• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trenched / Iron Brigade |OT| of Analog Salutes.. oh and Mechs

Teknoman

Aaron said:
Splitscreen or no? That's the difference between a must have and a pass for me.

It's great fun, but it's even better with friends. Apart a small amount of (hopefully easily patched) lag I experienced during the course of playing the game for this review, the multiplayer component of Trenched is top-notch. It is online only, however, as there's no option for local split-screen play. That aside, there's something really neat about gathering on the deck of the carrier with three buddies, discussing the coming mission and what role you'll each play in it -- then customizing your Trenches to match. Teamwork in battle is paramount in this game. Scrap collected is shared, but each player can then spend their cache as they see fit without it draining funds from other players. This leads to frantic scrap collecting in-between enemy waves, then a constant back-and-forth during combat about who can deploy which emplacement and where. It's very challenging, but also extremely engaging.

Making it better is a unique system that tracks the individual progress of the last three people you played with and levels up your "regiment" goals (X number of artillery kills, etc.) even when you're not online. Meeting the goals rewards cash and other unlocks, making this otherwise extraneous feature an incredibly compelling rewards system.

-Joystiq review.

HBroward said:
I really am hyped for this after watching the quick look. There are far too few co-op tower defense games. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Sanctum and Pixeljunk Monsters, which added it in the PSP version I believe.

Give Monday Night Combat a go, it's great.

ezekial45

Banned
So is this like Armored Core level customization, or just swapping out a few chase chassis', weapons, and colors palettes.

Aaron

Teknoman said:
It's great fun, but it's even better with friends. Apart a small amount of (hopefully easily patched) lag I experienced during the course of playing the game for this review, the multiplayer component of Trenched is top-notch. It is online only, however, as there's no option for local split-screen play.

Thanks. Screw this game then. People still have friends in the same room, Double Fine.

Gowans

Totally in the mood for this but I wonder how it differentiates itself from the other games in this new genre that is on XBLA like Toy Soldiers and Monday Night Combat.

KuroNeeko

piratepwnsninja said:
Anyone going to be up for co-op? my GT is my GAF name, so add me if you're interested.

Yeah! I'll send an invite tonight when I get home. My GT is also the same as my GAF name.

GT: KuroNeeko
Region: JST

Teknoman said:
So...GAF Mobile Trenched Brigade list?

Do it, mayne!

Teknoman

Going to have to play the demo first of course, but hopefully someone sets up a tag for invites.

EDIT: If no one else does it by a little after release, i'll make it.

...also if the music isnt working out/it has no music, i've got a playlist from Chromehounds back in the day waiting to be put back into use lol.

soultron

Banned
ezekial45 said:
So is this like Armored Core level customization, or just swapping out a few chase chassis', weapons, and colors palettes.
Well, it's hard to say. Customization seems very fleshed out from what I've seen, but the focus is gearing your mech towards either turret emplacement (strategy focus) or a pure weapon load out (shooter focus). Your parts determine access to different classes of parts and how many you can carry.

Hard to explain, but watching the previously mentioned Giant Bomb quick look (~45 minutes!) will detail everything really well.

Gowans007 said:
Totally in the mood for this but I wonder how it differentiates itself from the other games in this new genre that is on XBLA like Toy Soldiers and Monday Night Combat.

It has mechs!! (and analog salute)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
"Analog Salutes" refer to the fact that the Salutes are controlled by the pressure sensitivity of the L and R triggers. Thus, you can vary the animation degree of a "salute" animation. In essence, it makes one salute acts like multiple ones, since you can vary it's look.

Anywho, this game does look crazy awesome, the loot sounds like so much more than I'd expect from a game of this type. Wish it had splitscreen, of course, but I can understand it's abscence, if it would have hampered the game engine. The GB QL (why are those things called "Quick"?) really showed off how many options the mech customizations have to offer, and I like how varied the parts appear to be.

I'll probably first aim to make the most accurate recreation of a VHT-1 Spartas Veritech Hovertank I can, and go from there... :lol:

Neki

I want to buy this, it looks nice, but I don't want to buy xbox live. tough decisions. xD don't think playing by myself would be that fun.

dejay

Banned
Didn't even know about this game until a couple of days ago. Looks great - I like tower defense games, but I don't like not being able to do anything while I wait for my money/power to charge up enough for me to build more towers. It's also the best looking mech camera perspective I've seen in a game, and probably the sweet spot for me in terms of the balance between casual arcade and simulation gameplay. The upgrades look fun, it's got loot and analogue salute. I look forward to checking out the demo.

Ultimoo said:
I want to buy this, it looks nice, but I don't want to buy xbox live. tough decisions. xD don't think playing by myself would be that fun.

You can get gold cheap enough - it's like $4 a month. I pay more than that for a coffee that I drink within ten minutes. Value's in the eye of the buyer, but I wouldn't say that's unreasonable.

I'm glad I rediscovered this game as I hadn't really heard much from it since it was announced. Pretty excited for it now. Looking forward to playing it tomorrow! Wish Double Fine could pour more of their awesomeness into other projects like this rather than Sesame Street Kinect.

I want to play this...but no local co-op is kinda bumming me out (planned on playing it with my girlfriend, we'd have a blast with something like this)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
NinajHeartless said:
I want to play this...but no local co-op is kinda bumming me out (planned on playing it with my girlfriend, we'd have a blast with something like this)
Very same reason I'm bailing out. We needed another co-op game after finishing up Borderlands.

NinajHeartless said:
If you want local co-op tower defense, I can't recommend Protect-Me Knight off XBLIG enough.

_dementia said:
If you want local co-op tower defense, I can't recommend Protect-Me Knight off XBLIG enough.

We played this game before and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the suggestion though, _dementia!

Guess we just wait until the new EDF game comes out for co-op goodness

Lyphen said:
Very same reason I'm bailing out. We needed another co-op game after finishing up Borderlands.

We have played through Bprderlands about three times, haha (and I count going through both playthrough 1 and 2 as equal to a single playthrough o_O). That game is so much fun but I don't know if I can go through it again!

Hey Gearbox! Why didn't you show Borderlands 2 at E3 instead of that weird bastardization of the Brothers in Arms franchise?! >:/

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
_dementia said:

QFT!! Fantastic Co-Op fun, and they patched in a survival mode, which gives it limitless replay value, beyond the fun of going through the story mode, and leveling up each character differently each time.

Here's the link, as it's kinda hard to find on marketplace, due to being listed under it's Japanese name (まもって騎士):

(Thread derail complete, we now return you to your western-made mecha tower defense loot collecting shooter/giant battleship hanger salute sim, already in progress)

EDIT: (Oh well, even if NinjaHeartless has already played before... game deserves a bit of promo, hehe)

ToyMachine228 said:
How do we enter? Just follow you on Twitter?

If you follow our Twitter account we'll be giving away codes in various ways throughout the week. It'll either be a simple "Retweet this to win" or a little trivia contest.

Gowans

We will defo need a Gaf gamertag for friends of friends for that Roster feature that shares progress with the last ten gamers you've played coop with.

I'll add it to the op if someone does it, can't wait tonplay tomoz.

derFeef

Get your horns ready.

4e27b7e3.gif

mjc

I need something to fill the hole left behind by Chromehounds/Mech Assault. Definitely worth a looksie tomorrow when it goes up.

DaBuddaDa

Neuromancer said:
Plus it's Double Fine so I'm sure there will be some decent DLC down the road.
Each has followed the pattern of release -> 2 month wait -> one DLC pack. I'd guess the same for this, a big DLC pack of some sort out sometime in mid-to-late-August.

derFeef

SapientWolf said:
Can you find new salutes in loot (saloot?)
Clever.

I do not think the loot is randomized, though. At least it looked like canned stuff in the quicklook. So probably do not get overly excited about the loot aspect.

soultron

Banned
mjc said:
I need something to fill the hole left behind by Chromehounds/Mech Assault. Definitely worth a looksie tomorrow when it goes up.
This is not a competitive multiplayer combat game. Sorry to get your hopes up.

It's a tower defense game in which you can move around the environment and aid your emplacements by using your onboard weaponry. All of this can be done cooperatively with three other players.

Raide

mjc said:

Armoured Core V should fill that gap. Trenched is a whole different game.

Double D

This thread is the first I've really acknowledged this game. I hate tower defense games (with the exception of my love for gemcraft), so having that as one of the main bullet points isn't giving me the greatest opinion from the start. Hopefully the demo is decent.

Vik_Vaughn said:
This thread is the first I've really acknowledged this game. I hate tower defense games (with the exception of my love for gemcraft), so having that as one of the main bullet points isn't giving me the greatest opinion from the start. Hopefully the demo is decent.
If you hate tower defense games I don't think this game is for you.

Top Bottom