• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
An MP Crosshairs would probably be the only real solution to getting close to it, and I feel like that's not particularly likely any time soon.

I really did like the RotF era toys that were surprisingly complex representations of the overcomplicated movie designs. Ironic that the worst of the films gave us the best movie toys.

Tizoc

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_War_Within_Omnibus
New war within omnibus reprinting is releasing this month

This is the most human I have seen a Transformer look yet...

13680314_1119387291430050_1744906577090450126_o.jpg
Uh we sure that's not wreckgar?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Obese robot with facial hair and cigar

Sure why not

All three of those things have been done in TF before Movie Hound. Two of the three in the G1 cartoon, even. Granted, there's never been one that did all three at once before AOE, but there's precedent for that terrible, terrible character design.

NEO0MJ

I thought they had issues with regards to using the Red Cross? Though a lot of things changed for them when they became huge.

Mike M

Nick N
I thought they had issues with regards to using the Red Cross? Though a lot of things changed for them when they became huge.
It may not translate/be altered when it gets to the screen.

I think the usual out is to put an Autobot symbol at the center or something?

Firemind

All three of those things have been done in TF before Movie Hound. Two of the three in the G1 cartoon, even. Granted, there's never been one that did all three at once before AOE, but there's precedent for that terrible, terrible character design.
I thought Alpha Trion, Wreck-Garr and Scourge were dumb designs too. Bay seems to take robot beards to the next level though.

Sharkticons aren't real Transformers.

Drayco21

Didnt he die in the first movie??

13988163_1120871694614943_3345438129347694327_o.jpg

He vanished in the the first, and was only killed in the novel. He came back in the third and died there- he was one of the soldiers under Shockwave's command who captured Bumblebee and executed Wheeljack/Que with Soundwave, before Lennox, Epps and company shot the shit out of him, but Bay probably forgot.

Holy shit this new design is so good! I mean, I loved the first movie's design, but this looks great too! "Protect" and "Serve" brass knuckles is so dumb. Almost as dumb as being covered in "To punish and enslave". I can't wait for a figure.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
lol at anyone who thinks Bay gives a shit about any kind of continuity in these movies whatsoever.

Barricade's knuckles are absurd. Can't wait to see what shitty joke that is a literal punchline to.

I am almost certain he showed up in a single shot of 2 or 3 or something...

Barricade was prominent in one of the scenes from the final act of Dark of the Moon, the Decepticon actively berating the others near Shockwave before the soldier guys starting to take them out.

Snipers taking out their eyes, then explosives on their feet, and then I guess normal guns from there.

Drayco21

The helmet horns folding in to make a dumb, ineffective looking faceplate is the kind of stupid I can get behind.

This is a step up from the walking car accident of the first two and the whole lot of nothing from AoE. DotM's Punished Megatron is probably still my favorite design.

Also, I always thought MCU Ultron's face looked like someone aping the Bayformers aesthetic.

Cheerilee

He was still Megatron the whole time, Galvatron was the name given to him by the humans. Assume he just took back his name after AoE

He pulled an "I AM GALVATRON!" when he got up and started wrecking the humans.

Which is kind of bullshit, because it's a callback to the first movie's "I am Megatron", but as someone pointed out, that was one of the few things in the first movie that made sense, because Megatron was frozen but awake and entirely aware of his surroundings, and he had a bunch of humans crawling all over him and analyzing him, referring to him by some code letters/numbers. It makes sense that as soon as he's free from the ice, the first thing he'd do is furiously assert his name.

But then in the fourth movie, humans are crawling all over him again, treating him like a science project and calling him "Galvatron", so when he finally gets up and revolts... "I am Galvatron", yeah, that makes sense (rolleyes).

But then again, the Bayformers franchise is bullshit, so it's fine. It's all fine.

Aske

Is it just me, or does it look like some of the colors are duller in the new transfer? Other than that, it looks amazing.

I think it's just you. This man is a colour scientist.

I think what you may be interpreting as dullness is a shift in contrast to bring out details. Think of the adjustment people have to make when their TV is properly calibrated after they've become used to watching it in torch mode.

The restored movie looks incredible to me. Amazing to think that the animators added in detail that would only be visible to audiences thirty years in the future. I assume they never imagined anyone would see that work, they just took pride in their craft.

I think it's just you. This man is a colour scientist.

I think what you may be interpreting as dullness is a shift in contrast to bring out details. Think of the adjustment people have to make when their TV is properly calibrated after they've become used to watching it in torch mode.

The restored movie looks incredible to me. Amazing to think that the animators added in detail that would only be visible to audiences thirty years in the future. I assume they never imagined anyone would see that work, they just took pride in their craft.
Ah, that makes sense. Also, my work monitor is pretty shitty, I'll have to watch it again when I get home.

So IDW's Revolution #0 is out for free download on their site. From the set up flash backs, they are setting the whole Hasbro combined universe together, referring to the early TF books where Megatron took control of the planet, and also the IDW rebooted GI Joe books during the Cobra Civil War.

But current TF books are way in the future from these events no? Are they setting new series back in the past now?

GuyKazama

New images are out of this guy! I was already sold on Despotron but this figure is super impressive. Can't wait to get my hands on him.

Getting them all! The DX9 one looks like he has an especially fun transformation, but this one is also amazing.

The glut of Megatrons is hinting at an official update soon, but there can never be enough gun-transforming Megatrons.

I would assume they couldn't know how much of the detail would be preserved in the original movie version. Like painting an illustration that's going to be resized and/or printed, and therefore lose detail; you still make it very detailed so that it shows the maximum amount of information available to the medium. It's still good craftsmanship, of course. They might have been disappointed back then that the original movie lost a lot of their original detail, though.

Aske

I would assume they couldn't know how much of the detail would be preserved in the original movie version. Like painting an illustration that's going to be resized and/or printed, and therefore lose detail; you still make it very detailed so that it shows the maximum amount of information available to the medium. It's still good craftsmanship, of course. They might have been disappointed back then that the original movie lost a lot of their original detail, though.

That makes sense. I hope some of them are still around to appreciate the new release. Can you imagine?

New images are out of this guy! I was already sold on Despotron but this figure is super impressive. Can't wait to get my hands on him.

I saw those images, and went straight to Chimungmung to place a pre-order. So much great word of mouth from collectors who have played with him, and I'm a sucker for a really fun transformation. DX9's looks great too, even with the back kibble.

Jaeger

I saw those images, and went straight to Chimungmung to place a pre-order. So much great word of mouth from collectors who have played with him, and I'm a sucker for a really fun transformation. DX9's looks great too, even with the back kibble.

I'm really looking forward to him. He looks so good. :)

A little fun comparison here.
G1 Takara, Masterpiece Takara, X-Transbots Apollyon, DX9 Mightron, MakeToys Despotron.

Top Bottom