• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Tonight I got the really strong urge to start wearing skirts :/

I can't wear one at home and I'm afraid to buy them anyway.

Welcome to my world.

zPVAc.jpg

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Tonight I got the really strong urge to start wearing skirts :/

I can't wear one at home and I'm afraid to buy them anyway.

I need to find skirts that work with knee-high striped socks of various colors. I have some that work well with the various tights/hose I have, but then I feel like I need Adult Woman shoes, and I wanna go skirt+sneakers.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I need to find skirts that work with knee-high striped socks of various colors. I have some that work well with the various tights/hose I have, but then I feel like I need Adult Woman shoes, and I wanna go skirt+sneakers.

Short skirt, high socks, high canvas boots.

Yum.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Heeheehee~

Suppose I'll need to buy a skirt to go with it though ;~;

I wear them with everything, but yes they do look best with mid to short length skirts or shorts (don't forget how adorable shorts and thigh highs can look!) Got to get that zettai ryouiki!

tiff

Banned
I wear them with everything, but yes they do look best with mid to short length skirts or shorts (don't forget how adorable shorts and thigh highs can look!) Got to get that zettai ryouiki!
All my shorts are too long. You can't have negative zettai ryouiki!

mollipen

I can't stop thinking about clothes. Is this a side effect of ladyhood?

It's ridiculous how easy it is to get obsessed with it. When I first started buying stuff, I was amazed at my interest level—it was literally like flipping a light switch.

I think part of it too is because you may have lived so long with no interest in clothing due to always focusing on guy's clothes. So you're going from 0 to 100 in a very compacted amount of time.

Hop

Girls can wear WHATEVER THEY WANT! It's like a whole new world I never realized was there!!

And it's really hard to navigate! In guy mode I'm all jeans and t-shirts, and I wanna break away from that, but I just have no idea what works or what I like or anything. Too many options >_<

Lissar

Reluctant Member
And it's really hard to navigate! In guy mode I'm all jeans and t-shirts, and I wanna break away from that, but I just have no idea what works or what I like or anything. Too many options >_<

First thing is to find what flatters your shape and then go from there. With women's clothes this is super important since women have a lot more bumpy things on them than men so some clothes are going to look worse than others! Fortunately there are cute clothes for all shapes and once you've narrowed it down you can start thinking about your particular preference. It might take some trial and error to decide what styles you like best and what colors look best on you, but that's half the fun!

edit: I know there are sites out there that talk about what clothes fit what shapes, though I'm not sure which ones are best.

mollipen

Actually, a really fun/interesting site for exploring the world of female fashion is Poupee Girl (pupe.ameba.jp). You create an avatar, you can dress her up, but another portion of the site is actually posting up your real-life clothing and accessories for others to see. The site is a Japanese site, but there's a decent amount of English speakers on there as well. You can browse other people's closets, see what kinds of fashion they're into, comment on items, favorite them, and so on.

It isn't necessarily a "this goes with this" kind of thing, but it's a good way to get a look into people's tastes in fashion, and explore the various types of clothing out there without actually going to a store or wading through various online shops.

(Speaking of which, I need to get my closet updated on there.)

All my shorts are too long. You can't have negative zettai ryouiki!
I'm going to wear thigh highs with a long skirt just to irritate you.
Actually, a really fun/interesting site for exploring the world of female fashion is Poupee Girl (pupe.ameba.jp). You create an avatar, you can dress her up, but another portion of the site is actually posting up your real-life clothing and accessories for others to see. The site is a Japanese site, but there's a decent amount of English speakers on there as well. You can browse other people's closets, see what kinds of fashion they're into, comment on items, favorite them, and so on.

It isn't necessarily a "this goes with this" kind of thing, but it's a good way to get a look into people's tastes in fashion, and explore the various types of clothing out there without actually going to a store or wading through various online shops.

(Speaking of which, I need to get my closet updated on there.)
Ooh, it's in English too. *registers*

Hop

First thing is to find what flatters your shape and then go from there.

Aaaaand I'm out. :p Seriously, I have no idea what flatters my shape or how to figure out what does or even what "flatters my shape" really actually means. I have such terrible self-awareness.

mollipen

Aaaaand I'm out. :p Seriously, I have no idea what flatters my shape or how to figure out what does or even what "flatters my shape" really actually means. I have such terrible self-awareness.

Really, you need a female friend there with you helping you out, at least at first. Women have had their entire lives to learn about this stuff, so you can't expect to be an expert at it in a few weeks/months. *heh*

And if you don't have any local female friends, then go on to Craigslist and post a want ad for women to go shopping with you who would help you learn about clothing and how to look cute. There's absolutely no way somebody wouldn't at least get a few responses to a post like that, no matter where you live. *laughs*

Somebody I know went on Craigslist and posted an ad looking for "somebody to cover over, watch anime with me, get drunk with me, and let me consensually fondle your breasts". Even that got a response that worked out.

Hop

And if you don't have any local female friends, then go on to Craigslist and post a want ad for women to go shopping with you who would help you learn about clothing and how to look cute. There's absolutely no way somebody wouldn't at least get a few responses to a post like that, no matter where you live. *laughs*

Funny thing, that. I had the idea a while back, or someone suggested it to me or something. So I go, check up the platonic section. Most recent post? Another transwoman doing the exact same thing. I was like, well crap, I can't post now...

Then I just completely forgot about it.

I find that I see people wearing outfits, think "oh that's nice", but when looking online/in shops just can't pick out anything I nice or close to those.

mollipen

Well... first steps in hopefully finally getting things done have begun. I found out that even though I'm a redhead, my hair is mostly dark enough to go with laser for my face. I say mostly because I do have some lighter hairs that I'll have to do electrolysis on, but I should be able to do a majority of it with laser.

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to, so that's good news. Now to pick a place to go to, and get the process started.

Emitan

*hugs shishi*

Yay! I really should research that because I hate touching my face and feeling stubble. I don't care if I'm not trying to pass yet, I want to do what I can.

Hop

Sometimes I feel an alien because 90% of my wardrobe are jeans and nerd/geek shirts =x

*hi-five!*

I'm the same way. I can very easily just stick to that and do a female version of my old wardrobe, but why not at least try some other options, y'know?

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Ever since I started thinking seriously about crossdressing I've been thinking about clothes more and more, which a total turn around from how I was. I'm now faaaar more concerned about style, fashion and clothing (both male and female) than I used to be.

I mean, I only have 4 tshirts, 1 pair of shoes and 2 pairs of jeans (two pairs of the same :x).

I wish I could just go and buy everything :(
And maybe have a total style makeover at the same time :eek:

Different clothes manufacturers make clothes in different fits. Personally I find stuff by Oasis fits really nicely because it's a little more forgiving in terms of waistline compared to hips and bust. They don't usually make them too fitted.

So my advice would be try a few items from a number of different stores and you'll find a store that makes stuff that, generally, fits you better.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
For our anonymous friend once again:

Churchmouse said:
So I paid my doctor a visit, kinda to explore ways in which I could find somebody to talk to about this in person, at the wise urgings of people I hold a great deal of respect for. This doctor was the family doctor, a man who had been involved with our health for at least 21 years at this point. Even so, I was nervous waiting in the room, just pondering there for about 7-10 minutes and gradually becoming apprehensive. Before the wait, a nurse asked me what I needed the doc for, probably to give him a vague idea of the tone of the appointment.

"Oh, um, eye stuff and... something else".

Not an auspicious start, one would guess. When he arrived, the first thing I talked about was the weird eye perspective thing that's happened a few times when I've been feeling stressed the past few weeks (usually the center of focus easing in or out, such that whatever I was looking at was tremendously distorted for several minutes). He figured that it was probably nothing serious, though recommended I get some bloodwork done nonetheless to be safe.

Using the subject of stress as a segue, I brought up one certain cause of a great deal of it: gender identity issues. That was the closest equivalent to technical terms I had made use of in the entire appointment, but it was enough for him to understood immediately what I was getting at. The tension basically evaporated after that point, he didn't direct a single note of disapproval or disdain in my direction. He simply wanted to help, and asked me questions in much the same manner as he asked any others on any other day.

"How long have you felt this way?"

(virtually my entire life, with my addressing it starting recently)

"Does it manifest in ways like crossdressing?"

(no, I specifically avoided that and anything overtly feminine in my past)

"Do your parents or friends know?"

(no)

I had originally asked for a referral to a psychiatrist, though per his suggestion I'm being referred to some city-funded services for now. The wait for a psych can apparently be months long, and my need for someone to talk to is definitely acute and pressing. Even were I completely concluded to change things tomorrow morning, my dependency on my family rules that out for what could be a year or longer anyway. Still, he made it explicitly clear that he considered the option of a psychiatrist still on the table if these other options didn’t provide the needed assistance. He definitely sounded committed to helping in the most thorough way possible, a stark departure from my irrational fears of him being a religious zealot or a hardened social conservative.

He intuited correctly whilst poring over the bloodwork forms that I would want to keep this a secret, and I naturally agreed. I gave my private email address so that I could be passed along phone numbers and the like without revealing them to family. He motioned to hand me the form, but paused in mid-stride.

"What if your mother asks about the bloodwork?"

I responded by saying I'd tell her the eye thing, and he echoed that statement as if to say, "sounds good". I had eased into myself a fair amount in that little office, I could feel my gestures and posture becoming more animated and less self-concious. In that brief space of time I had carried myself much like I feel I ought carry myself, personable, shot through with colour, and unafraid. This man had been one of the doctors in the hospital room at the time of my birth, believe it or not, and he had put me so at ease that for about the entirety of those ten or so minutes, my self-taught suppressive reflexes slowed to a crawl and I unstiffened, shedding that robotic carapace that I've held myself in for most of my remembered life.

I was out the door soon after, form in hand. As I passed that threshold and caught sight of my mother waiting in the lobby, that stiffness settled in on me yet again. I was once again the robot, but the memory of that appointment still burned in my chest like an ember. A little spark of heat amid my cold and blankness. I mentioned my eyes to my mother, and she was thankfully not overly concerned. We walked over to the lab area to get the blood drawing done. I hardly felt the needle, and would discover later that I had forgotten a box of tissues in the office. My mind had been thoroughly elsewhere, no pain or thing seemed to weigh on it. And even as I slipped back into my longest running role, the method-acted boy, that heat continued to radiate. Wherever I went today, whatever I was doing, even if it was nothing at all... I've never been more enthused to be there. I've caught myself smiling for no reason at some time or another since then, wondered at its continual return even when stamped out for a moment.

And now, the feelings of sleep are becoming overpowering, my eyes are a little watery, so I think I'll leave off here and make time for some (brief) sleep. Bless you. I don't even know the last time I felt this good. For all my fears about being mistaken, misguided, or at the cusp of an event horizon, I can't deny what today did for me, nor what you and others like you have done and continue to do for me. Bless you. I love you all.

sophora

Lovely read and great to hear. Wishing the best. If only I could be as brave, reading it made me a bit teary eyed for happiness for your Anonymous friend and a bit of emo on my end. Maybe I should sleep...

my self-taught suppressive reflexes slowed to a crawl and I unstiffened, shedding that robotic carapace that I've held myself in for most of my remembered life.
God, that brought back memories. Congratulations to your anonymous friend for making a big step. Also, they're a beautifully vivid writer :)

Hop

And even as I slipped back into my longest running role, the method-acted boy, that heat continued to radiate.

This, I think, hit me a lot harder than it should've. I suddenly feel like I've been method-acting everything, just copying what other people do. And not just with being a boy, but being a programmer, a geek, an adult, a furry... and I fear, a transwoman. I can't be myself, I have nobody to observe to teach me how to be myself. I don't know who I am, I'm just portraying others.

Think I need to lie down a bit. >_<

Emitan

All I've done since getting home from work was lay in bed for the past 2 days. And at work I'm just zoning out. I tried to come out to my best friend (via Steam chat), and felt too uncomfortable so I didn't, but I'm fucking stressed out now.

Sorry for coming in here and bitching about my life all the time.

Top Bottom