• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Frontier |OT| It's portable Trials

Thrak360

Neo Member
I don't know, my slots are like level 4? I've spun it maybe 15 times in the three or four days I was playing, and got 1k once and 2k once, and then nickels and dimes after that. But beyond that, I don't even know what surplus means in this context. Like you are waiting on the upgrade timers, or waiting on fuel for parts, because there almost literally seems to be no end to the amount of coins you need in this game. For example, for Zeth to max out his new Mantis (from the RedLynx forums):

Haha, this is like a thousand dollar game.
Hopefully there's a 50% off sale in our future...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't know, my slots are like level 4? I've spun it maybe 15 times in the three or four days I was playing, and got 1k once and 2k once, and then nickels and dimes after that. But beyond that, I don't even know what surplus means in this context. Like you are waiting on the upgrade timers, or waiting on fuel for parts, because there almost literally seems to be no end to the amount of coins you need in this game. For example, for Zeth to max out his new Mantis (from the RedLynx forums):

Haha, this is like a thousand dollar game.
Surplus as in, I don't need to upgrade. Upgrade when you need to, not just because it should be your #1 priority. Everything else comes down to refining riding techniques. Also, slots and quest prizes increase over time.

For reference, I'm level 25 now and my Tango is 3/4/5/4 (and I've finally received a mission where I need another upgrade), my Jackal is 5/5/6/5, and my Mantis is 2/2. There's a severe difficulty spike around the time you first get the Jackal, but the game gets easier.

I think the real grind has started for me now. Need 3 level 4 parts to upgrade the garage so I can build tier III bikes. General problem in game design where you get bottlenecked in terms of quest opportunities.

Played this for maybe 30min to an hour. Plays pretty well and I surprisingly haven't hit any energy/gem/time barriers yet.

Maybe it's just because I only play for 15-20mins at a time, but it's been pretty great so far. No doubt that stuff will ramp up sooner or later, but for now it's going quite well.

see5harp

Played this for maybe 30min to an hour. Plays pretty well and I surprisingly haven't hit any energy/gem/time barriers yet.

Maybe it's just because I only play for 15-20mins at a time, but it's been pretty great so far. No doubt that stuff will ramp up sooner or later, but for now it's going quite well.

Personally I don't think the refueling or waiting for upgrades is nearly as bad as most F2P games. As long as you don't plan on sitting and playing for hours like a traditional hardcore gamer might, it's a very good representation of the core gameplay of the Trials games. Getting better times and doing quick races at work or sitting on the toilet is awesome.

Personally I don't think the refueling or waiting for upgrades is nearly as bad as most F2P games. As long as you don't plan on sitting and playing for hours like a traditional hardcore gamer might, it's a very good representation of the core gameplay of the Trials games. Getting better times and doing quick races at work or sitting on the toilet is awesome.

Yeah, the only other game with this type of "fuel/wait" mechanic I've played was Tiny Towers Star Wars, and that game bored me nearly instantaneously. Every small action seemed to have such a long wait time.

Didn't help that the core gameplay of building the tower and moving people with the elevator was incredibly boring to me as well, haha.

And if I DO hit a paywall that irritates me, I've still got a huge amount of Trials Evolution and HD that I never got around to completing.

Lima

Any word on the android release for this? I'd like to play it just to unlock shit in Fusion.

It's not quick by any means to unlock the stuff for Fusion. It's incredibly hard to gold these tracks in Frontiers. I got one with a good amount of upgrades on the Tango. The other two? Fuck no. You need to completely upgrade the bike.

To people wanting to just unlock stuff for Fusion, you are going to have to fork over a handful of money, or play for 20+ hours o the game (plus days of waiting in between). Some bike upgrades can take 2 days to complete (or $5 if you feel like it).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
To be quite honest I think people are being pretty hyperbolic about the F2P system. It is extremely generous. For one, the game continually throws premium currency (gems) at you, and you can earn more in any place you can earn regular rewards as well. On top of they, the game throws money at you as well. The first few hours of the game you get more money thrown at you than you can spend. If you're not collecting parts and buying parts outright, that's your fault. If you're wasting gems on anything but respins for quest items, that's also your fault. If your main goal is to pump upgrades into your bike until you get a free-win scenario (some games you can manage this) for the rest of the game, you're willingly pursuing a grind that is not necessary. I don't think it's nearly as grind-heavy or upgrade-heavy as y'all are claiming except for the saloon/garage upgrade stuff. Don't understand bringing up the need for real cash over and over either; few games are as generous when it comes to providing premium currency within the game period. It never makes me feel like I need to buy gems to survive.

That said, it is not meant for long play sessions, no real mobile game is because of the nature of the hardware, and as such, the fuel system isn't that much of a nuisance to me (especially considering for a good chunk of the first few levels, it's impossible to even run out of gas before level king up).

There are only two real difficulty bumps I have encountered thus far, the first was fairly early on when reaching the village; you realize you won't be able to win anything right away after trailblazing through the first few levels. Fitting, because you get introduced to the upgrade system around then. The second one is when you're chasing Butch up into the very northwest stages, where you will need to pump time and gas into upgrades and can't really blitz through using skill because you're outgunned.

Wait 'till y'all get to the player ghost challenges which are seemingly random in difficulty. Now those are roadblocks. Thankfully they're not relevant to the main story/progression.

rbanke

Anybody have an issue with your bike stopping accelerating even though you don't lift your finger off the gas button? It's happened to me multiple times now, pretty annoying...

Yes, constantly. In fact, I looked up this OT to see how widespread this was. It feels like maybe a third of my restarts are because the gas randomly decided I wasn't pressing it anymore.

To be quite honest I think people are being pretty hyperbolic about the F2P system. It is extremely generous. For one, the game continually throws premium currency (gems) at you, and you can earn more in any place you can earn regular rewards as well. On top of they, the game throws money at you as well. The first few hours of the game you get more money thrown at you than you can spend. If you're not collecting parts and buying parts outright, that's your fault. If you're wasting gems on anything but respins for quest items, that's also your fault. If your main goal is to pump upgrades into your bike until you get a free-win scenario (some games you can manage this) for the rest of the game, you're willingly pursuing a grind that is not necessary. I don't think it's nearly as grind-heavy or upgrade-heavy as y'all are claiming except for the saloon/garage upgrade stuff. Don't understand bringing up the need for real cash over and over either; few games are as generous when it comes to providing premium currency within the game period. It never makes me feel like I need to buy gems to survive.

That said, it is not meant for long play sessions, no real mobile game is because of the nature of the hardware, and as such, the fuel system isn't that much of a nuisance to me (especially considering for a good chunk of the first few levels, it's impossible to even run out of gas before level king up).

There are only two real difficulty bumps I have encountered thus far, the first was fairly early on when reaching the village; you realize you won't be able to win anything right away after trailblazing through the first few levels. Fitting, because you get introduced to the upgrade system around then. The second one is when you're chasing Butch up into the very northwest stages, where you will need to pump time and gas into upgrades and can't really blitz through using skill because you're outgunned.

Wait 'till y'all get to the player ghost challenges which are seemingly random in difficulty. Now those are roadblocks. Thankfully they're not relevant to the main story/progression.

You sound like me early on in this thread - albeit more wordy. I am just about to unlock the Mantis (4th/5th(?) bike - I dunno), and it is not hyperbolic to say the F2P system is fucked at this point.

...I am still playing, so there is good here in terms of gameplay. The F2P stuff just went of the deep end though.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
The feeling when you spend your last bit of fuel to play a level and then accidentally back out of the level and lose the last of it :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You sound like me early on in this thread - albeit more wordy. I am just about to unlock the Mantis (4th/5th(?) bike - I dunno), and it is not hyperbolic to say the F2P system is fucked at this point.

...I am still playing, so there is good here in terms of gameplay. The F2P stuff just went of the deep end though.

same. I also find it surprising to hear anyone say the game 'throws gems at you'. Maybe you've been crazy lucky with the one-arm bandit, but otherwise you rarely get given gems as part of completion of tasks, and the wheel of fortune can eat those up pretty quickly with a few unlucky spins.

When you get to needing tier 3-4 parts which needs you to fuse tons of lower spec parts together, you're basically stuck with either gems for respinning the wheel or mindlessly re-racing over and over. There isn't a quick way to progress.

I've unlocked the fusion tracks but they're still really difficult. Think I'll try and upgrade my tier 2 agile bike fully but that'll take days per level now.

Lima

same. I also find it surprising to hear anyone say the game 'throws gems at you'. Maybe you've been crazy lucky with the one-arm bandit, but otherwise you rarely get given gems as part of completion of tasks, and the wheel of fortune can eat those up pretty quickly with a few unlucky spins.

When you get to needing tier 3-4 parts which needs you to fuse tons of lower spec parts together, you're basically stuck with either gems for respinning the wheel or mindlessly re-racing over and over. There isn't a quick way to progress.

I've unlocked the fusion tracks but they're still really difficult. Think I'll try and upgrade my tier 2 agile bike fully but that'll take days per level now.

But you can't even use the Tier 2 bikes on the fusion tracks?

Initial impression is The Mantis seems like a great bike - without adding anything. Pity I used all my coins upgrading The Bronco :/

Should be the bike to use for the Fusion unlocks!

6 million downloads, Ubisoft considers the game a success. Good or bad depending on how you feel about it I guess.

Trials Frontier - the free-to-play mobile spin-off of RedLynx's physics-based bike series - has been downloaded 6m times, Ubisoft has announced.

That impressive figure was achieved in the week after it went live on the App Store on 10th April. Trials Frontier is the number one free app on the App Store in 75 countries, Ubisoft noted.

"We are thrilled with the success Trials Frontier has had in its first week of launch," said Ubisoft Mobile boss Jean-Michel Detoc, who highlighted Trials Frontier's 4.6 out of 5 stars user review score average.

"Trials Frontier has the most first week downloads of any Ubisoft mobile title to date, and the thousands of players reviews we received are amazingly positive, an achievement Redlynx and Ubisoft are proud to announce," Detoc added.

"In order to keep players engaged, we have a robust post-launch content plan including new bikes and multiplayer modes that will allow players to continue exploring and enjoying the world of Trails Frontier."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-22-ubisoft-hails-trials-frontier-as-a-free-to-play-success

mrklaw

MrArseFace
someone just pointed out to me that if you switch your ipad into airplane mode and bump the date by a week, then go back into trials, your gas will be refilled and all your garage work will be completed. Then you can go back and switch flight mode off and its fine.

That'll certainly help when I want a longer run (not spending 120 bloody gems on infinite fuel), but I'm still short of coins for upgrades now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sigh. I need 2 tier III nuts and bolts, so I'm grinding the same track 12 times and spinning the wheel...

I wonder if the ghosts are the racers from trials fusion?

Edit: now they want tier IV parts!? So 9 races to win tier II parts (basically only one track has those, so gets repetitive), x 3 parts. 27 races coming up and about 4 full tanks of fuel.. :/

It's not Portable Trials, it's Mobile Trials....and...no.

ANVIMXe.jpg

mKjlqOr.jpg

I'm not seeing a big distinction there.

ANVIMXe.jpg

mKjlqOr.jpg

I'm not seeing a big distinction there.

Mobile games is a derogatory put down in some people eyes, which I can kinda understand - and parts of Frontier does not really help put an end why people would think that.

But with the range of actually quality games on the platform(s) at this point, you'd think people would stop that shit by now. It's like my dad getting annoyed when they stop putting out albums on cassette tape.

Double D

Just spent my entire tank of fuel (again) replaying a race over and over again because I need a part from that goddamn wheel. What I'm noticing is that I'll do this a couple times (retrying for a part) only to come back later once my tank has been filled and get all the parts I need on the first run.

I've noticed you can kinda game the wheel a bit by moving the item you want to about 8 or 9 o clock (imagining the wheel as a clock) and then doing a really light spin. Does not always work, but a really light spin is almost always just below a full rotation of the wheel

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Has anyone else got the ANBA robot just sitting there with a blank face? Don't know if its supposed to be like that or if it's broken. It's always in the saloon.

I'm connected to Game Center and I've tried making sure I'm signed in to Uplay

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've noticed you can kinda game the wheel a bit by moving the item you want to about 8 or 9 o clock (imagining the wheel as a clock) and then doing a really light spin. Does not always work, but a really light spin is almost always just below a full rotation of the wheel
In my current grind for two level 5 parts (i have nightmares of The Beamery and Pipe Basin), I've been able to do it pretty consistently to round up level 2 parts. If you do it very lightly, you can make it spin under half a wheel too, though I tend to favour a full spin. It's not actually random, but the touch recognition can make it inconsistent.

Has anyone else got the ANBA robot just sitting there with a blank face? Don't know if its supposed to be like that or if it's broken. It's always in the saloon.

I'm connected to Game Center and I've tried making sure I'm signed in to Uplay
I had this happen too. Do some other missions and eventually the quest will appear.

SmokyDave

Sigh. I need 2 tier III nuts and bolts, so I'm grinding the same track 12 times and spinning the wheel...

I wonder if the ghosts are the racers from trials fusion?

Edit: now they want tier IV parts!? So 9 races to win tier II parts (basically only one track has those, so gets repetitive), x 3 parts. 27 races coming up and about 4 full tanks of fuel.. :/
I dig that the grind for parts can be frustrating, but how else would they monetise the game? If it was structured like a traditional Trials game, you'd blow through all of the content in two days and never even feel tempted to spend a penny.

I'm alright with the grind, so far. I'm not fussed about doing the same tracks over and over because I just enjoy the act of controlling the trials bike, and there's always room to improve my times. I've spent a fiver so far (the intro pack at £1.99 because I wanted the badass paint job, and £2.99 on gems to ease the wheel of misfortune). I feel like I'm ahead on the ol' entertainment-to-quids ratio.

That said, I'm only playing the game in 10-15 minute bursts throughout the day. I haven't emptied my fuel tank entirely since the first day.

Lima

I dig that the grind for parts can be frustrating, but how else would they monetise the game? If it was structured like a traditional Trials game, you'd blow through all of the content in two days and never even feel tempted to spend a penny.

They could have just made it a paid download. I would have happily paid $10 for the game.

koene

Just spent my entire tank of fuel (again) replaying a race over and over again because I need a part from that goddamn wheel. What I'm noticing is that I'll do this a couple times (retrying for a part) only to come back later once my tank has been filled and get all the parts I need on the first run.

You know you can refill the tank just by changing the time on your iPhone or iPad. Doesn't work for upgrades though, but at least you can play the game as long as you want.

Anyways, as a huge Trials fan, I think the game is an absolute insult to the franchise. Defend the game all you want, but sooner or later you'll realise this has nothing to do with the pc/console counterparts. Skill has nothing to do with it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm alright with the grind, so far. I'm not fussed about doing the same tracks over and over because I just enjoy the act of controlling the trials bike, and there's always room to improve my times. I've spent a fiver so far (the intro pack at £1.99 because I wanted the badass paint job, and £2.99 on gems to ease the wheel of misfortune). I feel like I'm ahead on the ol' entertainment-to-quids ratio.

That said, I'm only playing the game in 10-15 minute bursts throughout the day. I haven't emptied my fuel tank entirely since the first day.

I'd pay for it.

I don't mind the occasional grind, but now they want Tier V parts, which means doing The Beamery and Pipe Basin 27 times each. No gold medal needed, no challenge - I'm just numbly going through the motions.

If they had more tracks with tier II parts I could try, it would at least add variety. But I think there are literally only those tracks I can use - over and over again.

SmokyDave

They could have just made it a paid download. I would have happily paid $10 for the game.
I'd have paid £20 for a Vita version, same as I would for the GTA games, Asphalt 8, Modern Combat 4 etc etc..

That ain't the world we live in though. The money-men have almost certainly run the numbers and figured out that they'll make more cash this way. You'd have paid $10 for it, but would you have paid $20? $30? $60?

It fucking sucks that it has to be this way, but that's business.

I'd pay for it.

I don't mind the occasional grind, but now they want Tier V parts, which means doing The Beamery and Pipe Basin 27 times each. No gold medal needed, no challenge - I'm just numbly going through the motions.

If they had more tracks with tier II parts I could try, it would at least add variety. But I think there are literally only those tracks I can use - over and over again.
Well, I guess you could keep replaying tier 1 tracks and fusing parts. At least that way you'll see some track variety and have more of an incentive to lower your times across the board. It'll take a lot longer, but it's not as if there's some deadline to complete the game.

I know that none of this is ideal, but you've got to make the best of the hand you're dealt.

Yes, constantly. In fact, I looked up this OT to see how widespread this was. It feels like maybe a third of my restarts are because the gas randomly decided I wasn't pressing it anymore.

I have this happening too and it's maddening since in the early (beta?) version that they released in Finland a few months ago, never had this problem.

SmokyDave

That'd be 81 plays for each part!
Yup, certainly would.

I dunno, maybe I'm not the best person to judge this (I've shot the same buffalo in the head 120 times over the last week to get the best rifle in Deer Hunter 2014). The way I see it though, you know what you're getting with most F2P games. You either pay a lot of money, or you grind a lot. If you don't enjoy the grind and you're not willing to part with a lot of money, don't even download 'em. You're just going to end up throwing good time after bad.

I can dig it with Trials because I enjoy the grind. There's always another split second you can shave off a run. It might take me six months to finish the game, but it's not as if I have more pressing things to attend to during the ten minute smoke breaks I play the game in.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I guess. The thing that rubs me up the wrong way, is that there is a good trials game in there. I don't want it F2P but it is, so I guess I just have to get over it, or stop playing :/

I think I've unlocked plenty of tracks though, so I could also just try beating my times..

Tobor

That'd be 81 plays for each part!

As a guy coming to this game for the first time who loves grinding in RPGs and loot games, 81 plays to grind a high end part is nothing to me.

I guess it's all in the perspective.

EDIT: that said, now that hearthstone is out, I've put trials on the back burner.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Finally got both the Bolt V and Nut V and now I gotta start putting money back into these bikes.

Did I mention "fuck The Trebuchet?" Because fuck it.

Top Bottom