• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transit-Age: Are you satisfied with your city's transit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Rdpip.gif

This is always a hot button issue in my city (Toronto), so I'm wondering if other people are happy with transit where they're living. While I mean to touch more on public transit, if you have more to say about roads (congestion, conditions, tolls, construction), then by all means go on.

You may want to touch on points like:

• Coverage - Does your transit system reach where you need to go? Does it reach into the suburbs, or is it relatively short and poorly designed? Does your transit system reach your airport, or other regional transit systems?
  • Cost - Do you feel like you pay a reasonable amount for the service provided? Do you pay for distance traveled, by ol' fashion cash, or by a refillable metro card? Do transfers cost extra, or come free?
  • Modernism - Is your system modern feeling with automation on the trains, and in the stations, or does it feel like something out of the 1950s? Are your buses and cars newer, or something that belongs in a museum? Is the system accessible to the elderly and disabled passengers?
  • Management - Are strikes over transit a common theme every year, or does everything just seem to push on without a hitch? Are the employees you encounter friendly and helpful, or rude and lazy? Is the transit run by a private company, the city / government, or a combination?

In Toronto, we're primarily served by one sole transit system in the TTC (Toronto Transit Commission). Although Toronto is a fairly large city (just over 6 mil metro, 2.6 mil city), with a ballooned population during the day from the suburbs, our transit system is very vanilla. We have three subway lines (70km) and one RT line. One subway line is relatively new, but built on population growth projections which have not been met, meaning the line is not used very often. The line also suffers from being a dead end (and short) and not linking up with the rest of the system on one end.

That said, we didn't jump on the chance decades ago to expand the subway line (mostly due to fighting in City Hall about how to move forward, and new mayors cancelling old projects), and now we're stuck.

We do have a massive bus and streetcar system, which helps the lack of subway lines. The buses have mostly been updated in the last few years to modern models, but we're still waiting on replacing our 30 year old streetcar fleet. LRTs are mostly what we have to look forward to in our transit's future, which is okay in my book. It's what we can afford, we don't make risky guesses with population growth in areas where population doesn't meet subway demands yet, and it's not sitting on our hands like we've done for years.

Another problem with the system is accessibility. Most of the 69 stations are not accessible for anyone that might have a tough time getting around. Few have elevators, many have escalators that consistently are under repair, and upkeep is not the best. Along with this comes the inability for the TTC to upgrade how they're run (we have no automation in the system, either at vehicle level, or at things as simple as the fare boxes); most of this stems from being supported by a very strong union that doesn't want to retire jobs.

The system is also expensive, costing $128 CAD for a metropass and $3 cash fare each way. You don't pay by zone in the system, but simply once you're on 'you're on' and once you're off 'you're off' (except for transfers which must be used ASAP). Much of this is because the city itself funds the TTC and we receive almost nothing from the Provincial level; Something unheard of for most transit systems.

Overall, I'm not that down on the system we have, but it's not a great piece of work to compare to even more similarly sized cities around the world. We screwed ourselves on subway expansion, and we've been slow to move forward in many areas. Hopefully in the coming years our planned expansions will actually happen and it will make the city much more livable.

SU3jZ.jpg
PNooY.jpg

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It's good, but it is constantly getting better though the Free-Zone is going away.

The rail system will get me to a good starting off point almost all throughout the city and surrounding areas then I can either bike or take a bus to my final destination.

Dali

No. I currently live in a shitty ghetto city that keeps getting more ghetto and so the growth is away from the ghetto areas which is increasingly growing. As a result everything is spread out and there's no efficient way to get from the old parts to the nice new parts.

Columbus is the largest city in America without any sort of rail transit. And our idiotic bus drivers union went on strike over the 4th of July (and the hottest week of the year when half of central Ohio didn't have electricity) for no fucking reason.

So no. Columbus is an awesome city, but the transportation sucks ass.

Guevara

I live in San Francisco, so no. I used to live in NYC. In San Francisco:

• Transit is not 24 hours on most lines, if I am out past midnight I have to take a cab home. Thank god for Uber.

• We don't have a useful subway line, and the planned central lined has been stymied by NIMBYs for decades. At best we may have a few useful subway routes in ten years :-/

• The bus lines go over normal streets, rather than dedicated lanes, BRT, etc. I mean technically there are bus lanes but they are unenforced and non-existent on all but the most popular routes. Because of this bus service is as slow as general traffic. Other cities do it better.

• Combination of weird legacy systems. The Muni buses, BART, trolleys etc are confusing and antiquated. Granted I'm pretty new to SF but a uniform system would be more efficient and easier to navigate. I have no love whatsoever for cable cars btw.

• Pretty much everyone owns a car. I own a car even though I take public trans (Muni bus) to and from work everyday. I feel like I still need a car for the weekends, something I never felt in NYC.

• Some people claim it is overpriced. I guess that's true for what we get. I don't really have a problem paying ~$70/month for all I can ride but for the same amount NYC provides better and more extensive service.

• The taxi structure in this city is idiotic. Seriously: there aren't enough taxis yet the political structure is tied to keeping it that way.
NYC baby... best public transport in the world

ugh. I miss it

Brinbe

Regarding the TTC, well, I live downtown, a two min walk away from a subway stop, so I don't really mind it as much as others (especially when compared to the public transit in other cities I've lived in)... it's functional enough for what I need. But I definitely recognize that a vast number in the GTA simply don't have that luxury.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I live in the Riverside area in Southern California, and our major form of mass transit are the buses (not very good) and the Metrolink which goes to the urban core Los Angeles. I actually like Metrolink quite a bit, but there are two major failures of Metrolink. The first is that it is a commuter car so it leaves for Los Angeles really really and arrives really late. That is fine if you have a 9-5 job in Los Angeles, but if you want to go to LA for Nisei Week or Anime Expo it is a pain in the ass. The second is that there are not enough damn trains running, which means that it takes forever to wait for a train if you missed it.

Ideally, it would be nice if they electrified the tracks and turned it into an interurban rail system that had regular arrivals and departures every 15-30 minutes, but it is too costly and they don't have the right-of-ways to make it work. This is irritating since the 91 freeway has heavy traffic from 5am - 10pm every day, and any sort of alternative light-rail or interurban system would do wonders in removing commuting traffic to Orange County and Los Angeles.

....and to think that SoCal once had the greatest mass transit system on the planet with the Pacific Electric.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I live in NYC, so our transit system blows away most other city transits.

Coverage- You can reach just about any point in the five boroughs(not so much system island). There multiple trains/buses that cover major city hubs.

Cost- Its has been going up the past few years. Not happy with how much an unlimited cost nowadays($108), single fare is $2.25. Transfers are free.

Modernism- They have been rolling out new trains. They have clearer announcements, better subway route system within the train, countdown clocks at stations, bigger and greener buses.

Management- Run by idiots, who dont know how to budget shit. Construction projects take forever to be completed, cost more than expected. The employees are helpful, they know their routes.

ferr

Price just went up on DC Metro, I'm mad.

Also, I was in Philly recently and I was like, "Where's the metro?" and this person was like "The wha?". Apparently they call it "subway" or something weird. Weirdos! Also the NYC and Philly metros are much less jerky than DC metro. That's my two cents.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Price just went up on DC Metro, I'm mad.

Also, I was in Philly recently and I was like, "Where's the metro?" and this person was like "The wha?". Apparently they call it "subway" or something weird. Weirdos! Also the NYC and Philly metros are much less jerky than DC metro. That's my two cents.

I went to DC last year, and I hate the whole "you need your pass card to exit" thing. I brought one metro card with $10 for my gf and me, and then had to buy another $5 metro when I found that out. The employee didnt give a shit about my situation, and told me to buy a new card.

Its known as a subway in NYC as well.

HylianTom

Banned
No complaints here. The streetcar and buses are more than adequate.. as long as you live in the city limits (New Orleans). They're also expanding the streetcar tracks coverage to reach more areas, which is a welcome development. It's good to the point where bike+streetcar+bus+walking will enable us to go down to one car soon.

ATF487

Boston. It's better than a lot of places, but the green line will always be shitty, and having the last train run before 1 ruins a night out. I'd kill for a night bus that drives around the T lines.

Commuter rail is pretty awesome (really comfortable seats and wifi) but now the prices are getting hiked by a few dollars per ride

edit:

Coverage - Decent. Boston is a pretty walkable city so most of the city and Cambridge are well covered, or a short walk if not. Somerville is the big problem at the moment, it's home to a huge young professional population that can't easily access the subway. It's weird, too, because the red line goes all the way down into Quincy, which is relatively far south, but it doesn't expand westward in the same way. The commuter rail coverage is great, though, and it's even expanding into New Hampshire.
Cost - It's always good in comparison to a car, and you can generally rely on it, but it's frustrating to see the fare increases happening just to keep a budget deficit from increasing. Like most public services, the new constructions come in late and over budget, and until then we get squeezed a little harder
Modernism - It's an old city, with old infrastructure. The Green Line has been there for about a hundred years and it feels like it sometimes. Other lines are faster but many of the city's biggest attractions are on that ancient line
Management - Not really sure, besides the financials.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Madison, WI here. All we have is a bus system and it's pretty mediocre in my opinion. I don't know how some people do it, but living here without a car and relying solely on the bus system must be ass.

Mesoian

Im in Boston. Every bus is 10 minutes late, every train is 20 minutes late, train operators take extreme joy in purposely waiting 3 minutes after their scheduled departure time, watching everyone getting off the late buses, watch people run all the way around the train station to get to the train yard, then leave once the front of the line is about 10 feet away from the turnstile.

EVERY DAY.

The MBTA should be destroyed.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Mid city los angeles area. The rail system is the one saving grace. I understand that the city is large, but damn are the times on the buses wildly inconsistent.

jchap

My entire county has like 4 roads. They are pretty awesome roads though: One goes to work and the other to my house.

guess

Houston....

In the early 1900s, Houston had a streetcar system with over 20 lines and 90 miles of track. No remnants of the system today.

In the late 80s voters approved a plan to build a new system. 22 miles of monorail. Then voters elect a mayor running on a platform of killing the plan.

In 2004 a 7 mile light rail line opened in Houston. Not the best (by far) but I guess it was a start. Now, 8 years later, 2 more lines are being constructed. Of course, Houston being Houston, Rep. John Culberson has managed to block federal funds for the construction of more lines. He claims he is protecting his constituents.

Meanwhile, Interstate 10 in part of Houston is up to 26 Lanes! All those lanes and still massive congestion. Maybe one day it will be figured out that a roads only system will not work.

Certain buses run late/very early but there is definitely no 24 hour service. It's all about cars in Houston.

Messi

I was was mildly ok with Dublins transit system and then I went to Barcelona and used the Metro. It was a life changing experience. I could get to anywhere in the city in a matter of moments. I love Barcelonas metro.

I live in a small town in the mountains of NC. We have free bus service in town (ten different routes), and on-demand transportation to anywhere in the county for a maximum of $2. If you're over the age of 60 that service is free.

fixed_route_in_town_1.jpg

It's really kind of awesome. The rural service is basically a taxi that costs you no more than $2!

rural_routes_1.jpg

I live in San Francisco, so no. I used to live in NYC. In San Francisco:

• Transit is not 24 hours on most lines, if I am out past midnight I have to take a cab home. Thank god for Uber.

• We don't have a useful subway line, and the planned central lined has been stymied by NIMBYs for decades. At best we may have a few useful subway routes in ten years :-/

• The bus lines go over normal streets, rather than dedicated lanes, BRT, etc. I mean technically there are bus lanes but they are unenforced and non-existent on all but the most popular routes. Because of this bus service is as slow as general traffic. Other cities do it better.

• Combination of weird legacy systems. The Muni buses, BART, trolleys etc are confusing and antiquated. Granted I'm pretty new to SF but a uniform system would be more efficient and easier to navigate. I have no love whatsoever for cable cars btw.

• Pretty much everyone owns a car. I own a car even though I take public trans (Muni bus) to and from work everyday. I feel like I still need a car for the weekends, something I never felt in NYC.

• Some people claim it is overpriced. I guess that's true for what we get. I don't really have a problem paying ~$70/month for all I can ride but for the same amount NYC provides better and more extensive service.

• The taxi structure in this city is idiotic. Seriously: there aren't enough taxis yet the political structure is tied to keeping it that way.

ugh. I miss it

You summed it up perfectly.

Gallbaro

Banned
I have the awesome advantage of both:

250px-NYCS_map_R.svg.png

AND

300px-LIRR_schematic.svg.png

The second most inept agency in the country (Second only to PANYNJ) but I still wouldn't live without it.

AND

livery-cabs1_EDITED.jpg

Livery are absolutely great when you find a good base.

AND

zipcar_mini_2.jpg

The rest of the country sucks sooo bad, just because the reliance on cars.

Minneapolis/St. Paul is okay. (You can get to almost anywhere from anywhere by bus, although it takes a while sometimes), but I wish there were more rail services. Hopefully that'll be alleviated when the central corridor light rail comes into service.

IceCold

Concerning Montreal it's good. I wish the buses came on time more often and that the subway was 24/7 though. The latter would be amazing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The fact that the SkyTrain in Vancouver ends 1AMish pisses me off. I wish they'd at least go till 3-4 or whenever last call at bars is.

It should just be 24 hours. I mean.. they're un-manned trains. What's the cost of energy + night security?

jergrah

Seattle is okay -- lots of buses and they just added Light Rail recently. But they really need to extend the light rail to go much further North and to the Eastside.

Seeing the DC Metro map brings back lots of great memories, lived there for a few years prior to moving here in 04.

Did they ever make progress on the expansion to Tyson's Corner?

jb1234

I would also label Seattle as merely okay. If you live directly in the city limits, you can probably get by with taking the bus... but get too far north or south (or god forbid, the Eastside) and you're either stuck with multi-hour commutes or needing a car. Most people here have cars anyway.

The light rail is only really useful right now for getting down to the airport. I used it once but it requires you to get downtown first. They're building extensions to Capitol Hill (which will especially help me) and the University District but they're going to take several more years to finish. The entire project is going over cost and people are generally up in arms over it.

In the meantime, the last I heard, our traffic is considered the fourth worst in the nation. ;)

Despite how ridiculous that looks... yes... yes I am.

I'm not. I run into delays everyday. Can't remember the last time I actually had a good schedule of trains.

Don't get me started on the buses. But it is convenient since you can use the MTA to get to just about everywhere you need to go to.

zeitgeist

I just moved to Toronto for the 2nd time and I still don't hate the TTC yet. Delays happen but that is to be expected and so far I haven't been completely screwed over.

I love that we have anything that runs for 24 hours. That was what I missed most when I left.

iammeiam

Seattle is okay -- lots of buses and they just added Light Rail recently. But they really need to extend the light rail to go much further North and to the Eastside.

I live in Lynnwood. I got all excited when I saw something from Community Transit announcing they were working on the North Link expansion to the light rail system. Then I looked at the dates and realized they'd just now entered the basic planning phases--they're planning to finally get it up to Lynnwood Transit Center in 2023; only after that will they talk about extending up to Everett. They apparently don't even know when they're going to do the East Link expansion.

Public transit around here kind of blows. They keep having to cut back service; now we have nothing on Sundays or holidays at all, a lot less night-time service, and the old once-an-hour 'Sunday Schedule' on Saturdays. Even after that, they had to streamline/cut back again just in terms of buses-per-day. It's still workable, but it's getting more and more inconvenient to rely on public transit as time wears on.

.GqueB.

Banned
I'm not. I run into delays everyday. Can't remember the last time I actually had a good schedule of trains.

Don't get me started on the buses. But it is convenient since you can use the MTA to get to just about everywhere you need to go to.

Eh, I'm off the A line. It's generally pretty great. Buses are actually great if you know where you're going. I rarely use them though.

Gallbaro

Banned
Houston....

In the early 1900s, Houston had a streetcar system with over 20 lines and 90 miles of track. No remnants of the system today.

In the late 80s voters approved a plan to build a new system. 22 miles of monorail. Then voters elect a mayor running on a platform of killing the plan.

In 2004 a 7 mile light rail line opened in Houston. Not the best (by far) but I guess it was a start. Now, 8 years later, 2 more lines are being constructed. Of course, Houston being Houston, Rep. John Culberson has managed to block federal funds for the construction of more lines. He claims he is protecting his constituents.

Meanwhile, Interstate 10 in part of Houston is up to 26 Lanes! All those lanes and still massive congestion. Maybe one day it will be figured out that a roads only system will not work.

Certain buses run late/very early but there is definitely no 24 hour service. It's all about cars in Houston.
800px-RF_-_Houston_Texas_IH10.1.jpeg

That looks horrifying.

Row

Banned
Halifax, Nova Scotia 3/10

Not a big city so subways and such aren't feasible, so there's only the bus and it's garbage. Rarely on time, terrible drivers, too many bad passengers, not enough service on the busiest routes, and costs too much with fares constantly increasing.

Incheon, South Korea 10/10

Where I currently live temporarily. Buses are crowded but always on time, and the subway system in the seoul metro area is amazing. Best of all though is the cost. Not only is it dirt cheap (can go 30km away on less than what bus fare is back home), but it's all pay per use as well with the money on my card never expiring and being refundable. It makes home look like it's stuck in the stone age. Only downside is lack of 24hr subway service.

Atenhaus

I would also label Seattle as merely okay. If you live directly in the city limits, you can probably get by with taking the bus... but get too far north or south (or god forbid, the Eastside) and you're either stuck with multi-hour commutes or needing a car. Most people here have cars anyway.

The light rail is only really useful right now for getting down to the airport. I used it once but it requires you to get downtown first. They're building extensions to Capitol Hill (which will especially help me) and the University District but they're going to take several more years to finish. The entire project is going over cost and people are generally up in arms over it.

In the meantime, the last I heard, our traffic is considered the fourth worst in the nation. ;)

The U-Link extension is ahead of schedule and under budget. Everything is being paid for with our ST2 taxes.

Just FYI.

Also, there's a push for a Seattle Subway, independent of Sound Transit's Link Light Rail. If you want to get involved, check here: https://www.facebook.com/seattlesubway.

giga

Atlanta highways almost any time during the day:

Our pathetic excuse of public transport called MARTA that doesn't reach any of the important burbs where everyone lives:

500px-MARTA_Rail_Map.svg.png

If you don't have a car and want to go anywhere outside the city, good luck. Here's some stats. Yes, only 22% of jobs here are reachable via transit within 90 minutes:

I0WyE.png

jb1234

The U-Link extension is ahead of schedule and under budget. Everything is being paid for with our ST2 taxes.

Just FYI.

Is it? I wonder what I'm thinking of. Maybe another extension? Or more likely, the new 520 bridge. There's SOMETHING that has people pissed off.

Atenhaus

Is it? I wonder what I'm thinking of. Maybe another extension? Or more likely, the new 520 bridge. There's SOMETHING that has people pissed off.

Probably the deep bore tunnel, the Alaskan Way Viaduct replacement. That's a clusterfuck of giant proportions.

Mercurial

Incheon, South Korea 10/10

Where I currently live temporarily. Buses are crowded but always on time, and the subway system in the seoul metro area is amazing. Best of all though is the cost. Not only is it dirt cheap (can go 30km away on less than what bus fare is back home), but it's all pay per use as well with the money on my card never expiring and being refundable. It makes home look like it's stuck in the stone age. Only downside is lack of 24hr subway service.
Ctrl F Seoul

Seriously, it's amazing. Coming back to Toronto really feels like traveling back to the 70's.

Miami

Fucking Miami

What public transit? If you don't have a car you're pretty much fucked. The bus drivers do a heroic job, but there's only so much you can do with buses only.

Edit: And this is after living in Beijing. FUCK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom