• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Then he sucks

CCF4hTK.jpg

you are getting there, study the physical resemblance between pizzaman and taylor

The small, beedy, animalistic eyes.

XA1YWMK.gif

Salsa

caught up

honestly surprisingly liked this last ep enough

it succesfully bummed me out, but unlike others not because it was bad. Paul died ltierally because he was scared of being himself.

dude wanted to not be gay so hard he's DEAD

fucking campers dude

Grinchy

Banned
This season is reminding me of The Newsroom. The poor writing and unbelievable dialog come together so perfectly for hatewatching.

I mean I'm disappointed on the show but I genuinely enjoyed the last episode aired, shit dialogue aside.

I still cringe at "do you ever miss..."

"What?"

"EVERYTHIIIIIIIIIING"

or whatever that line was.

Dennis

Banned
I am willing to believe the pizzaman can write a good Season 3. Provided

a) He gets the time he needs and isn't rushed.

b) He takes his head out his own ass and accepts Season 2 as a serving of humble pie.

But the writing isn't the only problem. The direction and cinematography nosedived this season as well and that isn't really on Nic.

duckroll

But the writing isn't the only problem. The direction and cinematography nosedived this season as well and that isn't really on Nic.

I think it is. He's the showrunner. This is what he wanted. He said he wants to do television rather than film because on TV the writer is the king. He has creative control over the production, he picks his soldiers, he is the general on the battlefield. If the battle is lost because he planned poorly and the soldiers he picked did not perform well, a lot of the responsibility still falls on him.

He's not just the guy who writes the scripts and then hands it off to the crew. He's the guy producing the entire thing, on set every day, making sure people he selected to execute his vision are doing their job.

Squalor

As I've already said, he needs to take 2016 off as far as production and airing are concerned and focus solely on the script for over a year.

duckroll

As I've already said, he needs to take 2016 off as far as production and airing are concerned and focus solely on the script for over a year.

I think something like what he wants to do with TD requires more than just focusing on scripts. It will certainly help, but there really needs to be an extended pre-production process in general where he can cast the leads early and lock them in after conceptualizing the story framework and knowing what characters he wants, then writing the scripts with that cast in mind, while putting together the directing and production crew during this process without having to rush anyone.

Even then, we probably won't be assured of something remotely as polished and focused as season 1, but it would be a good start. Making something like this annually is a fool's errand.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I haven't really read the negative reception to this season in depth beyond knowing most people are hating this season, but I think I'm enjoying it more than most. Well, the characters anyways, I feel like they are interesting in their own different ways but the writing for the different pieces of evidence and where they come from and how these characters you never see on camera tie into the characters themselves is lacking. It's at the point where I'm not sure if it's just way too dense to parse all the information in one viewing (still a problem, but could make this better upon repeat viewings/if i pay more attention) or there is really something missing in getting you invested into the case itself.

Then again, I feel like I have higher tolerance than most for shows with a lot more set up. The problem with that is that it better damn deliver, and I'm not one to even start watching a TV show unless the consensus is that the ending was the greatest thing ever.

Like, I definitely do give a fuck about all these characters, but the case devolves into a bit of mumbo jumbo for me, stuff doesn't feel like it's introduced right.

Squalor

You can still care about the characters even if the writing for them is awful.

Pizzolatto's handling of Paul's homosexuality has been a joke. Pizzolatto's handing of any female character he tries to imagine continues (from season one) to be a joke.

The dialogue is routinely pathetic.

The characterizations are random and poorly conceived, generally lacking any link to the characters' actions.

Part of me hopes that the final scene is Velcro dying then his wife calls him "you aren't the dad" then passes him the son who goes "I love my new rape daddy more also I hate pizza Hut you would know I'm a domino's guy if you got to know me asshole go die" then Velcro lights up a cigarette and slowly dies as like this really insightful German philosopher quote floats on the screen.

Squalor

Part of me hopes that the final scene is Velcro dying then his wife calls him "you aren't the dad" then passes him the son who goes "I love my new rape daddy more also I hate pizza Hut you would know I'm a domino's guy if you got to know me asshole go die" then Velcro lights up a cigarette and slowly dies as like this really insightful German philosopher quote floats on the screen.
You missed the part about Friends, which would be the last thing Ray hears before he dies.

Squalor

He can die on a living room with friends on the background, also Ani would appear and say:
"You really aren't my level"
Then the screen goes black, and the audience hears the hand clap from the Friends theme song.

CUT TO:

Ray wakes up in a hospital bed just after getting shot by Bird Mask.

I wouldn't be surprised if his ego is the reason we have a roulette of directors this season over just one person doing the whole thing. Probably wanted to show Fukunaga that anyone could do what he did, that it was his writing that held it all together.

I think he pretty much did the opposite. Now, I'm dying to see Beast of No Nation while i want to crawl into a ball and cry thinking that I have to endure 90 more minutes of this mediocre turdfest

Squalor

The best part is that, as a producer for the show, Cary Joji Fukunaga, is still getting paid as he watches the show crash and burn without his creative talents.

I wouldn't be surprised if his ego is the reason we have a roulette of directors this season over just one person doing the whole thing. Probably wanted to show Fukunaga that anyone could do what he did, that it was his writing that held it all together.

I think he pretty much did the opposite. Now, I'm dying to see Beast of No Nation while i want to crawl into a ball and cry thinking that I have to endure 90 more minutes of this mediocre turdfest
Don't dramas tend to have different directors each episode?

Don't dramas tend to have different directors each episode?

most shows do

But i'm sure that NP didn't appreciate Fukunaga having received so much credit for season 1. Obviously i'm just guessing at this but a guy with an ego as big as NP's probably didn't want to see someone steal his thunder like that again.

also, most shows tend to be more than a season long. It makes sense that you have a stable of directors to pull from and the showrunner to hold it all together. An anthology is a bit different as it's basically a miniseries each season. You'd want a more unified direction for something like that.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They should've gotten Justin Lin to direct all the episodes, the first 2-3 episodes looked much better than all the rest. The episodes that he didn't direct don't stand out among other shows.

I mean I'm disappointed on the show but I genuinely enjoyed the last episode aired, shit dialogue aside.

I still cringe at "do you ever miss..."

"What?"

"EVERYTHIIIIIIIIIING"

or whatever that line was.

"Do you ever miss...".

**LONG ASS PAUSE**

"What?"

*LOUD GRUNT*

"Anything?"

*CUE SEXY TIME*

End Scene.

Just perfect.

7377.gif

Deku Tree

But Rick Springfield, who said he channels his "inner creep" as psychiatrist Irving Pitlor in the HBO series, told HuffPost Live on Wednesday that the mixed reception was no surprise to the team behind the show.

"That's to be expected. Everybody knew that, because the first one came out of the box and [viewers were] like, 'Oh my God!' So you can't do that twice. You can't go 'Boo!' twice," Springfield said (at 2:45 in the video). "So I'm sure they knew that was going to be the initial reaction, because you can't surprise people twice."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...5c24273e4b0d9b28f051c50?kvcommref=mostpopular

Squalor

Shows how much Rick Springfield and the crew knew.

We were, in fact, surprised, this time by the shitty quality of the writing overall.

I was never looking for them to repeat season one. I didn't want them to, yet they did anyway by "solving" the case, time-skipping, then returning to the case.

I was just looking for a show with great characters in an interesting world filmed beautifully.

They did not deliver.

Squalor

end it all with a freeze shot like ep 4
No, no, he wakes up. It's nighttime. There's one light on and a fake full moon menacingly in the window.

Antigone, Paul, and Ray all look around at each other with perplexed looks like the end of the first episode.

The camera has to rotate too.

Then 3 red beaked ducks fly through the night sky. They look down and a golden egg is on the floor. But ducks dont lay golden eggs. But you know who does? Stan

"Tell...tell that kid...that I love him."
*Velcro dies*

*later*
"Honey, Velcro's last words were that he loves you."
"...K."
*freeze frame*
fin

Squalor

Since we're never getting an answer to what Antigone's fetish is:

It's wearing or having her partner wear a bird mask.

RG0BS1U.gif

Top Bottom