• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trine (PC/PSN) |OT|

Majora

This isn't quite what I was expecting. I was expecting a puzzle game and it's more of a platformer. Which isn't really a problem since I love platformers, but the 'puzzles' are very basic and usually just revolve around spawning boxes or something. Also it seems a bit irrelevant having three different characters unless you're playing in co-op. You may as well have just had one character who could do all this different stuff like grappling, combat and magic and it wouldn't make any difference to the gameplay. I daresay that if they really wanted to maximise the puzzle potential of the game they would need to have the three characters be individual entities but that would really slow down the game and change what it is dramatically.

Solid game so far, 9 levels in, but not quite sure if the price premium is really justified when you compare it to the stuff you can get for ten pounds on XBLA and PSN.

edgefusion

Last level I didn't find to be that punishing, I was expecting a lot worse. Total change of pace from the rest of the game though.

Ridley327

Unless they tweaked it for the PS3, Very Hard is a joke; enemies still go down in one hit, but can deal slightly more damage. It's not much of an issue since all of your stats carry over, meaning that the Thief is practically godlike. The only real noticeable difference is the speed of you-know-what in the final level, but chances are good that you've gotten good enough at it to make it a non-issue.

Goldrusher

whatevermort said:
This gets said a lot. What are we talking, in terms of general hours spent playing through the campaign once?
There are about 15 levels, each one about half an hour long. So 7-8 hours ?
It'll take longer to get all the potions and secrets though.

edgefusion

whatevermort said:
This gets said a lot. What are we talking, in terms of general hours spent playing through the campaign once?

I think its more 'just right' than 'too short'. I don't regret buying it in the least that's for sure and I'm going back through each level getting the experience vials. You'll certainly get a good deal of enjoyment from it.

BeeDog

Goddamn, I hope someone can help me out. I'm missing one lousy Experience bottle in Fangle Forest, and I'm pretty damn sure I've gotten most of the (semi-)obvious ones. Does anyone have any ideas on some obscure 1-potion places the level has? I've gotten the one to the left of the start (and that's usually the one most people miss).

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Sounds like a solid game. I was worried the gameplay wouldn't hold up to the visuals, but it looks like that's not the case. Day 1 when it releases in the U.S.

edgefusion said:
I think its more 'just right' than 'too short'. I don't regret buying it in the least that's for sure and I'm going back through each level getting the experience vials. You'll certainly get a good deal of enjoyment from it.

This. I feel it stayed around for just the right amount of time without becoming tedious or repetitious. I was left wanting more. Which is a good thing for a game of this type.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Man Trine is friggin awesome.

It reminds me soo much of a clash between Crash bandicoot and Pandemonium for some reason.

Greatly loving the fact each level can be solved in multiple ways because of the unique skills of each characters. And you can definitely see on the game design that the developers put alot of thought into creative puzzle solving.

But the last level is a BITCH.

KittyKittyBangBang said:
Im curious as to what pricing is going to be on PSN. I played the demo on PC and liked it but $30 seems like a lot for this title in these post-Shadow Complex days.

If its south of $20 i might bite, that is, when it actually makes it to the US
It's now been permanently adjusted to $20 on PC, from Steam, Impulse, Direct2Drive, and GamersGate, so anyone who was thinking about getting it on PC but was bothered by the price or the price disparity, you're all set.

senahorse

I am glad a lot more people are getting to experience this gem now that the price has dropped. My only complaint I had with the game was that there was no online co-op, but we had a blast on local co-op all the same. *hopes for a sequel* :D

BeeDog

Alright, finished the game earlier today (PS3 version), I recommend it, a fun little platformer (mini-review):

The presentation is top notch, and the overall art direction (especially the wildly different environments) are a huge part of the game's charm. Frozenbyte have managed to make levels that aesthetically don't feel repetitive, which nowadays is a small feat. The PS3 version shows off the game's beauty quite well; most levels are solid when it comes to the framerate, but it takes a nosedive during the second-to-last level, and minor aliasing hurts the image quality. I also love how fast the load times are, and to be honest, this surprised me a lot for being a PS3 port. It's a shame that Frozenbyte didn't bother adding unique trophy pictures (they use the standard XMB trophy icons as has been mentioned, pretty sloppy), and the lack of a XMB start pic is sloppy too (a screengrab of one of the handdrawn cutscenes would've worked wonders). Maybe a patch could fix this, but I doubt it.

When it comes to the gameplay itself, I don't have much to complain about. Since it's a 2D platformer, the levels are straightforward, and my biggest gripe about the game is that the game isn't structured to push your imagination, since every puzzle is simple. The trailer that was on the US blog highlights some wild physical tricks, but the game doesn't reward you one bit for managing to do them, which is a shame. I was quite surprised that the skeletal enemies can follow you around so well, but the combat is pretty uninvolving and really easy (even on Very Hard); if the game forced the player to use more physical solutions to defeat enemies, the game would be so much better. But as it is now, the physics are a nice complement to the standard platforming, and not an evolution as the trailers makes it out to be (I probably sound much harsher than I intend to, since I still really like the game). The lack of different enemy types is also a small downer, but I'm not too bummed about that.

This game is definitely worth its price tag, since you'll get a lot of game out of it. It has a decent amount of levels (that are unique), each with its unique setting, and the game ends right before it starts to get repetitive (the end level shake things up a bit, and isn't nearly as hard as some have made it out to be). There's also a great deal to find in the levels, which will up the replayability a bit. Overall I'd give the game an 8/10, it's a very nice addition to the PSN library and I don't regret buying the game one bit. Just to have a PSN game captivate me like this is enough for me to class it as a good game. :D

BeeDog

Yay, just platinum'd this bitch ("already!?"). Been pretty much comatose for the last few days because of the flu, so played this game a lot; really helped alleviate the boredom.

Majora said:
This isn't quite what I was expecting. I was expecting a puzzle game and it's more of a platformer. Which isn't really a problem since I love platformers, but the 'puzzles' are very basic and usually just revolve around spawning boxes or something..

That sucks, I was hoping it would be more like Gobliiins.
250px-Gobliiins_Cover.jpg

Goldrusher said:
There are about 15 levels, each one about half an hour long. So 7-8 hours ?
It'll take longer to get all the potions and secrets though.

I think it's more like 5 hours, 7 if you replay some levels to get all the secrets and potions.

2 of those 15 levels are less than 10 minutes (even less than 5), and I only remember 2 "long" levels. The usual is 20 minutes for level.

A lot of people compared it with Lost Vikings, but is more similar to a classic Prince of Persia. The 3 characters don't affect too much the gameplay because there is only one in screen, and they share position. It's not very different to have a single character with all the skills of the 3 chars, combined.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DangerousDave said:
I think it's more like 5 hours, 7 if you replay some levels to get all the secrets and potions.

2 of those 15 levels are less than 10 minutes (even less than 5), and I only remember 2 "long" levels. The usual is 20 minutes for level.

A lot of people compared it with Lost Vikings, but is more similar to a classic Prince of Persia. The 3 characters don't affect too much the gameplay because there is only one in screen, and they share position. It's not very different to have a single character with all the skills of the 3 chars, combined.

Well, when one or two of your characters die you see the difference...

TTP said:
Well, when one or two of your characters die you see the difference...

I let the other chars die to go back to the previous checkpoint (or hurry to the previous-next checkpoint if it's near enought). There is no penalty at all, you kept the enemies defeated or the objects that you got, and the checkpoint are close enought.

Mage is only useful for creating-moving objects, and warrior for close combat when you can't get that enemies far enough. The main gameplay is done with the rogue, and changing to other chars during 10 seconds to use one of his skills is more or less like having a single character.

Majora

DangerousDave said:
Mage is only useful for creating-moving objects, and warrior for close combat when you can't get that enemies far enough. The main gameplay is done with the rogue, and changing to other chars during 10 seconds to use one of his skills is more or less like having a single character.

Yeah, the Ninja is definitely the most useful character. Now the pre-release stuff may have been misleading but I thought the aim of the game design was that you could complete any situation with any character, and that isn't true is it? If you get to a section with 8 skeletons and you only have the wizard you may as well just kill yourself because it's too slow to draw boxes and drop them on their heads with the analogue stick. Similarly I would swear there are situations which are impossible with only the knight alive. Whereas the Ninja, with her arrows and grappling hook, is consistently the go-to character. It all just begs the question to me as to why bother with 3 separate characters at all.

As to whether this is a must-buy.....I personally feel it's overpriced and I'm usually the last person to rally against DD prices. It's a good game but I don't see what it offers over the likes of Shadow Complex or other ten pound games to justify costing over 50% more. But if you like platformers it's probably worth it.

Very good game (played it on PS3).
But the
total lack of Bossfights and that fucking mess they call a "last level"
kept it from being absolutely perfect.
But, everyone who likes this type of games can buy without hesitation.

rcl66

Any comparisons between this on PC vs PSN? Played it on a nice PC with 17" monitor but thinking it might be worth playing again (and finishing) on PS3 with big HDTV and 5.1 sound.

obaidr

Banned
ok got this game today and i am totally glad i bought it. I just finished the third chapter. This is the first real platformer (besides uncharted) i played this gen and it was made damn well. I am playing the german version and the speakers are some of the most famous voices on the german market which gives the game a lot of charm. The gameplay is pretty kool but not too deep yet, maybe it gets more tricky later on.

I am playing it on a 52" LCD and i recommend everyone to play it on a big screen as well. Since i sit about 3 meters from my TV and it is upscaled to 1080 i dont see any jaggies and the picture looks very very clean. Specially the water effects look great. The fire and explosion does not good that good unfortunately.

Anyway i recommend everyone to buy this game. Going by the fact that platformers are so rare this gen, this is really a must buy. There is basically no better 2D HD platformer released for the current gen machines.

GO OUT AND BUY THIS GAME :D

No45

OK, I've completed this on hard and I'm now going through on easy to find the last few experience vials and secrets (Easier said than done for some of them!). I have a question though, can I get the very hard trophies using the level select option or do I have to start afresh on a new save/game?

Ridley327

No45 said:
OK, I've completed this on hard and I'm now going through on easy to find the last few experience vials and secrets (Easier said than done for some of them!). I have a question though, can I get the very hard trophies using the level select option or do I have to start afresh on a new save/game?

On the PC, you could do them completely out of order and get the achievement, so I would have to imagine that it works the same on the PS3.

slider

Had a quick go last night. PS3 version. Quite charming. Gfx are good and it feels so retro to me that I'm quite looking forward to exploring more. Stylistically it'ss good too. Some of the VA grates me (the knight!) but I'm pleased with the purchase (deleted Battle Tanks and Bomberman to make space on my HD).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Valkyr Junkie said:
The fact that he doesn't want to spend money on PSN for any good reason at all? Pretty damn confusing to me.

Maybe he prefers PC gaming?

Maybe he has concerns about what happens to PS3 DLC when PS4 comes out?

I spend money on XBLA, but I have real concerns if I'll be able to port the games I buy on it to the next xbox.

i'm really liking this, like everyone says the thief is go-to-gal but i was playing some 3 player co-op last night as the mage and it's very cool learning to fight effectively - or at least surviveas long as possible. favourite move would be standing on a skeletons head while i draw the box that kills him :D

i've been looking for a new co-op game and this one has fit the bill pretty good.

Top Bottom