• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

ParityBit

I installed and played this last night. Really seemed that people would just bounce around everywhere and and chase the guy with the flag. I am sure if you get into clan matches it is much more tactical.

Game looks great though

Jubbly

I installed and played this last night. Really seemed that people would just bounce around everywhere and and chase the guy with the flag. I am sure if you get into clan matches it is much more tactical.

You're playing with the < l7s. Once you get past that point you're thrown into the mix with everyone and it becomes far more organized.

Zia

- you are better off spending gold on weapons that cost 75-100k exp. anything else can easily be obtained by playing a few matches ( highly recommend xp booster)
-refill your ski? I'm not sure what you mean, maybe you meant jetpack energy which you can see bottom left under the health bar.

And OMG this thread is dying!! What's wrong with you gaf?! This is one of the best fps I played in YEARS. Apparently no body cares here.

Yeah, I have a much better understanding of what I'm doing now, thank you. Consistently top two on the team, TDM, as a Soldier. Still a little uneasy about moving on to CTF -- afraid it'll be a little dose of reality for someone that's had it too easy thus far. Which I'm sure will happen once I level and am moved to the Adult's Table...

And I agree with you. This is the most pure fun I've had with a game in a very long time, and my favorite DM game I've played since Quake III Arena. I adore it and actually have to force myself to stop playing every time I pick it up.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I really think the game needs a naked spawn as the standard or the 3 main classes only. With a delay(Mainly to prevent people from killing themselves when stuck with a grenade) or longer spawn with the kill command.

Killer

Banned
I've been away, so haven't been able to post, sorry! :)

New CTF map - nice visuals, limited routes to go really fast (as far as I can tell). There are a couple of left-right paths if you thread the needle between the crates, but that's super difficult, and a hidden mine or deployable that you can't see/don't kill will ruin the run. Perhaps widen the gap and edit the boxes?

It's alright! I just wanna keep this thread going :).

Yeah I like the map's visuals. It is pretty forward map and there aren't many big hills around to get some speed( except that hill with big tree). I played a couple intense matches on that map so I didn't see or notice the crates you are talking about. Although I saw a big ship in the map somewhere and I didn't check if I can get in it. Also some intense battles happens in the generator room .

Anyhow, I don't think we had any matches between gaffers so I hope we can plan that soon .

Still a little uneasy about moving on to CTF -- afraid it'll be a little dose of reality for someone that's had it too easy thus far. Which I'm sure will happen once I level and am moved to the Adult's Table....

I only played like ten matches of TDM then I moved to CTF. I think I'll never play TDM. It's just different level of depth and awesome! Especially if you play with an organized team.

WX3

I played a couple of games this week and really started to dig Tribes but for some reason that other f2p fps Blacklight Retribution won more of my time. Right now fans of the f2p fps format are swimming in decent shit that isnt helping their backlog shrink any! I have stacks of pc and console games that I spent cold hard cash on collecting dust while I flip/flop back and forth with these games!

Jubbly

Yeah I like the map's visuals. It is pretty forward map and there aren't many big hills around to get some speed( except that hill with big tree). I played a couple intense matches on that map so I didn't see or notice the crates you are talking about. Although I saw a big ship in the map somewhere and I didn't check if I can get in it. Also some intense battles happens in the generator room.

The most efficient and reliable route for me is to grenade boost up that giant hill using all my energy, then come down it, grabbing the flag, then zipping around and going up the other hill/tree to the right, and then back down towards my own flag. The air and ski time before I hit the flag typically gives me enough of a window to clear any defenses, and the speed I carry makes it hard for defenders to catch up from a standing start.

Like I said, if they fiddled with the flag area a bit I'd be more inclined to use other routes, and no, you can't get in the ship :) Go up the top though, it's the favorite camping spot of most snipers.

Killer

Banned
I played a couple of games this week and really started to dig Tribes but for some reason that other f2p fps Blacklight Retribution won more of my time. Right now fans of the f2p fps format are swimming in decent shit that isnt helping their backlog shrink any! I have stacks of pc and console games that I spent cold hard cash on collecting dust while I flip/flop back and forth with these games!

Diablo 3 is around the corner too....

The most efficient and reliable route for me is to grenade boost up that giant hill using all my energy, then come down it, grabbing the flag, then zipping around and going up the other hill/tree to the right, and then back down towards my own flag. The air and ski time before I hit the flag typically gives me enough of a window to clear any defenses, and the speed I carry makes it hard for defenders to catch up from a standing start.

Like I said, if they fiddled with the flag area a bit I'd be more inclined to use other routes, and no, you can't get in the ship :) Go up the top though, it's the favorite camping spot of most snipers.

I really wish the flag area was shielded like that other sand map. It would actually worth the effort to go after the generator. Hell, shield the flag area on every map! Or put the flag area in the building next to generator room just for the laughs lol.

thespot84

- you are better off spending gold on weapons that cost 75-100k exp. anything else can easily be obtained by playing a few matches ( highly recommend xp booster)
-refill your ski? I'm not sure what you mean, maybe you meant jetpack energy which you can see bottom left under the health bar.

And OMG this thread is dying!! What's wrong with you gaf?! This is one of the best fps I played in YEARS. Apparently no body cares here.

we're too busy playing

ParityBit

Is Blacklight Retribution good?

Ardvent

Has anyone else had nothing but terrible daily deals.

After the update I bought $10 worth of shazbucks hoping to get the new weapons i've been dying for cheaply (The Jackal, Phase Rifle, Smoke Bomb, XM1 LMG, and the Phase Rifle). So far i've only gotten perks as my daily deal, and Stealth two days in a row! I refuse to spend gold on perks, so now i'm just checking my deal daily only to be disappointed.

Killer

Banned
After the update I bought $10 worth of shazbucks hoping to get the new weapons i've been dying for cheaply (The Jackal, Phase Rifle, Smoke Bomb, XM1 LMG, and the Phase Rifle). So far i've only gotten perks as my daily deal, and Stealth two days in a row! I refuse to spend gold on perks, so now i'm just checking my deal daily only to be disappointed.

lol.

Yeah, i got terrible deals too. I hate it when i get perks . It should be weapons only.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Is Blacklight Retribution good?

I really like it. Fast paced FPS with decent maps and game modes as well as enough "twists" to make it unique. Between Blacklight and Tribes, I don't have any time to finish off my god damn backlog. Damn F2P to hell. Once Hawken and Mechwarrior release, I'm done for.

Blacklight thread is going pretty slow as well :/ I will make a huge F2P thread in the near future, maybe in that way we can get these games the GAF attention they deserve!

Zia

This game is so good. Why is it not insanely popular? Accessible yet with a modicum of dexterity you feel incredibly skillful. One of those games where, even a mediocre player has a moment every few matches where he or she thinks, "I wish I were recording that." I haven't felt that way about a game since before CS 1.6 and Quake III Arena became inaccessible to new players.

I love it. Just wish I didn't start playing it right before the Diablo III release...

elfinke

Just reading about Blacklight Retribution now... I'd not heard of it. Not sure if I have time for it between Path of Exile beta, D3 launch, SMNC and now this! I'll be in real trouble if Awesomenauts finds it way to Steam!

On topic, I've just found a groove recently with my Technician that has completely changed the way I feel about this game. It took a few things to happen though to get there though.

First was finding local matches with good ping (Australia) so that spraying the assault rifle was less of a ridiculous crapshoot. Second was to stop hoarding XP points for a rainy day, and instead spend them on stuff (upgraded grenades, turrets and default weapon). Third was to just give the maps some time, ease into them a little more and appreciate their very subtle intricacies better.

The result? Many top 3 finishes last night, a few MVP's and badges falling out my wazoo (repair, assists, turret assists and so on). I am enjoying the heck out of Tribes having found this groove, it's glorious!

moojito

On topic, I've just found a groove recently with my Technician that has completely changed the way I feel about this game. It took a few things to happen though to get there though.

First was finding local matches with good ping (Australia) so that spraying the assault rifle was less of a ridiculous crapshoot. Second was to stop hoarding XP points for a rainy day, and instead spend them on stuff (upgraded grenades, turrets and default weapon). Third was to just give the maps some time, ease into them a little more and appreciate their very subtle intricacies better.

The result? Many top 3 finishes last night, a few MVP's and badges falling out my wazoo (repair, assists, turret assists and so on). I am enjoying the heck out of Tribes having found this groove, it's glorious!

Aye, as a pathfinder I'm around the same place as you, getting the hang of the maps, easing out of the newbie zone. It's a good time! I've been playing nothing but pathfinder since I started and have been thinking of unlocking the tech and getting some experience in with that, for those times when we have 6 pathfinders on the team. What do you usually do? Just look after the generator? Defend the flag, etc?

nan0

Aye, as a pathfinder I'm around the same place as you, getting the hang of the maps, easing out of the newbie zone. It's a good time! I've been playing nothing but pathfinder since I started and have been thinking of unlocking the tech and getting some experience in with that, for those times when we have 6 pathfinders on the team. What do you usually do? Just look after the generator? Defend the flag, etc?

Depends on the map, usually defending the flag and assisting a DMB/HoF (repairing Force Fields, helping with turrents, call in Inventory Stations) is my usual routine. If theres nothing to do I repair assets and replace my motion sensors. Repairing and defending the generator is also viable if no one else does it, but you're a bit lost if the enemy team rather wants to play Destroy the Generator than CTF and nobody is helping you.
Turrent placemant is much more important than it seems, most TCH just place them somewhere where they block much better positions and are too easily spotted and destroyed.

elfinke

I get two turrets and two grenades now with the perk upgrades I've earned recently, so depending on the map and the flow of the game, sometimes I will drop a turret right up in midfield, on the down slope that faces my base, so the opposing team can't see it until they've vaulted over the hill and are getting shot in the back. Or I'll hide one somewhere that I find we are getting shelled from. I always try to keep either one in hand (and I'll drop it mid-fight, inbetween clips, whilst skirmishing with the other team, lol) or drop it near our flag/generator, again completely dependant on the flow of the game.

Occasionally I was able to sneak into the other teams generator room and bed myself in there with two turrets and cheese a few kills/distract while my team is off capping flags.

If our flag is under siege, I try to be as proactive as possible with one turret, again sometimes that means placing it right up in midfield, and other times it simply means having it behind a solid wall, facing a potential getaway route and shutting it down. The other turret I will then place in a way as to make it disposable, but where it will at least get a few shots off, which can be enough to stop that pesky Pathfinder from grabbing your flag! I will also tone down my gung-ho shoot'em up attitude a little bit for these games.

Other than that, I am constantly repairing assets, repairing forcefields that have been dropped (super important on some maps), upgrading turrets at every available opportunity, and generally try to get involved in the frontline of base defence with the assault rifle too. I've grabbed my fair share of kills in duels, or even with some long range sniping of sorts with it.

Depends on the map, usually defending the flag and assisting a DMG (repairing Force Fields, helping with turrents, call in Inventory Stations) is my usual routine. If theres nothing to do I repair assets and replace my motion sensors.

I always forget to do this, and it's such a vital help if used well and properly!

Repairing and defending the generator is also viable if no one else does it, but you're a bit lost if the enemy team rather wants to play Destroy the Generator than CTF and nobodys helping you.
Turrent placemant is much more important than it seems, most TCH just place them somewhere where they block much better positions and are too easily spotted and destroyed.

I had a CTF game last night on Raindance where the other team incessantly sent 2 or 3 heavies into our generator room, then camped in there. It was a direct result from our teams otherwise impeccable defence from previous maps, but man was it frustrating trying to get in there and salvage our generator room (only one entrance, and it;s a ridiculous tiny choke point)!

depward

I'd love to play this game but I absolutely cannot get past the "Starting the hi-rez studios authenticate and update service initial prompt. Tried everything.

Jubbly

New 'OMG' Tribes moment: CTF, 4-4, enemy has our flag, I speed straight for their stand to prevent the cap, blue plate the capper at ~275kph inches from the goal, grab our flag and their flag, evade half their team, cap the flag, win the day.

No other game like it.

Killer

Banned
Blacklight thread is going pretty slow as well :/ I will make a huge F2P thread in the near future, maybe in that way we can get these games the GAF attention they deserve!

I think people reception for the game being F2P. It must be bad! I tried to play Blacklight but the game launcher crashes . I hope they fix it soon.

This game is so good. Why is it not insanely popular? Accessible yet with a modicum of dexterity you feel incredibly skillful. One of those games where, even a mediocre player has a moment every few matches where he or she thinks, "I wish I were recording that." I haven't felt that way about a game since before CS 1.6 and Quake III Arena became inaccessible to new players.

I love it. Just wish I didn't start playing it right before the Diablo III release...

I convinced my friends to download the game and no one liked it :(. They started mocking it by saying "it's too fast,levels too big, it's impossible to hit enemies!" they kinda turned me off to be honest cause i want a team to play with :(.

I just uploaded a Beowulf video on my YouTube channel. I always use it so I thought why not show some of my good shots during a day playing the game : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsjRUADnTUo

Nice video! what program do you recommend to capture footage? i never done it before and there are a lot of moments where i wish i recorded it.

I convinced my friends to download the game and no one liked it :(. They started mocking it by saying "it's too fast,levels too big, it's impossible to hit enemies!" they kinda turned me off to be honest cause i want a team to play with :(.

My brother called is Tribes mehscend. Oh well, not everyone's cup of tea but it will do well enough. Really, deathmatch isn't anything to write home about. It's the most enjoyable CTF game I've played though.

Guess which mode people normally start with?

Enco

Maybe it's just me but vehicles seem pretty useless.

They're awkward to get and skiing is much more efficient. Maybe if they were 1000x easier to get more people would use them.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
A good Shrike will shut down a game. They have very little risk since the one weapon you expect to be anti-vehicular. Turns out they can just outrun the missiles.

The Grav Cycle is solely meant for transport and launching. Specifically, its better for heavy classes, but its not bad to use as a launcher for light either.

The tank is pretty damn OP in normal games once you understand and depending on the level. Its an infinitely spamming motor or a flag defender. Out in the open its easy to destroy even as a Pathfinder. While at your base, just shelling the other. They'll never be able to set up anything. On the frost, ship, middle bridge, and sand levels. I can hit the other flag stand from out own base.

Yea, what shintoki says is true; Shrikes need a lot of training and strategy in order to make them work well.

Also, fast+big maps = slow+small maps. I don't get the logic behind the argument that maps being big and game being fast is bad, that actually is pretty damn awesome (although you do need to learn skiing), and at first hitting people with the weapons is hard indeed, but after playing a bit, you get the hang of it. It's easily one of the best FPS since like the late 90s.

Nice video! what program do you recommend to capture footage? i never done it before and there are a lot of moments where i wish i recorded it.

Thanks! I used Fraps for that video but I'm pretty sure there are some free capture programs out there as well.

Card Boy

Banned
Just updated the OP with the latest gold pricing scheme.

kU8Rl.png

You don't get boosters but TotalBiscuit does a calculation saying you are slightly better off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF91LR4r-Gg&feature=plcp

Also i think he is close to 1000 referrals now he should be getting a weapon named after himself soon.

3KbDs.png

Also add your ingame name to the spreadsheet so you can organize some matches with some fellow Gaffers.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I have no idea how people do so well with the sniping in this game but it's really cool to see when it happens on a stream.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I have no idea how people do so well with the sniping in this game but it's really cool to see when it happens on a stream.

Its hitscan. You just have to get use to the speed. Once you do, it completely breaks the game and you can shut down all pathfinders. Heh.

No D3, but I'm hitting my 3rd month in a row playing, and 4th overall. Balance issues are still pestering, but nothing beats running a flag back. I've realized that my routes have become slower oddly enough. I'm hitting mid 200's now rather than low 300's. But they started to become more successful too. They are tighter and I can alter to a new path really quickly. Making Shrikes have to work for their kills. 575 flags capped ^_^

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Got the first place on the team for the first time! It turned out that I'm a pretty badass engineer. Will upgrade this class to the max and try capping (edit: with pathfinder).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
this game is 10 times more fun with friends. I just couldn't imagine how deep and fun it is. Haven't felt this good since Bad Company 1. Tribes is more Battlefield now than Battlefield itself.

thespot84

this game is 10 times more fun with friends. I just couldn't imagine how deep and fun it is. Haven't felt this good since Bad Company 1. Tribes is more Battlefield now than Battlefield itself.

i agree with this totally. it's basically supplanted battlefield outings with my friends.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Well that was awful nice of the game. It glitched and gave me 17,000 XP in one match. Was doing a little TDM on Quicksand and it glitched and gave me a huge speed boost, got me going so fast I earned the Go Fast III and IV badges instantly. Those (since I had VIP and boost) accounted for about 15,000 XP instantly, and I got another badge for using airstrikes so I wound up with about.... 25x the usual XP for a TDM match off a pretty dismal performance. Can't complain.

Enco

How the fuck can anyone get 10,000 referrals?

No fucking way it's possible. Unless if you make/pay for a shitload of fake account I guess.

Card Boy

Banned
How the fuck can anyone get 10,000 referrals?

No fucking way it's possible. Unless if you make/pay for a shitload of fake account I guess.

Only internet 'celebrities' like Totalbiscuit can do it assuming he puts up regular Tribes vids up. He is very close to 1000 referrals and will get a weapon named after him soon.

I keep getting this error when I start it up.

Direct3DDevice->CreateVertexShader((DWORD*)&Code(0),(IDirect3DVertexShader9**)VertexShader.GetInitReference()) failed
at d:\LiveBuild\Tribes\Development\Src\D3D9Drv\Src\D3D9Shaders.cpp:12
with error D3DERR_INVALIDCALL

Address = 0x7565b727 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll]
Address = 0x47feb1 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Hi-Rez Studios\HiRezGames\tribes\binaries\Win32\TribesAscend.exe]
Address = 0x4a8243 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Hi-Rez Studios\HiRezGames\tribes\binaries\Win32\TribesAscend.exe]

Anyone know why?

Top Bottom