• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Carnifex is incredible. He has enough heft to feel quality, but light enough to where I don't think any of these joints will become loose over time. I kinda quit the transformation at the shoulders because I'm tired and they're stupidly complicated, but that isn't a knock against the figure (yet). Best Overlord we're ever gonna get I imagine. Gonna have to track down their Spartan sooner or later to go along with the Wreckers.

here's accessories pic:
CsIJPxu.jpg

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm not up on MPs. How much is that Megatron likely to run and how short will the window be to order one at MSRP?

Around $150-170 and won't be out until Spring 2017, so you have months to preorder it for MSRP. Japanese import, naturally, this will never, ever come stateside.

You know, that's one thing that always puzzled me about the Optimus vs Megatron fight, Prime never really does that much against him but the damage really does look like Megatron got his butt kicked.

True of pretty much all the deaths in the movie. Every one of those guys took way more damage at various points in the TV show and were fine after a few bolt tightenings.

yami4ct

I'm glad our little 'will MP Megatron 2.0 ever be made' argument was settled in the best way possible, Matt.

Really hope he isn't March. Really, Really hope. He probably will be given my luck, but hope he's not. Inferno to Cheator to Grapple to the Nintendo Switch is gonna be an expensive time even without adding in Megs.

That is a phenomenal looking Megatron. Visually, it blows all the third party stuff completely out of the water.

Eh it looks great from certain angles. The above view and his back look awful. His whole back looks like it's missing its covering, arms have hollow space. They did amazing new head sculpt and gun mode looks great. I'm still kinda more impressed by make toys take over all bot mode.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm glad our little 'will MP Megatron 2.0' ever be made argument was settled in the best way possible, Matt.

Really hope he isn't March. Really, Really hope. He probably will be given my luck, but hope he's not. Inferno to Cheator to Grapple to the Nintendo Switch is gonna be an expensive time even without adding in Megs.

It's just "Spring" so far, so fingers crossed for April/May for exactly those reasons.

But I think Switch is slipping to Fall anyway, so...

Enkidu

I think MP Megatron looks great. I don't think it's blowing the third part ones out of the water (aside from the head-sculpt) but I like it more than my Apollyon so it's an easy upgrade for me. I actually like the grey over silver a lot too.

Firemind

Eh it looks great from certain angles. The above view and his back look awful. His whole back looks like it's missing its covering, arms have hollow space. They did amazing new head sculpt and gun mode looks great. I'm still kinda more impressed by make toys take over all bot mode.
I think MP Megatron looks great. I don't think it's blowing the third part ones out of the water (aside from the head-sculpt) but I like it more than my Apollyon so it's an easy upgrade for me. I actually like the grey over silver a lot too.
Despotron and Apollyon have more similarities with Dreamwave/IDW's design than the cartoon. Megs in the cartoon was always sleek looking instead of bulky, especially his legs. That's what I like about Takara's designs. They care about toon accuracy more than anything. Plus, you'll be able to actually transform it.

NEO0MJ

While I generally like it, I hate that they're including bonus parts for the gun mode. Huge chunks of plastic that will rarely be used that add a lot to item cost and shipping cost X(

Edit: Also, it seems to be missing some of the red.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
While I generally like it, I hate that they're including bonus parts for the gun mode. Huge chunks of plastic that will rarely be used that add a lot to item cost and shipping cost X(

Edit: Also, it seems to be missing some of the red.

The silencer, maybe, but the stock turns into the posing stand shown in the accessories shot.

Also I see no red missing, unless you mean he should have more extending back on his torso. The cartoon Megatron has red on the sides of his torso, his elbows, and the little triangle on the cannon. It's only the toy that has red on the inside of the legs.

7GkcFH1.jpg

i6Mcjwb.jpg

NEO0MJ

Reading MTMTE I kinda wish we had a third party IDW Fortress Maximus to go along with Overlord. I know there's one around but it looks kind off and is too small. Plus they hurt it I feel by adding a face mode.

The silencer, maybe, but the stock turns into the posing stand shown in the accessories shot.

Also I see no red missing, unless you mean he should have more extending back on his torso. The cartoon Megatron has red on the sides of his torso, his elbows, and the little triangle on the cannon. It's only the toy that has red on the inside of the legs.

I see. Didn't notice that the stock doubles as a stand or that his original cartoon form didn't have red in his inner leg.

Still, I feel he looks nicer with the red. And the area around his elbow is also missing some red.

Aske

These things will always be subjective, but if the goal is to be as cartoon accurate as possible, Takara's design nails the legs in a way none of the competition does; plus the headsculpt, the overall silhouette, and the colour.

I'm a third party fan. I imagine Despotron will feel like a higher quality toy, and he certainly has a cleaner back. But he's a much more powerful Megatron with his chunkier legs. He might be the better choice for some (as might DX9's version), but in terms of looks, Takara's is clearly going to feel more like holding the cartoon in your hands.

I imagine when Fanstoys gets around to a Megatron, they'll give this Takara design a run for its money; especially if once we get the toy in hand we find it has mechanical issues or obvious cut corners. Until then though, this looks like the best Megatron on the market, and makes me excited for Takara's inevitable Galvatron in a way I didn't think I would be after recent Takara MP releases.

I was going to skip Bruticus since TRU seemed to have Combiner Wars exclusively in Sweden, and I've already mentioned their RIDICULOUS pricing (3-4 times US prices). But today I found the entire team (thanks for having them in a single wave) at another store, at normal Swedish markup (2 times US prices). So I felt like I had to get them. I wasn't interested enough to import, but getting the entire team locally, sure.

Onslaught is glorious, and it's nice to see that you can put the guns on his back. Shame there's no big gun, but I'll manage. Swindle and Vortex are also great. Brawl... is rather floppy and too brown, but I like the design and I didn't have the mold before. Same goes for Blast Off as I have no Aerialbots. So overall, a pretty nice find.

Add another to the list that is currently reading through MTMTE. I'm on #13 and have to say that I thoroughly love Tailgate and Whirl. They're both fantastic for entirely different reasons.

So I have to wait until Tuesday to finish up MTMTE as vol. 10 isn't released digitally until then. Pretty hyped since I know my fave 'Con finally comes back.

Just saw the Titans Return Blaster in store and I absolutely love it! It'll be nice to have an actual cassette player figure after the Fall of Cybertron one.

Is there a list anywhere of all the new cassettes (or "spy tabletes") for him and Soundwave?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
That upper torso really is a bit of a trainwreck. But it wouldn't be a Megatron figure without at least one glaring "...but why?" flaw, I suppose.

Also they should have waited a bit and had him be MP-38.

yami4ct

That upper torso really is a bit of a trainwreck. But it wouldn't be a Megatron figure without at least one glaring "...but why?" flaw, I suppose.

Also they should have waited a bit and had him be MP-38.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a train wreck. It looks bad from the top down, but I don't think the front and back are bad at all. As for the high waist proportions, he does have that going on, but so does the animation model. His G1 self always has had a small torso and really long legs. I suspect that's partially due to the toy transformation, but who knows.

It looks like a lot of the torso problems, particularly with the from the top view, came from the fact they chose to stuff all the extra gun kibble in there instead of the legs. I suppose that's to give it the G1 proportioned legs instead of the extremely thick ones most third parties have. That's a tradeoff I'm OK making, but I can see why it bugs some people.

I also wish it was MP-38 as that'd mean more time to save. Stuff some repaints I wouldn't want to buy in there like Artfire, takara. Please. Haha

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I think it looks bad in that low angle shot in the scan with the cannon pointed out, too. The chest is just sort of hanging there without connecting to the core of the torso. Hopefully that's just early test shot issues and the final product will tab together solidly. He looks good from the front, he's just got Ironhide/Ratchet syndrome if you angle up or down on him at all. I think you're right about the gun kibble; it looks like that whole torso area almost turns inside out for gun mode.

Whatever, he's way better than the last one and I like the design better than any of the third party versions except maybe Despotron, but Despotron is going for a very different look so I think he'll stay in the collection. Apollyon is going to have to go, though.

yami4ct

Oh, hey. Does anyone know what that fusion cannon head thing is a reference to? I have to assume it happened sometime for them to put it on the figure, but I don't remember anything like that.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
That's a new one on me unless it's a whimsical reference to movie Lockdown. I can't remember any gunface moments for Megatron.

NEO0MJ

Whatever, he's way better than the last one and I like the design better than any of the third party versions except maybe Despotron, but Despotron is going for a very different look so I think he'll stay in the collection. Apollyon is going to have to go, though.

Despotron looks great overall but I'm not a big fan of the dark silver color scheme and the face is kinda off.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Despotron looks great overall but I'm not a big fan of the dark silver color scheme and the face is kinda off.

The face is right on for a Dreamwave/Early IDW Megs, which is what they're going for there more than G1 cartoon Megs like Mightron and Takara. I'm keeping Despotron just because I like that bulky design, but he won't be going on the MP shelf.

NEO0MJ

The face is right on for a Dreamwave/Early IDW Megs, which is what they're going for there more than G1 cartoon Megs like Mightron and Takara. I'm keeping Despotron just because I like that bulky design, but he won't be going on the MP shelf.

After trying to remember I feel he's more early midpoint IDW. All Hail Megatron period if I'm not mistaken. Probably why it feels so off :p

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
After trying to remember I feel he's more early midpoint IDW. All Hail Megatron period if I'm not mistaken. Probably why it feels so off :p

All Hail Megatron is early IDW. AHM was year 3 of IDW's currently 11 year Transformers run. Anything pre-ongoing is early IDW in my mind.

Kind of amazing to think that the IDW TF run is the longest continuous run of TF fiction ever published. Even the Marvel US run only lasted 7 years.

NEO0MJ

All Hail Megatron is early IDW. AHM was year 3 of IDW's currently 11 year Transformers run. Anything pre-ongoing is early IDW in my mind.

Kind of amazing to think that the IDW TF run is the longest continuous run of TF fiction ever published. Even the Marvel US run only lasted 7 years.

Wow, has it really been so long?! Time sure flew by.

NEO0MJ

Got my Nero Rex today and holy crap is he colossal. Not only is he tall but also bulky as hell. Gonna take pics during the weekend.

Also, any tips on handling it? Those black pads you're meant to put under the feet don't hold well.

Edit: Man I cannot fit the fists inside the feet again at all. Or attack them to their animal form.

yami4ct

With the advent of MP 2.0, we get to play the 'what are retailers gonna do to make this figure 'legal' for US importers' game again. What did the major ones do when the gold MP Megatron was released? That's probably the most recent example, so it's the best thing to go on. I know some glued in their plugs, while others did not. I feel like I remember some people complaining that one of the retailers physically painted the barrels, but maybe that was for the first release and not the gold one.

Maybe the painting your thinking of is when TFSource painted their Exhausts?

I dont recall anyone every painting Megs.

Edit: Although BBTS I believe did open Megs and put an orange cap on him.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Choose your weapon.

GxzRB6Vl.jpg

I dig my Despotron but I have to give the win to Takara overall, especially in the "looks good next to MP-10" competition.

Yup given that comparison pick I'm totally holding off for Takara. Although I like how few lines there are on DX9s.

Really glad I saw this announcement before TFCon lol

NEO0MJ

To be frank none of them feel perfect for me. Like, each one has a flaw, some more than one.
Seeing them next to Prime highlights how perfect he seems instead.

Mike M

Nick N
Crazy how the same basic design can yield such a variety of takes on it.

Equally crazy how terrible they make the original look, jesus christ.

NEO0MJ

Hey Haloid, any tips on handling MMC Carnifex? I think I read somewhere that the manual doesn't do a good job of explaining the transformation.

Hey Haloid, any tips on handling MMC Carnifex? I think I read somewhere that the manual doesn't do a good job of explaining the transformation.

Watch this review.

https://youtu.be/nSnOnQXGhG8

He got me through the really difficult shoulder transformation with ease, even though it wasn't in English. Best video I've found as everyone else struggled to clearly show how in the world you fold all those shoulder joints together and make it work.

Top Bottom