• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Tizoc

Issue 55 spoilers:

SON OF A BITCH. Take a look at this innocent panel from way back in issue 11, particularly the second text box.
300px-Ratchet_glitch_shadowplay.jpg

"From a distance" indeed; apparently he got around that "non-sentient" restriction, too. Reading through issue 55 I wasn't sure if Tarn was indeed supposed to be Roller at first and he changed it when it became too obvious for fans, but after rediscovering that panel I wouldn't put it past Roberts to have milimetrically calculated everything from day one to mislead readers without making it too obvious it was a mislead.

GO DEEPER
Ratchet mentions Megs' black hole powers as early as the first part of Chaos Theory

Well there it is :V
Thanks mate.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Titan Class Trypticon is so big he has rooms in city mode.

KTfNp4y.jpg

QvzRbWv.jpg

Also reliable sources indicate Takara has a Masterpiece Bruticus set in the pipeline.

GO DEEPER
Ratchet mentions Megs' black hole powers as early as the first part of Chaos Theory

I tought I replied to this, but for some reason seems to have been lost? In any case,
Megatron's portal / black hole connection has been mentioned a few times during the comic, but of particular note is that Megatron is often described to spend long stretches of time just alone in his quarters, sulking and thinking. Well, he wasn't sulking, he was reaching out for the black hole and Whirl's arm.

However, want to get your mind truly blown?
Check out the second to last statement of his G1 toy bio, way back at 1984!

1984__Megatron_(1984).jpg

Aske

So does anyone own the DX-9 D07 Tyrant (aka Galvatron) 3rd Party Masterpiece figure? I was looking to add to my MP collection because the decepticon section of my case is pretty light, and I came across this figure, and almost all reviews say its an amazing piece...

dsc_543804.jpg

We're taking Galvatron? This is relevant to my interests!

I own Tyrant. Love him, love the way he poses and his transformation. He's less accurate than FansToys Sovereign, but makes up for it be having a lot of his own character. I like his facesulpt and helm a great deal better.

Major criticisms: he has a couple of weird, tiny flaps that will pop off during transformation. They're designed to accidentally pop off, but their hinges are still very fragile. His feet are fucked up, no two ways about it. And he's not blue enough.

That being said, I have Sovereign preordered. He's not blue enough either, but he looks magnificent, and I love his alternate screaming face sculpt. He's much more toon accurate in robot mode. He's also crazy good value: $125 from Chimungmung, which is a steal for an FT figure. I was going to wait for a possible alt color, but when I read that was the price I preordered on the spot.

Titan Class Trypticon is so big he has rooms in city mode.

KTfNp4y.jpg

QvzRbWv.jpg

Also reliable sources indicate Takara has a Masterpiece Bruticus set in the pipeline.
Unless Bruticus is super popular in Japan, I kinda find this an odd choice. If there's any combiner popular enough to warrant an MP, it's surely Devastator.

Unless Bruticus is super popular in Japan, I kinda find this an odd choice. If there's any combiner popular enough to warrant an MP, it's surely Devastator.

The timing is odd in general, considering we've got two official and entirely different Bruticus molds in the past few years (the FOC one and the CW one), with the Takara version of the latter reportedly pretty much what one could ever want from a Bruticus. I don't think it can get much better than Takara's UW Devastator either within a reasonable price. The one obvious choice IMHO would have been Predaking, it would have flied off shelves considering how many people want one to go with the CW ones.

Drayco21

Combiner Wars Devastator is pretty close to MP scale, so I imagine that they chalked that one up as taken care of.

yami4ct

Maybe it's just the CW Bruticus with better paint and maybe slight remolds? Like that MP Movie Starscream.

Individual Bots are out of scale. It really wouldn't fit in the MP line right now.

While I'd be surprised by an MP Bruticus, if you're going to do an MP combiner that's probably where you start. It's almost certainly the most popular 5 piece combiner. Devastator is a bigger deal, but would require 6 pieces. I love the CW combiners, but I'm certainly not gonna say they're perfect. They're as good as they can be given their budgets. With an MP price and budget, they could do absolutely amazing things.

I've also heard the Bruticus rumor. We'll see. Hearing Dinobot as well, but I've been hearing him for a while and these both would likely be pretty far down the line.

In more 'grain of salt' rumor mongering, MP Megs 2.0 talk is popping up again. Even hearing rumors he'll be getting revealed in the next couple days at the Con. It's almost certainly BS, but keep an eye out. We might be in for a surprise.

In more 'grain of salt' rumor mongering, MP Megs 2.0 talk is popping up again. Even hearing rumors he'll be getting revealed in the next couple days at the Con. It's almost certainly BS, but keep an eye out. We might be in for a surprise.

MP Megs 2 actually would make a lot of sense (more than any combiner IMHO). Takara doesn't seem to be averse to redoing MPs, especially to make them fit better with the current MP standards of quality and scale. Megatron is currently a glaring hole in the line as evidenced by the ton of third party MP Megatrons, the only thing is that they may be a bit late to maximize market appeal precisely because of them.

Frankly, I'm not sure how MP combiners would even work. If each component is made in scale with the other MPs, not only are you looking at an insane retail price, there is such a thing as "too big" with figures, especially combiners, where they simply weight too much for any joint to support them. If each component is smaller, it kind of defeats the purpose of the current MP line, plus Devastator would not be much different to the current UW one.

Firemind

Frankly, I'm not sure how MP combiners would even work. If each component is made in scale with the other MPs, not only are you looking at an insane retail price, there is such a thing as "too big" with figures, especially combiners, where they simply weight too much for any joint to support them. If each component is smaller, it kind of defeats the purpose of the current MP line, plus Devastator would not be much different to the current UW one.
I think Takara can make it work since Onslaught isn't much bigger than the rest, unlike say Motormaster.

hqdefault.jpg

It's similar to the Constructicons, but with five pieces. Though with Devastator, Long Haul and Hook make up the body. With just Onslaught making up the body, you'd get the CW Bruticus issue, who is a bit on the skinny side.

Really, I just want Bruticus to look like this:

c2386e917b889204c14734628cfc4234.jpg

GuyKazama

ToyWorld has done a good job with regards to scale. Basically scaling them based on bot mode, and using partsforming to get the proper height -- using the movie as the most realistic Devastator height scale. I don't like the final result very much -- I'm getting the GT Constructicons instead -- but they scale well. Versus CW / UW Devastator, there is a clear quality difference.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ld-constructor-devastator-constructicons.html

ToyWorld is now doing a Bruticus.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Bruticus has been reissued and repainted more than any other combiner in the line's history, moreso in Japan than here. For whatever reason, he's their go-to guy in the combiner roster.

MP Megs 2 actually would make a lot of sense (more than any combiner IMHO). Takara doesn't seem to be averse to redoing MPs, especially to make them fit better with the current MP standards of quality and scale. Megatron is currently a glaring hole in the line as evidenced by the ton of third party MP Megatrons, the only thing is that they may be a bit late to maximize market appeal precisely because of them.

Well one theory on the glut of third party Megatrons suddenly in the pipeline is that the third parties know the Takara 2.0 version is coming and want to make some money while they can. Not sure I buy it, though, as the gun mode is still a major hurdle to getting the mold sold overseas for HasTak, while third parties don't have to deal with that level of scrutiny. An official MP Megs 2.0 is on my "believe it when I see it" list.

ToyWorld has done a good job with regards to scale. Basically scaling them based on bot mode, and using partsforming to get the proper height -- using the movie as the most realistic Devastator height scale. I don't like the final result very much -- I'm getting the GT Constructicons instead -- but they scale well. Versus CW / UW Devastator, there is a clear quality difference.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ld-constructor-devastator-constructicons.html

ToyWorld is now doing a Bruticus.

Eeeesh, not liking the proportions on that one at all. Head is huge and ugly, the chest is far too small and thin. About the only things that looks better are the legs.

Bruticus has been reissued and repainted more than any other combiner in the line's history, moreso in Japan than here. For whatever reason, he's their go-to guy in the combiner roster.

Well one theory on the glut of third party Megatrons suddenly in the pipeline is that the third parties know the Takara 2.0 version is coming and want to make some money while they can. Not sure I buy it, though, as the gun mode is still a major hurdle to getting the mold sold overseas for HasTak, while third parties don't have to deal with that level of scrutiny. An official MP Megs 2.0 is on my "believe it when I see it" list.

I wonder how much income Takara makes from overseas sales, particularly with MPs that aren't officially release outside Japan. For any other thing I would think it's negligible and unlikely to factor into their plans, but Transformers is the one property where they're bound to have more American fans and perhaps less Japanese ones than on any other.

yami4ct

Star Saber was already made with no chance of overseas sales. There is like a 90% chance shockwave will never come over either. I'm certain they're a bonus, but I don't think they're a deciding factor. We'll see a Megs 2 sooner or later.

The places I'm hearing Megs from aren't the usual spots, which is why I say grain of salt. The cancer of it being true in this specific case seems low. But, on the same token, Shockwave and Inferno both came with a similar lack of warning, Just a few unreliable rumblings before a quick reveal, so who knows?

Only thing that gives me pause is that I keep hearing talk of Galvatron and BW Megatron. I suppose Megs 2.0 could push one of those out, but I don't see them releasing 3 destron leaders in one year.

Jaeger

Generation Toy's Not-Constructicons looks amazing. I would love to get him someday. Along with the pre-order incentive, "Tyrant". They are really attractive looking figures. And as far as I am aware, the biggest 3P Not-Devastator thus far.

New pic of Bold Forms' Gladius.

This looks so good!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Star Saber was already made with no chance of overseas sales. There is like a 90% chance shockwave will never come over either. I'm certain they're a bonus, but I don't think they're a deciding factor. We'll see a Megs 2 sooner or later.

The places I'm hearing Megs from aren't the usual spots, which is why I say grain of salt. The cancer of it being true in this specific case seems low. But, on the same token, Shockwave and Inferno both came with a similar lack of warning, Just a few unreliable rumblings before a quick reveal, so who knows?

Only thing that gives me pause is that I keep hearing talk of Galvatron and BW Megatron. I suppose Megs 2.0 could push one of those out, but I don't see them releasing 3 destron leaders in one year.

We've been over this before, but Star Saber was made as a result of a fan poll. It's not a relevant comparison to Takara choosing to make a gun character given today's U.S. political climate.

And Shockwave was absolutely known about ahead of time if you knew the right people. Megs 2.0 so far is nothing but wishful thinking, even if the third party rush has been a semi-reliable sign in the past. Certainly true with Inferno/Grapple. Kinda makes me wonder if a HasTak MP Trailbreaker might be in the cards, too, which is something I thought they wouldn't get to until waaaay down the line.

yami4ct

We've been over this before, but Star Saber was made as a result of a fan poll. It's not a relevant comparison to Takara choosing to make a gun character given today's U.S. political climate.

And Shockwave was absolutely known about ahead of time if you knew the right people. Megs 2.0 so far is nothing but wishful thinking, even if the third party rush has been a semi-reliable sign in the past. Certainly true with Inferno/Grapple. Kinda makes me wonder if a HasTak MP Trailbreaker might be in the cards, too, which is something I thought they wouldn't get to until waaaay down the line.

I still think your crazy to think a Megs 2 won't happen, but I suppose either of us won't know until it either does or the MP line goes away forever without him showing up.

I would love to see a Trailbreaker. I think his design is one of the more interesting ones in G1. An MP Inferno/Grapple could easily lead to him. Like I said here too, I also wouldn't be kind of a test bed for expensive larger figures of B-Tier characters. Stuff like Trailbreaker and the other Dinobots, or the triple changers or other figures in that vein.

Tizoc

KITTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GIFT WRAP THIS THING?!
HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET IT ON A PLANE AGAIN WITHOUT IT BREAKING?!
WHY IS IT SO BIG?!

Ah well at least it's what 2 KGish? I can find a way.

bryanee

WHY IS IT SO BIG?!

Put it in a box and then wrap.

Must suck to be that guy though. Imagine trying to use a fork and knife with a T-rex head and tail for hands. The head probably eats everything before you can, anyway. :D

GuyKazama

Generation Toy's Not-Constructicons looks amazing. I would love to get him someday. Along with the pre-order incentive, "Tyrant". They are really attractive looking figures. And as far as I am aware, the biggest 3P Not-Devastator thus far.

They are amazing. Can't wait for the last two team members... But they are dwarfed by ToyWorld's Devastator.

NEO0MJ

Must suck to be that guy though. Imagine trying to use a fork and knife with a T-rex head and tail for hands. The head probably eats everything before you can, anyway. :D

It still goes to the stomach either way, though you won't get to enjoy the taste of the food yourself.

Jaeger

They are amazing. Can't wait for the last two team members... But they are dwarfed by ToyWorld's Devastator.

I think you are right. I think TW's Constructor is about 3 inches taller, but it seems to not be due to the figures/bots themselves, but the limbs being longer which is why he stands taller.

aparisi2274

WHY IS IT SO BIG?!

Why dont u just ship it to where you are going, and then when you get there wrap it.

Tizoc

I should do a quick write up about how mtmte views autotbots and decepticons

Why dont u just ship it to where you are going, and then when you get there wrap it.
Eh nah for me itd be just easier to just travel with it
It is just around 2-3 kg and i travel light so it is better that way

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I would love to see a Trailbreaker. I think his design is one of the more interesting ones in G1. An MP Inferno/Grapple could easily lead to him. Like I said here too, I also wouldn't be kind of a test bed for expensive larger figures of B-Tier characters. Stuff like Trailbreaker and the other Dinobots, or the triple changers or other figures in that vein.

I'd definitely like to see that happen. Meanwhile I think MMC Ocular Max Terraegis is my Trailbreaker and BadCube Lorry is my Hoist.

Every time I read about split hemispheres I find it creepy as fuck, so it was very nice to see the own video acknowledging it. :D Awesome channel, I've watched a couple more videos too.

I should do a quick write up about how mtmte views autotbots and decepticons

One of the things I love about the comic is how politically charged and historically aware the comic is. Decepticons can be likened to a wide variety of revolutions that started being justified and ended up mutating into something utterly nightmarish, with the most obvious ones being the French one and the Russian one. Megatron starts out as Marx in all but name and species before slowly turning into Stalin. Fascinating stuff, especially as a extremely left-leaning guy myself.

As a Spaniard myself, and having just a couple days ago hearing a bit about how ETA (our very own independentist terrorist group, not above bombing schools) started out in the 1950s as a much more justifiable rebellion against the military fascistic dictatorship of the time, I couldn't help compare them with the MTMTE Decepticons, Franco's government with the Functionists, and the current democratic government with the Autobots.

Jaeger

I am really excited about these new Beast Wars Masterpiece scale figures, both official and unofficial.

Optimus Primal and Cheetor from TakaraTomy, and an unofficial Transmetals Optimal Optimus from TransArt. I am glad they are dabbling tino Beast Wars now. It is one of my favorite series.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
How about some damn Predacons, already? I'll buy a Transmetal Megatron on the quality level of that Cheetor at a high price.

Beth Cyra

I don't check in on Transformers as much as I should but I was wondering has there been any third parties that have teased or shown a desire to do War Within Optronix/Prime?

Jaeger

I don't check in on Transformers as much as I should but I was wondering has there been any third parties that have teased or shown a desire to do War Within Optronix/Prime?

Absolutely.

How about some damn Predacons, already? I'll buy a Transmetal Megatron on the quality level of that Cheetor at a high price.

I agree. Some of the Predacons are fave. I want a new Rampage, for sure.

Jaeger

Jaeger I love you so much!

Seriously while I always want Prime recolor ed into Magnus this is the one Prime that I adore as Prime.

I'm gunna look into this beauty.

Glad I can help! Nothing is more awesome that finding out that a particular toy you wanted is not only done and done well, but already available for purchase. ;)

Firemind

It's the confusion it creates rather than the toilet humour.

At least with Dinobot there's a distinction between singular and plural. Nobody is going to refer one of the Dinobots as Dinobot.

Predacons is rather... unfortunate. Then naming one of them Rampage...

Top Bottom