• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

I don't like that jetfire at all. It's just a fastpack with wings glued to a block. The wings should come out of the main body, not the fastpack.

Omega is gold, of course. Do we know how much it costs?

I don't like that jetfire at all. It's just a fastpack with wings glued to a block. The wings should come out of the main body, not the fastpack.
I think you might be misremembering.

skyfire4.jpg

I think you might be misremembering.

skyfire4.jpg

Eesh. Yeah, I didn't remember that. I was referring to the G1 toy (and every subsequent toy), which is obviously just a VF-1.

54000.jpg

But I can understand now that the Fanstoys indeed represents the cartoon version, which I respect.

But remember, it's Michael Bay that ruined Transformers. :)

Mother of god are you persistent, and it's so sad how you don't ever contribute anything else to the thread... :p

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Omega is gold, of course. Do we know how much it costs?

He comes in two parts, total of about $500.

And as has already been noted, that's Skyfire, not Jetfire.

But remember, it's Michael Bay that ruined Transformers. :)

Nothing really "ruins" Transformers, the Bay movies are just utter dogshit. The franchise survived Beast Machines and the Unicron Trilogy, it'll survive Michael Bay.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm waiting for more news on FansToys Hot Rod.

Then today's your day. He's 5mm taller than the Takara Hot Rod and will come with a Targetmaster partner. I think the FT version looks better than Takara's, really. It all just fits together better. Bonus Mindwipe reveal behind him.

VaJEwwg.jpg

Aske

Then today's your day. He's 5mm taller than the Takara Hot Rod and will come with a Targetmaster partner. I think the FT version looks better than Takara's, really. It all just fits together better. Bonus Mindwipe reveal behind him.

VaJEwwg.jpg

Oh hell yeah! He looks fantastic. Guess he'll appear about this time next year. FT have fixed all the problems I had with MP-28, and I don't mind the compromises made to the alt mode at all. Can't wait to get this this guy in hand and have him battle against Sovereign.

He comes in two parts, total of about $500.

Oh? That's less than I expected. Way outside my budget, of course, but still, pretty good for a third party that large.

And as has already been noted, that's Skyfire, not Jetfire.

Actually, the Marvel Comics called it Jetfire and it was still depicted the same as the animation (including the wings coming out of the backpack):

transformers-11-121204.jpg

Which means I was indeed misremembering it. I still think the backpack in the Fanstoys version is a bit too bulky and less integrated into the main body than I would like, but it is indeed much more accurate than I thought.

Mike M

Nick N
Is there a difference between Skyfire and Jetfire, canonically speaking?
I don't think so. TF classics/generations reimaginings have all been based on the G1 comic/cartoon depiction of Skyfire with Jetfire's name, as far as I'm aware. It's only supposed to be the one character.

Not any more or less than between versions of the same character in comics and cartoon, which is to say, quite a lot. For example (and from memory, so I could be wrong), in the cartoon the Dinobots were created by Wheeljack in modern times after being inspired by a dinosaur exhibit, while in the comic they were created back in the age of dinosaurs by the Ark, and lay dormant until today. Jet/Skyfire is the exact opposite; in the cartoons he was an old friend of Starscream that crashed on Earth and lay dormant in ice millions of years ago (before the war, even), while in the comics he was created by the Decepticons in contemporary times and telekinetically disassembled / turned to Autobot by Buster (long story). Interestingly, this makes Jet/Skyfire a Decepticon turned Autobot in both continuities (for completely different reasons), decades before Drift made it popular.

Hero

I don't think so. TF classics/generations reimaginings have all been based on the G1 comic/cartoon depiction of Skyfire with Jetfire's name, as far as I'm aware. It's only supposed to be the one character.

Yeah, I think the original toy is still, but I love Robotech/Macross too so there's some bias!

Not any more or less than between versions of the same character in comics and cartoon, which is to say, quite a lot. For example (and from memory, so I could be wrong), in the cartoon the Dinobots were created by Wheeljack in modern times after being inspired by a dinosaur exhibit, while in the comic they were created back in the age of dinosaurs by the Ark, and lay dormant until today. Jet/Skyfire is the exact opposite; in the cartoons he was an old friend of Starscream that crashed on Earth and lay dormant in ice millions of years ago (before the war, even), while in the comics he was created by the Decepticons in contemporary times and telekinetically disassembled / turned to Autobot by Buster (long story). Interestingly, this makes Jet/Skyfire a Decepticon turned Autobot in both continuities (for completely different reasons), decades before Drift made it popular.

Yeah, it's really funny, I think Drift is cool but when I got back into TF for a while I couldn't understand why people thought it was original. Fire in the Sky is still one of my favorite episodes of G1 for the moment when he switched from Decepticon to Autobot and then his sacrifice at the end.

Savitar

Crazy thing is pretty sure he was actually portrayed as the Autobot leader in Europe for a brief period because he came out before Optimus did. And there was a comic or two with him in his toy version.

Cheerilee

As I understand it, Hasbro picked up the toy rights to the Macross Valkyrie, so they called him "Jetfire", painted him white and red, said he was an Autobot, and sold him in America.

Then when they were making his cartoon/comic book tie-in, they discovered that they didn't have any animation rights to the character (because the Macross anime was a thing). So they decided to significantly redesign him.

Someone at Hasbro then said that if Jetfire was going to be so significantly redesigned, kids wouldn't make the connection, so they should change his name to "Skyfire" and worry later about making a toy for Skyfire and finding a way to include Jetfire in the cartoon. Skyfire's name wasn't an accident or an animation error.

The comic books got the memo on the redesign, but they didn't get the memo on the name change.

Since the plans to grow Jetfire/Skyfire into two seperate characters never grew to fruition, he remains one character, who sometimes looks different due to licensing issues, and at some other times he's referred to by another name.

Amusingly, since Hasbro lost the toy rights to the Macross Valkyrie and they're never getting them back, the redesign turned out to be a blessing and the character can still have toys made of him, and since he has toys "Skyfire" has actually fulfilled the conditions for becoming his own character, independent from Jetfire, but his name has become commonly accepted as Jetfire, with Skyfire being his less often used alias.

Although it should be mentioned, in the cartoon Skyfire was a fish out of water with no knowledge of the Autobot/Decepticon conflict. He trusted the word of his old friend who had to actively lie to him about both the Autobots and the Decepticons (and get others to play along) in order to make him chose Decepticon. When Skyfire realized the truth he rejected the Decepticons and joined the Autobots.

In the comics, Jetfire was a mindless drone, programmed to obey Shockwave, until his control was wrestled away by Buster (still just a puppet). Solidly under Autobot control, Optimus Prime gave him a personality, and Jetfire chose Autobot, but previously Shockwave seemed confident that if he had been able to give Jetfire a personality, Jetfire would have been a Decepticon (which kind of casts a shadow on Jetfire's "choice" to become an Autobot after Optimus gave him a personality that was likely to make that choice).

In both of these continuities he was Decepticon in name only, and his choice to become Autobot was crystal clear.

In both of these continuities he was Decepticon in name only, and his choice to become Autobot was crystal clear.

Indeed, which is not at all surprising considering the binary Autobot = Good, Decepticon = Evil split of the time as befitting fiction aimed to kids. It would not do to introduce doubt by blurring the lines. :)

I just got Inferno and... Primus, he's glorious. Such a perfectly sized, chunky yet solid and very posable figure. And the way the ladder hides away is both genius and stupidly simple.

1oPYBPM.jpg

I'm not even a huge fan of Inferno (I'm getting Grapple later on), but this is just a supreme Masterpiece figure that any Transformers fan must consider.

Hero

Never a big fan of Inferno but that Masterpiece does look pretty awesome.

Think we'll ever get Masterpiece Combiners? Would love a MP Hotspot.

Never a big fan of Inferno but that Masterpiece does look pretty awesome.

Think we'll ever get Masterpiece Combiners? Would love a MP Hotspot.

I think Takara has gone on record as stating they wouldn't be doing them? I could be wrong tho. But there where also rumors that they are doing an MP Bruticus, so who knows.

Honestly, I would love a Bruticus and Defensor MP from Takara.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
So reading through Transformers IDW from I got from 2015's Humble Bundle and I'm a little lost.

One issue we have this flashback of Megatron and First Aid, Bluestreak, Trailcutter and some other dude run into the Deception Justice Division and they peace out and the next issue starts out with Minimums and Rewind 2.0 talking to each other. Did I miss the issue where they run into the other Lost Light? If so what series/issue/special was it?

The stuff with
the other Lost Light
is in Volume 6. I checked and it was definitely in the Humble Bundle. It's the one with
Megatron
on the cover.

Guys, please spoiler tag your posts.

From your description you seem to have messed up your reading order royally. Your best bet would be to check out the TFWiki page and go issue by issue to see which ones you've missed (there are navigation links for each issue to the next at the top right of each).
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Transformers:_More_than_Meets_the_Eye
You can find what issues are contained in each volume here:
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Transformers:_More_than_Meets_the_Eye#Collections

Scavenger

Super Ginrai is such an amazing toy and his feet really don't look all that bad in person. I ended up with two because my first Ginrai was broken in such a way it can't completely transform into botmode. It's not that hard to fix, so the broken Ginrai will be used for display with Godbomber.

Tizoc

As of this post activision's transformers games are not delisted from online services
Could this be because they have a new game in the works? They delisted their spiderman and tmnt games yet tf games are still up.

Drayco21

As of this post activision's transformers games are not delisted from online services
Could this be because they have a new game in the works? They delisted their spiderman and tmnt games yet tf games are still up.

Man, I hope so- I was pretty convinced they were going to drop them. Hopefully that Devastation sequel is coming after all.

I'd kill for another High Moon game following up Fall of Cybertron, but that's even less likely.

VaJEwwg.jpg

Jesus christ this shits all over my Takara Hot Rodimus. I want this so bad..

Images of Titans Return Krok and Quake, confirming they are redecos of Skullcruncher and Hardhead with new heads:

1483714432-tr-krok.jpg

1483710162-titans-return-krok-and-quake.jpg

I wonder if anyone knew who Krok was before MTMTE... I for one didn't. It's kind of ironic he's not only been given an alt mode, but made a redeco of his old pal and currently successful stand-up monologist.
Krok_crankcase_fulcrum_some_of_my_best_friends_are_autobots.jpg

Images of Titans Return Krok and Quake, confirming they are redecos of Skullcruncher and Hardhead with new heads:

1483714432-tr-krok.jpg

I wonder if anyone knew who Krok was before MTMTE... I for one didn't. It's kind of ironic he's not only been given an alt mode, but made a redeco of his old pal and currently successful stand-up monologist.

Krok was the advisor to Bludgeon in the very last few issues of the G1 comic. But yeah, not a major character.

Mike M

Nick N
Not only do I know who Krok is, I actually had his toy as a kid.

It reminds me that I also had Treadshot, who I see got a new toy in 2014 as a repainted Warpath. Huh.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

1483714432-tr-krok.jpg

Topspin also appears to be a retool of Triggerhappy. I'd bet on him being further retooled into Misfire later.

I knew who Krok was, because I got a slew of red tagged Action Masters back when G1 was winding down and he was one of them.

Drayco21

I was really excited when Krok was first leaked, but he's just not IDW enough for my tastes. Maybe it's just the adherence to his G1 toys bright ass colors, and maybe better photos will change my mind- a Skullcruncher with better tolerances would be pretty sick, even if I'd probably have to do some painting to get him looking more like my preference.

NEO0MJ

Just discovered that MMC's Not-IDW Megatron is up for preorder at the price of $120.

While I generally like it, I wish they stuck closer to the comic design. Not a fan of that cannon, either, but I guess by the time he actually got his fusion cannon in MTMTE it was too late to change what they did.

mrkgoo

Topspin also appears to be a retool of Triggerhappy. I'd bet on him being further retooled into Misfire later.

I knew who Krok was, because I got a slew of red tagged Action Masters back when G1 was winding down and he was one of them.

I just watched a video review of topspin....I gotta get me this toy. I just got Trigger-happy, and I love it so much, but I don't think it would be classed as a retool? I dunno what the criteria, are but while the transformation for topsoil is vaguely similar, it seems more different than the same.

but I had topspin G1 back in the day, and I'd love to get this one when it comes out.

Tizoc

Just discovered that MMC's Not-IDW Megatron is up for preorder at the price of $120.

While I generally like it, I wish they stuck closer to the comic design. Not a fan of that cannon, either, but I guess by the time he actually got his fusion cannon in MTMTE it was too late to change what they did.
That is an awesome looking megatron

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah, that's the AoE Leader, which is a terrible toy, but that is a top notch paint job by Hasbro standards.

Probably not on board for an MP Bee but I wouldn't mind MPs of some of the other early movie designs.

I finally went ahead and ordered a bunch of figures from BBTS: Swerve, Whirl, Arcee and Chromedome for pretty obvious reasons. Tailgate was gone though, unfortunately. Also got Windblade, even though I haven't gotten to her story yet, but I will kick myself if she's great and I didn't get her on clerance.

Passing on Sixshot for now, he never was that awesome to me. Will I regret not getting Brainstorm? So far he's just kind of your average crazy scientist. The new Getaway isn't out yet, right?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
RotF Optimus is still my favorite toy of the Bayformers line.

RotF Optimus is probably one of the top TF toys of all time, regardless of one's opinion of the movies. A masterwork of design, that one. RotF's line had a ton of high quality toys in it but Leader Optimus was something special.

I finally went ahead and ordered a bunch of figures from BBTS: Swerve, Whirl, Arcee and Chromedome for pretty obvious reasons.

Great choices. I have and love all of these toys, although Whirl is an acquired taste and I modded/painted him a bit. In particular, Arcee is a dream come true for any G1 TF fan. Also, if you don't have Rewind, you are now contractually obligated to get him.

Tailgate was gone though, unfortunately.

I got Tailgate from Amazon not long ago, they still have it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4FNWSO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also got Windblade, even though I haven't gotten to her story yet, but I will kick myself if she's great and I didn't get her on clerance.

Not only that, it's a really beautiful toy and the sword is kickass. But yeah, she becomes a major player later on, one of the most important characters in the entire IDW universe alongside Optimus and Megatron. Her toy is another that benefits from a little paint.

Passing on Sixshot for now, he never was that awesome to me.

I passed on Sixshot too, I have the original G1 and this didn't seem like a radical improvement, nor is he a character I feel a particular compusion to buy a Leader of. I admit his Titan Master implementation is one of the better ones out of the Titan Return's Leaders' (which isn't a particularly high bar to set, but still).

Will I regret not getting Brainstorm? So far he's just kind of your average crazy scientist.

Brainstorm does get a lot of development and focus in a later arc that happens to be one of my favorites, and I do think you might regret it. That said, I admit I loved him from second one, for reasons best exemplified in this later exchange:

Rewind: Nothing tingles like a teleport. How come we don't teleport everywhere, Brainstorm?
Brainstorm: 'Cos it's bad for you.
Rewind: Whereas all those weapons you build—
Brainstorm: —Are bad for other people.

I happen to own the pretty amazing Generations Voyager Brainstorm, so I'm almost certainly skipping his Titans Return incarnation. If you already have Chromedome and don't have that Voyager (nor any means/intent to get it), I would get his Titans Return incarnation simply to own all original headmasters. Er, you do own Hardhead, right? It's the best Titans Return toy altogether...

The new Getaway isn't out yet, right?

I believe it should be out in the US right about now or nearly, but I wouldn't really recommend you to get him; he's not as crucial a character as the others, and the toy is a straight repaint of Chromedome with a different head.

Hero

Great choices. I have and love all of these toys, although Whirl is an acquired taste and I modded/painted him a bit. In particular, Arcee is a dream come true for any G1 TF fan. Also, if you don't have Rewind, you are now contractually obligated to get him.

I want to buy Rewind but I find that the legends class toys never go on sale and it feels bad paying that much for them. =/

Hero

I would kill to be able to get Legends at US prices. I was happy to pay 15€ for him at a local import store; US people can get it for 8$ and free shipping (or 15$ with Wheelie, another great toy I also paid 15€ for).

Ah, sorry sorry, I forgot you're not in the US. US problems. ><

I didn't look too much online. It was mostly because through the holiday season Deluxes were 10 bucks at Target while Legends were 15.

Drayco21

Passing on Sixshot for now, he never was that awesome to me. Will I regret not getting Brainstorm? So far he's just kind of your average crazy scientist. The new Getaway isn't out yet, right?

The old Voyager or the current? The Voyager is cool, but he's also kinda incompatible with the rest of the cast- both in that his headmaster gimmick doesn't work with the TR titan masters, and in that he's just too tall to really feel "right" in a Lost Light line-up. Brainstorm towering over Chromie feels weird, or at least, it does to me. YMMV of course.

The Titans Return Brainstorm, on the other hand, is a pretty fantastic figure- I finally tracked one down this week, and his colors really pop, his sculpt is really nice, and he feels significantly more solid than the first wave deluxes did. Highly recommend him.

Tizoc

Brainstorm is the bes crazy scientist i e ever read in a comic book in a long time
He is the right mix of kooky and genius that u dont always see
Think about how many scientists can turn a teleportation booth into a fusion cAnon then reengineer saif canon back not into a teleportation BOOTH but a teleporstion DEN
Takes a real genius to make that

mrkgoo

Wave 3 Titans Return deluxes are becoming a little bit more prevalent here. Not feeling them outside of trigger-happy though. Lots of praise for Hot Rod, but it looks a bit cheap to me.

Top Bottom