• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

Bit the bullet and picked up the second biggest gold bundle. I have all classes already unlocked. I've been almost only playing Doom bringer and I'm happy with what I've already got for him.

Anything across the classes, that is an absolute must buy?

Depends on which classes you like to play as, but I suggest definitely getting the weapon bundles for infiltrator and raider (just because you can get 3 weapons for very cheap).

Depends on which classes you like to play as, but I suggest definitely getting the weapon bundles for infiltrator and raider (just because you can get 3 weapons for very cheap).

Unfortunately the Infiltrator weapon bundle is off the store. It was replaced by the Raiders one. The only Infiltrator bundles available include skins, so they are more expensive as a result.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Bit the bullet and picked up the second biggest gold bundle. I have all classes already unlocked. I've been almost only playing Doom bringer and I'm happy with what I've already got for him.

Anything across the classes, that is an absolute must buy?

Play a lot before you buy something, if you haven't already. I have made some pretty bad decisions (like the second sentinel weapon) and now I deeply regret that decision.

Unfortunately the Infiltrator weapon bundle is off the store. It was replaced by the Raiders one. The only Infiltrator bundles available include skins, so they are more expensive as a result.

Oh, really? I haven't checked the store since the Raider update.
Well... getting the pack with the Assassin skin is definitely worth it! It has red jet thrusters, and looks fucking awesome. :3

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Play a lot before you buy something, if you haven't already. I have made some pretty bad decisions (like the second sentinel weapon) and now I deeply regret that decision.

Yea I wasted gold on the Juggernauts MIRV, what a POS that thing is.

MIRV is everything but OP. But it all really depends on personal preference; some people like the mortar better, some people like the MIRV better. Oh well.

Liberty4all

Banned
You guys see this? http://www.reddit.com/r/Tribes/comments/t1t7a/extremely_important_ini_tweak_that_drastically/

Holy shit does it make a hUge difference. Basically "fixes" your mouse from lagged to unlagged.

Before you read the following fix, I'd like to ask one main thing in the following responses:

ASK HI REZ TO INCLUDE THIS AS AN IN-GAME MENU OPTION.

My basic understanding of the below fix is as follows: Essentially, UE3 by default decides to lag mouse inputs in exchange for better frame rate. It's a setting that while not a big deal for console games, is a huge deal for PC games.

By turning the OneFrameThreadLag setting to false, you'll notice an immediate and sudden improvement in how your mouse feels in game. This is because your direct input is no longer delayed by X amount of frames.

Please note though, that as mentioned above, this does come at a frame rate penalty. If you're on a PC that can barely play T:A in its current form, this fix might make the game unplayable. If you're on a more modern PC, you shouldn't have a noticable frame hit.

Fix is below this line.

Go to:

C:\Users*YOUR PC NAME*\Documents\My Games\Tribes Ascend\TribesGame\Config

Open:

Tribes.ini

Insert under DirectionalLightMaps=True the following:

"OneFrameThreadLag=False" (without " marks)

Save the ini.

Enjoy drastically increased mouse responsiveness.

It should be the 10th entry from the top, under [SystemSettings].

You probably do have it, but search can be funny.

He said:

DirectionalLightMaps=True

My config had:

DirectionalLightmaps=True

Case sensitive? :p I couldn't find it when I copied and pasted his string. Notepad's search is unreliable.

Liberty4all

Banned
The setting is says to insert it under doesn't exist in my config. Which header does it go under?

It should be there ... It was in mine about 10 lines or so down. it made a dramatic
difference too especially with bullet weapons and sniper rifle.

nan0

I don't have that setting either.

Edit: And adding it manually doesn't change anything. Mouse controls were already fluent before, though.

reektann

How does everybody force AA in this? I can set FXAA in the latest Nvidia control panel which is alright but it's not as good as 4xAA or something.

Enco

I understand them putting in in game purchases but they made the exp requirements for most things completely moronic.

100,000 exp for the Jackal? Fuck that shit.

WedgeX

Banned
Well. This feels a bit like Tribes 1. Which makes me happy. The low number of dedicated servers, however...

And I saw that there is a NeoGAF server on the west coast side? Awesome! Is there a dedicated night for playing?

Acidote

Does the game have some kind of fps cap? I'm always stuck at 30 fps and that makes the game unplayable.

Tain

On my PC it kinda seems like the game has a 90fps cap, which is not the smoothest number when it comes to screen tearing.

It says the servers are up, and yet... nothing seems to be working in Ascend right now. Weird.

EDIT: Nevermind, now it says the severs are down, and "should be back online very soon".

Attention Tribals: We had a short problem in our data center and the Tribes Servers are being restarted. We should be up again in a few minutes.

Played this game for the first time today and it was amazing. I never played any of the other tribes games before so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I'm still trying to get the hang of leading shots and reading where people are going to land, but this is the first shooter I've played in months that I didn't feel super bored with.

Alastor

I started playing maybe two days ago and I'm in love, this is pure oldschool awesomeness :)

Right now I'm enjoying sniping the shit out of anything that goes near my base in CTF. I'm not scoring many points like that, but damn if taking out a guy who just grabbed my flag isn't awesome feeling.

ID: RenorMirshann, just added myself to spreadsheet.

Smokey

I just downloaded this...does it not support SLI?

Loaded up training run and noticed my 2nd GPU was in the 4%-5% range.

EDIT: NVM. Guess it's not necessary...getting 120fps with a single 580 anyway.

moojito

What an end to that second game there, with the guy taking the flag with two second left on the clock at 4-3 to force overtime and then get the cap. Great stuff!

FishStix

Neo Member
What an end to that second game there, with the guy taking the flag with two second left on the clock at 4-3 to force overtime and then get the cap. Great stuff!

That was one of many overtimes that occurred tonight heheh. GGs all around!

If you missed today's show, the archive is already up and ready to be watched. Or if you just want to relive the epicness that was A51 vs. Tao ;) http://www.twitch.tv/cybersportsnetwork/b/317376893

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I haven't played this for a looooooong time because it took 10+ minutes to load anything if I had Microsoft Security Essentials on. Now I just let it spend two hours updating and it's still doing that, and now even when I have MSSE off. I'm going to try uninstalling it altogether and just installing the new version, but if that doesn't fix it I'll be pretty annoyed. Someone who has MSSE says it works fine for them so I don't know what the deal is.

chixdiggit

So I haven't played this for a looooooong time because it took 10+ minutes to load anything if I had Microsoft Security Essentials on. Now I just let it spend two hours updating and it's still doing that, and now even when I have MSSE off. I'm going to try uninstalling it altogether and just installing the new version, but if that doesn't fix it I'll be pretty annoyed. Someone who has MSSE says it works fine for them so I don't know what the deal is.

I have MSSE and it works great.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have MSSE and it works great.
So I hope this fixes it...

I am doubly annoyed because I paid for a package back in the day, which I never got use out of because I couldn't play it. Oh well, at least I have permanent gold membership now or whatever.

Top Bottom