• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

aparisi2274

Finally took my MP-29 out of the box, went through the transformations and poses, and I have to say, he is a very nice figure, and I am happy with the color scheme. It's funny, because you'd think he would have a very complex transformation, but it was one of the most simple ones to day, and also, he has a large amount of die-cast parts on him...

Anyway, here are some pics I took...

26535138765_5babcc4dc2_b.jpg

26509167426_f8a8ec3193_b.jpg

26469064321_029fefe87c_b.jpg

26442815322_081256079d_b.jpg

25930174484_b3b59a05cf_b.jpg

yami4ct

MP Inferno's a weird one. He's such a minor character that I can't really get all that excited for him, even if I will buy him because he's a new MP mold. I'm also really shocked to see him coming down the pipe when I've not heard a single rumor around him. That hasn't happened in a good long while. Rumors around MP Hot Rod came late, but they still hit before any sort of official tease.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I don't see how he could be a retool and still make it worth the effort and cost. More likely he's a new mold because you can get a bunch of mileage out of it:

Inferno
Grapple
Roadhauler
Artfire

And if they really want to get cheeky they could do G2 Pyro.

It does explain the anime-color Red Alert, since they were buddies in the show.

Mindwipe

I don't see how he could be a retool and still make it worth the effort and cost. More likely he's a new mold because you can get a bunch of mileage out of it:

Inferno
Grapple
Roadhauler
Artfire

And if they really want to get cheeky they could do G2 Pyro.

It does explain the anime-color Red Alert, since they were buddies in the show.

Also his alt mode isn't accurate enough to anything to require paying license fees to a car manufacturer.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Ugh. Grapple and Inferno.

Where's my Hoist and Trailbreaker dammit?

I'd love to see an MP Trailbreaker. He was my first Autobot car back in the day so I have an irrational love for him.

Meanwhile, Grapple is the only Autobot car I don't have. I should probably remedy that.

Also his alt mode isn't accurate enough to anything to require paying license fees to a car manufacturer.

That's a good point. It's a good bet this mold will come Stateside fairly quickly.

Edit: Scratch that, Inferno and Grapple turn into Mitsubishi Fusos, so there probably will be a license.

13967.jpg

Mindwipe

That's a good point. It's a good bet this mold will come Stateside fairly quickly.

Edit: Scratch that, Inferno and Grapple turn into Mitsubishi Fusos, so there probably will be a license.

13967.jpg

Oh, he's clearly inspired by one, but he's really not very close.

Drayco21

Transformers #52 spoilers

Goddamn, I've been waiting a while for Soundwave's killing Horri-Bull to bite him in the ass. Prime is going full Prowl, and I love it.

IDW Transformers is really the most I've ever enjoyed this franchise. So good.

yami4ct

Where my MP BW Megatron at Hasbro?

Hasbro aren't the ones to ask for that. They really aren't the impetus for any of the new molds. They just bring Takara's over.

While Inferno's getting revealed right now, I don't expect to actually get him until next year. My bet for BW Megs is still either the December slot for this year or the February/March slot that Shockwave got this year.

Edit:

Totally forgot MP Ratchet was hitting today. As much as I love the Ironhide mold, I can't get that excited for Ratchet. He looks great and I'm glad to own him, but I feel like the only MP remold that ever really excited me was Smokescreen.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Oh, he's clearly inspired by one, but he's really not very close.

Yeah but if they wanted to, they could make the vehicle mode more accurate to justify a license. Takara loves licenses for the car guys. I give it 50/50 odds.

badcube's sunsurge, hows the transformation? Was really not a fan of the 64 step transformation of Wardog

Similar. He explodes into flaps and panels and reassembles as a robot.

yami4ct

Yeah but if they wanted to, they could make the vehicle mode more accurate to justify a license. Takara loves licenses for the car guys. I give it 50/50 odds.

What was the last non-licensed vehicle mode that they did? It was Prime right? I kinda think we'll be seeing a licence for Inferno as well. Takara loves that added authenticity and it lets them copy the G1 molds without fear of license infringement claims.

For some of the G1 cars they've done, they probably could've gotten away with it by using models closer to their distorted G1 cartoon counterparts. I'd say Tracks, Bee and Sideswipe are the only ones that seem super infringement heavy in the show. The Van brothers and Datsun Brothers are probably distorted enough to pass.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Technically it was Hot Rod, but yeah they absolutely didn't need to do licensed versions of Ironhide and Ratchet's vehicle modes. Takara seems to have an authenticity boner.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
New pics of Ultimetal Ultra Magnus, showing that it is indeed full armor that goes over a white Optimus, at least in parts. Goddamn, that is fantastic. Too bad it's going to cost the GNP of a small nation.

Ultimetal-Ultra-Magnus-1.jpg

Ultimetal-Ultra-Magnus-2.jpg

Tizoc

Is it me or does that look like a reverse pallete minimus ambus?

Ok let me just say that post nova prime ruling senate needs more stories told featuring them at least from roberts
Jackasses literally plotted to have nominus killed off among other twisted shit
I feel like when the bots that we see at the end of the scavengers' 2nd story are revealed, theyd be behind all the darkness of thr former ruling senate somehow

New pics of Ultimetal Ultra Magnus, showing that it is indeed full armor that goes over a white Optimus, at least in parts. Goddamn, that is fantastic. Too bad it's going to cost the GNP of a small nation.

Really beautiful, even though I'm not one for non-transforming TFs on principle (that's what Chogokins and Gundams are for, which incidentally are quite prone to these inner mechanism things).

I feel like when the bots that we see at the end of the scavengers' 2nd story are revealed, theyd be behind all the darkness of thr former ruling senate somehow

I hope not, that would undermine the very applicable point that there's bastards in every era because that's how people are (and Cybertronians are no different).

Probably just you? That's what Magnus' inner robot has looked like for 30 years. Certainly any similarities Minimus Ambus bears to it are intentional, of course.

He has a point in that UM's inner robot has never been depicted to have green parts, always cyan. Odd lighting, coincidence or MTMTE reference?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
He has a point in that UM's inner robot has never been depicted to have green parts, always cyan. Odd lighting, coincidence or MTMTE reference?

The MP had green parts of that shade on the waist. It looks like this one just decided to make all the non-white parts that shade of green. It's not remotely the same shade of green as Minimus, so I have a hard time taking it as a reference, although it is an interesting choice, no doubt.

Beth Cyra

Ultimetal-Ultra-Magnus-1.jpg

Ultimetal-Ultra-Magnus-2.jpg
Sweet goddess above.

Lack of blue face plate is interesting.

Still this is truly.the Magnus I've always dreamed of but goddess it's going to bankrupt me if I try to get it.

yami4ct

Got my MP Ratchet today. He's nice. Not much to say about him, because he's still just the MP Ironhide mold at his core, but that mold is still awesome to me. No noticible signs of degradation or anything, but that wouldn't really be there with only the second use of the mold. He's as tight as Ironhide was.

I've seen some complaints about the face sculpt elsewhere, and in person I really dig it. It looks like Ratchet to me. It still feels like the cranky old medic jumped off the screen. He's got a fantastic set of accessories just like Ironhide and they feel well tailored to his personality.Colors are all really nice and crisp as well.

Only things to note are his shoulders and arms look really bland without the stickers. Takara has offered 2 sets of stickers here. Crosses with autobot logos on them and crosses with squares. They can't offer the original crosses for obvious reasons, but it's easy to cut the cross shape out of the set with corner squares and give it the traditional look if you desire. I don't think the autobot logo ones look bad, but I prefer the cartoon accurate plain crosses in the end.

One funny thing is his lightbar can actually be pushed down into the top of his van for some reason. I'm not sure why you'd do it and it's not necessary for transformation, but if you want Ratchet as just a plain white van, the option's there for you. Also interesting that he lacks any sort of Nissan badges or logos like Ironhide had even though he's still a licensed product.

Overall, great use of a great mold. The Van Brothers mold is still my favorite release of the year and Ratchet looks just as awesome if not better than his brother.

aparisi2274

Only things to note are his shoulders and arms look really bland without the stickers. Takara has offered 2 sets of stickers here. Crosses with autobot logos on them and crosses with squares. They can't offer the original crosses for obvious reasons, but it's easy to cut the cross shape out of the set with corner squares and give it the traditional look if you desire. I don't think the autobot logo ones look bad, but I prefer the cartoon accurate plain crosses in the end.

What is up with Takara not applying the stickers themselves? They did with Shockwave too, and now it seems they're doing it with Ratchet? I'd rather they apply them, so I know that they'll be perfectly straight and not crooked...

Herbs

Banned
What is up with Takara not applying the stickers themselves? They did with Shockwave too, and now it seems they're doing it with Ratchet? I'd rather they apply them, so I know that they'll be perfectly straight and not crooked...

Different versions for different aesthetics based on the toy or cartoon or mix of various ways it looked in the cartoon. Makes the most people happy to give them that option and only a few will be upset by the lack of tampo-ing.

yami4ct

For Ratchet: It's to basically give people options since they can't legally give them the perfect look of straight crosses. Much better to do this and let people cut the crosses themselves or use the stickers as is than give an imperfect, but legally sound, tampo.

The reasons for Shockwave are already mentioned. Gives people the option of poorly drawn cartoon style logos or regular ones. It also lets people apply the toy accurate, but not cartoon accurate, logo to the chest if they desire.

It's not a system I like either, but both of these cases have good enough justifications IMO.

aparisi2274

Different versions for different aesthetics based on the toy or cartoon or mix of various ways it looked in the cartoon. Makes the most people happy to give them that option and only a few will be upset by the lack of tampo-ing.

For Ratchet: It's to basically give people options since they can't legally give them the perfect look of straight crosses. Much better to do this and let people cut the crosses themselves or use the stickers as is than give an imperfect, but legally sound, tampo.

The reasons for Shockwave are already mentioned. Gives people the option of poorly drawn cartoon style logos or regular ones. It also lets people apply the toy accurate, but not cartoon accurate, logo to the chest if they desire.

It's not a system I like either, but both of these cases have good enough justifications IMO.

That's fair! I can totally understand giving people options... It was just weird to see this start happening, since Ratchet is the 30th MP figure to be released...

yami4ct

That's fair! I can totally understand giving people options... It was just weird to see this start happening, since Ratchet is the 30th MP figure to be released...

Most of the other figures released have pretty consistent canon in terms of logo placement and don't have the legal trouble Ratchet's logos have. It just so happens that Ratchet and Shockwave both are released close together and have weird issues. It isn't really a long scale trend yet. Ironhide is all tampos, so is Hot Rod and in fact, the major autobot logo for Ratchet is also tampoed. TT has only gone stickers in weird one off cases.

JLynn

The fiancée surprised me with MPP10 for my birthday. I know most of you are anti bootleg and I understand that. I've been playing around with it for a few hours and the hype is true. It's so solid. The added details are spot on, and it transforms great. I can't wait for the trailer to be delivered. Here's a few pics of it next to my authentic Takara MP-10.

Herbs

Banned
The fiancée surprised me with MPP10 for my birthday. I know most of you are anti bootleg and I understand that. I've been playing around with it for a few hours and the hype is true. It's so solid. The added details are spot on, and it transforms great. I can't wait for the trailer to be delivered. Here's a few pics of it next to my authentic Takara MP-10.

Not most. Only a few. No worries. It's an awesome figure and Hasbro/Takara should be ashamed that they can't get their own figure as well made and as solid as 3rd party upscalers.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Not most. Only a few. No worries. It's an awesome figure and Hasbro/Takara should be ashamed that they can't get their own figure as well made and as solid as 3rd party upscalers.

If only someone had made the figure years before and ate all the dev and production costs so Has/Tak could just make a couple of tweaks and upscale it to an absurd size. Shame on you, Takara! So lazy!

Well, you already own the original so there's little room for criticism. :)

Herbs

Banned
If only someone had made the figure years before and ate all the dev and production costs so Has/Tak could just make a couple of tweaks and upscale it to an absurd size. Shame on you, Takara! So lazy!

that sand must be itchy. your ignorance is daring. stupid but daring

Cheerilee

Me too. I had to re-read Herbs' post a few times because I couldn't parse it at first as being directed to MattKeil's.

Herbs has argued in the past that bootleg Transformers are better than legit Transformers, because they do the same thing but cheaper.

MattKeil has called him out on that stance before.

I think most people around here (including Matt) are "accepting" of bootlegs, and let a few differences of opinion slide away, just to avoid fights.

Herbs called Hasbro/Takara "shameful" for being unable to compete with the price of bootlegs.

Matt cleverly mocked that statement.

Herbs tried and failed to deliver an insulting/witty comeback.

Top Bottom