• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trine (PC/PSN) |OT|

No45

Finally managed to find the last few experience vials last night (Crystal Caverns and the Mines were a pain to find them all!). All I need to do now is play through the game on Very Hard and *gulp* try and complete the final level without dying.

Anyone have any tips for the Master Ninja trophy? Tried it last night at the end of Ruins of the Perished but didn't get a trophy - what are the conditions for a valid swing?

No45

Argh! Spent an hour or so last night going for the 'Better Than The Developers' trophy, managed to get to the top, defeat all the enemies and, when I went to jump up to the final platform I got caught by a conjured spiky ball and lost the thief. Bastard! D:

Still, I think I can do it. Trying to get this last night has given me a new appreciation for the final level, after initially thinking it was pretty cheap (It's not, you just need to know the level. It IS still hard though).

After that's done just need 'Master Ninja' and 'What A View!'. Then to work out which level is best for '
Flower Power
'.

Fantastic game. Initially I felt this was expensive (Particularly in the UK/EU), but I've definitely had my moneys worth.

Spaulding

No45 said:
Argh! Spent an hour or so last night going for the 'Better Than The Developers' trophy, managed to get to the top, defeat all the enemies and, when I went to jump up to the final platform I got caught by a conjured spiky ball and lost the thief. Bastard! D:

Still, I think I can do it. Trying to get this last night has given me a new appreciation for the final level, after initially thinking it was pretty cheap (It's not, you just need to know the level. It IS still hard though).

After that's done just need 'Master Ninja' and 'What A View!'. Then to work out which level is best for '
Flower Power
'.

Fantastic game. Initially I felt this was expensive (Particularly in the UK/EU), but I've definitely had my moneys worth.

Use the revival gem in the last level. This way you can die once and still get the trophy. Worked for me though :D

For "Master Ninja" I suggest the second level. Nearly at the end of that level is a large wooding ceiling. Pretty easy to get that trophy there...

I was able to get
"Flower Power"
in the last level as well. Just use the magician to create a floating triangle and use the thief's grappling hook...

"What a view" can be established in any open (no ceiling) level. Just make sure to equip the items to create more planks and boxes...

No45

Spaulding said:
Use the revival gem in the last level. This way you can die once and still get the trophy. Worked for me though :D
Well fuck, I had that equipped on the Thief when I died at the top and assumed it wouldn't matter. :lol

Thanks for the tips though. ^_^

No45

Using the revival didn't work for me unfortunately. Got to the top again, then proceeded to fall down the enemy spawn pits. :lol

Managed it next time though. I can't recommend this game enough, despite the price tag. It's given me as much enjoyment and playtime as many recent full price retail releases.

Oneself

Somewhat old, but for those who haven't seen it the PSN thread, it's finally coming out in North America! October 22nd, mark your calendars!:D

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Played and finished it today, only need to get the Better Than Devs trophy to get my platinum.

This game is absolutely amazing, easily one of my favorite downloadable titles. I love how they kept the puzzles so open ended. I'd box 'n plank my way through entire levels, only to ditch that in the next and go for the hardcore platform route with the Thief. I agree with the sentiments in the thread: once you give her the best power ups, she's by far the most useful character.

This is one of those games where I really have to struggle to find a single fault. Iron Forge went on for a bit too long, maybe? Otherwise it's all there: excellent pacing, atmosphere (that Ruins level, omg), good music, perfect platform/puzzle variation... Frozenbyte really nailed it

Oh and maybe this is just me, but the game is really picky when it comes to recognizing triangles. Most of the time 4 boxes fall down before I finally get my floating platform :p

-PXG-

Oneself said:
Somewhat old, but for those who haven't seen it the PSN thread, it's finally coming out in North America! October 22nd, mark your calendars!:D

That will be such a great day. Trine and Capcom Fight Club all in the same day :D

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Spaulding said:

This didn't work for me... I equipped it on her, died once on the way up and proceeded to beat the level with no extra deaths. The trophy didn't unlock afterwards. Did you perhaps play the pc version? Could be that they removed this from the psn version.

I'm getting the pattern down of getting up the tower, but once I'm up it gets really tense. It'd be easy if I could quickly draw a floating platform to grab onto, but like I said, it fails more often than not with the controller.

No45

Darunia said:
I'm getting the pattern down of getting up the tower, but once I'm up it gets really tense. It'd be easy if I could quickly draw a floating platform to grab onto, but like I said, it fails more often than not with the controller.
I had the same problem as you with recognising the floating platform. I didn't use one at all on the last level purely because I couldn't guarantee I'd get what I needed.

In fact I used the Thief exclusively, unless there was a part where I might have no choice but to take a little damage, in which case I'd swap out - using the other characters as a longer health bar.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I just did it! I mimicked what I saw in this yt vid and went all the way to the right side at the summit. This way I wasn't swarmed with attackers and I could fend them off while I concentrated on getting a floating platform + bridge up top. Then I switched back to the thief and swung up. Yay! Hard but very satisfying achievement, Platinum is mine.

kassatsu

Banned
Patch is up on EU PSN.

http://www.psnstores.com/?p=382

New background image + new trophy icons

Finnish game developer Frozenbyte and French publisher Nobilis Publishing are proud to announce the release of a patch for Trine on the PlayStation Network.

We received great feedback from the players and we listened. We are now thrilled to be able to offer them an even better experience playing Trine.

Enjoy the new background image, the all new custom graphics Trophies and many more improvements and optimizations to the game (including Finnish localization).

Trine™ is a fantasy action / platform game where the player can create and use physics-based objects to beat hazardous puzzles and threatening enemies. Three heroes are bound to a mysterious device called the Trine in a quest to save the kingdom from evil and the player can at any time freely choose whoever is best suited for the upcoming challenge or puzzle.

DOWNLOAD THE PATCH THIS FRIDAY ON THE EUROPEAN PLAYSTATION NETWORK

acevans2

So is nobody buying this since it came out on the US PSN store? No bump since then...

I really dig the game. I don't find the characters' chatter very interesting, but the gameplay is great. I didn't even know it had the leveling up stuff in it.

Recommended!

Ranger X

I think the game is freaking expensive. Let me bet this will have horrible sales.

I personally caved in today and bought it but I cancelled other purshases I would have made. My wallet isn't an infinite source of water.

-PXG-

I will tomorrow. Been at GF's all weekend. About damn time they released it here. Was it so hard to push the damn button to put it up? :/

Yeah. I bet it was some licensing/ copyright paperwork that was holding shit up

Bebpo

Banned
Picked it up and did the first level. Had previously played the PC demo but waited for the PS3 version as it was going to be cheaper (though it turns out it's the same price now) and because it felt more like a console game.

Fun and I look forward to playing it all, though the graphics took a big hit from the PC version.

No45

Ranger X said:
I think the game is freaking expensive. Let me bet this will have horrible sales.

I personally caved in today and bought it but I cancelled other purshases I would have made. My wallet isn't an infinite source of water.

US PSN version is as cheap as it gets I'm afraid. I paid the UK pricing for it (£15.99 I think) and I don't regret it one bit.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I bought the wrong version :( Shortly after I beat it on PS3 I got a new pc and tried the Trine demo on it. Game looks insane on the pc, ps3's a definite downgrade

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't think any effects or lighting are missing on PS3, but the resolution is downgraded. I'm not sure if the game is even running at 720p.

Barrett2

Bebpo said:
Picked it up and did the first level. Had previously played the PC demo but waited for the PS3 version as it was going to be cheaper (though it turns out it's the same price now) and because it felt more like a console game.

Fun and I look forward to playing it all, though the graphics took a big hit from the PC version.

I was really excited about this, but the delay killed it for me. We're now into late October, and I just bought 3 effing games from Best Buy. Not sure i'll ever get around to buying this. Shame, because I was excited for it a few months ago.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lord Error said:
I don't think any effects or lighting are missing on PS3, but the resolution is downgraded. I'm not sure if the game is even running at 720p.
The PC version was very sensitive to resolution and anti-aliasing. I could run it at 1920x1080 with 60 fps, but if I enabled anti-aliasing of any sort it killed the framerate (4x AA resulted in a MASSIVE performance drop on my PC). This is on a GTX260, so imagine how the PS3 GPU would struggle.

I just played through the first two levels of the game and I'm about to start the Wolvercote Catacombs. It's a damn good game so far. But I do wish the characters were able to grapple on to ledges and pull themselves up. Oh well, I just need to learn time my jumps better! :lol

Darunia said:
I bought the wrong version :( Shortly after I beat it on PS3 I got a new pc and tried the Trine demo on it. Game looks insane on the pc, ps3's a definite downgrade
Haven't played the PS3 version, but agreed with the bolded part. Especially with AA, though I don't necessarily mind the framerate taking a hit due to that with a game this pretty.

denomes

So I finally caved and bought this last night. Great game so far!

I have a question though. When I highlight the full game in the XMB no background image is displayed, music only plays. Is it like this for everyone or did mine just install bad? I played the demo and noticed it does have a background image akin to the PC boxart.

I noticed above the EU patch mentions "a new background image" so maybe they forgot it and are patching it in.

BeeDog

denomes said:
So I finally caved and bought this last night. Great game so far!

I have a question though. When I highlight the full game in the XMB no background image is displayed, music only plays. Is it like this for everyone or did mine just install bad? I played the demo and noticed it does have a background image akin to the PC boxart.

I noticed above the EU patch mentions "a new background image" so maybe they forgot it and are patching it in.

Yeah, when the EU version first was released, it was missing a XMB BG image and trophy pictures. But now they've patched it in; I assume the US version is yet to be patched.

denomes

BeeDog said:
Yeah, when the EU version first was released, it was missing a XMB BG image and trophy pictures. But now they've patched it in; I assume the US version is yet to be patched.

Thanks for the tip!

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Anyone know of a good spot to get the "hit 3 enemies with one bow shot" trophy? It's the only one I need to get the Platinum. I don't know how I didn't get it during the course of my 2 playthroughs.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
bone_and_sinew said:
Anyone know of a good spot to get the "hit 3 enemies with one bow shot" trophy? It's the only one I need to get the Platinum. I don't know how I didn't get it during the course of my 2 playthroughs.

basically at any point where a lot of skeletons spawn. make sure you equip the thief with the '4 arrows per shot' upgrade and then aim upwards with the bow. The arrows will rain down on the ground and most likely hit 3 enemies.

Goldrusher

JWong said:
Try the PS3 and PC demo to see which controls you like. I think that's the deal breaker.
Not really a valid argument, as you can use a (PS3) controller on PC...
But it's a good game on PS3.

Bebpo

Banned
JWong said:
Try the PS3 and PC demo to see which controls you like. I think that's the deal breaker.

Or the graphics :p

It's really a win/lose lose/win situation. PS3 is more fun to control the action (though the magic dude drawing is easier with a mouse), PC looks and runs much better. Unless your PC rig can't handle it, then it'll look the same and might as well go with PS3 version.

Goldrusher said:
Not really a valid argument, as you can use a (PS3) controller on PC...
But it's a good game on PS3.

I never knew you could use a PS3 controller on a PC. Is there official support? Like with rumble and everything?

JWong

Banned
Bebpo said:
Or the graphics :p

It's really a win/lose lose/win situation. PS3 is more fun to control the action (though the magic dude drawing is easier with a mouse), PC looks and runs much better. Unless your PC rig can't handle it, then it'll look the same and might as well go with PS3 version.

I never knew you could use a PS3 controller on a PC. Is there official support? Like with rumble and everything?
I actually found it is equally hard to draw with the mouse. It's faster for making ramps, but boxes and triangles don't work out too well because I'm a bit twitchy with the mouse.

I do like grappling on the PS3 though because it requires no mouse aiming.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I bought this when it first came out on ps3 but was determined not to play it until I could start it up with 3 player co-op and oh man this game is great.

My biggest complaint though is that the thief is too independant. The wizard and the warrior have to work together every step of the way to make it through but the thief can generally do most things herself.

What this means is that there ends up being a lot of downtime for the thief because you've already passed all the obstacles and are waiting for the warrior and mage to catch up. I imagine in single player the warrior gets next to no use.

But aside from that, 3 player is a blast discussing how to all 3 characters passed each obstacle. That is one nice thing about co-op. You can't use the thief to bypass stuff because all 3 characters have to get through every obstacle.

AniHawk

So I bought this last week and played it and beat it today. Took about 6.5-7 hours to get through it and enjoyed it a lot, despite a LOT of platforming recently (after NSMBW, Rabbids Go Home, LostWinds 2, and A Boy and his Blob, it's starting to wear and I'm looking for a change of pace).

I normally don't like 3D models in a sidescroller, but this is just beautiful. The visuals, music, and voice work make this like some sort of Fable platformer or something. The only time I didn't care for the visuals were near the end, when there were few cool colors used at all. Just really hurt my eyes.

Other than that, I like the way the story's presented: during load times and dialogue between characters during the level as you play. If you're going to put a story in a platformer (with voice work and all that jazz), this is how you do it. I'd say this is up there with NyxQuest, probably a little higher, of platformers I enjoyed from 2009.

krioto

Finally platinumed this last night - the last level on very hard got a bit annoying.

On PSN this is only £7.99 - bargain.

It has been so tempting to buy this on Steam and PSN but I really want to wait for the XBLA release of this, I can only play the PSN demo so many times :(

Top Bottom