• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Dear Stan, I meant to write you sooner but I've just been busy
You said your girlfriend's pregnant now, how far along is she?
Look, I'm really flattered you would call your daughter that
and here's an autograph for your brother,
I wrote it on the Starter cap
I'm sorry I didn't see you at the show, I musta missed you
Don't think I did that shit intentionally just to diss you
But what's this shit you said about you like to cut your wrists too?
I say that shit just clowning dogg,
c'mon - how fucked up is you?
You got some issues Stan, I think you need some counseling
to help your ass from bouncing off the walls when you get down some
And what's this shit about us meant to be together?
That type of shit'll make me not want us to meet each other
I really think you and your girlfriend need each other
or maybe you just need to treat her better
I hope you get to read this letter, I just hope it reaches you in time
before you hurt yourself, I think that you'll be doing just fine
if you relax a little, I'm glad I inspire you but Stan
why are you so mad? Try to understand, that I do want you as a fan
I just don't want you to do some crazy shit
I seen this one shit on the news a couple weeks ago that made me sick
Some dude was drunk and drove his car over a bridge
and had his girlfriend in the trunk, and she was pregnant with his kid
and in the car they found a tape, but they didn't say who it was to
Come to think about it, his name was... it was you
Damn!

MattyG

Banned
Yeah, just based on episode 1 I'm not loving it. My only one moment that I liked was the very last shot, where it panned up from where everyone was standing in the pitch black to show the sunrise in the land above where they were standing. Everything else was very... bleh. Even the theme is worse than last season.

Oh well, at least we got Rachel McAdams.

His character is a SCREW UP

You can tell by how much he SCREWS UP
I just watched the scene where he beats the shit out of a 12 year olds dad while telling him "fuck you".

Soooooooooo yeah, I guess he is.

Flo_Evans

Lol that slate plot summary is amazing.

For whatever reason this show always puts me to sleep. I ended up re watching 2 episodes and then 2 more (fell asleep right before Paul got it lol). Even watching 4 in a row it was difficult to keep up. I find the pacing of brooding molasses then *shock* drama not very helpful for paying attention.

neoism

If anyone is interested there's a really good recap of what the hell is going on on this site right here. Helped me understand some stuff. One thing I'm not clear on, why exactly did they steal the diamonds in 92? It wasn't just for money was it?

read the article you know its really a simple story but just told terribly... still ready for next week...

MattyG

Banned
So I just finished ep 2 and this is really bad. Boring, slow, sloppily told. It's the complete opposite of season 1. Hopefully it improves soon.

Gorillaz

read the article you know its really a simple story but just told terribly... still ready for next week...

Thats really the sad part about it all ain't it? when you see how it's broken down it could actually be interesting but the way it's been presented has been so shit. I still "like" the season, I like the whole dynamic that they were trying for but I think it's more of the fact I'm seeing it for what it could have been instead of what it is. Hurts in a sense.

iLITNma.png

Nails seems like he'll be Frank from Blue Velvet in ten to twenty years. I'd bet Pizzaman had the actor watch the movie for inspiration.

bluevelvet5.JPG

Frog-fu

Banned
I know we all love making fun of those quotes but are they really that ridiculous because they all seem to make sense to me.

I hope Nails lives to make it into the crossover third season. He just has a great presence in the show, wish he'd gotten more screen time.

Chessani's kids still match up better with the pic of the two Osterman siblings.

bqGy4It.jpg

Compared to:

Yulqeh3.jpg

Maybe they are and that's one of the twists but you gotta understand casting and film making/tv shows. They could have taken the pic of the kids months before they cast the adults or vice versa and it's not worth finding new kids to take a pic of, etc etc.

It's not the perfect thing people think it is, a lot of shit goes unnoticed or awry and they have to roll with it because it costs too much if they don't.

While I still like Season 2 for a lot of reasons (great soundtrack, actors are fantastic/I like the protagonists, some very cool individual scenes), I'm not transfixed like I was in Season 1.

Season 1's story had a very hypnotic quality. I find myself constantly drifting during Season 2.

I hope Nails lives to make it into the crossover third season. He just has a great presence in the show, wish he'd gotten more screen time.

Who the hell is Nails?

MattyG

Banned
Fucking a thousand times cause he didn't do the coolest thing he could have done.

Fucking hell, Pizzaman. This is why I call you Pizzaman.

I WANT MY FUCKING HOTLINE BIRDMAN YOU SON OF A BITCH.
The minute I saw that I was hoping it was going to lead to some Hotline Miami-esque group vigilante shit. Shame that they didn't take that route.

duckroll

The minute I saw that I was hoping it was going to lead to some Hotline Miami-esque group vigilante shit. Shame that they didn't take that route.

Well it looks like it kinda did. Just that it all happened off screen mostly. We'll probably hear someone talk about it in the finale in detail.... while getting drunk.... and looking sad....

MattyG

Banned
Well it looks like it kinda did. Just that it all happened off screen mostly. We'll probably hear someone talk about it in the finale in detail.... while getting drunk.... and looking sad....
I hope the bar singer is there singin' a sad, sad song.

I'm only to episode 2, but tell me, does she show up again? I've gotta know.

duckroll

I think she's in at least half of the episodes if not more. It's a recurring thing. Different song each time!

I know! That's what I thought when I saw Birdman. I was like... holy fuck, that's a cool direction to take this. Some psychotic vigilante (maybe) killer wearing a crow mask and the police have to hunt him and unravel a conspiracy around his targets.

All that happened is that Birdman killed one guy which set off two separate-but-related conspiracies to panic and start staging and fixing shit even though they were in the clear the entire time.

But after shotgunning Ray, Birdman never comes back. You have that one creep mask person torching their car, but other than that, Birdman isn't really mentioned or seen asides from Frank asking if Blake killed Stan the same way as Caspere. There's some discussion after Ray is shot, but it's kinda dropped in Episode 4 and their humongous fuck up.

NOBODY EVEN CARES ABOUT CASPERE ANYMORE BTW

Yes! Those bar scenes are actually among my favorites, and I love her songs.

Holy shit this is on point.

Is the S3 OT title gonna be "Sometimes your worst season is your best season"?

Perfect.

Frank's bodyguard, he's been in almost every scene with him. Picture of him is above.

I had no idea his name was Nails.

I don't think he was ever mentioned by name until the last episode where it came up several times.

I think he was mentioned in episode 3 or 4. But it's not in an obvious way, I think Frank just mentions Nails doing something and you see their interaction later or something along those lines.

Pizzolato needs a writers' room.

I bet he's the type that would override any ideas that people pitch him.

You know.

Not a team player sort.

Edit:

For real though, last episode was really good. The music at the end was fantastic, Paul's death was a sucker punch, Vince Vaughn was fantastic once Frank was allowed to cut loose, the sex scene was awkward, but well done, shit actually got done.

I want to see Birdman, Ray, Frank, and Antigone get armed up with M4 Rifles and shoot conspiratorial politicians and criminals for 90 minutes straight next week.

Top Bottom