• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Let's just hope it doesn't open with Laura and her brother fucking.

I actually thought the bit where Errol's seamlessly switching accents was great. I found it very creepy. Then the incest happened. So that was weird.

But I did like the twist that basically everyone involved with the cult was probably long-dead and that Errol and his... aunt-sister(?) was the twisted remnant of all that horror.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Pizzolato needs a writers' room.

Yep, so true. I think it will go that way after Season 3. I don't see why HBO wouldn't want to move forward beyond Pizzolatto's involvement next year.

I look at True Detective and Game of Thrones as some of the tent poles of modern HBO. And honestly, how expensive can the show be? Anthology based, so they don't have to worry about the actors' salary ballooning from season to season. And they basically have actors coming to them looking for a career boost.

Burt

omg season 2 is the hotline miami 2 of videogames

So, Nails is the only loyal guy that Frank has?

So, Frank, Nails, Birdman, Antigone, Ray, Jordan vs the Forces of Evil.

I'm still laughing at "Half anaconda, half great white"

Jonm1010

Banned
Just finished the episode and I have to say the Woodrugh final scene was very poorly done.

I mean the guy runs down an abandoned train station, climbs up one of the likely many ladders leading to one of the many stations with likely more then one exit and it just so happens a guy was expecting it all along and is hiding behind the door with a getaway car right there? That and Woodrugh, who has shown himself to be methodical and calculating in tense situations just conveniently lets up.

That was just a poorly directed scene and really took me out of an otherwise decent episode considering the season.

Who the fuck were those people and their black leader dude hanging out in underground tunnels? The show has probably told me, but I can't follow half the shit going on this season.

Just finished the episode and I have to say the Woodrugh final scene was very poorly done.

I mean the guy runs down an abandoned train station, climbs up one of the likely many ladders leading to one of the many stations with likely more then one exit and it just so happens a guy was expecting it all along and is hiding behind the door with a getaway car right there? That and Woodrugh, who has shown himself to be methodical and calculating in tense situations just conveniently lets up.

That was just a poorly directed scene and really took me out of an otherwise decent episode considering the season.
Just got caught up with the episode and that is exactly what I came here to post about. It was like something out of a cartoon. Was there a shady dude, with included getaway car, standing behind every single door in a 3-4 block radius? This show is dumb.

On the subject of the Woodrough scene, there are no abandoned subway tunnels in Downtown LA as shown. (there is one abandoned station, and it certainly isn't as clean as this one was, there are no "tunnels running all through the city")

Who the fuck were those people and their black leader dude hanging out in underground tunnels? The show has probably told me, but I can't follow half the shit going on this season.

Just got caught up with the episode and that is exactly what I came here to post about. It was like something out of a cartoon. Was there a shady dude, with included getaway car, standing behind every single door in a 3-4 block radius? This show is dumb.

Dat music tho

On the subject of the Woodrough scene, there are no abandoned subway tunnels in Downtown LA as shown. (there is one abandoned station but no "tunnels running all through the city")

Aren't they referring to Vinci, not LA?

Dat music tho

Aren't they referring to Vinci, not LA?

That scene took place in Downtown.

There certainly are no subway tunnels running through Vernon (the city Vinci is very clearly and unabashedly standing in for). A lot of the things they talk about - Vinci having only 80 official residents etc, super skeezy politically, being a 100% industrial city, etc, apply to Vernon as well.

Also, Vinci/Vernon is adjacent to Downtown LA. In many cases, scenes, like the shootout, were actually in regular LA, as opposed to Vinci/Vernon.

107399-eight.jpg

l.jpg

That scene was in Downtown.

There certainly are no subway tunnels running through Vernon (the city Vinci is very clearly and unabashedly standing in for). A lot of the things they talk about - Vinci having only 80 official residents etc, being a 100% industrial city, etc, apply to Vernon as well.

Also, Vinci/Vernon is adjacent to Downtown LA. In many cases, scenes, like the shootout, were actually in regular LA, as opposed to Vinci/Vernon.

107399-eight.jpg

l.jpg

My bad. I assumed that last scene took place in Vinci since Burris and the Chief were there.

My bad. I assumed that last scene took place in Vinci since Burris and the Chief were there.

That was at the Hall of Records (both the scene and the filming location) The LA Times building is prominent in the background. Unless the scene is in an industrial shithole, Frank's clubs, or the Mayor's office, the scene is not taking place in Vinci.

Also here's a map that shows Vernon's location wrt Downtown LA.

Burt

I know it's not going to happen, but I hope Ani and Velcoro just say fuck it after they find out about Woodrugh and team up with Semyon for his murder spree. There's no way they're ever getting out of the country, there's no way any of these people ever end up charged (it'd be like... the FBI swooping in at the end of Clue, which was fantastic for that but not this), there's no way they make it to trial if that does happen, etc.

Just let them all die from generic cops after they take out the assholes. No more writing necessary. I literally couldn't care less about Birdman, the hard drive, or anything else. We know who the bad people are, just let us get a TD Hardhome to set everything right.

Sober

Yep, so true. I think it will go that way after Season 3. I don't see why HBO wouldn't want to move forward beyond Pizzolatto's involvement next year.

I look at True Detective and Game of Thrones as some of the tent poles of modern HBO. And honestly, how expensive can the show be? Anthology based, so they don't have to worry about the actors' salary ballooning from season to season. And they basically have actors coming to them looking for a career boost.
Well, actually, the other option would be True Detective on odd years to give Pizzolatto more time to write. They might just stick with bandying the "single auteur" approach to True Detective and just lick their wounds and scrutinize the production process more.

It's the Black Mountain dudes, but they rebranded (Atlas or something). Basically a PMC hired by one of the companies that was working with the Vinci mayor, chief of police, etc. to ruin the rail corridor land to buy for cheap. They were blackmailing Paul for information about the investigation that the state had on them.

It's the Black Mountain dudes, but they rebranded (Atlas or something). Basically a PMC hired by one of the companies that was working with the Vinci mayor, chief of police, etc. to ruin the rail corridor land to buy for cheap. They were blackmailing Paul for information about the investigation that the state had on them.

Thanks, that is a lot clearer now. I must have missed a whole conversation somewhere.

dare I say Frank's scenes were the most interesting this episode. A real shame that they finally give vaughn some fun stuff to work with just as the show is about to end.

If this were a better show Paul's death would have been a big shock, all I feel is indifference though.

Deku Tree

I don't think I've ever seen a show fall so hard. Season 1 was widely hailed as the best thing on television. Season 2 is the butt of every joke about horrible summer shows.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
The last two episodes have been better. I do feel that the episode with the street shootout was a real lowpoint. At least this episode had decent action even though there are still rough spots in the narrative. Its not the most polished show, but for some reason I still check it out, I guess thats something.

Squalor

Not completely accurate. The black guy was Police Chief Holloway. The rest of the guys were the erstwhile Black Mountain guys who are not re-branded and working exclusively for Catalyst, the Jacob McCandless company.

Blader

I'm still not completely understanding how stealing a couple million worth of diamonds 20 years ago enabled our motley crew of tertiary characters (Burris, Dixon, Caspere and Holloway) to become part of the LA Illuminati. How does one lead to the other?

SSPssp

I'm still not completely understanding how stealing a couple million worth of diamonds 20 years ago enabled our motley crew of tertiary characters (Burris, Dixon, Caspere and Holloway) to become part of the LA Illuminati. How does one lead to the other?

Yeah, the money isn't nearly enough. I guess they provided other "services" to the group.

Burt

I'm still not completely understanding how stealing a couple million worth of diamonds 20 years ago enabled our motley crew of tertiary characters (Burris, Dixon, Caspere and Holloway) to become part of the
LA Illuminati
. How does one lead to the other?

I don't really think it's an organization or full-fledged conspiracy so much as it is a bunch of associated people. They're just a bunch of criminals running an F-tier dump of a town, and being in bed together provides all of them certain opportunities as word gets around town. Once the criminal cops heard their buddies were pulling a land deal scam, they took their of diamonds (which they apparently couldn't turn liquid, probably due to their rarity and robbery association) and decided to buy in to trade them for cheap land.

duckroll

I think it's just about connections and money. There isn't really an illuminati style conspiracy going on here. Caspere had money and connections, which he was using to make people richer, like with this land deal. This also gave him access to a more exclusive world which pandered to his fetishes. Just because he was in the same parties as much more powerful and richer people didn't mean that he was on the same level as them. They were just enjoying the same recreational benefits in their private time. The bar for access doesn't really seem -that- high here, consider all it took was Ani's sister making some calls to get her into such a party.

Kinyou

I actually like the way the characters talk, but it really feels like most of those lines are actually meant for Rust from season 1. It feels like Nic noticed that many people like Rust, so he wrote every main character to be a bit like Rust. But instead of having one guy being a weirdo and the people around him acknowledging it, you just have 4 weirdos.

hobozero

I know it's not going to happen, but I hope Ani and Velcoro just say fuck it after they find out about Woodrugh and team up with Semyon for his murder spree. There's no way they're ever getting out of the country,

If only there were 2 plane tickets to Venezuela floating around that were specifically purchased in such a way that the names on the tickets could be changed at any time :)

Doesn't address the wanted/passport issue, but that whole travel agent scene really seemed to aggressively over-emphasis the whole "YOU CAN CHANGE THE NAMES ON THESE TICKETS" thing. I am guessing their swerve is VV gets killed, gives the tickets to Velcoro, widow ends up working at Applebee's.

Squalor

I think it's just about connections and money. There isn't really an illuminati style conspiracy going on here. Caspere had money and connections, which he was using to make people richer, like with this land deal. This also gave him access to a more exclusive world which pandered to his fetishes. Just because he was in the same parties as much more powerful and richer people didn't mean that he was on the same level as them. They were just enjoying the same recreational benefits in their private time. The bar for access doesn't really seem -that- high here, consider all it took was Ani's sister making some calls to get her into such a party.
That's because they aren't the L.A. Illuminati.

The diamonds and money and connections acquired in L.A. allowed them to leave L.A., where they were basically nobodies, and build up their Vinci empire.

The county was untapped, so they tapped it.
Can we get one of those gifted plumbers to unclog this cess-toilet of a television season?

Top Bottom