• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Everything with Paul, his former spec ops team, and Catalyst was contrived to an extreme degree, and for no apparent purpose. What did any of that serve in tonight's episode? Nothing of value was revealed, no light was shined on any part of that plot going forward. It was simply a convoluted way to shoehorn his military background into a direct, yet inconsequential, relationship with the case while killing Paul off. The latter could have easily been handled without any of the former. What was all of that nonsense?

zewone

This is C rate writing at best. Man was killed over some gay photos despite you know not having an elected position or really having any sort of job or position where that would be a big issue.

I think his family's safety was of the most concern. Someone was obviously watching him and calling his girlfriend at their home. The pictures didn't matter as much as him more terrified that someone might hurt people he cares about.

zewone

Everything with Paul, his former spec ops team, and Catalyst was contrived to an extreme degree, and for no apparent purpose. What did any of that serve in tonight's episode? Nothing of value was revealed, no light was shined on any part of that plot going forward. It was simply a convoluted way to shoehorn his military background into a direct, yet inconsequential, relationship with the case while killing Paul off. The latter could have easily been handled without any of the former. What was all of that nonsense?

I feel that his character brought nothing to the table in all honesty. He could have been a background character with no screentime of his own. He really had no reason to be in this season.

Gorillaz

Honestly them getting rid of Paul was probably the best thing to happen unfortunately. Already had enough problems balancing out each character shame they didn't do much justice with Riggins altogether doe. It's more disappointing Nic couldn't juggle all 4 of them.

Zacagawea

Not to be too big of a dork, but I feel like a significant part of the reason I like this season is because of Rachel McAdams. She's just so pretty, ya'll 😍

That line is more about the season than the storyline. Everyone is causing themselves and others to be in pain.

McAdams likes eff-ing up her life.
Farrell likes eff-ing up his kid's life.
Vaughn likes eff-ing up the competition.
Kitsch likes eff-ing... dudes.
lol..you had me until the last one.

Pretty much. As it was happening I was going along with it and it was getting hype, but such a dumb "wrap it up move". If they wanted to sell the angle that his shame was that high that he would purposely walk into a death trap like that, this season did a bad job. I still really liked the episode but man, it's a bummer pizza set up woodroughs character for so long and in such a clumsy way, only to get these silly fireworks for his ending.

Anyway, episode did a good job of setting up the characters being against the world at least. I'm really wondering how they'll get out of this.

Tripon

Thought this was Vaughn's best ep. Like his deadpanning was building to that scene with Blake where Blake was totally unaware of the ass kicking he was going to receive.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
It was an ok episode. Interested to see how they end it. Don't get the point of the whole woodrough arc.

cLOUDo

True Detective season 2 is the most disappointing thing since my son.

S55emmh.gif

Jarmel

Banned
I think his family's safety was of the most concern. Someone was obviously watching him and calling his girlfriend at their home. The pictures didn't matter as much as him more terrified that someone might hurt people he cares about.
If that was the case, the show didn't make that clear enough on his part as the lengths he went where roughly on the same level as McAdam's character.

So many of his actions have been clear examples of his shame about his sexuality and attempts at trying to bury it. Trying to start a family with a woman being the obvious one.

And Paul was born sometime in the 70s or 80s so think about the general perception of gay people around that time. He was brought up to think it was a terrible thing which the scenes with his mother have hinted at. Gay marriage being legalized doesn't mean that every repressed gay person is suddenly confident about their sexuality and ready to be outed after an entire upbringing full of hatred. Especially ones with military service during the time in which Don't Ask, Don't Tell was law. We're still going to get many more real life stories of gay people marrying the opposite sex and having families coming out decades from now.

There's a difference between being comfortable with your sexuality and being willing to die for the illusion of it. The show made clear that he knew he was fucked. The show didn't spend enough time fleshing out his childhood or whatever happened when he was younger in order to justify his current issues. There were maybe two scenes with his mother to set up his trauma.

If this was supposed to be a reflection of 1970/1980s sexual perceptions then the show did a woeful job of it.

Bloodrage

Banned
now that's a bit far don't you think? I was asking a question about how something can be enjoyed even though main points are missed.

i watch the show because i loved the first season, i hardly think i'm shit posting when the show is pretty much universally panned.

i'm trying to like the show but with each episode i know less and less about what is going on. it's hard to enjoy.
Universally panned by who? Some people on GAF? If you know less and less about what's going on, whose fault is that, really? I'm following and have been following since episode 1, and it's definitely a show you need to actually pay attention to.

the noire music is making me like this more than I probably should. It's not anywhere near the standard of S1 (or HBO's best stuff), and I think living up to that name is probably the worst thing it's got going for it. I mean, is it really worse than, say, something like Ray Donovan?

the fucking its almost over.... I don't want a season 3. Leave season 1 alone.

so pizzaman don't have any social account? Twitter, FB... He is hiding isnt it?
Most writers and directors don't have active social media accounts. But sure, Pizzolatto is so ashamed that he abandoned the crazy active accounts he used during the first season.

BadAss2961

Who was the guy that looks like EvilLore that shot Paul? Weve seen him before and I cant place it.
I hate it when that happens... When some guy that might've brewed some coffee in the background of a scene or two is revealed to be a major player as everything's coming to a close.

This season's been full of "who the fuck is that guy?" moments.

Ray's superior who suspiciously arrived at Casper's bungalow before Ani in the third episode. He also directed Ray a few times in the early episodes and was with the black officer(who Paul was held up by) and mayor before the cops went to the setup in the fourth episode.

Apt101

I think this was the best episode. I still wasn't sold on Vince Vaughan the tough guy, but he did everything else great. Everything is moving towards a conclusion, characters progressing in leaps, I don't think it's physically possible for Taylor Kitsch's jeans to be any tighter, good stuff. I wish the rest of the season had been at this level.

Edit: I'm still trying to see if there are actually any parallels between this story and the actual Book of the Dead. I'm probably expecting way too much

the noire music is making me like this more than I probably should. It's not anywhere near the standard of S1 (or HBO's best stuff), and I think living up to that name is probably the worst thing it's got going for it. I mean, is it really worse than, say, something like Ray Donovan?

haven't seen ray donovan but its hard for me to imagine its much worse than this

Top Bottom