• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers War for Cybertron |OT|

Sadist

121683n.jpg

Millions of years ago somewhere in the far reaches of space, there was a planet called Cybertron full off technological wonder. Its inhabitants are mechanical beings capable of thinking for themselves and feeling emotions. These inhabitants refer to themselves as “Transformers”. To us humans Transformers are robots who can transform into other forms like vehicles, electronic items or even weapons. But back in the good old days, the Transformers were a very peaceful race. They were mostly scientists, working on new ways to improve themselves. Cybertron flourished for millions of years and everyone was happy. Well as you can guess, not everyone was happy about it. At a certain point, a Transformer who calls himself Megatron assembled an army to take over the planet for his own selfish ambitions. Megatron believes that the main faction of Cybertron, called the Autobots aren’t as fair as they claim to be. In secret he started with assembling an army, which could overthrow the Autobot oppressor. The name of this faction? The Decepticons. With Megatron as their leader, the Decepticons started a civil war on Cybertron to claim the planet as their own. At first the Autobots were baffled by the might this new faction displayed and suffered countless losses. They were up against machines of war and they needed weapons of their own. After studying their enemies, the Autobots equipped themselves with weapons of their own. So began the Great War… and for the first time ever, we can experience that war on Cybertron!

Basic Info:

Transformers: War for Cybertron

Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PC, Wii and Nintendo DS
Developers: High Moon Studios, Next Level Games, (Wii version) Vicarious Visions (DS versions)
Publisher: Activision
Genre: Third Person Shooter
Release::
usa.gif
06-22-10 and
europa.gif
06-25-10

WHAT’S THE SETTING AND PLOT FOR THIS GAME?

Before we humans came in contact with the Transformers, they were already fighting their war on their home planet of Cybertron. They fought for millions of years and this game will show us how High Moon Studios envisions Cybertron. For people who think this game has anything to do with a certain man called Michael Bay, think again: the game is mostly based on the original The Transformers TV series which fans refer to as “G1”. It seems that High Moon Studios also looked at The War Within comics published by Dreamwave for inspiration. Fans can rest assured, this might be the game that every Transformer fan wants to play. Or non-TF fans as well.

The game is about a certain point in the war, where the Decepticons discover a energy source called Dark Energon. Energon is the type of energy which Transformers need to stay functional and using Dark Energon could be a huge advantage for the Decepticon forces. To reach their goal Megatron succeeds in killing Zeta Prime, the Autobot leader. While the Decepticons keep attacking the Autobots, the Autobots are in dire need of a new leader. Until a new leader is chosen, a bot called Optimus temporarily becomes the new leader of the Autobot forces. As inexperienced as he is, Optimus needs to lead his fellow Autobots into battle against Megatron and his ruthless Decepticons. Players can transform at any time and need to shoot their way through enemy troops from a third person perspective. Also, every Transformer belongs to a certain class:

- Scout
These stealth warriors can be used to outrun the enemy and for fast combat.

Abilities include Cloak, Dash, Decoy Trap and Mark Target

- Scientist
As engineers, they rely on their flight alt modes to fight on the battlefield.

Abilities include Shockwave, Spawn Sentry, Drain and Disguise.

- Soldier
These guys don’t care for tactics, they just want to bust some metal.

Abilities include Hover, Whirlwind, Homing Beacon and Energon Sling.

- Leader
Leading their armies into battle, the leader has a very big role on the battlefield.

Abilities include Warcry, Moleculon Bomb, Shield Barrier and Transform disruptor.

GAME MODES

* Campaign mode:

This mode for War for Cybertron features an Autobot and Decepticon story campaign, both telling a story from their perspectives. Choose your favourite character and start kicking some giant robot ass. There is a drop in/drop out online co-op mode available for three players right from the start.

* Customize mode:

Here you can create your own Transformer. Autobot or Decepticon, Soldier or Scout, a lot is possible for the player to create. You also can choose certain chassis per class, which weapons are equipped and more.

* Multiplayer:

Includes modes like Deatmatch, Team Deathmatch, Power Struggle, Code of Power, Countdown to Extinction and Conquest.

ARE THEIR ANY DIFFERENCES REGARDING THE WII/DS VERSIONS?

As a matter of fact, yes there are. First up, the Wii version is called Transformers Cybertron Adventures and is developed by Next Level Games. According to the first impressions, the game is a railshooter, with levels designed specificly for Wii. The Wii version also includes a Decepticon and Autobot campaign, with a two player co-op mode. The DS game has two versions, an Autobot and Decepticon version. Both have a different campaign and are actually based on the 360/PS3/PC versions. The DS has 30 characters to unlock, 11 of them are exclusive to the DS versions of War for Cybertron.

First Mission from the Wii version

I’M GAME, GIVE ME SOME MEDIA!

Screenshots

More screens right here

transformers-war-for-cybertron-20100505073751657_640w.jpg

transformers-war-for-cybertron-20100225005256866_640w.jpg

transformers-war-for-cybertron-20100505073745501_640w.jpg

transformers-war-for-cybertron-20100505073757111_640w.jpg

Trailers

Debut Trailer
Frst Trailer
Muliplayer classes trailer
Multiplayer Overview
E3 2010 Trailer

Reviews

- GamesMaster: 83%
- Clanz: 4 out of 5
- Wired: 7/10
- Kotaku Very positive review
- Destructoid - 8 out of 10
- IGN: 90 out of 100
- 1UP: B+
- Gamepro: 4 out of 5
- Gamesradar: 8 out of 10
Gamespot: 6.5 out of 10
Giant Bomb: 3 out of 5

SPECIAL PRE-ORDER OFFERS
- Pre-order at Gamestop and you will receive Shockwave as DLC
- Pre-order at Amazon and you will receive Demolisher as DLC
- Pre-order at Best Buy and you will receive Jazz as DLC
- Pre-Order at Toys 'R Us and you will receive Silverbolt as a unlockable for the DS version

* Only usable in the multiplayer mode of WFC

BOXARTS

2chuteo.png
2qrzuqf.png
103y5bt.png
2hecx3t.png
505d0p.png
5esk2c.png

OTHER USEFULL LINKS

Official Site
GAF’s 360 multiplayer demo thread

NOW IS THE TIME:

GAF, transform and roll out! Remember, you got the touch!

To appreciate this game even more, buy the 1986 movie soundtrack

Shockwave approves this suggestion!

WAR FOR GAFFERTRON

WFC GAF on 360
- Foxix Teletraan GAF

WFC GAF on PS3

WFC GAF on PC

Sadist

Which characters are playable from the start in the Decepticon and Autobot campaign?

The Evil Decepticons

29bfq78.jpg

2e512s2.jpg

Megatron

Class: Leader

The ruthless leader of the Decepticon Army. He wasn’t happy with the situation on Cybertron, so he created the Decepticons in order to pursue his selfish desire: to conquer Cybertron. Megatron is very cunning, intelligent and powerful. His main weapon is the dreaded Fusion Canon which can decimate a whole city block. He also wields an energon mace.

2n1auso.jpg

Starscream

Class: Scientist

As a fan favourite, Starscream has a big role in WFC. The game will explain why Megatron wants the backstabbing and overly ambitious Decepticon as his second in command. As for the rest, we all know about Starscream: he is a highly skilled fighter and the leader of the infamous Seekers, the Decepticon air fleet. His special weapon is his null ray.

35hh6kw.jpg

Soundwave

Class: Soldier

As Megatrons most loyal soldier, Soundwave only answers to him and no one else. He is the Decepticons communications expert and is an excellent spy. Not only to spy on the enemy, but also on other Decepticons. The mission of Megatron is everything. Operation: destruction. He transforms into a Cybertronian car.

25g80fo.jpg

Thundercracker

One of the top seekers on Starscream’s team, Thundercracker is quite excellent at his job: seeking the target and destroying them. He is very confident about his abilities and strong to boot. Any Autobot facing him is in big trouble. His special weapon is a Neutron Repeater.

1zz3whi.jpg

Skywarp

Like Starscream and Thundercracker, Skywarp is very dangerous. He might not be the smartest of the seekers, but when pushed into the right direction he will destroy everything. His power to cloak himself makes him a worthy adversary. His special weapon is a thermo rocket launcher.

ru5utt.jpg

Brawl

Brawl is a soldier with a one track mind: everything that wears the Autobot insignia is dead. With all the raw power he possesses this Decepticon is a true war machine. He is not a very tactical bot, but he doesn’t care: as long he can take down several Autobots, he’s happy. He also carries a Neuron Repeater.

4j9i61.jpg

Barricade

Class: Scout

Barricade is a very logical bot outside of war, but when the battle starts he becomes very passionate. As a scout he is very fast and that makes him a valuable asset to Megatron. He also loves to torment Autobots. His special weapon is a Neutron Repeater.

8vypsi_th.jpg

Breakdown

A very energetic soldier, but he has one big flaw: he is paranoid as slagg. Not a very handy trait for a scout, but he manages to hold his own on the battlefield. His special weapon is a EMP shotgun.

The Heroic Autobots

k54t2s_th.jpg

30k9hly_th.jpg

Optimus

Class: Leader

After the death of Zeta Prime, Optimus was chosen to be the temporary leader of the Autobots. He feels that the responsibility is quite heavy, but he needs to fight to save his brothers in arms. His fellow Autobots look up to him and even Megatron admits that Optimus deserves the respect he receives. Optimus wields a double energon axe and carries an Ion blaster. For the fans: he is voiced by Peter Cullen, the one and only true Optimus.

2movz93_th.jpg

Bumblebee

This little guy looks like a pushover, but he’s one of the most heroic Autobots you will ever see. Because of his small size he is the best spy on the Autobot team, but he always want to be like the other more bulky Autobots. In reality, they all admire Bumblebee for his skill and dedication. Also carries an Ion blaster.

vhdnat_th.jpg

Ironhide

Ironhide is one grumpy sack of bolts. Who wouldn’t be if you’re the oldest Autobot on the team? Still, Ironhide might be gruff but he’s one tough bot. He isn’t the fastest anymore, but his strength and experience make him as valuable as any other Autobot. He is also Optimus’s most trusted advisor. Shoots ‘cons down with a EMP shotgun.

1g17rs_th.jpg

Ratchet

Ratchet isn’t much of a fighter, but hey what do you expect from the Chief Medical Officer of the Autobots? He still makes him self useful to aid his friends in battle and always has a rational explanation ready for discussion. And of course, some small talk while he repairs his friends. Uses a Neutron Repeater.

avpp1j_th.jpg

Jetfire

Jetfire is the pride of the Autobot aerial force. He is so into technology that he keeps upgrading himself, just to stay ahead of the Decepticon forces. Technology is the answer according to Jetfire and it might be a way to stop his old friend Starscream. Uses a Neutron Repeater.

3020481_th.jpg

Sideswipe

Sideswipe is one fast scout, although at times he is way too reckless. Still, being a very fast Autobot makes him a valuable addition to the team. He is a very competitive guy and will do everything to win. While in battle he also uses a Neuron Repeater.

xmifit_th.jpg

Silverbolt

Silverbolt is probably the most selfless bot on the Autobot team. He would sacrifice himself to save another Autobot. How noble that may be, he can’t be missed. He is an extraordinary flyer who is tough and brave. He uses a Photon burst rifle.

v3h8o4_th.jpg

Warpath

ZANG! POW! Warpath is a very energetic Autobot who is always excited to enter the battlefield. Being loud and thick-headed aren’t his best qualities, but the Autobots know they can always depend on Warpath shooting down some Decepticons. KABLAM!

34hz1v8_th.jpg

Airraid

Airraid loves heading first into battle. Shooting Deceptions from close range is fun and that’s what he loves most: fun. He can be a bit cocky and every now and then he will endanger his friends in battle by acting quite rash, but he always seems to get himself and his friends out of danger.

stuminus3

Demo was pretty good, I might be sold on how much fun it was to transform alone.

Wii version? By Next Level Games? I had no idea! I was wondering what those guys were up to.

Xater

Still hoping for positive reviews tomorrow. I still have my doubts (I always have with licensed games) because I can not play the demo.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wait... by "rail shooter" (re: Wii version) do you mean "Time Crisis/House of the Dead" type of rail shooter, or "StarFox/Sin & Punishment" type rail shooter?

Played some more of the multiplayer demo and aside from transforming set to left-click being a real nuisance(I tend to accidentally click the button during intense battles) it's really good stuff.

Though at the rate game prices tend to drop I think I'll wait a month and pick this up for $30.

40 bucks in Canada at launch, its tempting but I want to see reviews first considering I have so many other games to play right now and vowed I wouldn't buy any this Summer.......but its hard to say no to a deal

I remember reading all the positive feedback in the 360 demo thread. I'm rather pleased scout sounds like to play with online. Looking forward to impressions of online for PS3 and campaign mode...for the decepticons specifically.

ElRenoRaven

Well since there was a huge lack of PC information I went with the 360 version myself. Now to sit back and wait for my delivery tomorrow from Amazon.

JdFoX187

Banned
Green Scar said:
No Optimus Primal, NO SALE.
There needs to be a Beast War video game made. Hell, anything related to Beast Wars needs to be brought back. As long as we don't mention that catastrophe that was Beast Machines. Dinobot was the greatest.

Sadist

JdFoX187 said:
There needs to be a Beast War video game made. Hell, anything related to Beast Wars needs to be brought back. As long as we don't mention that catastrophe that was Beast Machines. Dinobot was the greatest.
There were a few Beast Wars games, but they sucked.

Takao

Banned
Beast Machines is a really good show if you forget that it's a sequel to Beasties.

Anyways, I should be getting a copy tomorrow.

Dude Abides

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Played some more of the multiplayer demo and aside from transforming set to left-click being a real nuisance(I tend to accidentally click the button during intense battles) it's really good stuff.

Though at the rate game prices tend to drop I think I'll wait a month and pick this up for $30.

I also found that a nuisance until I discovered you could map it to Y instead using layout B. Doing so moves weapon select to the D-pad.

Takao

Banned
Just a head's up, two years ago a bunch of fans released a Beast Wars/Beasties prequel adapting a comic book prequel. It's called the Theft of the Golden Disk, which chronicles the journey of how Megatron initially obtained the disk. Just before release the short was picked up by Hasbro and Fun Publications (the organizers of the Transformers Collector's Club), and they were able to get David Kaye to reprise his role of Megatron.

It was initially a fan production, so bare with the less than great CG:

Part One
Part Two

zon

Oh wow, this actually looks interesting. Too many good games coming out, my wallet will be hurting.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
PsychoRaven said:
Well since there was a huge lack of PC information I went with the 360 version myself. Now to sit back and wait for my delivery tomorrow from Amazon.
Yeah, I haven't even seen a preview. Are there any reviews out yet?

Foxix Von

SapientWolf said:

I'm pretty sure there's an embargo set by Activision that doesn't lift until tomorrow. Really, really sucks.

However, there are a couple out I think by smaller sites or magazines.

Yup, I'm stoked for this too! But I'm only renting a copy from Gamefly as of right now. But getting "Jazz" fas a DLC character is tempting...

Does anyone know how Best Buy is working this? Is it like their past reservation system where one can go in, slap down 5 bucks, and walk out with a game case & DLC code/card?

ElRenoRaven

SapientWolf said:

Nope. Not a single detail out there about it other then system specs and as mentioned there is an embargo on the reviews till tomorrow. Personally I think Activision is only shooting themselves in the foot with that but oh well. This is when it pays to own PS3, Xbox 360, and a PC. lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Foxix said:
I'm pretty sure there's an embargo set by Activision that doesn't lift until tomorrow. Really, really sucks.

However, there are a couple out I think by smaller sites or magazines.
That's pretty odd, considering that the game has been getting a lot of positive pre-release buzz.

Wag

Does Soundwave still use cassettes? If so I wonder where he buys his, because no one sells them anymore.:D

Foxix Von

Reluctant-Hero said:
Yup, I'm stoked for this too! But I'm only renting a copy from Gamefly as of right now. But getting "Jazz" fas a DLC character is tempting...

Does anyone know how Best Buy is working this? Is it like their past reservation system where one can go in, slap down 5 bucks, and walk out with a game case & DLC code/card?

The first run best buy gets just has the code inside the case. Not sure about GS though. I'm currently prodding a friend that works there for more info :lol

As for reviews... This is basically it so far http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=252718

And to wag: sorta spoiler?
I watched some of the streams and yeah he still uses cassettes, rumble and a few other even make an appearance along with the line "First we crack the shell, then we crack the nuts inside" However the voice actor had clearly never seen the movie.

Foxix said:
The first run best buy gets just has the code inside the case. Not sure about GS though. I'm currently prodding a friend that works there for more info :lol

As for reviews... This is basically it so far http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=252718

I watched some of the streams and yeah he still uses cassettes, rumble and a few other even make an appearance along with the line "First we crack the shell, then we crack the nuts inside" However the voice actor had clearly never seen the movie.
Okay if the case is that codes at inside the package; I'm guessing that the three pre-order DLC characters will released as paid DLC a few months down the line.

Also, aren't the DLC characters only available for multiplayer? They aren't playable in the campaign, right? Coulda sworn I read that somewhere...

Foxix Von

Reluctant-Hero said:
Okay if the case is that codes at inside the package; I'm guessing that the three pre-order DLC characters will released as paid DLC a few months down the line.

Also, aren't the DLC characters only available for multiplayer? They aren't playable in the campaign, right? Coulda sworn I read that somewhere...

Only in escalation mode.

Teknoman

Foxix said:

I cant believe they took that from the movie :lol Sucks if he didnt deliver...but i'll take it.

Wow I dismissed this as some cheap movie tie-in...

Some of my favorite Transformers are in this :D (and wow did they get the original actor for Shockwave ? )

It's 39.99 here in Canada .. tempting.

Effect

Sadist said:
Uhm, it's a railshooter from a third person perspective actually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NTsos-Q7Vs

I could actually be okay with this style of play if the explosions weren't simply a puff of purple smoke. WTH!? The Wii can do explosions just fine so that is ridiculous. The Revenge of the Fallen game on Wii was better in that regard and by all accounts that version of the game is really bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY1AbZi6Z7w So what exactly happen here with this game is what I'd like to know. Especially since the flames on debris in the game (Cybertron Adventures) looks somewhat decent. The design of the Autobot seems to clash with the art style of the game itself too I think.

KernelPanic said:
Wow I dismissed this as some cheap movie tie-in...

Some of my favorite Transformers are in this :D (and wow did they get the original actor for Shockwave ? )

It's 39.99 here in Canada .. tempting.

I'm thinking about grabbing this as well. I'll probably have to get up early to go to Wal-Mart before they all sell early at that price. $39.99 is a pretty damn good deal!

Top Bottom