• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trine (PC/PSN) |OT|

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Shurs said:
Here's a summation of the Game Trailers review, for those worried about spoilers.

Trine is short and doesn't do anything that you haven't done in games before. It doesn't push the envelope when it comes to graphics but has great style. The co-op, while nothing new, is pretty fun. The game is polished and put together well.

Yeah, the review was weird. "Nothing new, but fun! But nothing new." When was the last platformer that had you switching between characters with distinctive styles on the fly while figuring out physics puzzles/platforming and smashing enemies? I honestly can't remember. Lost Vikings?

iratA

Shins said:
AA is an unnecessary drain for what you get.

I'd say it depends on the game. Ideally though I'd love to see jaggies eliminated altogether, especially on future console technology.

Sander Scamper

Neo Member
I sit the proper distance (about a metre) from my 22" 1680x1050 widescreen and have perfectly fine vision. I can see the difference between AA and no-AA, but mostly, what I see is the halving of my framerates.

What I said about modern graphics cards is correct though, they do not prioritise AA, and forcing an antiquated technology designed to "fudge" the low res graphics of earlier times on modern games will do little but destroy your framerates.

But by all means, go for it.

Sander Scamper said:
I sit the proper distance (about a metre) from my 22" 1680x1050 widescreen and have perfectly fine vision. I can see the difference between AA and no-AA, but mostly, what I see is the halving of my framerates.

What I said about modern graphics cards is correct though, they do not prioritise AA, and forcing an antiquated technology designed to "fudge" the low res graphics of earlier times on modern games will do little but destroy your framerates.

But by all means, go for it.

What the hell GPU are you using? AA loves bandwidth and fillrate and modern GPUS have an obscene amount of both of those. Ofcourse modern GPUs are designed around delivering excellent performance with antialiased graphics what would make you think otherwise? This is how they're benchmarked at any reputable site, so of course Nvidia and ATI care about performance with AA enabled.

The hit from 4xmsaa on my GTX 260 is close to non existant in the vast majority of cases, and its very rarely more than 10% or 15%.

I'm sorry but you're talking complete shit here, I don't even know where to start with your last comment.

Neat little game. Playing on the PC.

Honestly the main attraction is sort of the graphics. If it didn't look this good I'm not sure I'd be playing but that's the case with a lot of games.

And the actual gameplay is pretty solid so it's not a crime in this case. The physics based nature of everything is nice. Hopefully we get more 2-D games like this.

Zeliard

brain_stew said:
What the hell GPU are you using? AA loves bandwidth and fillrate and modern GPUS have an obscene amount of both of those. Ofcourse modern GPUs are designed around delivering excellent performance with antialiased graphics what would make you think otherwise? This is how they're benchmarked at any reputable site, so of course Nvidia and ATI care about performance with AA enabled.

The hit from 4xmsaa on my GTX 260 is close to non existant in the vast majority of cases, and its very rarely more than 10% or 15%.

I'm sorry but you're talking complete shit here, I don't even know where to start with your last comment.

Anti-aliasing is an "antiquated technology" now, brain_stew. :lol

Sander Scamper said:

What does "they do not prioritise AA" even mean? Can you quantify this with modern mainstream GPU's architecture?

TheFallen

The GameTrailers review sold me on the gameplay alone (screw their score). Tempted to get the PSN version but probably will wait till the XBLA version as my game time is probably going to be devoured by Splosion Man, MvC2, Shadow Complex for the next few weeks.

TheFallen said:
The GameTrailers review sold me on the gameplay alone (screw their score). Tempted to get the PSN version but probably will wait till the XBLA version as my game time is probably going to be devoured by Splosion Man, MvC2, Shadow Complex for the next few weeks.

If you want it on Xbox then eMail FrozenByte and Atlus.

zweifuss

I love this game, mixing 3d graphics with 2d playing field = WIN in my book. More developers should do this kind of thing. It worked for SF4, it worked for Bionic Commando: Rearmed... Castlevania anyone? Dracula X Chronicles is a fine example, even though it is rather low-poly. Also, the realistic physics is a nice addition. The 2D format is not dead by a long shot, and I'm glad. I do miss the pixels though, but I'm sure there is a niche for that too in this modern age. I say bring on the 2.5D games!

Malio

This is a great. game A little short, but worth the cash.

And uh, I think it *is* coming to XBLA. It's a perfect fit for it, really.

senahorse

Finished this little gem yesterday. Had a great time playing through it co-op with a buddy AND on a comfy couch :D. Big thanks to Chris Remo, as were it not for his praise for the game I probably would have missed it. Oh and as for
the last level, it was a pretty weak finish to the game.
. Also I didn't find the game too short, but I guess it was when you consider the price.

You know I'm playing through this and it just keeps getting better and improving. It's really a neat little clever game. Deserves a bit more praise and attention than its gotten so far on GAF although I guess that's partially because it hasn't hit the PS3 yet. But when it does PS3 guys are getting a real nice game here.

BeeDog

Stoney Mason said:
You know I'm playing through this and it just keeps getting better and improving. It's really a neat little clever game. Deserves a bit more praise and attention than its gotten so far on GAF although I guess that's partially because it hasn't hit the PS3 yet. But when it does PS3 guys are getting a real nice game here.

Speaking of which... what the fuck happened to the PS3 version? :<

vocab

BeeDog said:
Speaking of which... what the fuck happened to the PS3 version? :<

They don't want to release a buggy ass ps3 build, and they care about the quality of their game. No one wants want to drop $20 on a game that barely functions or runs like shit, and if they do and find out, the end result won't be pretty. I'm all for delay, and definitely not release quick, patch later bullshit most games seem to get these days.

Slaylock

Here's some (new?) pictures of the PS3 version: http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/143/14304233/imgs_1.html.

Maybe this means they plan to release it soon.

trine-20090810053036691.jpg

trine-20090810053042144.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mirimar said:
If this releases same week on PSN as Shadow Complex on XBLA, I will cry =(

It won't intervene in the summer of arcade. But it better soon after. Trine is far far away for Xbox Live. Winter I'd say.

Finished it. Very clever, highly enjoyable experience that you appreciate more and more as you play through. Sort of a perfect PSN, XBLA style title.

I love that it's not frustrating or terribly difficult also and that its less about the combat and more above about the physics and the puzzles.

Short but enjoyable so. It doesn't wear out its welcome.

Ridley327

Oddly enough, that news blurb seems timed to the Steam sale. Maybe they're trying to get fence-sitters to get it on the PC?

ColR100

Chris Remo said:
Also, there are some all-star commenters on that story. Jesus.
Is that an example of G4's audience? If so.......:lol

Really enjoyed the PC demo of this though, and will be picking it up when it finally hits XBLA.

I was waiting for $20 but this is close enough... downloaded now. I don't have PS3, and this kind of game seems like it would work best with a mouse anyway (based on the demo).

-PXG-

I wants mah Trine on mah Tripl3! NOW!

And what the hell was the the GT review? It sounds very positive throughout the whole thing, and then they give it a 7.8!?! A C+? The fuck is that? What else do they want from a $20 downloadable game? Shit.

Volcynika

-PXG- said:
I wants mah Trine on mah Tripl3! NOW!

And what the hell was the the GT review? It sounds very positive throughout the whole thing, and then they give it a 7.8!?! A C+? The fuck is that? What else do they want from a $20 downloadable game? Shit.

Pleeeeeeeease tell me you're not throwing a fit over a 7.8.

-PXG-

Volcynika said:
Pleeeeeeeease tell me you're not throwing a fit over a 7.8.

I'm not angry, just annoyed. Just seems like an odd score compared to what they said about the game. C+ isn't a good grade anyway.

The score isn't going to stop me from buying or enjoying the game. Hell, I'd still get it if it got a D-. All that matters is if the game is fun for me.

Slaylock said:
Here's some (new?) pictures of the PS3 version: http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/143/14304233/imgs_1.html.

Maybe this means they plan to release it soon.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/101/1012740/trine-20090810053036691.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/101/1012740/trine-20090810053042144.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hope that's not how the final version will look...shit is blurry as hell *hugs gaming PC*.

-PXG- said:
I'm not angry, just annoyed. Just seems like an odd score compared to what they said about the game. C+ isn't a good grade anyway.

The score isn't going to stop me from buying or enjoying the game. Hell, I'd still get it if it got a D-. All that matters is if the game is fun for me.
The fuck school did you go to that 78% is a C+?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Bpatrol said:
The fuck school did you go to that 78% is a C+?
Maybe if you do some extra credit or come in a lunch break your teacher could bump it up to a B-.

Top Bottom