• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

I don't know. All videos I've seen of this have a ridiculously low framerate, which doesn't make sense even as a rendering cost-saving measure like it did with 90's CG (I still remember Titan AE :p). I mean, current computers can render those visuals on the fly.

I'm intrigued about the setting though. It's hard to say since the trailer is pretty much all action, but it seems to be a variation on the IDW ongoing? I mean, obviously it's not the exact same, with Rodimus still on Cybertron, but still.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
What's this Prime Wars Trilogy stuff?

Combiner Wars, Titans Return, and Planets Transform are considered the "Prime Wars Trilogy" apparently.

Meanwhile, the Shout! Factory SDCC panel gave us some details on the Blu-ray of the 1986 movie. It will be in 4K, there will be both 4:3 and 16:9 versions on the disc, there will be behind-the-scenes features on the restoration process, original audio with 5.1, and a new documentary on the legacy of the film 30 years on. Looks like a pretty complete package.

Combiner Wars, Titans Return, and Planets Transform are considered the "Prime Wars Trilogy" apparently.

Meanwhile, the Shout! Factory SDCC panel gave us some details on the Blu-ray of the 1986 movie. It will be in 4K, there will be both 4:3 and 16:9 versions on the disc, there will be behind-the-scenes features on the restoration process, original audio with 5.1, and a new documentary on the legacy of the film 30 years on. Looks like a pretty complete package.

Is Planets Transform actually the third part of the trilogy?

Tizoc

bUT IS THe bluray region free? :X

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Paint job really takes it to the next level.

GUjRBOy.jpg

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Remind me when the EU/UK release will be?

9 years ago? TF:TM has been on Blu-ray in Europe since 2007, albeit not this version of it. Shout Factory is an independent US distributor that's producing the remaster/restoration and the new features in-house, so I don't know if any kind of release outside of the US has even been discussed yet. It's most likely up to Paramount to make that decision.

Anyone collecting Titans Return? Was looking at Skullsmasher and it seems like he has really loose ball joints on his hips, making it hard to pose him standing. Is this a ymmv scenario or flaw with the mold?

Drayco21

All modern figures are kind of a crap shoot as far as how loose they're going to be out of the box, but general word is that Skullsmasher is worse than the rest of the wave in that respect. That said, it's nothing some Pledge shouldn't take care of.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Anyone collecting Titans Return? Was looking at Skullsmasher and it seems like he has really loose ball joints on his hips, making it hard to pose him standing. Is this a ymmv scenario or flaw with the mold?

Skullsmasher is absolutely a floppy mess of a figure. Some nail polish or Pledge can solve that pretty quickly, but it doesn't solve the fact that his feet aren't deep enough to hold him up too well. At least his main issue can be rather easily fixed, as opposed to Galvatron, who is definitely the dog of the first batch.

Thanks for the feedback. Might go for just Blurr and Hardhead for now. Hopefully Soundwave and Astrotrain are coming relatively soon as I generally prefer Decepticons. Galvatron and Scourge seem pretty flawed. A recolor/remold of Blaster and Sentinel Prime seem like they'd be pretty solid.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Thanks for the feedback. Might go for just Blurr and Hardhead for now. Hopefully Soundwave and Astrotrain are coming relatively soon as I generally prefer Decepticons. Galvatron and Scourge seem pretty flawed. A recolor/remold of Blaster and Sentinel Prime seem like they'd be pretty solid.

Blurr and Hardhead are solid, and I do like Scourge even though he doesn't pin together 100% right in vehicle mode. Skullsmasher has a dynamite alligator mode, for what it's worth. Tons of detail on the alligator head, including a robo-tongue. Of the four deluxes so far I'd say Hardhead is the best one.

I have some serious buyer's remorse on Galvatron and to some degree Sentinel Prime. Galvatron is just garbage and while Sentinel is a fine mold, the searing orange just looks silly and I should have waited for Astrotrain, who is clearly who the mold was originally intended to be. Blaster's pretty great, so definitely grab Soundwave. And really I think I might like Powermaster Prime better than the original Ultra Magnus version of the mold.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I see no croc Cons here.

Okay, technically the new one is a crocodile, but the original character was an alligator.

I see no croc Cons here.

Okay, technically the new one is a crocodile, but the original character was an alligator.

As an European that has only seen either in zoos, I could hardly tell the difference between them, let alone mechanical versions of them. Allig con doesn't have the same ring to it either. :D

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
As an European that has only seen either in zoos, I could hardly tell the difference between them, let alone mechanical versions of them. Allig con doesn't have the same ring to it either. :D

The main way to tell is the snout. An alligator has a rounded snout and only its upper teeth protrude from its mouth when its mouth is closed. A crocodile has a longer v-shaped snout and teeth from both the top and bottom protrude when its mouth is closed. There are other differences, but that's the easiest and fastest way to ID them visually. G1 Skullcruncher has an alligator's head with only the top teeth visible, while Titans Return Skullsmasher has a v-shaped snout and top and bottom teeth visible.

I prefer alligators, myself, but crocs are way more aggressive so they kind of make more sense as a Decepticon alt mode.

Jaeger

So many awesome Megatron's coming out (and some already released) via our wonderful Third-Party friends.

The figures I am aware of;

DX9 D08 - SUPREME LEADER - MIGHTRON - Masterpiece Scale
HzTuhDe.jpg
ojsOH2I.jpg
WiuNliE.jpg

MakeToys MTRM-08 DESPOTRON - Masterpiece Scale
NxxJict.jpg
2lxs33g.jpg
NiQdBxF.jpg

X-TRANSBOTS MX-I APOLLYON - Masterpiece Scale
Wo0dWvX.jpg
aWsjYxz.jpg
XFwunwN.jpg

TOYWORLD TW-01 HEGEMON - Classics/Henkei! Henkei! Scale
2CikD5f.jpg
OcfhMkO.jpg
rnQLz6W.jpg

BOLD FORMS BF-01 GLADIUS THE DARK EMPEROR - Masterpiece Scale
a0hCyXl.jpg
igqFQpX.jpg
xkLbyDh.jpg
ByxJUht.jpg

I'm sure there are others but these are the ones I think are getting the most attention, and are designed to in most cases be a homage to their G1 toys/designs.

Mike M

Nick N
Gladius is pretty impressive to me with it's tank mode and updated handgun mode. The stock on the pistol grip is a bit out of place looking, but other than that it looks pretty neat.

Jaeger

I own this one

MX-I APOLLYON

And it destroys the official MP release from Takara.

That's what I coming to understand. The Robot mode is almost perfect.

Gladius is pretty impressive to me with it's tank mode and updated handgun mode. The stock on the pistol grip is a bit out of place looking, but other than that it looks pretty neat.

Yea, same here. That one is a must for me for the ALT mode alone. It being a triple changer is a bonus.

Apollyon is gorgeous in robot mode, but the transformation is extremely annoying and the gun mode is way out of scale.

DX9 while not as nice in robot mode does look good still, and the gun mode looks smaller, maybe scaled better?

Jaeger

Apollyon is gorgeous in robot mode, but the transformation is extremely annoying and the gun mode is way out of scale.

DX9 while not as nice in robot mode does look good still, and the gun mode looks smaller, maybe scaled better?

The robot mode is really good with Apollyon. However there is something off about the length of his legs, particularly the shins that are off too me. Too short?

A few years ago there were proto shots of a couple of scaled down MP Megs. I think one for sure was cancelled. I hope one surfaces, though. I'd get that.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I have Apollyon, who is certainly an upgrade over the Takara MP, but his legs are a disaster. He'll be replaced by either the DX-9 or MakeToys one, pending a full reveal of MakeToys' design. I'm guessing MakeToys will be the winner, though.

Jaeger

That's the first time I've seen a good close-up of Apollyon's face...and I hate it. The MakeToys one looks the best to me.

I have Apollyon, who is certainly an upgrade over the Takara MP, but his legs are a disaster. He'll be replaced by either the DX-9 or MakeToys one, pending a full reveal of MakeToys' design. I'm guessing MakeToys will be the winner, though.

The MakeToys one looks like it will be the best representation of a modern artist's interpretation of the original G1 design as seen on screen. Both in design and proportion. I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. The DX9 looks good too, as it seems to be a "fixed" Masterpiece interpretation. Mostly in the legs. Good to also see I am not the only one who doesn't like the legs on Apollyon. Wonderful figure despite that.

MakeToys' and Bold Forms' are more than likely both getting bought for me.

Jaeger

Update on Bold Forms' and MakeToys' Not Megatron.

Both look soo good. I don't think I've seen the alt mode for MakeToys' figure but just on that robot mode I am sold. Definitely the best out of all of them IMO.

And a bonus figure which I have no clue where it came from. No company info or anything. It's an interesting concept that never became anything. I would love to share others like this if anyone is interested.

EDIT - Just as I said that I found an image of his alt mode. Looks good!!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I feel like this MP Inferno accessory is going to be repurposed for more unsavory photos than anything since "laughing face" Woody.

MCzoQWi.jpg

The official MP Megatron is straight up trash. The worst MP ever made. Mightron and Apollyon look amazing though. Don't even need an official anymore.

Eh. MP Megatron was A) About as good as could be done at the time and B) Still better than MP Rodimus, who couldn't even hold together in robot mode or turn into the Future RV Camper mode without scraping paint off the spoiler. Those two are the only MPs I would really classify as bad toys today, though. It's a shockingly good line overall.

aparisi2274

ACG-HK-16.jpg

Was never really a fan of Beast Wars, but I do like what they did with the MP box, adorning it with the Beastwars font, and the proper insignia at the bottom.

aparisi2274

So does anyone own the DX-9 D07 Tyrant (aka Galvatron) 3rd Party Masterpiece figure? I was looking to add to my MP collection because the decepticon section of my case is pretty light, and I came across this figure, and almost all reviews say its an amazing piece...

dsc_543804.jpg

So does anyone own the DX-9 D07 Tyrant (aka Galvatron) 3rd Party Masterpiece figure? I was looking to add to my MP collection because the decepticon section of my case is pretty light, and I came across this figure, and almost all reviews say its an amazing piece...

dsc_543804.jpg

Yup, I own one. The transformation is kind hard and confusing when it comes to the chest area, and the instructions suck, but both modes are glorious, in my opinion.

Although I am curious to see how Fans Toys' turns out.

GuyKazama

dsc_543804.jpg

I have it and love it. I had the FT version on preorder, but cancelled after the most recent updates. FT releases lately have kept their looks, but are not fun to transform. That is not an issue with Tyrant.

The FT one is scheduled for the end of the year, but they are always late. After they send review samples to Youtubers (which hasn't happened yet), you can expect about a 2-3 month wait before delivery.

I'm also in for that DX9 Megatron.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Gotta go with Fans Toys for...well, frankly everything. Their MPs are head and shoulders above everyone else's. X-Transbots and MakeToys are closing the gap, though.

Jaeger

I really like the idea of the scaled down Masterpiece Figures. I only know of one that actually released so far. It is a scaled down Optimus Prime MP-10.

At one point there were a couple Megs figures being worked on but they were both camceled it appears. I would love both a MP scale Despotron and a Voyager scaled one.

This scale for his alt mode is perfect.

Issue 55 spoilers:

SON OF A BITCH. Take a look at this innocent panel from way back in issue 11, particularly the second text box.
300px-Ratchet_glitch_shadowplay.jpg

"From a distance" indeed; apparently he got around that "non-sentient" restriction, too. Reading through issue 55 I wasn't sure if Tarn was indeed supposed to be Roller at first and he changed it when it became too obvious for fans, but after rediscovering that panel I wouldn't put it past Roberts to have milimetrically calculated everything from day one to mislead readers without making it too obvious it was a mislead.

Scavenger

Oh didn't know about those, will def. track one down, thanks mate.
It's getting a region B release in December through Manga Entertainment.

Amazon UK Link: www.amazon.co.uk/Transformers-Limited-Anniversary-Steelbook-2-Blu-ray/dp/B01J69KVOK/

THE TRANSFORMERS -THE MOVIE 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

RENOWNED CLASSIC ANIMATED MOVIE ADVENTURE REMASTERED FROM A BRAND-NEW 4K TRANSFER OF ORIGINAL FILM ELEMENTS AND DEBUTS FOR THE FIRST TIME ON BLU-RAY™ IN THE UK!

COLLECTIBLE LIMITED EDITION 30th ANNIVERSARY STEELBOOK FROM MANGA ENTERTAINMENT AVAILABLE FROM DECEMBER 12th!

Experience the enormously popular animated feature The TRANSFORMERS – THE MOVIE like never before! In celebration of the film’s 30th anniversary, The TRANSFORMERS – THE MOVIE has been meticulously restored and remastered from a spectacular brand-new 4K transfer of the original 35mm film elements. Fans now can immerse themselves in this thrilling animated adventure with stunning picture quality for optimal home entertainment experience.

The TRANSFORMERS – THE MOVIE has captured a special place in the hearts of millions and has been a staple in the pop culture zeitgeist since 1986. Featuring memorable characters – the heroic AUTOBOTS, villainous DECEPTICONS and UNICRON, thrilling action and a heartfelt storyline, The TRANSFORMERS – THE MOVIE is a cultural touchstone that spans generations. Beloved by legions of fans, this full-length animated adventure boasts the voice talent of Orson Welles in his final voice acting role and an all-star voice cast that includes Peter Cullen, Eric Idle, Casey Kasem, Judd Nelson, Leonard Nimoy, Robert Stack and Frank Welker.

On December 12, Manga Entertainment, in collaboration with Shout! Factory and Hasbro Studios, celebrates the 30th anniversary of this iconic movie with this exciting new home entertainment release. Available for the first time on Blu-ray™, The TRANSFORMERS – THE MOVIE Limited Edition, 30th Anniversary Steelbook (2-Blu-ray™ set + Digital Copy) comes with a highly collectible Steelbook packaging that features striking key art, all-new HD transfer of the movie in widescreen and full frame on 2 Blu-rays™, immersive bonus content including brand-new featurettes, plus a digital copy of the movie.

Whether reliving the excitement from childhood or discovering this animated feature for the first time, The TRANSFORMERS – THE MOVIE 30th Anniversary Edition is a must-own for fans and collectors, and makes the ultimate fan gift!

The TRANSFORMERS – THE MOVIE 30th Anniversary Edition
Featuring the newly remastered movie from a new 4K transfer of original film elements

Special Limited Edition Steelbook Bonus Content:
• ‘Til All Are One – A brand-new, comprehensive documentary looking back at TRANSFORMERS: The Movie with members of the cast and crew, including story consultant Flint Dille, cast members Gregg Berger, Neil Ross, Dan Gilvezan, singer/songwriter Stan Bush, composer Vince Dicola and others!
•Audio Commentary with Director Nelson Shin, story consultant Flint Dille and star Susan Blu
• Featurettes
• Animated Storyboards
• Trailers and TV Spots

http://www.mangauk.com/post.php?p=the-transformers-the-movie-30th-anniversary-edition

Top Bottom