• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Not

Banned
Pizzolatto simply can't write female characters.

I really thought he'd be able to come back this season with well-written females after the poorly written, development-less females who popped up in season one, but I was very wrong. Almost every woman in this show has been defined by her sexuality. That's it. Then he threw some characteristics and clichés at a wall for Antigone and hoped they'd stick together to form an organic person. They didn't.

Paul's character arc was just as pathetic.

Pizzolatto simply can't write characters who aren't straight, white males, and he's even having trouble with them this season.

It's because we only hire straight white males to write TV

kurahador

Anyone figure out who Stan is?

Man this show nosedived hard this season

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-05%20at%2010.18.23%20PM-thumb-550x311-131080.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-05%20at%2010.17.59%20PM-thumb-550x303-131078.jpg

Kinyou

Part of me hopes that the final scene is Velcro dying then his wife calls him "you aren't the dad" then passes him the son who goes "I love my new rape daddy more also I hate pizza Hut you would know I'm a domino's guy if you got to know me asshole go die" then Velcro lights up a cigarette and slowly dies as like this really insightful German philosopher quote floats on the screen.
You forgot about the part where Antigone tells him that his dick lacks the girth.

Brandson

When the guy showed up in that underground tunnel and announced something like "you were looking for me?", I honestly had no idea who that was, or even that anyone was looking for him. After that episode I had to read some lengthy recap of the whole season to figure out what actually has been going on this season. I don't see how can anyone be expected to get any of that from just casually watching the show once. Leaving some things to be mysterious is fine, but being even more in the dark than the detectives we're following is a pretty big fail by the production of this show.

If the recap I read is correct, the very high body count this season is way overkill for the supposed crime that is being covered up too. Maybe the detectives can run into some supernatural being in the finale that is possessing many of the baddies in this show, or possibly spin everything that has happened into some weird artistic metaphor for parental absenteeism. Either of those options would make more sense than what is apparently going on.

Pointing out an exception doesn't make the sentiment untrue or mostly untrue.

It's a fool's errand to try to compare David Simon's scriptwriting to Pizzolatto's.

I was just rebutting the notion that a being able to write for characters of different races, ethnicities, sexualities, etc is something that cannot be accomplished by a white male. It's as stupidly stereotypical a notion as the one that was trying to be made in the first place.

Squalor

I was just rebutting the notion that a being able to write for characters of different races, ethnicities, sexualities, etc is something that cannot be accomplished by a white male. It's as stupidly stereotypical a notion as the one that was trying to be made in the first place.
His point wasn't that straight, white men can't write from different perspectives.

And you're delusional. 19% of screenwriters are female. And I bet the percentage of all minority writers is hovering around that, too.

His point wasn't that straight, white men can't write from different perspectives.

And you're delusional. 19% of screenwriters are female. And I bet the percentage of all minority writers is hovering around that, too.

the poster was replying to a comment regarding NP's inability to write decent characters that aren't straight or white, not the hiring practices of hollywood.

Which i argue is as terrible a perspective to have because other writers can do it just fine. That NP can't do it shouldn't be a blanket statement on how straight white people cant write anything other than straight white people

I think you might have misunderstood what the poster was getting at.

Squalor

the poster was replying to a comment regarding NP's inability to write decent characters that aren't straight or white, not the hiring practices of hollywood.

Which i argue is as terrible a perspective to have because other writers can do it just fine. That NP can't do it shouldn't be a blanket statement on how straight white people cant write anything other than straight white people

I think you might have misunderstood what the poster was getting at.
I'm pretty sure the poster's point was that since the vast majority of writers in Hollywood are straight, white males there's a dearth of diversity in perspective.

Nic Pizzolatto's seeming inability to write from different perspectives is just a symptom of that much larger problem. It's an echo chamber.

Squalor

heh, that grantland article summed up in one sentence: Just make it more like the first season!
There are plenty of ways to make this season good without turning it into the first season.

I should write a companion piece titled "How I'd Fix It: Grantland's How We'd Fix It: True Defective Season Two."

So...this hasn't been renewed for a third season correct? I don't remember how long it took for S1 to be renewed but honestly I wouldn't be shocked if it's cancelled in the coming weeks.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
So...this hasn't been renewed for a third season correct? I don't remember how long it took for S1 to be renewed but honestly I wouldn't be shocked if it's cancelled in the coming weeks.

Unless the ratings drop considerably, it's not getting cancelled. The president of HBO said it was up to Pizzaman if he wanted to do a third season, the door was open.

There are plenty of ways to make this season good without turning it into the first season.

I should write a companion piece titled "How I'd Fix It: Grantland's How We'd Fix It: True Defective Season Two."

If I was writing Season 2, it'd be totally divergent from the ending of Episode 2.

Though I'd have Season 3 be about a washed up journalist uncovering a master criminal, chasing after them across the country in one last bid for glory. A different kind of... True Detective.

Season 2, if I wrote it, would be Hotline Birdman vs the Good Cops vs The Conspiracy

Draconian

Pizzolatto signed a two year extension last January and the ratings are pretty much on par with the first season. Anyone who thinks it's getting cancelled is having a laugh or trying to delude themselves.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Only confusing part of the story so far has been the names. I haven't gotten to know these characters well enough to know their names without some hint of their role in the story, so that info-dump in the motel was difficult to follow, but I got the general gist.

Hopefully the finale is just a shit ton of shootouts to wrap this baby up.

Also, I think Thomas Cromwell was probably one of a few people waiting at various exits for Taylor to escape. Explains the lucky aspect, at least.

Apt101

Stan may be the most simplistically complex villain since Iago in either film or literature. I can't believe they killed him off camera.

kaskade

heh, that grantland article summed up in one sentence: Just make it more like the first season!

Yup, and I agree. When you are dealing with an 8 episode season I feel the fewer main characters the better. I'm re watching season 2 and Franks stuff is just pointless. As the season was going on I thought some of the stuff might have more of a payoff. It still could though I guess. Paul's character kind of was a waste too, I think they just added him in there to off a main character.

I'd like them to go back to a more woodsy rural space. There's some really good wooded areas in North NJ and PA that could probably work well.

Yup, and I agree. When you are dealing with an 8 episode season I feel the fewer main characters the better. I'm re watching season 2 and Franks stuff is just pointless. As the season was going on I thought some of the stuff might have more of a payoff. It still could though I guess. Paul's character kind of was a waste too, I think they just added him in there to off a main character.

I'd like them to go back to a more woodsy rural space. There's some really good wooded areas in North NJ and PA that could probably work well.

Frank's turn should have happened in Episode 5. That's when Osip and co should have pulled the rug out from under him, then send him spiraling afterwards.

William Hurt got nominated for an Oscar for A History of Violence with about as much screen time so I wouldn't be surprised to see an Emmy in Blevin's future.

Darkwater

Admitting to myself that I am now hate watching True Detective actually makes it a lot more enjoyable. Looking forward to the finale. Hurrah for cynicism!

Stan for President

carlsojo

Potentially more excited for the Westworld trailer than the finale
since I'm working through the finale like I have through basically every episode.

Top Bottom