G1y for me. I prefer a more IDW style.

Yeah, this is something that has been turning me away from a lot of Transformers recently. Like, why even make a toy of Whirl and base it on his G1 iteration when the only reason people give a damn about him is thanks to IDW's MTMTE series?

yami4ct

Anyone hear any rumors about whos the next Transformers masterpiece to be revealed?
Hound was the one going around for a while. Assuming the next MP revealed is a G1 figure, not BW Megs or a repaint, my bet is him.

Not getting Rewind? For me it's the #1 must buy considering they even put the head camera on him.
My sure picks are Rewind, Chromedome, Skullcruncher, Hardhead, Blurr, Galvatron and perhaps Wheelie. I have to see more of that Scourge but I'll probably pick it up to round up the trio with CW Cyclonus. I also have to see more of the other triple changers. The rest including Fort Max and Blaster I will most likely pass on (although I may have missed someone).

I'm now wondering if Brainstorm's head will be compatible with these. I assumed no, but I just realized the combining scheme is the same (using the headbot's own head as a peg). I'm also assuming the cassette bots in this line aren't compatible with any past versions of Soundwave/Blaster, since they seem to be proportionally thicker.

Totally forgot Rewind. His bot mode is spot on and he's definitely a must buy. Will probably get Hardhead as well.

aparisi2274

I picked this up last night as a Valentine gift to myself... lol

KLG10041.jpg

It was on sale, and so I said to myself, "Self, pick it up!" so I did!

JLynn

Any news on what the next Hasbro MP will be? I was hoping it's Tracks since we saw the prototype pictures of him with a G1 toy face.

Any news on what the next Hasbro MP will be? I was hoping it's Tracks since we saw the prototype pictures of him with a G1 toy face.

There where rumors of Bumblebee.

We are also supposed to get Sideswipe(it was supposed to be out this year I think?). Unless that was meant to be for Hasbro Asia.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
At last year's Botcon I'm pretty sure Hasbro said Sideswipe would be out in the US by the end of 2015. So, uh...soon, maybe?

Mike M

Nick N
Power Surge Optimus looking really not good. Guessing it's one of the larger-sized figures with the simplistic transformations we started getting with AoE?

WTF is Laserbeak's vehicle mode thingy supposed to be? Looks like his tape mode with wheels and a couple forklift blades.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Power Surge Optimus looking really not good. Guessing it's one of the larger-sized figures with the simplistic transformations we started getting with AoE?

He's a Robots in Disguise toy, not a Titan Wars toy, so he's targeted at much younger kids.

Savitar

I never thought I'd say this but........Wheelie is the best looking one there.

Time to get ready for the Apocalypse.

yami4ct

I'd be very happy with either of these,especially Hound. Really want Kickback and Blaster too.

I could see an Insecticon set happening. Not in the instant future, but not that far out. Don't think we'll see Blaster for a while. They're going to get most of the major S1 characters before even touch someone like him. I also expect the other major movie characters, Galvatron, Springer, Arcee, Cyclonus and maybe Scourge and a Rodimus Prime 2.0, before we see him.

I could see an Insecticon set happening. Not in the instant future, but not that far out. Don't think we'll see Blaster for a while. They're going to get most of the major S1 characters before even touch someone like him. I also expect the other major movie characters, Galvatron, Springer, Arcee, Cyclonus and maybe Scourge and a Rodimus Prime 2.0, before we see him.

i want MP galvatron =)

yami4ct

i want MP galvatron =)

At this rate, getting to the popular Movie guys is happening sooner rather than later. You can't do 5-7 new MP molds a year just on the G1 S1 cast, and Galvy is more popular than a good chunk of the S2 people.

My bet is we'll see him either next year or the year after. I think we'll get 2 large MPs this year. Shockwave next month and Beast Wars Megs at the end of the year. Next year I think we'll finally see either a Megatron 2.0 or a Galvy, but not both. The other will be the year after. That is assuming the line doesn't suddenly bomb and Takara rethinks their release style.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
MP Galvatron is coming sooner rather than later, IMO, due to the 30th anniversary of the movie. I still say we will never see another MP G1 Megatron, at least not one that turns into a gun.

yami4ct

You can make airsoft guns that look like 100% real firearms in Japan. Heck, MP Megas 1.0 got a re-relase not too terribly long ago. We've also seen numerous MP molds that have stayed Japan only, so no need to worry about the western sales potential.

An MP Megs 2 is a when not an if. It will absolutely be coming. It's just a really hard design to get right and Takara can't afford to screw up Megs again.

I don't think we'll see a Galvy this year. MP BW Megatron seems like a pretty likely bet and I don't think we'll see 3 large MPs in a year. That being said, a Galvatron filling the slot in early 2017 that Shockwave filled this year would make a huge amount of sense.

Aske

I don't think we'll see a Galvy this year. MP BW Megatron seems like a pretty likely bet and I don't think we'll see 3 large MPs in a year. That being said, a Galvatron filling the slot in early 2017 that Shockwave filled this year would make a huge amount of sense.

Come on Takara. Give me my Season 3 MP hotness. You can wait til 2017 for Galvatron if you give me a really good MP Springer or Arcee this year.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
You can make airsoft guns that look like 100% real firearms in Japan. Heck, MP Megas 1.0 got a re-relase not too terribly long ago. We've also seen numerous MP molds that have stayed Japan only, so no need to worry about the western sales potential.

An MP Megs 2 is a when not an if. It will absolutely be coming. It's just a really hard design to get right and Takara can't afford to screw up Megs again.

I think we'll see Galvatron announced this year, maybe at the New York Toy Fair.

As for Megs, they're going to want something they can sell internationally, and a gun Megatron is not that, especially with the gun control debate at an all time high. I do not believe an MP Megs 2 will happen. I think they'll leave that to the third parties and do molds that can be released in more territories. The only notable MP mold that has stayed in Japan has been Star Saber, which was a fan poll to begin with. Every other large mold has come here in some form, other than Megatron.

yami4ct

I think we'll see Galvatron announced this year, maybe at the New York Toy Fair.

As for Megs, they're going to want something they can sell internationally, and a gun Megatron is not that, especially with the gun control debate at an all time high. I do not believe an MP Megs 2 will happen. I think they'll leave that to the third parties and do molds that can be released in more territories. The only notable MP mold that has stayed in Japan has been Star Saber, which was a fan poll to begin with. Every other large mold has come here in some form, other than Megatron.

The MP line has only grown in popularity. If there was profit in doing an MP Megs primarily for the asian market for the original, there is profit in it now. I don't see how SS being a fan poll choice changes the fact that Takara can do a mold specifically for the asian market. Megatron is certainly as popular or more than Star Saber. He will 100% be made. Takara isn't giving that up.

Megatron was sort of fine as a gun since he was so oversized. If they make him to scale with everyone else, he'd be much more realistic this time around.

Top Bottom