• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

yami4ct

I'm conflicted. I like the darker comic book accurate purple more. What are the chances Takara releases a recolor?

There will likely be a recolor, but I expect something a bit more extreme than a darker purple. Maybe something Shackwave like with a black main color?

Takara doesn't typically do Comic inspired things since the Marvel Comics have virtually no following in Japan. King Grimlock and G2 Sideswipe are the 2 exceptions, so anything's possible.

Firemind

There will likely be a recolor, but I expect something a bit more extreme than a darker purple. Maybe something Shockwave like with a black main color?

Takara doesn't typically do Comic inspired things since the Marvel Comics have virtually no following in Japan. King Grimlock and G2 Sideswipe are the 2 exceptions, so anything's possible.
ew black no thanks

what color will they go with galvatron in that case? the cartoon doesn't really have a consensus :lol

yami4ct

ew black no thanks

what color will they go with galvatron in that case? the cartoon doesn't really have a consensus :lol

That's an interesting question. I'm guessing there is some key art for him they'll be following. If I had to guess, it'll be closer to the movie colors as they tend to use the film as the basis for the S3 characters.

There will likely be a recolor, but I expect something a bit more extreme than a darker purple. Maybe something Shackwave like with a black main color?

i hope they will do a recolor and it would look like this:
WKYdLou.jpg

yami4ct

i hope they will do a recolor and it would look like this:

It's possible, but Takara tends to go for more extreme recolors. Shackwave is more up their ally. If they do do that one, I could see it being a limited run exclusive like Silver Silverstreak was. Your best hope is maybe Shocky's gun mode is abstract enough that Hasbro can put him out here.

It's possible, but Takara tends to go for more extreme recolors. Shackwave is more up their ally. If they do do that one, I could see it being a limited run exclusive like Silver Silverstreak was. Your best hope is maybe Shocky's gun mode is abstract enough that Hasbro can put him out here.

maybe they do a radioshack color like you said for asia exclusive and one deep purple as takara mall jyp? =)

That's what I was saying. This guy:

Seems like the likely recolor they'll choose. Completely separate base color, the red eye is very striking and the shield can be a new added accessory. I know the shield is the muzzle on shackwave, but I can see Takara doing it as a new accessory.

sorry delayed edit, i see what you wrote and yeah i see you said that =) i had him as a kid, he's so awesome

Herbs

Banned
Seeing as those are his "Diaclone" colors ( I know. He wasn't Diaclone but you know what I mean ;p) and Takara's eagerness to put Diaclone versions out, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see his Astro Magnum colors.

Seeing as those are his "Diaclone" colors ( I know. He wasn't Diaclone but you know what I mean ;p) and Takara's eagerness to put Diaclone versions out, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see his Astro Magnum colors.

i'm excited about him overall despite the lighter colors =)

What does everyone think about the Takara version of Computron? I've always had a real soft spot for the Technobots and I just can't wait to get hold of him! Think he looks fantastic, was very disappointed with that 'Betatron' thing they showed off a while back, so this has cheered me up immensely!

Has anyone picked up the other 'regular' gestalts in the Combiner Wars line? The more I see of them online the more I think they look awesome, just tricky weighing up whether they'll be worth the inevitable extra cash now that I'm a little bit late to the party..

yami4ct

What does everyone think about the Takara version of Computron? I've always had a real soft spot for the Technobots and I just can't wait to get hold of him! Think he looks fantastic, was very disappointed with that 'Betatron' thing they showed off a while back, so this has cheered me up immensely!

Has anyone picked up the other 'regular' gestalts in the Combiner Wars line? The more I see of them online the more I think they look awesome, just tricky weighing up whether they'll be worth the inevitable extra cash now that I'm a little bit late to the party..

I think both look good for different reasons. The new hands and feet of the Hasbro one look good and I think the Strafe remolds on both are really interesting, though I think Blast-Off's is a hair bit better. Where I think Hasbro's will do better overall is Nosecone's vehicle. While I like the larger drill in limb mode of the UW one, the Brawl based vehicle is no doubt going to replicate Nosecone a bit better for me. New combiner chest and head are great for the UW one as well and probably going to push me to that set.

I own 3 of the CW gestalts so far, Superion, Menasor and Defensor. Menasor's individual robots are awesome, but as a combiner he's tricky. You can make him look good with some clever alternate transformations, but he's easily the worst of the 3 main ones. Superion is cool, but a bit bland. I adore Defensor on all levels and he's got great hockey goalie proportions that I think give him a unique look.

If you only get 1 besides UW Computron, I say maybe go UW Bruticus. He's got some great unique molding different from the CW one and is generally a best of of my favorite CW molds.

I adore Defensor on all levels and he's got great hockey goalie proportions that I think give him a unique look.

If you only get 1 besides UW Computron, I say maybe go UW Bruticus. He's got some great unique molding different from the CW one and is generally a best of of my favorite CW molds.

Agreed on both accounts, to the point I own (and love) Hasbro Defensor and have UW Bruticus preordered. I also have a second Hotspot I'm almost done repainting as Optimus, as well as Prowl, Mirage and Sunstreaker, and will be picking up Wheeljack and/or Hound to complete it when they're released here. Plus Takara Groove if they end up releasing it worldwide, of course.

I wish more autobot cars had gone with the clearly superior Sunstreaker mold/transformation scheme. It looks better as a car, bot, arm AND leg. The hollow on the backside of the hood part is so ugly on Streetwise/Prowl's arm and especially leg modes, not to mention arm mode's hollow wrist that splits in two just by looking at it.

yami4ct

Both MP Hot Rod and Shockwave came in the mail today. Going in, I would not have believed that Hot Rod would be the mold of the 2 that would end up being more impressive. Yes, he has problems with the backpack, but overall he feels like an extremely clever and worthy MP to me. His transformation is exacting and finicky, but I think he's brilliantly engineered in a way that allows him to be exacting while at the same time, the tabs do an amazing job 'guiding' you through the experience and making sure he's doesn't feel fragile. He has a really great cool look in both robot and vehicle mode as well and he has all the accessories you'd want from a Hot Rod figure. He's just striking, impressive and fun. The only complaint I really have is I wish we could get a Hot Rod in a more movie-esque magenta rather than the cartoon maroon we always see. I get Japanese fans really aren't as familiar with these guys as movie characters, but it's still their iconic looks to me. Maybe Hasbro will do a version of the mold that takes from the film rather than the toy. One can hope.

That isn't to say Shockwave is a bad figure, though. Far from it. He's absolutely amazing. He just doesn't really have any surprises. If you look at him, you know his transformation. The only truly clever bit comes from the way his legs split to make the back of the gun and the grip. I also enjoy the flip down cover to hide the trigger in robot mode. Nice small touch.

The problems I have with Shockwave come mostly from the use of electronics. The only thing that mars the look of the figure in robot mode is the backpack and that feels less like an attempt to give him a more all in one transformation and more of a way to integrate his electronics. The lights are neat, but I would have much preferred a parts forming robot that eliminated the backpack. The stand does a good job covering it up and blending it in, but it still would be better if it were gone. If they had gone all the way and included sounds as well as lights, I would've been on board. Just the lights makes it feel like the mold is sacrificing too much for the sake of the gimmick. It also feels like the electronics added a significant amount to the price. 16,800 yen MSRP feels really high for this guy, as much as I like him. If they had ditched the electronics and given us a cleaner Shockwave for around 12,000 - 14,000 yen, that would've been a much more satisfying mold to me. I also am not a huge fan of the stickers. I like that it gives people the option of using the poorly drawn G1 cartoon style logos, but the add a cheap feel to a figure that should not have one.

But he's not all negative. On the whole, I love him. He feels like G1 Shockwave walked off the screen. His coloring is a perfect match to the Shockwave key art and I love the look of it person. His eye has some of the best light piping I've ever seen on a figure and the die-cast in feet, muzzle connector spine and hose are really nicely appreciated. He's a fantastic looking and feeling figure worthy of the MP label. I'm not having as much fun just messing around with him as I am Hot Rod, but he's still really top notch and I don't regret the purchase one bit. He's 95% of what I'd want from an MP representative of the character and getting that close is super impressive. On the shelf, he's still an amazing representative of Shockwave and I can very much recommend him.

For fuck's sake, I had zero interest in Computron until now. :p Will probably skip it but that Takara Nosecone is amazing.

Also thanks yami for the impressions. I have my Shockwave preordered, but I'm a bit confused about the backpack thing. From the pics I've seen, he has two backpacks, both removable, a purple one that becomes a stand and from your review seems to be where the batteries and electronics are, and the gray piece that becomes the gun muzzle. I've never seen him without either, but since both pieces have to be removed for transformation I assume he has to be able to be wearing neither, is that right? Also, how does the whole electronics thing work? Does the backpack have wires or metal contacts in its connector?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The gray piece does not get removed for transformation. Only the purple cover/stand partsforms.

If anyone is interested in MP Ramjet, I suggest jumping on it ASAP. Apparently distribution is even more limited than expected on it.

yami4ct

MattKell got it, but I'll jump in as well. MP Shocky doesn't have a detachable muzzle like the original toy or cartoon. It's permanently attached and collapses down via a die cast spine. The batteries aren't stored there either. They go in his back for the muzzle light and arm for his arm gun. The electronics I'm referring to are just the LED for the light up muzzle. I suspect they did it the way they did to provide a brighter and more consistent light versus just using the arm gun light to light the barrel.

The stand collapses and forms a covering for the grey muzzle in robot mode to give it a slightly cleaner look.

1upsuper

What are people's thoughts on the MP-12s, Sideswipe? I really like the design of the black and red one and it has good reviews.

I should say I'm considering picking him up or Ironhide.

What are people's thoughts on the MP-12s, Sideswipe? I really like the design of the black and red one and it has good reviews.

I love the Sideswipe Mp figures,the black n red G2 one is excellent looking. Ironhide was a nice surprise in hand as well,very big and bulky in robot mode. You really cant go wrong with either of them,both are solid offerings!

yami4ct

The MP Lambor and Ironhide molds are two of my favorite smaller MPs. They're amazing.

NEO0MJ

I wish MP G2 Lambor had a regular face instead of that snarling one. It's the only thing stopping me from buying it.

Vyer

Saw a CW Onslaught yesterday, went ahead and picked him up. Not bad, I like the vehicle mode.

Also saw a leader Skywarp. That thing is huge. Wish I could find Starscream.

aparisi2274

Can someone with MP Shockwave let me know the battery type that goes into the arm cannon??

When I look at photos of it, they look like button cel batteries;

1h2yseI.jpg

But when I look on BBTS, they say the arm cannon takes 2x LR23 batteries, which seems odd, because when I look up that type of battery, it looks like this, and these will clearly not fit.

71MS49qweAL._SY355_.jpg

If someone can let me know what battery type I actually need to use, I'd really appreciate it, as I want to pick them up at Target today and I do not want to get the wrong type.

EDIT: Yes, I know the battery package says A23, but when you google LR23, it brings back this A23 battery, same when you look up the battery on wikipedia. It does go on to say that the A23 battery is made up of 8 LR932 button cells, which looks as if those would fit...

EDIT 2: I was able to get the batteries needed... seems all you need are these

69aefbad-20c3-4601-9695-1e382e211820_1000.jpg

I looked on tha back and it says they replace the LR44 batteries, so I should be good.

Tizoc

Is it wrong or weird that I like how the DJD enjoy all the torture and slaughter they do? They don't even try to hide it

1upsuper

My G2 MP Sideswipe arrived today. The Lambo mode looks great, and the transformation is brilliant. It might be my new favorite transformation. It's not a flawless figure, though. The silver paint apps below the knees are terrible, one set of the red exhaust pipes is mangled, and try as I might, I cannot get his waist to snap in correctly (those two red parts) and thus the front of the car won't go down low enough in order to snap in. I was a bit worried I might have a KO on my hands but I checked thoroughly with a guide and I'm positive mine is legit. Is there any fix for this? Is it worth trying to shave just a bit of plastic in order to fit that red piece into its slot? Or should I just leave both parts of his torso unpegged?

yami4ct

I've been holding out for the Sideswipe MP to be released domestically in the States. Sigh.

So, when Tomy and Takara merged, Takara got access to some pretty fantastic contacts in the auto toy licensing industry. Any of the companies that are part of the Volkswagen Group are pretty notoriously tight with licensing in general, and it's a fair bet that Takara picking up those contacts directly led to the MP line as it exists being possible.

That being said, Takara only licenses these molds for Japan and maybe parts of Asia, in order for Hasbro to release it themselves over here, they'd have to license the Countach design themselves. Given they don't have a history working with the Volkswagen Group, that is probably going to be a long and expensive process.

Long story short: Never expect a licensed MP to make it Westward. There are far more hurdles than normal for their release. Now that the Nissan brothers have begun to make it over, Nissan stuff is a safer bet, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sideswipe, Bumblebee or Red Alert never made it over.

So, when Tomy and Takara merged, Takara got access to some pretty fantastic contacts in the auto toy licensing industry. Any of the companies that are part of the Volkswagen Group are pretty notoriously tight with licensing in general, and it's a fair bet that Takara picking up those contacts directly led to the MP line as it exists being possible.

That being said, Takara only licenses these molds for Japan and maybe parts of Asia, in order for Hasbro to release it themselves over here, they'd have to license the Countach design themselves. Given they don't have a history working with the Volkswagen Group, that is probably going to be a long and expensive process.

Long story short: Never expect a licensed MP to make it Westward. There are far more hurdles than normal for their release. Now that the Nissan brothers have begun to make it over, Nissan stuff is a safer bet, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sideswipe, Bumblebee or Red Alert never made it over.

I swear Sideswipe was confirmed by a Hasbro rep for a release last year, unless that was for the Asia reissue. I could also have sworn that Bumblebee had some credible leaks early this year.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I swear Sideswipe was confirmed by a Hasbro rep for a release last year, unless that was for the Asia reissue. I could also have sworn that Bumblebee had some credible leaks early this year.

Sideswipe was confirmed at BotCon last year for a 2015 Western release that never happened. I suspect we may get some clarity this weekend at BotCon 2016, as someone is certainly going to ask about it at the Hasbro panels.

Meanwhile, Soundwave gets a tablet design.

phwPluM.jpg

That's pretty great. I wonder where all the robot parts go in tablet mo--

Ir8mJzf.jpg

Pfft.

Firemind

MP Sunstreaker when?

Hero

Is there a reason why you want a US release? Different accessories?

Not really! Other than just wanting to support the MP releases over here in the west. At this point I might as well bite the bullet, but he has so many KO I'd have to buy from a reputable dealer at this point.

Man, that is depressing to hear. I could've sworn they announced a western release a year or two ago though.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
But it's a modified Countach...

A modification that was never officially made or approved by Lamborghini. It's one thing to stick a fire department lightbar on top of a Countach, but to change the entire back end like that? It's highly unlikely they'd be willing to license a toy of it. I'm pretty sure we're stuck with third party on that particular character. Luckily Badcube Sunsurge is more than adequate.

Man, that is depressing to hear. I could've sworn they announced a western release a year or two ago though.

They did announce it, last year at Botcon. It just hasn't happened yet.

Top Bottom