• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transit-Age: Are you satisfied with your city's transit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovid

2947008_com_new_york_subway_map1.jpg

Despite how ridiculous that looks... yes... yes I am.

Word.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
outside of a bus or two, there is no Transit system. The only places i have seen in the US with decent public transit is NY and DC.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Jesus Christ that's amazing.

What's even more amazing is that unlike most of the massive Euro and NA systems (London, Paris, NYC), Seoul's subway system is really young, having opened up in the 70s. All those other massive systems have at least 70 years on it.

And it's DIRT CHEAP to ride.

DJ_Lae

I have no issue with the bus system here in Victoria other than there really needs to be a light rail or something out to Langford/Colwood to deal with the fucking Colwood Crawl. The buses have a priority light before it goes green but that doesn't help much when you're basically gridlocked for a kilometer or more.

Where I'm at, though, I've got it easy - I'm within a block of nine separate bus routes so I can get pretty much anywhere with minimal effort and wait times, helped immensely by Google adding bus schedules to their maps.

iHTxe0l1GJ7X7.jpg

LuCkymoON

Banned
DART Rail is currently the most advanced in Texas:
dartrailmapjun2011large.gif

The bad thing about Dart is that it cannot expand further into the southern cities, due to local taxing laws.
and lol at Houston, wtf happened there.

gillty

Banned
Despite what people will tell you Vancouvers transit is pretty outstanding for a metro with 2.4m.

It has its flaws but the Skytrain (subway) run every 3 minutes, and in the city proper many of the popular buses run every 7 minutes.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Halifax, Nova Scotia 3/10

Not a big city so subways and such aren't feasible, so there's only the bus and it's garbage. Rarely on time, terrible drivers, too many bad passengers, not enough service on the busiest routes, and costs too much with fares constantly increasing.

Incheon, South Korea 10/10

Where I currently live temporarily. Buses are crowded but always on time, and the subway system in the seoul metro area is amazing. Best of all though is the cost. Not only is it dirt cheap (can go 30km away on less than what bus fare is back home), but it's all pay per use as well with the money on my card never expiring and being refundable. It makes home look like it's stuck in the stone age. Only downside is lack of 24hr subway service.
I remember having it stop at midnight and you were stuck where you stopped. Lucky for me the only time it happened, I JUST got to my stop

jb1234

Probably the deep bore tunnel, the Alaskan Way Viaduct replacement. That's a clusterfuck of giant proportions.

Oh yeah! I have several friends upset with that because with the new replacement, you lose most of the downtown exits (which seems like really bad planning to me).

Atenhaus

Despite what people will tell you Vancouvers transit is pretty outstanding for a metro with 2.4m.

It has its flaws but the Skytrain (subway) run every 3 minutes, and in the city proper many of the popular buses run every 7 minutes.

As a Seattleite, this makes me really damn envious.

I'm fine with NYC's Subway system for the most part. Aside from some overcrowding on some lines (They really need to finish the Second Ave Subway... that's been in the works on and off for what, 40 or so years?) and some ridiculous reroutes on weekends, it's generally okay.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Chicago's used to be so much better, but budget cuts have really hurt. It's still decent, though, by shitty standards.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Ctrl F Seoul

Seriously, it's amazing. Coming back to Toronto really feels like traveling back to the 70's.

According to the Wikipedia: "Seoul's metropolitan government employs several mathematicians to coordinate the subway, bus, and traffic schedules into one timetable."

HOLY CRAP!

Not only that it have such an extensive system, everything is completely synchronized :eek:

I live in Toronto and yes the transit here is superb. You can go in and out of the city really quickly, this is great for me cause I hate driving on the highway.

Mairu

I live in San Francisco, so no. I used to live in NYC. In San Francisco:

• Transit is not 24 hours on most lines, if I am out past midnight I have to take a cab home. Thank god for Uber.

• We don't have a useful subway line, and the planned central lined has been stymied by NIMBYs for decades. At best we may have a few useful subway routes in ten years :-/

• The bus lines go over normal streets, rather than dedicated lanes, BRT, etc. I mean technically there are bus lanes but they are unenforced and non-existent on all but the most popular routes. Because of this bus service is as slow as general traffic. Other cities do it better.

• Combination of weird legacy systems. The Muni buses, BART, trolleys etc are confusing and antiquated. Granted I'm pretty new to SF but a uniform system would be more efficient and easier to navigate. I have no love whatsoever for cable cars btw.

• Pretty much everyone owns a car. I own a car even though I take public trans (Muni bus) to and from work everyday. I feel like I still need a car for the weekends, something I never felt in NYC.

• Some people claim it is overpriced. I guess that's true for what we get. I don't really have a problem paying ~$70/month for all I can ride but for the same amount NYC provides better and more extensive service.

• The taxi structure in this city is idiotic. Seriously: there aren't enough taxis yet the political structure is tied to keeping it that way.

ugh. I miss it

I agree with everything!

And it gets much much worse once you get out of San Francisco :(

Muni isn't that great but once you go a tiny bit south and you have to deal with samtrans you start missing muni :/

Tiktaalik

The fact that the SkyTrain in Vancouver ends 1AMish pisses me off. I wish they'd at least go till 3-4 or whenever last call at bars is.

It should just be 24 hours. I mean.. they're un-manned trains. What's the cost of energy + night security?

They take it off at night so that they can do maintenance on the track. I do think that they should keep them on longer. You'd think they would be able to keep it on until 3 on the weekend and close it earlier during the week to compensate but maybe that doesn't really fit with the maintenance demands.

Flash

TTC is pretty mediocre. Prices are always rising and services are constantly being cut. Nothing ever happens in terms of construction because of stupid ass politicians hoping to leave their legacy behind and anything that does happen takes decades of planning and another decade of construction (YorkU subway extension). And the subways close way too early (some lines 130, others 12:30 due to forever construction) - it should be open AT LEAST to 3 am, especially on weekends.

I feel our subway system is soo behind those of other major cities. The TTC just cannot support the amount of riders we have. And FUCK the politicians, always screwing up any potential growth but at the same time refusing to provide proper funding.

Double D

I just drive. It's always worked out for me. Aside from my college days, I've never lived more than 5 minutes from my work, school, friends, social gatherings, retail stores, etc.

thcsquad

Boston is actually pretty nice. Price is dirt cheap compared to Chicago, and I have plenty of buses to go along with the Red Line where I live (in Somerville). I would hate to live on the Green line, though, it's slow as hell. Way too many stops for the distance travelled.

Atenhaus

Oh yeah! I have several friends upset with that because with the new replacement, you lose most of the downtown exits (which seems like really bad planning to me).

For what it's worth, the Viaduct was a horrible transportation solution for the city to begin with. It cut off the waterfront from the rest of the city and prevented development in a large part of the CBD. With that being said, the deep bore tunnel is a shit replacement. Should have gone with a surface/streetcar option. :|

If I lived in the greater Atlanta area, I'm sure I'd be 'content' with it's current state but yeah, that's not the case. Even then, its still crap compared to where I'm natively from (New York City). GTC (Gwinnett County transit) is an exercise in extreme patience and... bleh, its garbage but what you gonna do about it. Personal transportation (specifically cars) have and probably will always be the primary mode of getting around here. I'm not mad but I am hopeful it will expand at some point. I remember when I first came to GA, GTC didn't even exist. So yeah, progress and all that jazz.

beat

The fact that the SkyTrain in Vancouver ends 1AMish pisses me off. I wish they'd at least go till 3-4 or whenever last call at bars is.

It should just be 24 hours. I mean.. they're un-manned trains. What's the cost of energy + night security?
Yes, Skytrain absolutely should run later in the night. But that said, I was largely satisfied with Vancouver's transit for coverage and frequency.

As a Seattleite, this makes me really damn envious.
Heh. Years ago, my Seattle-based extended family used to be amazed -- in a bad way -- that I relied on transit. I never really understood why they thought I was crazy, until I told them that the buses I relied on ran every 9-10 minutes.

(Out in Vancouver's burbs, the frequencies are more like 20-60 minutes, of course. It's not all roses.)

I live in LA now, still carfree. It's not perfect, but honestly, LA's transit right now isn't terrible. The key thing about LA is that it is freaking huge and that would strain any transit system. Having hooked up LA's main system to Nextbus - so you can get actual GPS-aided next bus estimates - is so helpful.

That said, I really hate it when regions have multiple independent transit agencies. LA has its MTA, Culver City, Santa Monica, LADOT, DASH, etc run systems. I've lived in the Bay Area briefly and I hated the fragmentation there too. (SF Muni seemed OK in my occasional visits; the South Bay's VTA was awful for frequency. Caltrain was not nearly as frequent as BART, but it was the only game in town to get from the South Bay to SF.)

What's even more amazing is that unlike most of the massive Euro and NA systems (London, Paris, NYC), Seoul's subway system is really young, having opened up in the 70s. All those other massive systems have at least 70 years on it.

And it's DIRT CHEAP to ride.
I visited Shanghai in 2010 and the subway system was quite extensive -- I think -- and incredibly new. To be honest, it's a little scary how fast they built all those lines.

I'm in Richmond Hill, so just north of Toronto. The first paragraph is a long rant, so you can skip to the nicer second paragraph if you want :p

The YRT goes on strike way too often. I'm sure many have heard of our 4 month strike earlier this year, which was in the dead of winter. Stupid (yes, stupid) picketing bus drivers decided to ruin our lives and buses which were supposed to come every 15 minutes came unpredictably once about every 2 hours. My attendance in my morning classes dropped from a perfect attendance to about 70% absence/lates. One of the most frustrating experiences of my life. Dumbass picketers, chairmen and the politicians at Queen's Park who sat on their warm cozy asses all day and did absolutely nothing to speed up talks, while my ass was out there freezing in -15C weather waiting 1 hour for a bus that's suppose to come every 15 minutes. I got my aunt to drive me a lot of days, or I took a taxi but a lot of days there weren't any options so I froze my ass off or decided to sleep in.

Anyways, other than that, the YRT is great. I love VIVA (our BRT system), and the other buses can take you anywhere in the city. My main gripe is price ($120/month for adults), and frequency of service. The latter can be almost as bad as one bus every 45 minutes on off-peak hours. I've even fainted because of heat exhaustion before because it would take less time to walk than wait for a bus, but that's not advisable in 40C weather.

Compared to Toronto, IMO other than frequencies, we beat you guys in a lot of categories. Our drivers are more polite, the buses are cleaner, everything is automated, the VIVA is awesome, the buses are more likely to be on time (and there's an actual schedule, not "the bus comes every 10 minutes") and they're less crowded so it's a more pleasant experience.

As for subways, the TTC was supposed to expand the Yonge line to Richmond Hill but like everything with TTC, it's too good to be true and it gets cancelled and brought up again all the time. The Spadina extension to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre looks more definite, but I don't live anywhere near there, and neither does most of York Region, so I'll still be taking Finch Station for my Toronto trips.

What I like most about YRT is that it DOES appear to get better every year, unlike our friends to the South (Toronto) which looks like it's has only got worse compared to even 30 years ago, let alone last year :p

zoku88

This is the transit of my city:

Actually, I'm kidding, there's more than that, but transit in San Jose sucks. It's more like a huge suburb.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Seeing a lot of new GTA / Toronto members, you guys should hop into the Toronto-Age thread if you ever feel like talking about the city.

I live in LA now, still carfree. It's not perfect, but honestly, LA's transit right now isn't terrible. The key thing about LA is that it is freaking huge and that would strain any transit system. Having hooked up LA's main system to Nextbus - so you can get actual GPS-aided next bus estimates - is so helpful.

NextBus has improved my experience with the TTC's service by leaps and bounds. Being able to know when streetcars are backed up and it's going to be 20 minutes, so I don't cook in the sun / freeze in the snow, and actually knowing when I should leave the apartment to catch a bus.

It's always amusing to see people check the schedules at 501 stops too, because no streetcar is going to be close to schedule most of the time. It's just a crap shoot, so thank god for GPS.

Flash

NextBus has improved my experience with the TTC's service by leaps and bounds. Being able to know when streetcars are backed up and it's going to be 20 minutes, so I don't cook in the sun / freeze in the snow, and actually knowing when I should leave the apartment to catch a bus.

It's always amusing to see people check the schedules at 501 stops too, because no streetcar is going to be close to schedule most of the time. It's just a crap shoot, so thank god for GPS.

YES! this has made TTC a lot more tolerable.

SolKane

In Austin there's a bus system and the commuter rail line. I use the commuter rail line pretty frequently because I live in a suburban hell-hole and use it to get downtown rather than drive. That said, unless you live near one of the stations and only ever need to get downtown, it's fairly useless for most people. For instance, if your destination is a few miles from one of the stations you don't have much recourse but to drive because the bus system may not cover your route. I can't speak much to the bus system but I hear it's not so great either. Transit here is a fairly sad offering for what pretends to be a progressive city.

mujun

I live in Japan so of course the public transport is kick ass.

Osaka
http://flic.kr/p/B9dpX

Price - Decent for the most part. From a suburb to the city will cost you around 250-300 yen.
Timeliness - Close to perfect. Unlike the public transport in Brisbane, Australia where I lived most of my life the trains are almost on time to the minute.
Coverage - Look at the map. Pretty much every part of the city is covered.

As far as for when you are actually on the transport (be it a bus or train) it is generally very good apart from rush hour (which is too crowded). People leave each other alone (you aren't going to get harassed), it's heated or air conditioned as required and most people don't make much noise. About the worst thing you have to put up with is some smelly salary man falling asleep on your shoulder.

sangreal

I live in the suburbs so fuck no. We have a bus that takes us to nyc but the last bus home is at 12:45. same with train. intracity is complete shit. If I want to stay out late (as I usually do) and not drive (due to drinking) I have to take a taxi from the path for $50+

Brisbane transport.

Cost: one of the most expensive in the world. 20 minute bus fare into the city is $7 (one way) for an adult. Prices rise 15% each year because fuck you.
Quality: Varies. Buses to the city tend to run on time, buses home sometimes don't come during peak hour (about 1 in 3 ever shows up between 5 and 7 pm). This leads to over crowding. If you are waiting at any bus stop after the second one don't expect to get on until after peak hour finishes.
Train stations are empty. I waited at central station for a train for 20 minutes and only one train came. ONE. at the busiest station in the city!

Brisbane transport.

Cost: one of the most expensive in the world. 20 minute bus fare into the city is $7 (one way) for an adult. Prices rise 15% each year because fuck you.
Quality: Varies. Buses to the city tend to run on time, buses home sometimes don't come during peak hour (about 1 in 3 ever shows up between 5 and 7 pm). This leads to over crowding. If you are waiting at any bus stop after the second one don't expect to get on until after peak hour finishes.
Train stations are empty. I waited at central station for a train for 20 minutes and only one train came. ONE. at the busiest station in the city!

You sir (ma'am), have won this thread, I think. Seriously, that's nuts... specifically the price.

DART Rail is currently the most advanced in Texas:
dartrailmapjun2011large.gif

The bad thing about Dart is that it cannot expand further into the southern cities, due to local taxing laws.
and lol at Houston, wtf happened there.

I blame white flight.Most of places of interest have been sent up north to Whiteyville.All the good paying jobs are located in the suburbs that DART doesn't cover.What a misusecof tranit funds.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Im in Boston. Every bus is 10 minutes late, every train is 20 minutes late, train operators take extreme joy in purposely waiting 3 minutes after their scheduled departure time, watching everyone getting off the late buses, watch people run all the way around the train station to get to the train yard, then leave once the front of the line is about 10 feet away from the turnstile.

EVERY DAY.

The MBTA should be destroyed.

I agree. the Green line and Red line are always late.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Brisbane transport.

7$ for a one way trip? What the fuck?

Flash

I live in Japan so of course the public transport is kick ass.

Osaka
http://flic.kr/p/B9dpX

Price - Decent for the most part. From a suburb to the city will cost you around 250-300 yen.
Timeliness - Close to perfect. Unlike the public transport in Brisbane, Australia where I lived most of my life the trains are almost on time to the minute.
Coverage - Look at the map. Pretty much every part of the city is covered.

As far as for when you are actually on the transport (be it a bus or train) it is generally very good apart from rush hour (which is too crowded). People leave each other alone (you aren't going to get harassed), it's heated or air conditioned as required and most people don't make much noise. About the worst thing you have to put up with is some smelly salary man falling asleep on your shoulder.

... is that all a subway?

jb1234

7$ for a one way trip? What the fuck?

Wikipedia: The use of urban public transport [in Brisbane] is still only a small component of total passenger transport, the largest component being travel by private car.

Yeah, you don't say...

Atenhaus

Yes, Skytrain absolutely should run later in the night. But that said, I was largely satisfied with Vancouver's transit for coverage and frequency.

Heh. Years ago, my Seattle-based extended family used to be amazed -- in a bad way -- that I relied on transit. I never really understood why they thought I was crazy, until I told them that the buses I relied on ran every 9-10 minutes.

(Out in Vancouver's burbs, the frequencies are more like 20-60 minutes, of course. It's not all roses.)

That said, I really hate it when regions have multiple independent transit agencies. LA has its MTA, Culver City, Santa Monica, LADOT, DASH, etc run systems. I've lived in the Bay Area briefly and I hated the fragmentation there too. (SF Muni seemed OK in my occasional visits; the South Bay's VTA was awful for frequency. Caltrain was not nearly as frequent as BART, but it was the only game in town to get from the South Bay to SF.)

I visited Shanghai in 2010 and the subway system was quite extensive -- I think -- and incredibly new. To be honest, it's a little scary how fast they built all those lines.

That's my biggest qualm with Seattle's transit system, at it is served by three separate transit agencies. Sound Transit runs the intercity bus, commuter rail, and light rail service. King County Metro runs the local busses within Seattle and its suburbs, and Community Transit runs some commuter service from Everett into Seattle (and I don't know why). Sound Transit needs to become something akin to Translink, and handle all transit service in the Seattle Metro.

since i have already made my love for new york's system clear, i guess ill post my thoughts on other systems that i know.

hong kongs is really good. trains come constantly, they are new and clean, and there is good coverage.
tokyos is awesome. i would say its coverage of the city itself is comparable to new yorks, though the cities are very different shapes so its tough to tell exactly. tokyo destroys new york when it comes to getting outside the city though. either getting to suburbs or getting to other japanese cities on public transit, japan is way better than the us.
the cheapest i have ever been on is in cairo.
bostons pisses me off. one of the great things about new yorks is that when you leave a yankee game there will be a 4 train waiting to get the 50k people home. in boston you leave a celtics game and two dinky cars show up 20 minutes later. also too much of bostons is above ground so it can have traffic issues. also the red sox suck.
most european cities i have been to have pretty good systems, they just tend to be expensive.

one of the great things about new yorks that is pretty rare in most cities is that the trains run all night. any system that runs all night is almost automatically better than any one that doesnt.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I live in Fargo, ND, and with very few exceptions it's pretty much mandatory to own a car here. My drive to work is 25 minutes. It would take me 2.5 hours on a bus. Seriously.

Kad5

I live in Atlanta which has some of the worst public transit i've seen in the country. If you live in the suburbs or further out around here you pretty much are required to own a car to get most places.

Traffic around here is terrible as well. The main issue is that Atlanta is very spread out. It's not a dense area at all.

RailMap030210-interactive.jpg

The closest MARTA station to me is North Springs which is about a 18-20 minute drive away. Otherwise i'll just drive into the city and hope there isn't traffic.

MARTA is also the only transit of its kind in the country that isn't funded by its state government. It's only funded by two counties and it's honestly very undefended. They struggle to get by.

Talon

Chicago's is great. NYC is obviously the class of this country, but I'd put us at second - including the DC metro.

Trains are relatively comprehensive - reaching the North, South and Western regions. For everything else, we have a little under 200 bus lines. You can get to either airport from downtown in 35-50 minutes on a train. $2.25 for train and $2.00 for buses with two transfers within two hours. $.25 for the first transfer and second transfer is free. $86 unlimited and there are weekly and 3-day passes available.

Only complaint I have is that there's no super direct way to get from the North side to the West side. You can take Fullerton/Diversey/whatnot -> Ashland, I suppose. They've built new tracks in the West Loop (think NYC's meat packing district circa 2004), and I'm sure it'll get better as that area gentrifi...err..."develops."

It's hilarious how the different lines have varying levels of cleanliness. You can (joking for the most part) eat off the floor of a Brown line train. They're finally rolling out these newer trains.

We also have the Metra rail, a high speed commuter train that services the suburbs - Union Station for the south suburbs, Ogilvie for the north suburbs. They do constantly have delays - random track issues and maintenance reasons.

In terms of the workers, CTA workers and conductors. I've talked to have been super friendly and helpful.

I'm actually an Atlanta native, so I'll add to the bitching about Marta. Ever since '96, there's always been talk about adding high speed lines from the suburbs. Of course, some assnuts in the state legislature went with the "...BU...BUT...BUT...THE "PEOPLE" DOWNTOWN CAN COME OUT TO THE SUBURBS EASILY AND THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN." message to kill it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom