• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trine (PC/PSN) |OT|

Steroyd

Does the wizard learn some fireball spell, later on in the game?

3 player co-op is fun and all, but I'm usually playing with 2 kids who are inexperienced to the art of platforming and thus they're dying alot, and I'm usually left on my own as a wizard getting pwned by non-skeletons most of the time. :(

Wowbagger

Got the PS3 version in the holiday sale and... eh... is stereo reversed for anyone else? I don't understand how anything could be wrong with my setup since sound effects come from the proper speaker in all other games, but in this, skeletons spawn on the right but sound like they come from the left, etc. Very annoying.

Just started this on PC today, which is quite shameful since I've been meaning to once I heard the major love on Idle Thumbs.

I'm liking it a lot, although I wish I could be co-oping it with my girlfriend. I didn't want to play it on PS3 since it seemed so catered around mouse and keyboard, which I think ultimately was the right choice.

I'm really impressed with the level design and complexity of the puzzles. I'm sure there's a few ways of getting around most obstacles, since I just tend to play around and see what happens. I'm having a lot of fun not just dragging a crate to a certain place and jumping up, but rather seeing what crazy shit I can do with my Thief etc. Getting to the XP bottles is probably the best thing about the game so far - a lot of them have had me scratching my head.

Joei

I tried out the demo the other day and it definitely sold me on the game. I'll be picking this up shortly. Quick question though, about long is the game?

Spwn

Joei said:
I tried out the demo the other day and it definitely sold me on the game. I'll be picking this up shortly. Quick question though, about long is the game?

Took me seven hours to complete, take or leave a couple of hours. The achievements give it some replay value, I think.

Joei

Spwn said:
Took me seven hours to complete, take or leave a couple of hours. The achievements give it some replay value, I think.

Sweet, thanks. It seems like it'll be fun game and I definitely want to buy it, but with so much other stuff coming out and other games I'm playing at the moment I didn't want another lengthy title on my plate.

Drastic

Did the controls seem problematic for anyone?

I played the demo today and enjoyed it except when the controls seemed iffy. Primarily jumping consistently.

Bebpo

Banned
I played through this over the last few days on PC and having just finished it all I can do is gush infinite praise on the game.

It was truly a magnificent journey. It was the most beautiful game I've played in my life, traveling along lush and varied locals. The animation on the characters was great and really brought them to life. The music was so good! It added so much to the ambiance of the locations and the two really gave that tolkien fantasy feel perfectly. I even thought the voice acting was top-notch, it made the characters grow on me and the narration gave the whole tale a polished feel.

The gameplay was a complete joy from start to finish. The combat was satisfying whether you're dropping crates on enemies, kicking them across the room or blowing them up with flaming arrows. The platforming, wizard object creation, and grapple swinging worked very well in unison and gave you a lot of leeway on how you wanted to get through the level. The entire game was literally you doing what you wanted and usually you could make it work! Whether it was the combat, the secrets, or simply getting through the level. I thought this was an extremely refreshing approach compared to having a rigid level design where there would only be one exact puzzle solution.

The checkpoint system was utterly brilliant. Being able to simply warp back a few feet if a character dies (while all the enemies killed remain dead and puzzles solved remain solved) took all the frustration out of the game. With a different checkpoint system I could see a version of Trine that is frustrating and unfun to play. But with the system they went for, they were able to carve a balanced game of rising challenge that no matter how difficult it gets, does not frustrate and make the game unfun. Trine is always fun.

Even the length was perfect for a non-$50/60 title. 5+ hours of pure satisfaction is well worth $20-30. Plus it's cool how if you want to clean up the completion on earlier levels the game makes it easier by removing the secrets you've found already and letting you use all your end-game abilities.

While there were some slight flaws like the physics/detection being a little wonky at times and sometimes the skeletons keep on spawning way too long but you don't want to move forward because they might drop an experience bottle, but every game has their flaws and no game is perfect. What I got out of the experience was one of the best action/puzzle/platformers I've played in my life and a beautiful one at that.

At the end of the day I'd put Trine in the upper echelon of gaming classics, and I look forward to replaying it again one day in the far future.

Is there any word on if Frozenbyte is looking into doing a sequel? I played the free DLC level which was short but sweet and it seemed like it was just the start of another adventure?

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'm so glad this is only $9.99! I wanted it but didn't want to get it for $20.

Great game! Beautiful graphics!
Isn't it like $4 right now?

But seriously, what the hell. I am getting shit performance on this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Parallax Scroll said:
Isn't it like $4 right now?

But seriously, what the hell. I am getting shit performance on this.
Turn off anti-aliasing and v-sync and leave everything else turned on.

Shambles

Parallax Scroll said:
That's the default it gave me. What do you mean by turned out? Turn all the effects off?

Currently hunting down system reqs...

I noticed performance was more strained than I expected as well. I turned off the AA on a mobile 5730 and it performed pretty good even with vsync on.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Parallax Scroll said:
That's the default it gave me. What do you mean by turned out? Turn all the effects off?

Currently hunting down system reqs...
Sorry I meant to say turned on.

It ran at 60 fps for me when I turned off v-sync and AA and left everything else on (had 4xAF).

Edit:

Though my hardware might not be a good baseline since I have a Q6600/4850/4GB RAM and I'm not sure how that compares to your system.

Recommended System Requirements:
CPU: Dual-core recommended
RAM: 512 MB (XP), 1 GB (Vista)
VGA: Radeon X800 or GeForce 6800 or better
DX: DirectX® 9.0c
HDD: 600 MB
Sound: DirectX compatible soundcard (not required)

I have that met no problem, except maybe the video card. This is my laptop and I don't game on it much. Video card is a Geforce G210M 512MB. Is that bad?

Edit: The laptop is an Asus UL30V series, a pretty popular model from last year.

Win7 Premium
RAM 4GB DDR3
CPU: Intel Centrino2 ULV 8U7300 Core 2 Duo 1.3GHz

Shambles

It should be good enough, might have to turn things down from very high and AA off but you should still have a playable framerate I would think.

Here's what Windows thinks of my laptop...

m754ib.png

Although this is mostly a "work" laptop, when I bought it reviews said it kicked ass for gaming. Hmm....

One of the "cool" features of this laptop is that it has both a dedicated Nvidia card and integrated Intel graphics, and you can switch between them depending on your performance/battery requirements. One of the "shitty" features is that there's like 4 different ways to toggle which one you're using. 2 menus indicated I was currently using the Nvidia card, but I found a third menu that said I was using Intel graphics. So after switching it there, I get this somewhat improved Windows Performance Thing:

egd2y0.png

Plus I'm getting about 35 FPS in the first area instead of 10. It's a start.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Parallax Scroll said:
One of the "cool" features of this laptop is that it has both a dedicated Nvidia card and integrated Intel graphics, and you can switch between them depending on your performance/battery requirements. One of the "shitty" features is that there's like 4 different ways to toggle which one you're using. 2 menus indicated I was currently using the Nvidia card, but I found a third menu that said I was using Intel graphics. So after switching it there, I get this somewhat improved Windows Performance Thing:

http://i45.tinypic.com/egd2y0.png[IMG]

Plus I'm getting about 35 FPS in the first area instead of 10. It's a start.[/QUOTE]
Make sure your drivers are updated fully for your card as well. That can lead to some major performance improvements.

Parallax Scroll said:
Recommended System Requirements:
CPU: Dual-core recommended
RAM: 512 MB (XP), 1 GB (Vista)
VGA: Radeon X800 or GeForce 6800 or better
DX: DirectX® 9.0c
HDD: 600 MB
Sound: DirectX compatible soundcard (not required)

I have that met no problem, except maybe the video card. This is my laptop and I don't game on it much. Video card is a Geforce G210M 512MB. Is that bad?

Edit: The laptop is an Asus UL30V series, a pretty popular model from last year.

Win7 Premium
RAM 4GB DDR3
CPU: Intel Centrino2 ULV 8U7300 Core 2 Duo 1.3GHz
I remember asking about that card when I was looking for a new CPU.

Some people said that card isn't for gaming but more for blu-ray, media, or everyday computer use.

And you're on a laptop. And I'm pretty sure Trine would be tough to play on a laptop if your laptop isn't made for games.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I remember asking about that card when I was looking for a new CPU.

Some people said that card isn't for gaming but more for blu-ray, media, or everyday computer use.

And you're on a laptop. And I'm pretty sure Trine would be tough to play on a laptop if your laptop isn't made for games.
Well, supposedly this laptop is good for games according to some reviews I read a while back. I don't remember exactly what they benchmarked, but it sounded good.

According to nvidia's website, I'm running this driver: 186.88

Edit: The same website says "The manufacturer of this system requires that you download the driver for your GPU from their support site." I assume they're talking about my laptop manufacturer?

Looking for performance info for this laptop...

Based on PC Magazine’s results, this UL30Vt-x1 laptop is better than most Intel Core 2 Duo-equipped laptops of the same price and also is on par with a 13.3″ Macbook Pro with Intel Core 2 Duo P7550 2.26Ghz.

nnwub7.png

Not trying to turn this into a tech support thread, but this laptop was supposed to be good...

Edit: I just posted in the "I need a new PC" thread for help with updating the graphics driver. I think that's the right place to ask.

soldat7

Finally! The 1.01 patch (for PS3) has been released for US consumption! Here's the rundown (courtesy PlayStation LifeStyle):

Frozenbyte’s Trine was and currently still is one of the PlayStation Network’s best valued games. It also has a platinum trophy to be acquired, something which you don’t normally see in PSN-only titles, however, trophy art was not present for the game as well as various bugs being reported. A European patch was released to help address these problems, and now the patch for the US version of the platformer has finally been released.

The update fixes the following:

* Adds failsafe for unlocking Very Hard difficulty
* Fixes a respawn bug in Iron Forge (co-op) near the first gate
* Fixes a rare crash when the player touches a falling rock as it breaks (Crystal Caverns)
* Fixes a rare crash when a water splash effect is played while the player exits to menus
* Fixes a rare bug that occurred when the player switched characters and died simultaneously
* Fixes final boss animations sometimes not working properly (Tower of Sarek)
* Fixes a co-op respawn bug with the last checkpoint (Tower of Sarek)
* Fixes a collision issue in the Iron Forge level (caused the Thief to take damage from lava)
* Fixes several oxygen gauge bugs
* Fixes autoaim bugs in Tower of Sarek
* Fixes the Boots item to work properly (reduces spike/goo damage)
* Fixes random failure of overwriting save slots in the New Game menu
* Fixes Credits section names

Additionally, the XMB art below (or the lack thereof) has been fixed. My life is finally complete!

209ha93.jpg

I think the game is only $9.99 right now as well...

DoomGyver

Bought it a week ago and already have the platinum. I finished it not a day after the patch came out.

The only thing that bugged me was the auto aim glitch in that one level, and that the framerate drops whenever you have bats/ several skeletons/ or are switching characters.

Edit: oh and the "all boxes no play" trophy can go to hell.

That patch has been available for about a week or so, right? I fired it up last week to finally beat the game (bought it on Day 1) and it was the first time I had played it on the Slim even though I had copied my save over. An interesting thing to note is that somehow after playing the game 2 of my trophies were deleted.... from my actual PSN account itself :lol

I'm not sure how that's possible, but it happened. They were the ninja swinging trophies and the one for finding all XP in the Astral Academy.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Beat this just now. Absolutely splendid game for the $10 I paid for it. Beautiful graphics, usually steady framerate, high production values. I did however have the reversed stereo problem that they seem to not know how to fix. I felt the game's 3 characters would better be suited into one super character. A lot of times the character you need/want is dead (fighting a bunch of enemies and only have the wizard, the last level with the climbing and the thief is dead, etc), and one super character would have been preferable. I understand they wanted multiplayer, but this is pretty much a single person game first.

Dragnet

Really hoping this game gets thrown into the PSN+ mix fairly soon, I need a new PSN game but don't want to pay full price
or pay at all *hint hint*
. Loved the demo too. If I do get it, is it worth buying the DLC level recently released for it?

bee

Full patch 1.08 notes:

* adds support for NVIDIA 3D Vision
* tweaks the antialiasing method, works better now (enabled in the Launcher or "/antialias_samples 8" etc in the game console)
* tweaks the last level once again, now no enemies on Very Hard (for the Achievement)
* fixes minor item description text errors

wow, the game went from unplayable in 3D to perfect in 1 patch :D needless to say it looks pretty amazing, time for another play through

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I seen there was a patch for the PS3 version with the new level add-on coming. Is everyone noticing the trophy glitch or its that aleved?

Ok so I looked up at the patch notes :p

The Platinum for this game was a pain to me....

spicily the "Better than Developers" Trophy... two times I reach the top of the tower and by stupid mistake out of frustrating i fell and die -_-"

took me more than 6 hours to get it... and swore to myself to never try to platinum another PSN title !!

So I finally got around to playing this for the first time tonight after hearing all of the love last year and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm co-oping it with my girlfriend which is making it quite an interesting experience as she looks at a puzzle one way, whereas I usually come up with a different solution. It's lead to a few moments where I've stacked things as a Wizard as she swings along as the Thief.

We're playing it on PC and whilst I find it easy to use with the kayboard and mouse, she has some accuracy issues with the 360 controller. It definitely seems to me that the game was designed with a mouse in mind and that she's definitely at a disadvantage there.

I have to say I'm surprised how fucking beautiful this game is, too. I have everything on max, it never dips below 60fps and the variety of the enivronments are stunning. We stopped tonight having just completed
the castle
and all of the dark gothic imagery was really impressive. The game has a great colour scheme and I love how everything seems to glow, sparkle or reflect all of the vibrant colours around it.

Bog

Junior Ace
Foliorum Viridum said:
So I finally got around to playing this for the first time tonight after hearing all of the love last year and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm co-oping it with my girlfriend which is making it quite an interesting experience as she looks at a puzzle one way, whereas I usually come up with a different solution. It's lead to a few moments where I've stacked things as a Wizard as she swings along as the Thief.

Co-op's great until the absolutely broken final level. That level alone cost them another sale of Trine 2.

Top Bottom