• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trepang2 is the most most fun FPS I’ve played since RoboCop Rogue City

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
True story. This shit is fucking AWESOME. The deluxe edition is on sale now on PSN for $21.

I don’t know what it is with these small teams and nailing that heavy shooting feel on top of orgasmically satisfying bullet time, but holy shit. This truly feels like a combo of Starbreeze’s Syndicate and the original FEAR. And Black. The debris and particle effects are 👌🏼

Subject 106 is a prisoner of the Horizon corporation, a global business entity that wields a large amount of military personnel while hiding inhumane experiments behind their doors. After gaining the assistance of the mysterious Taskforce 27, who 106 once worked for, he escapes the facility and does so by killing the vast majority of the Horizon personnel.

Don’t sleep on this one guys. It’s insanely good.

7U7ke8n.jpeg

RoE2x3u.jpeg
6CVQiu3.jpeg
bx9wEDh.jpeg
ML3YreS.jpeg

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Tried the demo before release. It was very good, but then I read that it's the best part of the game and lost interest lol.

Interested on reading your thoughts once you've beaten the game OP.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Rogue City isn't even that old though.

Reminds of when people are telling you something like "Yeah, it was a long time ago" and then you ask what year, and they're like "it was late 2020".

Sarcastic Mixed Martial Arts GIF by UFC

Yeah but Rogue City was the best FPS I had played since prob Doom 2016. I can’t help it that blowing fuckers away is just as satisfying.

Bravo on them.

XXL

I've almost bought it like 20 times on Steam.

I'll pick it up one day, it looks like Fear mixed with Hong Kong Massacre.

wipeout364

Robocop is amazing; if you are a fan of Robocop 1 and 2 you will love it. Not sure if it would be quite as satisfying if you weren’t.

Trepang is great but does suffer a bit on console due to using a controller and the speed of the game. Still good but a bit frustrating in places.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
You're one of my favorite members here mate so I respect your opinion, and I've been on the fence about this one. Sounds like a proper old school PC game and you've sold me.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I don't know, i played it for an hour. And it was fun at first and reminded me of Fear. But then it got really boring really fast.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I don't know, i played it for an hour. And it was fun at first and reminded me of Fear. But then it got really boring really fast.

Hasn’t been boring to me yet. You go from level to level. No cinematic melodramatic bullshit. A nice main hub in between to add attachments to weaponry. Additional “sidequests” that are wave based multi floor battles (but somehow I find them thrilling)

It’s your cliche “human Gov weapon unleashed, but with a gun” story but fuck it. I love stuff like this.

They nailed the flow of fighting in real time to build up bullet time, then slow down, then back to normal, then slow down.

Im fucking impressed man. Gotta support small teams pulling shit off like this. Good on Team17 for picking this up.

hBR3H0m.jpeg

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Never heard of it.. but I guess now I’m buying robocop? Is it really that good

Its good but if you're a Robo fan you will love it. I gave up on Trepang after that stupid monster battle. #notmyfear

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Yeah but Rogue City was the best FPS I had played since prob Doom 2016. I can’t help it that blowing fuckers away is just as satisfying.

Bravo on them.

I bought it recently for PS5, but haven't started playing it yet.

I'll probably rewatch the films before starting it.

I got it and Robocop last year. Still havent worked them in yet. I really need to get on that.

Robocop is amazing; if you are a fan of Robocop 1 and 2 you will love it. Not sure if it would be quite as satisfying if you weren’t.

Trepang is great but does suffer a bit on console due to using a controller and the speed of the game. Still good but a bit frustrating in places.

Never heard of it.. but I guess now I’m buying robocop? Is it really that good

Listen boys, I respect people's opinions (and Chuck's) but
got burnt by GAF overhyping Robocop, I just found it to be a miserable experience, worst 50 Eurodollars I spent in the last 3-4 years.

- Terrible, sims-like character models and animations.Shit's horrible, it's what a 3D modeller intern would come out with.

- Absolutely boring and lacklustre shooting, no matter the number of on-screen gibs.No "feeling" and feedback when shooting enemies.

- Visual bugs ahoy : pop-in galore, characters vanishing out of thin air during cutscenes, weird colored pixels (bad GPU effect during cutscenes).

- Lackluster performance on consoles with some H-E-A-V-Y slowdowns/framerate drops during some battles to the point of.not being able to shoot/aim properly, it was THAT bad (slaughterhouse level comes to mind).

- only 3 types of enemies

- The game is basically a sandbox pseudo RPG and not a FPS, I expected balls to the walls action, what I got was slowly walking from stupid objective to stupid objective collecting shit with some shooting bits in-between.

- Zero atmosphere (for some reason)

- Terrible soundtrack and the few times the OG theme kicks in is completely unearned.

Just a motherfucking slog of a game, don't fall for the nostalgia.

If I were to describe it in 2 words it would be "completely amateurish".

Robocop should be played either via a sub service or, when it's 15 Eurodollars tops during a sale (not even 20).

Either way, I'm not gonna give them another dime.

Haven't played Trepang but putting it alongside Robocop, for me at least, doesn't do it any favours.

Just.my opinion obviously, cheers.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I agree with Giallo Corsa Giallo Corsa , the praise Robocop got is baffling to me.

The power of the license is one thing, but the action is merely OK, the other stuff (which is most of the game)...? Looking for a lost cat? Searching for a VHS to rent? Looking for cars to put parking tickets on...? Eh.

A boring slog, indeed.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I agree with Giallo Corsa Giallo Corsa , the praise Robocop got is baffling to me.

The power of the license is one thing, but the action is merely OK, the other stuff (which is most of the game)...? Looking for a lost cat? Searching for a VHS to rent? Looking for cars to put parking tickets on...? Eh.

A boring slog, indeed.

this.so.much.this.

I don't know what I expected and since I'm a fan of the movies I grabbed it...one of the few games in my gaming career that actually made me doze off - there's way more slowly walking, collecting shit and giving parking tickets than actually shooting bad guys, the combat to exploration ratio is heavily skewed towards the former to the point that it becomes a slog, there's just no fun in it , it's just a joyless game where you're going through the motions until the credits roll.

Awful stuff, it's a 5/10 game for me personally and I've found other mediocre and budget games like Wanted Dead better than this - at least I had some fun with that ffs.

Last edited:

Darko

this.so.much.this.

I don't know what I expected and since I'm a fan of the movies I grabbed it...one of the few games in my gaming career that actually made me doze off - there's way more slowly walking, collecting shit and giving parking tickets than actually shooting bad guys, the combat to exploration ratio is heavily skewed towards the former to the point that it becomes a slog, there's just no fun in it , it's just a joyless game where you're going through the motions until the credits roll.

Awful stuff, it's a 5/10 game for me personally and I've found other mediocre and budget games like Wanted Dead better than this - at least I had some fun with that ffs.
Guess who’s not buying it lol.. I was hyped cause of the license but it sounds boring

Edit: wish there was a demo

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Haven't played either of them yet, but among FPS fans neither one is all that highly regarded. They're treated as basically just OK games.

Last edited:

Denton

Robocop is fucking fantastic (PC version maxed out) and Trepang2 has been on my wishlist for a while, I might just pick it up already.

True story. This shit is fucking AWESOME. The deluxe edition is on sale now on PSN for $21.

I don’t know what it is with these small teams and nailing that heavy shooting feel on top of orgasmically satisfying bullet time, but holy shit. This truly feels like a combo of Starbreeze’s Syndicate and the original FEAR. And Black. The debris and particle effects are 👌🏼

Don’t sleep on this one guys. It’s insanely good.

7U7ke8n.jpeg

RoE2x3u.jpeg
6CVQiu3.jpeg
bx9wEDh.jpeg
ML3YreS.jpeg
Sounds fantastic. I'm a sucker for slow-mo action. I've already heard good things about it. Its definitely a game that appeals me.

Last edited:

phant0m

got burnt by GAF overhyping Robocop, I just found it to be a miserable experience, worst 50 Eurodollars I spent in the last 3-4 years.

- Terrible, sims-like character models and animations.Shit's horrible, it's what a 3D modeller intern would come out with.

- Absolutely boring and lacklustre shooting, no matter the number of on-screen gibs.No "feeling" and feedback when shooting enemies.

- Visual bugs ahoy : pop-in galore, characters vanishing out of thin air during cutscenes, weird colored pixels (bad GPU effect during cutscenes).

- Lackluster performance on consoles with some H-E-A-V-Y slowdowns/framerate drops during some battles to the point of.not being able to shoot/aim properly, it was THAT bad (slaughterhouse level comes to mind).

- The game is basically a sandbox pseudo RPG and not a FPS, I expected balls to the walls action, what I got was slowly walking from stupid objective to stupid objective collecting shit with some shooting bits in-between.

- Terrible soundtrack and the few times the OG theme kicks in is completely unearned.

Robocop should be played either via a sub service or, when it's 15 Eurodollars tops during a sale (not even 20).

Haven't played Trepang but putting it alongside Robocop, for me at least, doesn't do it any favours.

Couldn’t disagree more, RoboCop was an absolute banger. And I’m not nostalgic for it, I actually watched the movie for the first time after beating it.

And OP do checkout Selaco like a few others have said

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Wait till you try SELACO then

Liked Trepang2 well enough as a FEAR tribute, thought Robocop was fine at best. But man, SELACO blew me alway with its game-feel. This felt like the mid-2000s shooter I needed.

Looks good, hopefully it isn’t a fucken rogue like!

wipeout364

I would disagree with the majority of your points. I don’t remember any technical issues that were so glaring. I don’t argue with your experience but to me the game 100% captured the feeling of Robocop right down to the lack of feedback and slow movement you mentioned which I interpreted as being a cyborg. The story was great and captured the goofy universe of Robocop with its police strikes, corporate sabotage of the police force and the little parts where Robocop interacts with the community. I always give the caveat with this game that your mileage may vary depending on your fondness of Robocop and his world in the first movie.

tylrdiablos

I finished this game about 2 months ago (pc).
It's a decent shooter but it really does out-stay its welcome. Some of the later levels just feel like the devs got bored and just started throwing in wave after wave of enemies.
There's not a lot of variety in the weapons and there's no ability to aim down the sights.

That being said; I did have some mindless fun with it and hope there's a (more fleshed out) sequel on the way.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's close to the top of my list for when I finally replace my computer - I've wanted to play the game for a looooooong time.

Top Bottom