• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

BadAss2961

burris-hbo.jpg

Ray's superior who suspiciously arrived at Casper's bungalow before Ani in the third episode. He also directed Ray a few times in the early episodes and was with the black officer(who Paul was held up by) and mayor before the cops went to the setup in the fourth episode.
The only supporting characters that have been given a chance to leave an impression are the ones closest to the main 4, who haven't been important to the main plot. Velcoro's ex and son, Bezzerides' family and old partner, Woodrugh's mom and girlfriend, Frank's wife... Meanwhile there's a mess of faceless antagonists going into the final episode.

This season's been okay, but disappointing.

Imm0rt4l

Vaughn was great this episode. Shame that he was given so much pretentious dialogue to work with in the previous episodes.

I'm really looking forward to the finale.

yeah i want in on this too.. lemme just roll a joint right quick
I thought that was pretty funny myself. It was weird enough that Ani's initial reaction to the molly was atypical. How is smoking a joint supposed to make sense of this shit, it's difficult enough sober.

That was a really great episode. Things have honestly gotten really interesting. This was also easily Frank's episode, since his goals are just super straight-forward now.

I was bummed about Paul, but then I remembered he's probably the worst of the main characters. Still, kinda lame to have him go through all that and then get offed at the last minute.

Vaughn was great this episode. Shame that he was given so much pretentious dialogue to work with in the previous episodes.

I'm really looking forward to the finale.

I thought that was pretty funny myself. It was weird enough that Ani's initial reaction to the molly was atypical. How is smoking a joint supposed to make sense of this shit, it's difficult enough sober.

I honestly feel real bad for Vaughn because I doubt this is going to lead to the career resurgence he was hoping for, but more because of how horrible his lines have frequently been. He's really giving it his all acting wise.

What if the kids were the true detectives?

You know, Frank, we really are the True Detectives.

Imm0rt4l

I honestly feel real bad for Vaughn because I doubt this is going to lead to the career resurgence he was hoping for, but more because of how horrible his lines have frequently been. He's really giving it his all acting wise.
I agree. He has a nice intensity about him. But then he's forced to open his mouth. Fwiw I recall he's been casted in another more serious role.

Oh man, Oh Ray and Antigone are gonna bone while Paul gets murdered in a ludicrous shoot out.

But yeah, the acting is fantastic. This scene between Ray and Antigone is good. Music is working for me.

Jarmel

Banned
That hotel room info exposition dump was completely unintelligible and I've been able to follow almost all of the season. That was a horrible dump not only conceptually but also how it was executed, like the characters were rambling.

The only thing left unanswered at this point is whether the two kids aka birdman are still pulling strings and involved in some way. Caspere's murder was done at a specific time and in a every specific way to get this whole path started (Frank would never get involved if his money wasn't involved and the cops would never be involved if the body wasn't left in a public place to be found). They've clearly been planning their revenge for a while and knew almost everything about the parties, the group, the money, and diamonds so it stands to reason this is all part of their elaborate plan. Looks like it will all culminate to this meeting where everyone will likely be, including birdman.

If only poor gay Paul had been honest about being super gay. He'd still be with us.

Love Frank literally just burning his life down.

Sucks that Paul died though.

or maybe the show has done a sub-optimal job?

There was literally a 4 minute scene in the latest episode where Bezerides and Velcoro piece together the Diamond heist and the Caspere murder, and rundown the motivations and facts play by play...and in this thread we have "explain it to me like i'm five" the show laid all the cards on the table quite definitively, its on you to pay attention.

The only thing left unanswered at this point is whether the two kids aka birdman are still pulling strings and involved in some way. Caspere's murder was done at a specific time and in a every specific way to get this whole path started (Frank would never get involved if his money wasn't involved and the cops would never be involved if the body wasn't left in a public place to be found). They've clearly been planning their revenge for a while and knew almost everything about the parties, the group, the money, and diamonds so it stands to reason this is all part of their elaborate plan. Looks like it will all culminate to this meeting where everyone will likely be, including birdman.

I don't htink the people who killed Casper had anything to do with Frank or wanting to see him get burned. That was just a coincidence...at least I think. Even Blake says that the Russians and the Mayor were aiming to screw Frank over without needing Casper dead.

Jarmel

Banned
There was literally a 4 minute scene in the latest episode where Bezerides and Velcoro piece together the Diamond heist and the Caspere murder, and rundown the motivations and facts play by play...and in this thread we have "explain it to me like i'm five" the show laid all the cards on the table quite definitively, its on you to pay attention.

The scene was rubbish of the highest tier. They're literally rambling for five minutes and the audience is assumed to be following it.

This season desperately needed an editor. There's too much bloat everywhere.

pantsmith

No, it's also way overwritten. The whole orphans as killers component is just a muddled mess.

We learned that no one in the vast criminal underworld knows who killed Caspere.

We also learn that two kids survived a jewel heist where Caspere killed their family.

It would then make sense that Birdman is one of the two kids, grown up.

Thats not especially convoluted.

Tripon

I don't htink the people who killed Casper had anything to do with Frank or wanting to see him get burned. That was just a coincidence...at least I think. Even Blake says that the Russians and the Mayor were aiming to screw Frank over without needing Casper dead.
Mayor's kid. The actual mayor didn't know shit.

Jarmel

Banned
We learned that no one in the vast criminal underworld knows who killed Caspere.

We also learn that two kids survived a jewel heist where Caspere killed their family.

It would then make sense that Birdman is one of the two kids, grown up.

Thats not especially convoluted.

This is a subplot that didn't need to exist.

Tripon

The scene was rubbish of the highest tier. They're literally rambling for five minutes and the audience is assumed to be following it.

This season desperately needed an editor. There's too much bloat everywhere.
You ask the show to explain it to you as clear as day, and you still complain. At some point, this is not your show.

Jarmel

Banned
You ask the show to explain it to you as clear as day, and you still complain. At some point, this is not your show.

This season certainly isn't if they have to explain the season in a lazy exposition dump one episode before the finale. If other seasons are like this then I'll be perfectly happy dismissing them too.

It literally sets the events of the season in motion.

So we have potentially a coincidence that sets off the events in the show instead of it being deliberate. Oh wow.

Ben Caspere's death was simply a revenge killing. However, since he's a corrupt piece of shit involved in a lot of illicit activity, all the criminals and corrupt pieces of shit connected to him freaked out and accidentally unraveled their own conspiracies and are now trying to cover it up.

Weevilone

I feel that his character brought nothing to the table in all honesty. He could have been a background character with no screentime of his own. He really had no reason to be in this season.

He basically was a background character, or filler. We don't need filler when we're watching an 8 episode season. His character literally meant nothing to the entire storyline. And sadly, as far as I can tell, he was killed by a dude that should have been dead from Dexter.

Tripon

This season certainly isn't if they have to explain the season in a lazy exposition dump one episode before the finale. If other seasons are like this then I'll be perfectly happy dismissing them too.

So we have potentially a coincidence that sets off the events in the show instead of it being deliberate. Oh wow.
Season 1 did it in ep 7 as well. Except they did it with Rust breaking in somewhere as part of the exposition. Unless you automatically understood how the killer was using schools and churches to target victims.

Kinda wish that they had it so Birdman was eliminating everyone involved with the 1992 diamond heist. Connect Birdman and have a definitive string running throughout the case.

This was the first episode where I cared about Frank and all three of the detectives.

I do really like that they've basically snatched the rug from beneath everyone and now everyone's desperate. It injects a lot of energy and menace into what's happening.

I think the theme of this season is basically 'just be honest with yourself so some douchebag corrupt cop doesn't shoot you in the back of the head'. Now that Ray and Antigone have ditched being regular cops and are being honest about their damage and Frank's done trying to be legit and embraced criminality, they're gonna probably fuck shit up.

Jarmel

Banned
Ben Caspere's death was simply a revenge killing. However, since he's a corrupt piece of shit involved in a lot of illicit activity, all the criminals and corrupt pieces of shit connected to him freaked out and accidentally unraveled their own conspiracies and are now trying to cover it up.

The revenge component only adds onto a complicated scenario. If there were more episodes it might have been fine by itself however with an eight episode run-time, Pizzo should have cut that component out and just focus on the conspiracy angle of which there is more than enough material to fill eight episodes.

Man, you really haven't been paying attention have you?

The one scene in almost the entire season where they are actually doing detective work and to you they are dumping exposition and rambling.

They've been doing detective work the entire season, the problem is that it's following so many different angles that it becomes a mess. There's a reason why so many people need Reddit posts to sum up what's been going on because the show has done an absolutely terrible job of it.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I'll tell you what,the past few episodes they have been doing actual detective work. It was nice. This is the kind of show you have to watch back to back to really understand the detective work at play.

Next time, I will just skip all the Frank and Wife with no children scenes.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
EXIT

Oh, I'm safe.

Surprise MOFO! The only exit to this one tunnel where I conveniently hid for who knows how long as PLAN B in case you managed to escape.

BANG!

Must crawl for reasons.

No! Stop crawling!

K

Dead.

That is some Dexter-level shit. :p

Top Bottom