• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

Dina

Looks-wise I prefer the futuristic Diamond Sword to the militaristic Blood Eagle, but the female announcer of the Diamond Sword over Chuff McGruff of the Blood Eagle seals the deal.

"So I install the game, boot it up and load a training level. Then I get constant mouse spin to the left, sigh."

Do you have a controller hooked up to your computer that's currently upside down/analog stick depressed in some direction?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I haven't manage to play a full game of CTF all night long. Rooms would barely get half full :( Hopefully more people give this game a chance

K.Sabot

Does anyone else have a huge preference for one tribe over another, irrationally so? I find myself getting upset when I am not on the Diamond Swords. They just look so slick. I have been playing this far more than I planned.
Yes, I do. I get to be a part of some sort of technoracism and the game is telling me its totally ok. Those god damned dirty sand rakers.

demolitio

I just managed to get 48 kills in a match last night with the next highest player 20 kills away yet I still had a lot of points from taking out generators and capping flags. It was the best match I've had in this game and it made me fall in love with it more. There's just something so satisfying in this game where it's old school and depends on skill and leading targets more than high ranks. The unlocks compliment a class and give you sub-classes within each one where my infiltrator can be a stealthy rusher who caps flags or switch to the Jackal and become a stealthy pain in the ass with traps set to defend our flag or I can go out and wreak havoc on their generator. It's amazing how simple yet deep this game.

I have to laugh at the team last night since their whole damn crew sat up on top of the building where the flag is at and they just kept setting up defenses while I controlled the middle of the map in my tank. I basically held everyone off from using the middle so our guys could get the flag back easily after I already had a capture and then I got the motherload...
An ORBITAL STRIKE! I call it on top of their base where they were all camping and it took out at least 8 guys but we couldn't tell since it kept popping up new names immediately before I could see the ones before them. So I get a shitload of kills and points for destroying shit which gave me enough for a SECOND ORBITAL STRIKE!. Same thing with the same results with at least 5+ dead. The destroyed equipment gave me enough credits again for a THIRD ORBITAL STRIKE! which killed at least 4 or 5 people again and all this happened one after another with only a short period of time in between strikes which allowed them to set up their defenses again and stupidly fall for the same thing.

That right there had my friend cracking up nonstop because all you could see was my name at the bottom of the screen for minutes and I was already lighting up the leaderboard before those strikes by controlling the middle and timing my base attacks. We basically would use my strikes to then take the flag since they were all dead and it became a really easy win. Talk about a game that rewards players for doing a good job and helping the team while making you feel like a total badass, yet it's a risk vs. reward type scenario where you can either save up or buy cheaper shit so it's incredibly deep in its decision making, lol.

Anyone who doesn't play this isn't a friend of mine and it looks like I don't have a lot of friends. This game needs to be popular for bringing back a hardcore twitch shooter that was a pioneer in the sci-fi game genre. It was the original sci-fi shooter with vehicles yet it doesn't get the credit it deserves while other games are viewed as the inventors of the genre. Long live the old school games. Can't wait for PlanetSide 2 as well...lol

Add demolitio4 ingame if you're down for some games sometime.

Dina

I don't like the brackets in this game, or actually the lack of brackets in this game. It's all fun and games until level 8, but pass that and you get grouped with all kinds of beta-players who retained their unlocks and levels going from the beta to launch. Not to mention they have 6 months of experience ahead of you. There needs to be more brackets, like 1-5, 5-10, 5-20, etc.

How does this game play with a controller? My mate wants to play it with me and he's never really used keyboard and mouse before. Should he even bother trying?

Nymerio

I don't like the brackets in this game, or actually the lack of brackets in this game. It's all fun and games until level 8, but pass that and you get grouped with all kinds of beta-players who retained their unlocks and levels going from the beta to launch. Not to mention they have 6 months of experience ahead of you. There needs to be more brackets, like 1-5, 5-10, 5-20, etc.

Yeah, I noticed this as well at around level 7. Used to top the charts in almost every game I played and suddenly found myself in the lower end of the leaderboards after I leveled up.

I've been slowly improving though so it's not really that bad. I'm having a blast even if I'm not constantly winning.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
How does this game play with a controller? My mate wants to play it with me and he's never really used keyboard and mouse before. Should he even bother trying?

Well he can probably still cap flags as well as fly shrikes and drive tanks. But he shouldn't expect to kill a lot of people with his weapons.

Maybe after some time with the controller he will like to switch to M&K ;)

SmartBase

"So I install the game, boot it up and load a training level. Then I get constant mouse spin to the left, sigh."

Do you have a controller hooked up to your computer that's currently upside down/analog stick depressed in some direction?

Yes I apparently left my joystick plugged in, stupid mistake.

Game plays really nicely by the way, I approve.

Jubbly

Cons: No single-player and some concepts aren't explained very well. No voice support or other teamplay options. Pointless vehicles. Bland graphics and art design.

It's great to see the game getting high-scoring reviews and good press, but the Cons section of the review was off in my opinion.

Between the tutorials and in-game hints I felt everything was explained, and by the reviewers first 'Pro' point he/she clearly isn't new to Tribes. Voice support I can agree with, as it's often a bit f'in hard to Vxx when you're attempting to evade half the enemy team whilst carrying the flag in a match-deciding moment.

Pointless vehicles is beyond wrong. The bike is a good flag chasing tool, the tank is excellent for flag defense, and in the hands of a pro the Shrike is a monster.

The final point is the most egregious remark in the entire review - you don't want superfluous crap all over the place, as it would make it far harder to focus on the important things like the position of a dropped flag, or where the flag holder is going to be in 5 seconds when he needs to be hit by a disc. And even if there was a load of extra crap, the serious players would turn it off anyway to make the game cleaner (see: any number of competitive shooters over the years).

tuxor

Neo Member
I forgot how much I love this freaking series.

Chasing down flag carrier on the map with the bunkers and things in the green valley with the large cliff in the middle (I realize that's pretty much all the maps, but I haven't learned their names yet). Running basic infiltrator, we're pretty much right at his base when I have to reload, realize I probably won't be able to get him even after I do. Chuck a sticky nade at the flagbase, 2 seconds later he dies, flag pops up right next to the base and I swoop in and retrieve it. Intense.

Infiltrator pistol is imba. discuss.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good grief, how many more patches till I can play this again. I have downloaded at least 10 patches. 2-3 of them have been 1GB or bigger. Most have been 100-300MB.

Dungeon Defenders move out the way!

Good grief, how many more patches till I can play this again. I have downloaded at least 10 patches. 2-3 of them have been 1GB or bigger. Most have been 100-300MB.

Dungeon Defenders move out the way!

Don't worry, latest patch makes the game stutter, even more so if you have an AMD gpu.

I'm absolutely loving this game. I hate the pay to win feeling.. oh well, I caved and spent $10. My raider is now geared up:)

Guys, please add me... I'm lookin for competent gaffers who seek fun, victory, and long scenic walks!:)

EDIT: Username - pinksock

holy shit... I just saw the amount of EXP for the jackal... 100,000... are they serious?!

edit: Add me to play! I'm on now!

EDIT: Username - pinksock

It works... several people have already spent over 150 dollars on the game...

bah... I know prices in the beta were worse than they currently are... causing dev to lower prices across the board..

people keep spendin $150 instead of protesting with their dollars... we'll never see price drops -_-

Yo Gotti

Banned
If some tiny minority of people want to drop $150 on this game, so what? Better this than crap like COD Elite.

I've played this game for FREE since the beta and had a blast every time. I've managed to upgrade 1 of my light armor/spinfusor classes, plus unlock Sentinel & the Engineer class w/ small upgrades without spending a dime over less than 10 hours of gameplay.

All you really need is a class with a spinfusor and a few XP upgrades to be competent. If you want more from the game, buck up and pay something for it.

nan0

I'd consider getting one of the smaller gold packages, but since there a surely going to be some free gold/unlock promotions from time to time, I'd hate to spend money on something I may get for free the next day.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'd consider getting one of the smaller gold packages, but since there a surely going to be some free gold/unlock promotions from time to time, I'd hate to spend money on something I may get for free the next day.

Yea why support developers who make good games, they should all be homeless.

I only spent $10... which got me 800g (plus 200 free + the 250 from the facebook promo)

Got two classes, bunch of weapons, and have ~300 left..

Just do it.

nike-just-do-it.jpg

I recently got into this game as well, really fun, but the XP levels are extremely high to unlock things as simple as guns...

I'm not putting any money into this game and therefore I doubt I will be here long enough to get some weapons, which sucks.

I agree that the environmental detail is severely lacking, my PC hungers, yet the game is content to just skate by.
lol skate

bah... I know prices in the beta were worse than they currently are... causing dev to lower prices across the board..

people keep spendin $150 instead of protesting with their dollars... we'll never see price drops -_-

Yep!... You don't have to tell me =/

EDIT: I'll add you now. I'm not a fan of this game by any means, but as I said before, this is the closest thing to tribes without going back to Tribes 2, which while more balanced, the inputs and such are outdated. (I'm good at this game, I swear).

Phosphor112

EDIT 2: Tried "pinksocking" and "Pinksocking" couldn't add you. Said not found.

Well there lies the mistake!

Glad my mistake was poor programming. =/

Oh wait.

I know UE3 runs like trash on AMD, but not as bad as Tribes Ascend. I've got it running in 720p just to squeeze out as many frames as I can. Anything lower will not only be too small but will get even less frames.

EDIT: I'll add you now. I'm not a fan of this game by any means, but as I said before, this is the closest thing to tribes without going back to Tribes 2, which while more balanced, the inputs and such are outdated. (I'm good at this game, I swear).

Phosphor112

Oh wait.

I know UE3 runs like trash on AMD, but not as bad as Tribes Ascend. I've got it running in 720p just to squeeze out as many frames as I can. Anything lower will not only be too small but will get even less frames.

sorry! I swear it was pinksockING

It's actual pinksock ! Everyone add me ! :D

edit: added you phosphor

add me for some games :) I play raider (offense) and use explosives ! :D

The fuck is wrong wit u GAF!?

Why is this thread only 4 pages?

2 pages*

and seriously... I thought this game was gonna be HUGE here! I was shocked when I had to go to the third page to find the OT yesterday..

c'mon gaf, why you ninjas h8in

edit
last one I swear
: The assassin skin is really fucking awesome.. I hope it's a sign for things to come!

Also... if anyone wants to start an account.. please private message me your email.. and I would love to send you a referral :)) <3 (I'll love you forever)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Phosphor112

Oh wait.

I don't think so. UT3 runs at 720p/60fps on even integrated AMD graphics.

God, this runs terribly for me (Q6600 @ 3.2 and a 6770 at 1680x1050). On absolute minimal settings I don't even get 30fps during combat.

Edit: Turned resolution down to 720p and I get an average of like 70-80fps now lol.

Card Boy

Banned
HD 5870. I get about 30 fps medium settings major stuttering. No forced AA or anything like that.

EDIT: i7 3.0ghz - 6g ram

I got a 5870 aswell, 4gig ram and a i7-870 and get 90fps locked. Only water streams on that island map makes the game stutter when your in them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
OK how do motion sensors work in this game? I was playing Drydock, and me and another guy had the gen area pretty well covered. Turrets, motion sensors everything, and we had a guy getting past all of them with cloak. He didn't destroy anything, he's just walking right through them and not getting detected.

OK how do motion sensors work in this game? I was playing Drydock, and me and another guy had the gen area pretty well covered. Turrets, motion sensors everything, and we had a guy getting past all of them with cloak. He didn't destroy anything, he's just walking right through them and not getting detected.

Hmm....

maybe he had a perk that made this possible?

I really tend to ignore the perks.. they all seem virtually useless and their prices are outrageous for how worthless they be

this will help you though!!

http://www.tribesascendwiki.com/Tribes_Ascend_Wiki

sifting through the pages will net your answer :)

Jubbly

It's possible that you placed them poorly, allowing the INF to fly over them or walk around. Make sure you max out their radius, and place them behind pillars, so they're not easily seen.

Hmm....

I really tend to ignore the perks.. they all seem virtually useless and their prices are outrageous for how worthless they be

The perks are far from worthless. In fact, they can make the difference between winning and losing a fight against an enemy player, or keeping you alive long enough to save the flag.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Hmm....

Perks are one of the most important aspects of the game, with Egocentric being the most important one. A pathfinder without Egocentric is no real pathfinder.

As for the guy who walked past everything... Probably a raider with the scramble tool. Turrets can't lock onto him, though I don't know if it works with trip-mines etc.

Also: i know people like to complain that the weapons are to expensive but I think Hi-Rez has done a good job in pricing them. The important one's like the Soldier's spinfusor are priced at 42.000 which makes them achievable within a month of only one round per day. Class unlocks are cheap too nowadays. The 100.000XP weapons are very special one's designed to spice up a class. Not mandatory. Also HiRez wants to make money of course. They are no charity. What's the difference between buying CoD or BF3 for 50 bucks or spending 20 here to get some cool stuff?

If you like the game, get a $10 pack! It allows you to buy some cool gear and you will get VIP status reducing the amount of time you need to invest in future unlocks by a third at least.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This game runs terribly for me as well. It's constantly getting bad frame rate stutters and pauses while I'm moving my viewpoint around. Changing resolution and detail doesn't help.
This box can run anything like a champ usually.

This is on a 6850. I'm guessing all ATI cards have similar problems?

The game looks amazing though, coming from an old-school Tribes player. I want this thing to work right!

I love the game, but I do dislike:

-The incredibly slow XP gain if you're playing purely free.
-Vehicles are nearly useless.
-The traditional Tribes problem of landing on a team that purely attacks/purely defends.

Also, am I crazy, or were snipers WAY WAY more viable in T2? I haven't seen any real amounts of Sentinel play in Ascend, and the base rifle does pretty shit amounts of damage for a weapon that's so slow and has to hit a tiny-ass target moving at 150kmh+. Is the classic energy rifle better, or are snipers as a whole mostly worthless if you're not insanely good at sniping?

Sober

This game runs terribly for me as well. It's constantly getting bad frame rate stutters and pauses while I'm moving my viewpoint around. Changing resolution and detail doesn't help.
This box can run anything like a champ usually.

This is on a 6850. I'm guessing all ATI cards have similar problems?

The game looks amazing though, coming from an old-school Tribes player. I want this thing to work right!
6870 here. I don't have a widescreen monitor so when you are done laughing I'm playing borderless windowed at 1280x1024 on high. I have no real problems except occasionally it will just hitch for a good 2 seconds or so and then continue like nothing happened. Otherwise everything seems fine. Definitely sitting around 60 fps no problem.

Top Bottom