• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trudeau (Canadian PM) to be one of first world leaders to march in gay pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rbk_3

tumblr_nrsa89BMKI1uzv97fo1_400.gif

Also, I did not realize Wynne's a lesbian.

I don't care what her sexual ordination is. I do however care that she is running Ontario into the ground.

ZeroX03

Banned
Glitter bobmed by protestors?? What were they protesting?! Seems like something to embrace at an event like that.

Protesting TPPA

It was an odd choice of time, place and method to protest.

But NZ is also the country that throws dildos at politicians.

Ugh

This is the news I see from Canada, and the news I see from the US is shit like that one lawyer who wanted to legalize public executions of gay people

I'm so close, I could just sneak into Canada in less than a day lol

Log4Girlz

I've been paying attention to American politics lately because it's like an interesting tv drama / comedy, but comparing that to articles like this just keeps making me feel more and more fortunate to be a Canadian - especially with Trudeau over Harper.

I'm American, but what you say is true though.

Aske

Awesome. This is the kind of news that makes me proud to be Canadian.

I was initially amazed that it's taken until 2016 for a PM to walk in a Pride parade, but then I remembered how different things were in the early 2000s; and of course it was never going to happen during the last decade with Harper on the throne. Things have changed a lot in the last ten years, and for the better.

Ugh

This is the news I see from Canada, and the news I see from the US is shit like that one lawyer who wanted to legalize public executions of gay people

I'm so close, I could just sneak into Canada in less than a day lol

I think we can definitely work together on this. I really want out of America, haha.

Zips

The contrast between this and what's going on in the U.S. makes it stand out even more.

Things still happily seem to be largely so far so good with Trudeau. It's been a great breath of fresh air after stagnating and suffocating under Harper. He still needs to get cracking on election reform though - maybe there's been developments on that I haven't heard about, but it seems like it's faded from focus.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The contrast between this and what's going on in the U.S. makes it stand out even more.

And yet, I felt the exact opposite in the late 2000s. Obama bringing in hope, while Harper was bringing in dope.

I'm old enough that I feel these things flip flop back and forth. I've seen both countries alternate between caveman conversativsm and intelligent progressivism.

I'm reminded that this was a book not long ago:

OUqRjFZ.jpg

Zips

And yet, I felt the exact opposite in the late 2000s. Obama bringing in hope, while Harper was bringing in dope.

I'm old enough that I feel these things flip flop back and forth. I've seen both countries alternate between caveman conversativsm and intelligent progressivism.

I'm reminded that this was a book not long ago:

True. Obama seems like a much better leader than the candidates currently poised to follow him are likely to be, and we'll see who follows up after Trudeau (assuming he keeps up with the positive track).

It is nice to actually be in the country with a leader like that now though. I'm hopeful that with Canada traditionally being more left than the States, and the right being weakened here by Harper's loss, more will actually be able to get done under Trudeau. If we're lucky the spectrum here may shift further left overall, and the Conservatives will be forced to move with it and give up trying to follow in the Republicans' image.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Toronto's previous mayor was also the straightest, whitest, mannest guy in the world but he was more exciting than most Detroit mayors. Truly Toronto is the most diverse city in the world.
Not true at all, Bobby spoke Patois.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Awesome! Love everything Trudeau has done so far, complete antithesis of Harper, who was a total jackass and one of the worst PMs in Canadian history IMO

I've heard it mentioned before but I didn't know it was that good.

Ottawa pretty much laid the foundations for the modern day internet in the 90s. The tech scene was so big that they started direct flights from Ottawa to San Jose(since ended) just because of our tech sector.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/ottawas-resurgent-tech-scene/article26430302/

Ottawa region has a dying developer presence (with the demise of Nortel and BlackBerry). Waterloo is where it's at now.

While it was certainly on life support after the demise of Nortel, you're actually horribly wrong.

Every major high tech and telecom company that has a presence in Ottawa has actually expanded their operations here in the last few years, that includes Ericsson, Huawei, Ciena, Alcatel/Nokia. And we still have big Ottawa-native companies still here and still growing, like QNX and Mitel. And now even Apple is moving here to leverage Ottawa's experienced and knowledgeable tech sector and to leverage the big presence of QNX here.

That doesn't even count the massive amounts of startups we have in the city, led by Shopify, which is by far Canada's most successful startup in years.

And Blackberry was never big in Ottawa outside of QNX, which was a recent purchase for them.

Awesome! Love everything Trudeau has done so far, complete antithesis of Harper, who was a total jackass and one of the worst PMs in Canadian history IMO

Ottawa pretty much laid the foundations for the modern day internet in the 90s. The tech scene was so big that they started direct flights from Ottawa to San Jose(since ended) just because of our tech sector.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/ottawas-resurgent-tech-scene/article26430302/

While it was certainly on life support after the demise of Nortel, you're actually horribly wrong.

Every major high tech and telecom company that has a presence in Ottawa has actually expanded their operations here in the last few years, that includes Ericsson, Huawei, Ciena, Alcatel/Nokia. And we still have big Ottawa-native companies still here and still growing, like QNX and Mitel. And now even Apple is moving here to leverage Ottawa's experienced and knowledgeable tech sector and to leverage the big presence of QNX here.

That doesn't even count the massive amounts of startups we have in the city, led by Shopify, which is by far Canada's most successful startup in years.

And Blackberry was never big in Ottawa outside of QNX, which was a recent purchase for them.

Apple is moving there to poach QNX employees for their new car business initiative. QNX is the underlying software for "Apple in the Car".

And no, BlackBerry was huge in Ottawa as well. I believe one of their first call tests were in Ottawa.

I'll give you that Ottawa has Shopify though, which is a big deal.

More like Kitchener.

They're basically the same thing. :p

And Kitchener is growing rapidly because of the university near it.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Apple is moving there to poach QNX employees for their new car business initiative. QNX is the underlying software for "Apple in the Car".

Yes, so does that not contradict your "dying" statement? The fact that they're moving to Ottawa to leverage a valuable tech resource?

And no, BlackBerry was huge in Ottawa as well. I believe one of their first call tests were in Ottawa.

Even if I concede that they had a decent presence(and still do because of QNX), huge is a massive overstatement. Blackberry was and still is huge in Waterloo, they were never huge in Ottawa.

Even in their heydays, no one in my university who ever had an internship at RIM was ever hired at the Ottawa office, almost all positions were at Waterloo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom