• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

elfinke

Gave this a bash today. Mostly enjoyed it, but have a number of misgivings with it. Playing on US East servers with a ~250 ping made shooting altogether frustrating at time. Also, being matched in games with rank 20+ dudes, who routinely and obviously would finish at the top of the table wore thin quick.

Played a bit of all the modes, enjoyment depended entirely on how useless the team I was playing with was, though CTF and base capture and hold are far and away my preferred modes.

A few times big dudes from the other team would be camped behind our base, or in it, and would be spamming god damn MIRVs, or spinfusions, or mortars or some other big splash damage reliant shit and winning. Fuck that. Made playing as tech or soldier unbearable, as at low levels there is simply no counter with the shitty pea shooters they come with (though the soldiers secondary weapon - poor range aside - is awesome). And with no team organisation going on, blurgh, horrible. In fact, most games were centred around being suppressed heavily while super experienced and skilled players zipped in and out stealing flags. In a pub server with no chat, it makes for terrible gaming.

It runs fantastic on my i5 + 6950, million FPS at 1680x1050 and everything set to highest, even looks ok. So technically it's fine.

Having said all that, I think I have time for both SMNC and Tribes, at least until Diablo 3 lands. And exactly like SMNC, I'd love to play in an organised team format.

The ranks don't mean much, really. It just shows they've been playing a long time, and at most, have more experience than you. Brutes and Juggernauts camping behind the base and spamming stuff at it, isn't that big of a deal. A tech can sneak up behind them, drop a turret and spam some SMG fire to lure them over, throw grenades like it's christmas and you can take at least one out. They've got further to travel back than you do. Be sure to hit Alt while looking at one to point them out to the team. If your entire team is ignoring them, that's unfortunate. Better luck next round.

You're going to get good rounds, and bad rounds, depending on the skill of people and which sides they congregate on. Ideally, the servers should be balancing teams, since players can't balance themselves. If Red wins this round, all the losers from Blue will spam to try and get on to Red, assuming the good players on Red are staying there. I tend to switch sides every round, just to hedge my bets.

I've had some amazing matches on the pub servers, no chat. And some crappy ones. That's just luck of the dice, really.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Still doesn't load. Fuck this. Every single FPS I have ever tried loaded at the very least. Somehow they fucked that up, and with the Unreal Engine, too... How do you fuck that up? I think I'll just move on and play something that works rather than try to get them to fix a problem they know has existed for well over a year.

Still doesn't load. Fuck this. Every single FPS I have ever tried loaded at the very least. Somehow they fucked that up, and with the Unreal Engine, too... How do you fuck that up? I think I'll just move on and play something that works rather than try to get them to fix a problem they know has existed for well over a year.

I've said this from the start, they don't know what they are doing. I give legitimate reasons upon reasons, everyone on the forums do and they refuse (or are simply too incompetent) to not only acknowledge the problems, but fix them too.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just asked for a refund on my booster since I never got to use it or the VIP status of my account. Let's see if they at least have any decency.

I just asked for a refund on my booster since I never got to use it or the VIP status of my account. Let's see if they at least have any decency.

The game runs for me, but poorly, ati card. seems to be a common problem (though not 100% in all ATI cards).

elfinke

The ranks don't mean much, really. It just shows they've been playing a long time, and at most, have more experience than you. Brutes and Juggernauts camping behind the base and spamming stuff at it, isn't that big of a deal. A tech can sneak up behind them, drop a turret and spam some SMG fire to lure them over, throw grenades like it's christmas and you can take at least one out. They've got further to travel back than you do. Be sure to hit Alt while looking at one to point them out to the team. If your entire team is ignoring them, that's unfortunate. Better luck next round.

You're going to get good rounds, and bad rounds, depending on the skill of people and which sides they congregate on. Ideally, the servers should be balancing teams, since players can't balance themselves. If Red wins this round, all the losers from Blue will spam to try and get on to Red, assuming the good players on Red are staying there. I tend to switch sides every round, just to hedge my bets.

I've had some amazing matches on the pub servers, no chat. And some crappy ones. That's just luck of the dice, really.

By and large I agree with you, except for the bolded part - there is only so many "better luck next rounds" I'm willing to hand out with so many games to play! A basic tech has a low level turret that dies when sneezed on, has only 1 grenade and minimal life. I don't have speed, range or damage output to match any of those heavies, and even any nuisance value I have is so negligible as to often be worthless. The maps are so vast, open and indefensible that, while on occasion you might get one dude, more often than not once the higher equipped and ranked opposition are entrenched there is just no digging them out. That shitty map with the canals behind the base... Urgh! Lol.

On a tangent, I loved being those OP heavies in MAG (SVER 4lyf)...

From the very small sample of games I played I today (20-ish), that was the overwhelming experience. And it sucked.

Having said that, it didn't suck enough to turn me off, but I completely feel for other new players who are immediately turned off from the barrage of spammed explosions near their spawn. I look forward to playing again tonight, hopefully on some Aussie servers.

teepo

i could be wrong, but the last few days, i'm positive there has been atleast one person i've played with who has used some sort of aimbot. it's always the same thing, they can't ski for shit but manage to stay alive just long enough to get three or more kills, usually through perfect aim using an assault rifle of some sort regardless of distance or velocity of their target. hell, one was picking me off half way across the map. the last game i played, this one fuck managed to get 30 kills simply standing still and firing away as a raider and this was in a tdm server where no single game lasted for more than 5 minutes. a first person spectator mode would be quite useful right about now so i don't falsely accuse.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
By and large I agree with you, except for the bolded part - there is only so many "better luck next rounds" I'm willing to hand out with so many games to play! A basic tech has a low level turret that dies when sneezed on, has only 1 grenade and minimal life. I don't have speed, range or damage output to match any of those heavies, and even any nuisance value I have is so negligible as to often be worthless. The maps are so vast, open and indefensible that, while on occasion you might get one dude, more often than not once the higher equipped and ranked opposition are entrenched there is just no digging them out. That shitty map with the canals behind the base... Urgh! Lol.

On a tangent, I loved being those OP heavies in MAG (SVER 4lyf)...

From the very small sample of games I played I today (20-ish), that was the overwhelming experience. And it sucked.

Having said that, it didn't suck enough to turn me off, but I completely feel for other new players who are immediately turned off from the barrage of spammed explosions near their spawn. I look forward to playing again tonight, hopefully on some Aussie servers.

Best way to counter Jugs on high platforms is to play Pathfinder and abuse the fact that you are not only faster, but have a lot more airtime. Shotgun does ridiculous damage up close.

If you have the XP, Infiltrator + 2 sticky nades do the job as well. Or simply Sentinel snipe (lame option I know)

That said, another solution is to simply play pathfinder yourself and go for the flag :p Then you wont be bothered by the jugs. Personally, I find Soldier not very fun to play :/

Zeliard

i could be wrong, but the last few days, i'm positive there has been atleast one person i've played with who has used some sort of aimbot. it's always the same thing, they can't ski for shit but manage to stay alive just long enough to get three or more kills, usually through perfect aim using an assault rifle of some sort regardless of distance or velocity of their target. hell, one was picking me off half way across the map. the last game i played, this one fuck managed to get 30 kills simply standing still and firing away as a raider and this was in a tdm server where no single game lasted for more than 5 minutes. a first person spectator mode would be quite useful right about now so i don't falsely accuse.

No doubt a couple here or there may be aimbotting, but if you have good aim with the automatics it's manageable to rack up tons of kills with them in a short time. I've done it myself, though I try not to use them much due to the inevitably high levels of "fuckin COD autonoobs" bitching (and I don't even play COD or any games of that sort). With an auto you can pretty consistently beat other weapon types in a duel and you can also dodge explosive types fairly easily by timing your jetpack hops properly.

That's also why people who still think the current Plasma Gun is OP are silly, because that's basically the only explosive weap that is a solid counter to automatic weapons since you can get midairs so much more easily with it (and midair combat is basically the point of it). Even if you have very good Spinfusor aim, for example, you will usually lose in a duel to someone with good auto-weap aim simply because of the differences in rates of fire.

No doubt a couple here or there may be aimbotting, but if you have good aim with the automatics it's manageable to rack up tons of kills with them in a short time. I've done it myself, though I try not to use them much due to the inevitably high levels of "fuckin COD autonoobs" bitching (and I don't even play COD or any games of that sort). With an auto you can pretty consistently beat other weapon types in a duel and you can also dodge explosive types fairly easily by timing your jetpack hops properly.

That's also why people who still think the current Plasma Gun is OP are silly, because that's basically the only explosive weap that is a solid counter to automatic weapons since you can get midairs so much more easily with it (and midair combat is basically the point of it). Even if you have very good Spinfusor aim, for example, you will usually lose in a duel to someone with good auto-weap aim simply because of the differences in rates of fire.

true. i hate fighting raiders close range as a juggernaut. those SMG are brutal and they just jump over me and rain on me.

Zeliard

true. i hate fighting raiders close range as a juggernaut. those SMG are brutal and they just jump over me and rain on me.

I'm curious how a Doombringer's Chaingun generally fares against SMGs, or the Jug's LMG. I haven't unlocked the DMB class or the LMG weap yet so I'm not sure about them offensively, but defensively the ones with good aim can bring the heat, especially with their high reserves of HP. Not really a fan of using the Heavy classes myself, though.

For my money there's still nothing quite as satisfying as the regular Soldier Spinfusor. Those Blue Plate Specials are delicious ("clink!"). Something like 92% of my entire playing time is with Soldier, and that class is highly effective and versatile in both CTF and TDM. Still some weaps I haven't tried yet though like the Pathfinder's Bolt Launcher or the Infiltrator's Jackal, neither of which I've unlocked.

Zeliard

Is the raider's new SMG worth getting?

I like it and use it over the NJ4, though it depends on what you like to do. The NJ5 is a fantastic finisher due to its damage, and with its zooming function it's particularly fun and effective for harassing heavies who like to sit back at range, as well as Sentinels. The zoom and its general range also makes it great for stumping health regen with opponents who are trying to run off after being hurt.

SHarris78

Bored with my current collection of games so i thought i'd give this a try as its free and its had good reviews (despite me thinking the videos of it look boring).

HOLY CRAP is it awesome, and i've only played the training level with the bots!! It has a fantastic 'feel' to it, something old school with a twist.

Quick question, next to the character class you pick it has a percentage complete, i'm at between 11 - 14% for the 3 classes you're given at the start. Whats needed to increase these?

Hopefully will have time later tonight to get online!

reektann

The raider is slowly making me livid. They do seem to have some insanely powerful kit. Crazy cluster sticky grenades all over my flag.

elfinke

Best way to counter Jugs on high platforms is to play Pathfinder and abuse the fact that you are not only faster, but have a lot more airtime. Shotgun does ridiculous damage up close.

If you have the XP, Infiltrator + 2 sticky nades do the job as well. Or simply Sentinel snipe (lame option I know)

That said, another solution is to simply play pathfinder yourself and go for the flag :p Then you wont be bothered by the jugs. Personally, I find Soldier not very fun to play :/

Yeah that sounds cool. I'm about settle down to a post dinner bout of SMNC, but I might dip into Tribes and give pathfinder a go too. I only have three or four classes unlocked to play with (soldier, tech, some big guy), so I'll have bit of a better play around tonight.

SHarris78

I'm trying to complete the skiing challenge before going online proper, my god is it annoying. I can get loads of high off the initial 'ramp', but judging how to land on the second one is nigh on impossible. I've seen some youtube vids of people getting crazy high, i don't know how they manage it.

Don't know how much longer i can keep it at without smashing something, its so infuriating.

ameratsu

Quick question, next to the character class you pick it has a percentage complete, i'm at between 11 - 14% for the 3 classes you're given at the start. Whats needed to increase these?

You can spend xp (earned by playing matches, but can be boosted through purchases) and gold (in-game currency that you buy) to unlock upgrades, weapons, and accessories for each class. The percentage is how much you currently have unlocked.

what card you have? i get between 50-90 with my 5770 @ 1080p

But i also play at minimal settings

very high i get like 30-50

Ati HD 5870. I've made sure my drivers are up to date. There are several others in the same camp as me, but oddly there are plenty of ATI users (like you) that have no problems.

I average around 30, medium settings, 720p...

Ati HD 5870. I've made sure my drivers are up to date. There are several others in the same camp as me, but oddly there are plenty of ATI users (like you) that have no problems.

hmmm, that's not good. you could always open up the ini. file and customize the setting. my friend did this and saw a huge performance jump.

I'm starting to get the hang of this game though. I'm a beast with the juggernaut and predicting shots. Last game i had 30+ kills.

Anyone else agree capture and hold is where it is at. Easily the best mode. Cant really go back to capture the flag now.

derFeef

That sounds really strange. Do you have AA forced via drivers by any chance? Be sure to disable motion blur and other crappy stuff like that.

Card Boy

Banned

Not sure what the issue is. I got the same card as you (5870) and get 90FPS locked according to Fraps on Ultra settings at 1920x1080 resolution.

nan0

New Patch is out:
https://hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/454
Major Highlights
A new CTF map has been added, Tartarus.
A new Arena map has been added, Hinterlands.

Users may now configure up to four pre-established loadouts (or profiles) per class. These can be used to more quickly switch between favored configurations for each class. Loadout slots are purchasable using XP or Gold.
Users may now QUICK SWITCH between classes and loadouts while in a match using the “NUMPAD ENTER” key (default). This is an alternate way to change classes/loadouts versus using the Class Select menu ("I" Screen) that does not require you to open the game menu and is much faster.
Users will now be presented with a customized “DEAL OF THE DAY.” This is a deal tailored to the individual and presents special pricing on an item that the user does not already own. The timer for the deal of the day resets at the same time as the timer for the First Win of the Day.
The gold packages have been changed. The $30 and $50 packages now give significantly more bonus gold than previous, but do not include an XP booster. Users continue to earn permanent VIP status (which increases XP gain by 50% after their first real-money purchase).
IMPORTANT USABILITY NOTE: With this release, you always close the console window using the ESCAPE key. You can no longer close the console window using the same key that launches the console (default “tilde”). This is necessary to solve issues when people rebind that key, as well as on some countries’ keyboard layouts.
Weapon/Balance Items
Shrike price reduced on public servers to 4000.
Beowulf price reduced on public servers to 2500.
Gravcycle price reduced on public servers to 500.
Reduced the amount of knockback the flag receives from explosions in air (reducing punting).
New Accolades have been added:
Investor: Earned every 2 minutes that a Base Radar or Generator that you upgraded remains online.
Turret Support: Earned if a Base Turret you upgraded gets a kill.
Hot Air: Earned for getting a mid-air kill with the Plasma Gun. (Replaces Air-Mail).
An exit speed cap of 200kph has been added to the Shrike.
Fixed an issue in which the Pathfinder’s Thrust Pack could sometimes not correctly thrust the player.
Fixed an issue in which the Pathfinder’s Light Assault Rifle was not always firing three rounds.
Custom Server Notes
XP is now rewarded on password protected servers so long as at least 8 people participate in a match.
Server owners can now choose between multiple spawn types. This includes Normal spawning, Naked Pathfinder, and Core spawning (Pathfinder, Soldier, and Juggernaut with unlocks).
Fixed a bug in which configuration options would not be saved properly in some cases. This audio/video settings, custom servers, etc.
Fixed a bug in which servers would go offline and require a manual restart after the overall game servers were restarted.
Variety of other minor cleanups and fixes.
Additional Items
Fixed an issue where the jet-only option for a keybind was jump jetting instead.
Fixed an issue where the whiteout grenade could cause the permanent loss of IFF’s in certain situations.
Deaths from hitting a player equipped with the Super Heavy perk will now play a splat sound.
Fixed an issue where projectile explosion sounds and effects wouldn’t play in certain situations in close-quarter combat.
Fixed an issue where inventory and vehicle stations weren’t properly updated when the generator went online or offline.
Fixed an issue where meleeing while zoomed could cause the zoomed-in reticule to still be active after you released the zoom button.
Fixed an issue where throwing a grenade while spawning a vehicle could leave the player without weapons.
Fixed an issue where the firing sound would not properly stop on constant-fire weapons after a reload.
Fixed an issue where de-cloaking with a call-in active would display the wrong active call-in information.
Fixed an issue where reloading a weapon while zoomed would not properly resume zooming when the reload had finished.
Vehicle stations have been added to Outskirts Capture and Hold.
Fixed an issue where vehicle station markers were not displaying in Capture and Hold.
Fixed an issue where player input wasn’t being properly reset at the end of a round in Arena.
Fixed a client crash when placing deployables (i.e. Doombringer’s Force Field, Technician’s Light Turret, etc) in certain areas when roaming.
Fixed an issue where players weren’t able to place a deployable on certain areas of the flag stand of Katabatic.
Fixed various UI presentation bugs.
Performance optimizations done on Arx Novena aqueducts.
Fixed an issue with the voting keybinds, they have now been restored to their previous values (F5 for no, F6 for yes).

Awesome. Finally keeping up turrets and the radar gives a reward.

"four pre-established loadouts"

THANK BASED GOD. They're only 5200 XP too, so super-cheap.

EDIT: Now if only they'd add shortcut keys for selecting them quickly after hitting ESC.

Weapon/Balance Items
Shrike price reduced on public servers to 4000.
Beowulf price reduced on public servers to 2500.
Gravcycle price reduced on public servers to 500.

We'll be seeing more Gravcycles...

I'm happy with the rate at which they're fixing things. I know a lot of people (phosphor112) are super-impatient and want everything fixed right now, and only the things they care about, but overall I think the team is doing a good job of moving things forward evenly while addressing the big immediate issues usually within one or two patches.

Dosia

Why hello there, Beowulf at 2500.

I like being the gunner in the beowulf but I think the chaingun rounds are a bit too slow travel wise. It would be nice if they bumpedthem up a smidge.

I think this game will be fantastic in about 6 months with even more maps and polish.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

EDIT: Now if only they'd add shortcut keys for selecting them quickly after hitting ESC.

I'm happy with the rate at which they're fixing things. I know a lot of people (phosphor112) are super-impatient and want everything fixed right now, and only the things they care about, but overall I think the team is doing a good job of moving things forward evenly while addressing the big immediate issues usually within one or two patches.

But there is a shortcut key? Numpad. Says so in the patchnotes ^^

I'd rather they fix what they have now instead of constantly adding new things. A physics fix should have been the first thing that happened in the beta. Never did. Not in Alpha, not now, and it probably won't happen.

But there is a shortcut key? Numpad. Says so in the patchnotes ^^

Hmm. Once you're at the loadout screen, there are numbers - but I meant shortcuts to get to that screen in the first place, unless there's a shortcut key to open the loadout screen directly from within a match, I'll have to check.

EDIT: DERP

Users may now QUICK SWITCH between classes and loadouts while in a match using the “NUMPAD ENTER” key (default). This is an alternate way to change classes/loadouts versus using the Class Select menu ("I" Screen) that does not require you to open the game menu and is much faster

I am blind today. Ignore me.

No idea. I have an HD 5700, and I play 720p on Medium, and get about 40fps on average. I blame the UE3 engine, it's always been a temperamental bitch on PC.

Zeliard

well 460 is significantly better than 5770.

my 5770 can run Maxed @ 1080p with frames in the 40s

I know but some of the low frames people are getting @ low resolutions seems odd, as Tribes shouldn't be very performance-intensive if people turn settings down. There are some decent cfg tweak guides out there, like this one: http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=58583

I largely turn stuff down/off but keep things like DepthofField on (which greatly affects the look of the game) so it still looks pretty decent and runs well. It's best to tweak settings individually rather than pick a preset, as certain settings have much more of a performance hit than others.

Tambini

Finally tried this game out and I was very impressed, it was better than I thought it would be, they did a great job.

I know but some of the low frames people are getting @ low resolutions seems odd, as Tribes shouldn't be very performance-intensive if people turn settings down. There are some decent cfg tweak guides out there, like this one: http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=58583

I largely turn stuff down/off but keep things like DepthofField on (which greatly affects the look of the game) so it still looks pretty decent and runs well. It's best to tweak settings individually rather than pick a preset, as certain settings have much more of a performance hit than others.

I'll record later tonight. At work right now. I average around 30fps when working in Sandbox for CryEngine (I run at around 40-50 when actually playing Crysis).

It's weird, and annoying. I need over 60 to be happy with a game that goes this fast and it's just frustrating sometimes.

Zeliard

I'll record later tonight. At work right now. I average around 30fps when working in Sandbox for CryEngine (I run at around 40-50 when actually playing Crysis).

It's weird, and annoying. I need over 60 to be happy with a game that goes this fast and it's just frustrating sometimes.

Oh I'm not saying I don't believe you, just that it's really unfortunate that those issues are cropping up. I agree that playing this sort of game in particular at low FPS (or high ping, for that matter) is definitely unsuitable.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I've been playing this again since February. I was at level 10 from last year, but it followed clicked and some 100 hours and now on level 23.

Good news, I seem to be a pretty damn good Pathfinder. I got the moves and speed with some 500 flags capped. I also do extremely well just going for kills too.

Bad news, as I've become more skilled. I've also noticed more problems. Heh. The game is really terribly imbalanced. Spawns happen so quick, so many times that sniper I just killed will respawn on the opposite side. The same side the flag runner on our team went and he cane easily pick him off. Or Shrikes being able to out run Saber launchers. Or the 2nd, secondary weapon almost always seeming to be ridiculously more useful than the first. In both cases, while do Sents and Paths have an auto, long range. Which brings up another complaint of every class having a bullet spam range weapon. It just seems to ruin the fun.

Basically, I love the game. When you get in a good match its awesome. But it seems far too easy for a match to fall into a bad one.

Also, they need a good level designer. I like the Lava and frost map. That's it.

Zia

Installed last night and have played five TDM(s). Really exciting game, even if I don't always know what I'm doing (the OP mentioned tutorials and a training mode, but I only found four meager little training scenarios, including a ski "challenge").

A few quick questions: if I plan on staying F2P, what should I spend my gold on? How do I refill my ski? Wasn't sure if it's just a cool down I'm missing somewhere in the HUD. And are people on ave just not very good? As you can tell I really have no idea what I'm doing and have placed in the top five every game I've played except my first, earning VIP once. I'm simultaneously very intimidated, confused and empowered.

Killer

Banned
A few quick questions: if I plan on staying F2P, what should I spend my gold on? How do I refill my ski? Wasn't sure if it's just a cool down I'm missing somewhere in the HUD. And are people on ave just not very good? As you can tell I really have no idea what I'm doing and have placed in the top five every game I've played except my first, earning VIP once. I'm simultaneously very intimidated, confused and empowered.

- you are better off spending gold on weapons that cost 75-100k exp. anything else can easily be obtained by playing a few matches ( highly recommend xp booster)
-refill your ski? I'm not sure what you mean, maybe you meant jetpack energy which you can see bottom left under the health bar.

And OMG this thread is dying!! What's wrong with you gaf?! This is one of the best fps I played in YEARS. Apparently no body cares here.

Jubbly

And OMG this thread is dying!! What's wrong with you gaf?! This is one of the best fps I played in YEARS. Apparently no body cares here.

I've been away, so haven't been able to post, sorry! :)

New CTF map - nice visuals, limited routes to go really fast (as far as I can tell). There are a couple of left-right paths if you thread the needle between the crates, but that's super difficult, and a hidden mine or deployable that you can't see/don't kill will ruin the run. Perhaps widen the gap and edit the boxes?

Top Bottom