• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

ZQQLANDER

that awkward scene between Farrell and McAdams at the table was great. One of my favorite of the season.

Season has definitely grown on me.

Arkeband

Banned
This episode was trying so hard.

Of all the exits to that tunnel, why was a guy waiting for him at that one?

Who were half of the people it introduced?

Why did they have to eye fuck each other for ten minutes?

Is there even an ending to this? Everyone is a criminal including the protagonists, do we just hope the most evil one gets killed and the rest continue to be slightly less terrible?

Talon

What's the point of following that state's attorney and murdering her without waiting to see who she was meeting with?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Am I the only one here rooting for Vaughn? I was actually kind of of afraid some russian was going to pop up and kill him when he was burning the club down.

Nope. After shitting on him for 6 weeks, I'm all turned around. He's finally won me over, and I'm hoping we get a Vaughn/Mcadams/Farrel teamup as they take on, like, everybody.

Interested to see who ended up killing Casper in such a vicious way now that we know that Blake took Stan out as a copy cat murder. Crow was probably Ferrel's boss who also took out Paul but he doesn't seem a likely candidate for Casper.

Jarmel

Banned
The only female lead of course has to be fucked by one of the other male leads. Oh boy I can already see the sexism articles.

Lubricus

I started thinking about how this series could have been so much better. It's depressing to think about. I wonder if they were having trouble meeting the deadline and went with what they had already recorded.
So mediocre.

Loved that episode. To be honest I have been on board since the beginning, but I must say I've really been enjoying the second half. Characters have been growing on me too. I especially liked Frank this ep.

oneils

They clearly care the most about the paperwork, so why wouldn't they wait around to grab him and get to Antigone?

They're kind of dumb, I guess. I mean look at how they handled kitcsh. Why not follow him around a bit? All that subterfuge for nothing. Why get in the same room as a commando?

Birdman has to be someone who doesn't want to kill Ray but would want Caspere dead

Yeah. That's why I'm thinking its Laura's brother.

Jarmel

Banned
This is C rate writing at best. Man was killed over some gay photos despite you know not having an elected position or really having any sort of job or position where that would be a big issue.

Another really great episode. Why did the first half of the season have to be so slow with so much shitty dialog?

Finale is 90 minutes. Looking forward to it very much.

Loved that episode. To be honest I have been on board since the beginning, but I must say I've really been enjoying the second half. Characters have been growing on me too. I especially liked Frank this ep.
Same. Is not that bad. Sure there are slow parts but not as horrible as some people paint it to be. I guess some just wants the same season 1

This is C rate writing at best. Man was killed over some gay photos despite you know not having an elected position or really having any sort of job or position where that would be a big issue.
He was a military man trying to start a family who was raised to think that being gay was a horrible sin. Those photos getting out would be an unimaginable shame to him, especially with the paparazzi following his every move. Thought it was pretty believable that his desire to hide that would override his common sense. Especially since the photos were taken months ago before anything had gone down, so there was little reason to think that he was being set up by anyone other than paparazzi.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

It was a big issue to him personally. He's been consistently portrayed as someone vulnerable who has to force himself to live a life that's not a truthful reflection of his wants because of what he deems to consist of what makes a 'good man'.

Remember how appalled he was when he found out he slept with his old comrade. His mom also shamed him for his liking men so that implies a life of being in the closet. His whole marrying his gf thing also seemed really forced. Obviously he cared about her but it was shown how distant they were, mostly cuz of him. At a subconscious level he was probably marrying her to prove to himself that he was "normal" and not gay (which was a source of great insecurity.

Jarmel

Banned
It was a big issue to him personally. He's been consistently portrayed as someone vulnerable who has to force himself to live a life that's not a truthful reflection of his wants because of what he deems to consist of what makes a 'good man'.

Remember how appalled he was when he found out he slept with his old comrade. His mom also shamed him for his liking men so that implies a life of being in the closet. His whole marrying his gf thing also seemed really forced. Obviously he cared about her but it was shown how distant they were, mostly cuz of him. At a subconscious level he was probably marrying her to prove to himself that he was "normal" and not gay (which was a source of great insecurity.

He knowingly walked into a death trap over this. His whole character arc was written as a way of forcing him into this situation rather than any sort of social commentary of its own. None of this felt organic or earned.

oneils

Could have sworn he got shot in episode 4, but maybe I had him confused.

He's ray's old captain or lieutenant, but he wasn't on the state task force that took down those meth dealers. There was a guy on that team that kind of looked like him. And there was a guy that kind of looked like mcAadams old partner. I had to re watch the scene to make sure that they weren't them.

br3wnor

you're still excited even though you barely understand what is going on and who is who? lol

What was the point of this post?

You think the show is dog shit, but still watch every episode and then care enough to post multiple times in a thread dedicated to the show to not only shit on the show but shit on other posters who are watching and enjoying the show. Great use of your time.

He knowingly walked into a death trap over this. His whole character arc was written as a way of forcing him into this situation rather than any sort of social commentary of its own. None of this felt organic or earned.
The problem is that some people seem to think all of his awkward attempts to hide his homosexuality from the very first episode were meant to be some sort of grand "twist"(he's gay!) when it was showing how much his upbringing warped his mind into thinking this is a bad thing and that he finds it important to hide. The show established his self loathing very thoroughly. Given his actions throughout the series it's very believable that he'd put him self at risk to keep his homosexuality a secret.

SwolBro

Banned
What was the point of this post?

You think the show is dog shit, but still watch every episode and then care enough to post multiple times in a thread dedicated to the show to not only shit on the show but shit on other posters who are watching and enjoying the show. Great use of your time.

now that's a bit far don't you think? I was asking a question about how something can be enjoyed even though main points are missed.

i watch the show because i loved the first season, i hardly think i'm shit posting when the show is pretty much universally panned.

i'm trying to like the show but with each episode i know less and less about what is going on. it's hard to enjoy.

Jarmel

Banned
The problem is that some people seem to think all of his awkward attempts to hide his homosexuality from the very first episode were meant to be some sort of grand "twist" when it was showing how much his upbringing warped his mind into thinking this is a bad thing. The show established his self loathing very thoroughly. Given his actions throughout the series and constant compensating it's very believable that he'd put him self at risk to keep his homosexuality a secret.

There was nowhere near enough work for this to be believable. Not to mention the pre-military scars was a narrative dead end. Someone mentioned that the writing in regards to sexuality feels like something out of the 1970s/1980s and I completely concur.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
although..everything is about fucking?

what ?

That line is more about the season than the storyline. Everyone is causing themselves and others to be in pain.

McAdams likes eff-ing up her life.
Farrell likes eff-ing up his kid's life.
Vaughn likes eff-ing up the competition.
Kitsch likes eff-ing... dudes.

There was nowhere near enough work for this to be believable. Not to mention the pre-military scars was a narrative dead end. Someone mentioned that the writing in regards to sexuality feels like something out of the 1970s/1980s and I completely concur.
So many of his actions have been clear examples of his shame about his sexuality and attempts at trying to bury it. Trying to start a family with a woman being the obvious one.

And Paul was born sometime in the 70s or 80s so think about the general perception of gay people around that time. He was brought up to think it was a terrible thing which the scenes with his mother have hinted at. Gay marriage being legalized doesn't mean that every repressed gay person is suddenly confident about their sexuality and ready to be outed after an entire upbringing full of hatred. Especially ones with military service during the time in which Don't Ask, Don't Tell was law. We're still going to get many more real life stories of gay people marrying the opposite sex and having families coming out decades from now.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

The character himself viewed his sexuality in a 1970s/1980s lens.

This season is about people being their own worst enemy. Just deserts.

Top Bottom