• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Bonus: Pics of my Titans Returns Galvatron retool. Ship mode showcasing removal of inner leg struts preventing the legs from completely folding in when tabbed and becoming paralel. Notice also the paint apps in the upper legs and between the cockpit and "fin" to make them blend in better:
s1z9cak.jpg

OtnKH2K.jpg

in033aa.jpg

For reference here's how it is normally. This is the official mode:

TFormers%20Titans%20Return%20Galvatron%20And%20Nucleon%20Gallery%20185__scaled_600.jpg

And here it is with legs untabbed, which some prefer:
TFormers%20Titans%20Return%20Galvatron%20And%20Nucleon%20Gallery%20186__scaled_600.jpg

This mod is a relatively simple one that I would recommend anyone with this Galvatron to do.

Also, mask retool/repaint to make it blend better with the Titanmaster head (the difference in purple is obviously much less apparent in person). Notice particularly the added putty to the mask so that there are no gaps with the head:

Unmasked, showing paint apps:

Original, for reference:
TFormers%20Titans%20Return%20Galvatron%20And%20Nucleon%20Gallery%20034__scaled_600.jpg

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I don't know if any of y'all have ordered from Reprolabels before, but I messed around with my first "total conversion" sets from them the other day. Combiner Wars Wheeljack into Exhaust. The "smoking kills" text is pretty hokey, but overall I'm pretty pleased with the results.

ZLgBfF4.jpg

g6y0I9U.jpg

AvIX0Qj.jpg

While ordering from them, I also picked up their Titans Return Blaster set to add a bit of chrome to his boombox mode and for the blue tinting on his cassette door.

I also got their "just a penny more" Titans Return Laserbeak set, which changes him from a data pad into a cassette. I'm very pleased with that little conversion. So much so that I might spring for the other cassette sticker sets later on.

mrkgoo

I don't know if any of y'all have ordered from Reprolabels before, but I messed around with my first "total conversion" sets from them the other day. Combiner Wars Wheeljack into Exhaust. The "smoking kills" text is pretty hokey, but overall I'm pretty pleased with the results.

ZLgBfF4.jpg

g6y0I9U.jpg

AvIX0Qj.jpg

While ordering from them, I also picked up their Titans Return Blaster set to add a bit of chrome to his boombox mode and for the blue tinting on his cassette door.

I also got their "just a penny more" Titans Return Laserbeak set, which changes him from a data pad into a cassette. I'm very pleased with that little conversion. So much so that I might spring for the other cassette sticker sets later on.

Pretty sweet. Are they hard to apply, and are they permanent?

On this note, I recall you and Justin talking about whether such things existed with Lego - and they do. I don't know the quality of them, but I know of at least one company that makes "Brick Stix", with reusable stickers for lego bricks in various themes.

Mindwipe

No it's all same continuity now. But most of the current IDW TFverse stuff takes place many years after the events of Revolution, so for that reason alot of it is gonna be ignored in most of the books most likely.

No it doesn't. Volume 10 of MTMTE is set a few weeks before Revolution.

No it doesn't. Volume 10 of MTMTE is set a few weeks before Revolution.

They have been jumping around the timeline alot, mainly they went back to do stuff to tie into the Revolution stuff essentially, but stuff like Lost Light is gonna be set far in the future again.

Whimsical Phil

Pretty sweet. Are they hard to apply, and are they permanent?
They weren't that tough to apply, but some of the stickers are tiny. The Blaster set, for example, has stickers that go on the Titan Masters head, including faction symbols that stick into the screw hole on their chest. Which is what? Two millimeters in diameter?

XkwFRMu.jpg

They're about as permanent as any other sticker (you can get them off with some effort if you wanted to), but they're certainly not made to be removed once they're applied.

On this note, I recall you and Justin talking about whether such things existed with Lego - and they do. I don't know the quality of them, but I know of at least one company that makes "Brick Stix", with reusable stickers for lego bricks in various themes.
Cool! Thanks for the tip. Interesting that they have licensed sets.

They have been jumping around the timeline alot, mainly they went back to do stuff to tie into the Revolution stuff essentially, but stuff like Lost Light is gonna be set far in the future again.

I think you're a bit confused. Unless otherwise explicitly stated (i.e. flashbacks), all comics in the current IDW continuity take place in-universe at the same time the comic is released. It's the year 2016 in-universe right now, both for the end of MTMTE, Revolution, and the start of Lost Light. There's no "far in the future" at all.

NEO0MJ

So, how was Sins of the Wreckers?

http://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/SEP160426

AND THEY DELAYED IT TO DECEMBER?!?!?!

edit: AND WHILE WE'RE AT IT

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

So wait, it's now coming in January? That's so late.

Also, I'm so curious how the lost light will continue.

Having almost the entire crew strike a mutiny was so crazy. Aside from the ones we saw at the reveal that means that Preceptor, Thunder Clash and First Aid were also part of it.

It's so strange to see consequences for a villain changing sides. Not just from the Autobots but also the decepticon side.

Enkidu

So wait, it's now coming in January? That's so late.

Also, I'm so curious how the lost light will continue.
I think the Scavengers issue was supposed to come out in November but is now delayed until December. So unless there are more delays, we should be getting both the MTMTE Revolution issue and the first Lost Light issue in December.

Forgot to comment on those reprolabels, they look really good. CW Wheeljack is something just screaming to be painted or added stickers to or whatever, the base toy is so cheap with paint apps, it's basically all white, even the chest fake windows. I painted those plus the forearms and lower body all black and it looks like an entirely different toy.

Also love the mini-blaster. :D Those Titan Masters have a lot of detail, it only takes a bit of paint or stickers to bring it out.

Hero

Transformers itch is back after reading through the MTME/RiD comics over the weekend.

Looking at Amazon, they have the Victorion set for 60 bucks, which is an amazing price. Anybody actually have this figure/set?

mrkgoo

They weren't that tough to apply, but some of the stickers are tiny. The Blaster set, for example, has stickers that go on the Titan Masters head, including faction symbols that stick into the screw hole on their chest. Which is what? Two millimeters in diameter?

XkwFRMu.jpg

They're about as permanent as any other sticker (you can get them off with some effort if you wanted to), but they're certainly not made to be removed once they're applied.

Cool! Thanks for the tip. Interesting that they have licensed sets.

Not sure if the brick six are licensed at all. they look pretty generic to be honest, but there's probably a better company out there.

Whimsical Phil

Forgot to comment on those reprolabels, they look really good. CW Wheeljack is something just screaming to be painted or added stickers to or whatever, the base toy is so cheap with paint apps, it's basically all white, even the chest fake windows. I painted those plus the forearms and lower body all black and it looks like an entirely different toy.

Also love the mini-blaster. :D Those Titan Masters have a lot of detail, it only takes a bit of paint or stickers to bring it out.
Let's see some pics of that painted Wheeljack. Because, yeah, the original toy is severely lacking in paint apps.

Not sure if the brick six are licensed at all. they look pretty generic to be honest, but there's probably a better company out there.
Oh, they're certainly not licensed by LEGO, but I found it interesting that they seem to have a few licenses from Nickelodeon (TMNT, etc.).

Transformers itch is back after reading through the MTME/RiD comics over the weekend.

Looking at Amazon, they have the Victorion set for 60 bucks, which is an amazing price. Anybody actually have this figure/set?
I was considering picking her up when GameStop marked her down to $60 a while ago, but I'm holding off to get the Japanese Megatronia repaint. I still can't really get behind that unified mint/red color scheme.

Those US prices make me green with envy. You have to be brain damaged to not jump on Magnus on that price, he's glorious. Same with Victorion, I don't own it but at that price I wouldn't think twice. Hell, Skywarp and Thundercracker as well, the Jetfire mold is amazing.

Let's see some pics of that painted Wheeljack. Because, yeah, the original toy is severely lacking in paint apps.

Aye aye sir. Quick and dirty, I really have to set up somewhere to take pics that is not "set the figure lying of a sofa cushion". :D

Bonus: Took some pics of other figures I added some paint on. Can you see the IDW slant? :D

Notice the red camera LED on Rewind? It's... kind of small. :D

Originals:

NEO0MJ

To hell with it, I bought Magnus. Will probably remove Alternators Jazz and Movie Brawn to make room.

Speaking of Transformers to kick out, I had to remove movie Animated Lockdown to make room for Overlord. I forgot how crazy a transformation he had. Still, he has a cool design and I love how such a tall robot forms from such a tiny car. Wish he was part of Generations so he would get a cleaner look as we later got an actual movie lockdown but whatever.

I think I'm going to stop posting pics because this is the third time and I've got a total of zero comments alltogether. >_>

To hell with it, I bought Magnus. Will probably remove Alternators Jazz and Movie Brawn to make room.

Speaking of Transformers to kick out, I had to remove movie Animated Lockdown to make room for Overlord. I forgot how crazy a transformation he had. Still, he has a cool design and I love how such a tall robot forms from such a tiny car. Wish he was part of Generations so he would get a cleaner look as we later got an actual movie lockdown but whatever.

I have a funny story with Animated Lockdown. One of the pegs broke on mine, so I drilled a hole where it was, and glued a metal bar in it (as anyone probably knows, a re-glued peg or joint never stays there for long). It worked perfectly and felt so appropriate considering the character's love of mods. :)

Gratz on the Magnus, you're going to love it.

NEO0MJ

I think I'm going to stop posting pics because this is the third time and I've got a total of zero comments alltogether. >_>

Don't fret, we rarely comment on pics regardless :p

They look better overall, though I feel the black used is too glossy and stands out.

I'm actually having the Magnus shipped internationally, but it still comes out cheaper than buying domestically, if I can even find him. Helps that we don't have any customs fees, tariffs, or taxes on shipments.

Hero

Yeah it's not so much the price that was preventing me moreso the fact that I have very little display space anymore. I really need to sell stuff I don't care for anymore.

Whimsical Phil

Aye aye sir. Quick and dirty, I really have to set up somewhere to take pics that is not "set the figure lying of a sofa cushion". :D

Bonus: Took some pics of other figures I added some paint on. Can you see the IDW slant? :D

Notice the red camera LED on Rewind? It's... kind of small. :D

Originals:
Yeah, those look quite a bit better, especially Wheeljack. I've been meaning to put a little dot on my Rewind. I should bust out my red paint.

Well, gee whiz...gimmie some time to respond. Things have been a little hectic in this country the past few hours. :p

Drayco21

Windblade, she was the result of a fan poll some years ago. Supposedly really cool in the comics?

Her first four issue mini is fabulous, and she's been a lot of fun in the stuff she's been in since- really great addition to the franchise, even if both TV show versions of her so far have been kinda terrible.

Hero

Her first four issue mini is fabulous, and she's been a lot of fun in the stuff she's been in since- really great addition to the franchise, even if both TV show versions of her so far have been kinda terrible.

She's been in two TV shows? The current animated one seems terrible but that was before she joined. Didn't know there was another one right now?

Windblade, she was the result of a fan poll some years ago. Supposedly really cool in the comics?

Windblade is a really important part of the current comics, she had a four-issue miniseries, followed by a seven-issue one, then now she stars in an ongoing (Till All Are One). Part of her success is the writer-artist combo for her series, both very talented females, which shift the focus to more interesting and mature plots like diplomacy and backstabby politics. For me the main draw is that it covers the rediscovery of the lost colonies, where Transformers have evolved in different ways like gendered bots, beastformers, velocists, duobots, etc. It not only adds a lot of variety and power dynamics outside the now almost-obsolete Autobot-Decepticon, as a fan bonus it seamlessly reintroduces versions of beloved characters from other continuities (and its fair share of interesting new ones).

tl;dr her series are only behind MTMTE in greatness. Which was quite a pleasant bonus as I bought the figure way before I read the comics (maybe before they were released).

Hero

Robots in Disguise and the Machinima Combiner Wars miniseries.

Ahh, forgot about the miniseries. I heard that wasn't so great either though.

Windblade is a really important part of the current comics, she had a four-issue miniseries, followed by a seven-issue one, then now she stars in an ongoing (Till All Are One). Part of her success is the writer-artist combo for her series, both very talented females, which shift the focus to more interesting and mature plots like diplomacy and backstabby politics. For me the main draw is that it covers the rediscovery of the lost colonies, where Transformers have evolved in different ways like gendered bots, beastformers, velocists, duobots, etc. It not only adds a lot of variety and power dynamics outside the now almost-obsolete Autobot-Decepticon, as a fan bonus it seamlessly reintroduces versions of beloved characters from other continuities (and its fair share of interesting new ones).

tl;dr her series are only behind MTMTE in greatness. Which was quite a pleasant bonus as I bought the figure way before I read the comics (maybe before they were released).

That's cool, will definitely have to check it out. Binging on RiD and MTME has really renewed my love for Transformers.

Mindwipe

A lot of people hated the end of the first miniseries though.

Correctly, IMO. The book was fantastic for three and a half issues, but has the dumbest ending.

A lot of people hated the end of the first miniseries though.

Correctly, IMO. The book was fantastic for three and a half issues, but has the dumbest ending.

I had to go back and check. You mean the bit about
Chromia killing three people and WIndblade forgiving her just like that
? That was quite jarring to me too, but it turns out it's addressed
quite later on in Till All Are One
, rather than swept under the rug and forgotten like I expected.

Besides that bit the ending was quite perfect and nicely set up the other colonies' reconnections.

Well, gee whiz...gimmie some time to respond. Things have been a little hectic in this country the past few hours. :p

I know, my condolences. I didn't mean you specifically, every time I post pics I feel like the one guy talking to himself in the corner while the rest carries on with their conversations. :p

FYI for Canucks looking for Titans Return toys, Walmart.ca has deluxe figures for $3 cheaper than Toysrus.ca. Some Combiner Wars full sets are $10 cheaper as well. Doesn't appear to be a sale, they're just pricing them lower. The only deluxe Decepticon I'm missing now is Scourge, just because I don't really want him lol. Astrotrain is sold out, he's the only Voyager Class I'm looking to get at the moment, already have Galvatron.

Drayco21

Stores around me are doing sales on Transformers stuff (Walmarts and Targets marking deluxes down to $10, Meijer doing 25% off everything), so I finally decided to pick up Sentinel Prime. I have no real attachment to Astrotrain as a character, and liked Sentinel's colors and design a bit better; he's a way better figure than I expected- integrates the Titan Master concept a lot better than Galvatron too. Wolfwire is a fantastic Deluxe too, and so is Chromdome, if you can excuse just how much he feels like Dead End/Prowl/Streetwise/ect. from last year.

Titan's Return is awesome! I wish some of the Leaders appealed to me more, because I want a base for all my Titan Masters to get displayed on; but Soundwave is the only one, and he probably won't spend much time in base mode on my shelf. Hard to believe I assumed this gimmick would be lame when they first announced it.

Stores around me are doing sales on Transformers stuff (Walmarts and Targets marking deluxes down to $10, Meijer doing 25% off everything), so I finally decided to pick up Sentinel Prime. I have no real attachment to Astrotrain as a character, and liked Sentinel's colors and design a bit better; he's a way better figure than I expected- integrates the Titan Master concept a lot better than Galvatron too. Wolfwire is a fantastic Deluxe too, and so is Chromdome, if you can excuse just how much he feels like Dead End/Prowl/Streetwise/ect. from last year.

Titan's Return is awesome! I wish some of the Leaders appealed to me more, because I want a base for all my Titan Masters to get displayed on; but Soundwave is the only one, and he probably won't spend much time in base mode on my shelf. Hard to believe I assumed this gimmick would be lame when they first announced it.

Yeah I want Soundwave but at the same time Leader Class takes up too much space for me. It would complete my set of leaders having Megatron and Starscream though. Maybe if he was on sale for like $15 lol.

Hero

I might've asked this earlier in the thread but I'll try again.

I actually have been holding out for Sideswipe Masterpiece to be released in NA for a few years and it definitely doesn't seem to be happening at this point. I want to get one but the prices are fairly high since it's an import. I see that there's a Knock Off version available.

The questions I have are:

1) Is the KO Masterpiece Sideswipe decent? I have heard it actually is good but wondering if anyone here has had one.
2) Is it wrong that I feel justified in getting a KO version since Hasbro has not made the toy available in my country?

NEO0MJ

Don't know much about that KO.
I've never been comfortable about buying KOs. Even with third party figures I probably wouldn't buy it unless:
1- There's significant difference between the 3P offering and the official release.
2- It's a character that will probably never get an official release.

Funniest thing for me is when there's a KO of a 3P figure.

JLynn

I might've asked this earlier in the thread but I'll try again.

I actually have been holding out for Sideswipe Masterpiece to be released in NA for a few years and it definitely doesn't seem to be happening at this point. I want to get one but the prices are fairly high since it's an import. I see that there's a Knock Off version available.

The questions I have are:

1) Is the KO Masterpiece Sideswipe decent? I have heard it actually is good but wondering if anyone here has had one.
2) Is it wrong that I feel justified in getting a KO version since Hasbro has not made the toy available in my country?

I have two KOs of Sideswipe (Red and Gold) and I like them. Granted I had to shave down a bump in the midsection of both but otherwise both were solid. As for the justification, that's all you.

If you're a huge fan of Sideswipe, take into consideration the Tanaka MPF-12. It 1/18 scale in car mode, die cast hood and rubber wheels (Masterpiece is all plastic), and has LED headlights and guns. It is to MP-12 what the Wei Jiang MPP-10 is to the MP-10.

I have two KOs of Sideswipe (Red and Gold) and I like them. Granted I had to shave down a bump in the midsection of both but otherwise both were solid. As for the justification, that's all you.

If you're a huge fan of Sideswipe, take into consideration the Tanaka MPF-12. It 1/18 scale in car mode, die cast hood and rubber wheels (Masterpiece is all plastic), and has LED headlights and guns. It is to MP-12 what the Wei Jiang MPP-10 is to the MP-10.
Is your link supposed to be a credit card ad?

Hero

The Oversized version does look awesome and seems more in scale than the official release. Did they ever fix the hand sculpt with him not being able to hold the gun?

yami4ct

MP Megatron is up at all your normal outlets at this point, so have at him while he's hot.

HLJ's listing doesn't mention any orange cap, but they have done it in the past so who knows? I'm going AmiAmi this time around to be safe, though I suspect that any cap these retailers install will be easy to remove.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, I'd be too afraid of customs seizing my $200 toy. Might just go with BBTS for security.

yami4ct

I dunno, I'd be too afraid of customs seizing my $200 toy. Might just go with BBTS for security.

For the US? That ain't gonna happen. He's not gonna be packed in gun mode and even if they do randomly select your package for x-ray, something that there's an extremely tiny % chance of, they'll just see a robot toy.

It'll be fine. We didn't hear of any US customers getting their MP Megatron 1.0s confiscated and the only stories I heard of confiscation in general was an Australian shop getting their large order taken. Single figures basically have zero chance for seizure.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
All Megatrons sold in the US or shipped to the US will have an orange cap applied, unless you pick one up from Japan yourself and fly home with it. I wouldn't expect HLJ to be any different than the other import retailers. For the most part the caps are very loosely applied. Despotron's cap wasn't even held in by anything. A quick pull of the pliers will remove just about any orange cap I've encountered. It's a non-issue unless you're obsessed with having an unopened box, in which case you better buy that plane ticket.

Top Bottom