• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Tetraeon

Ugh that explosion was so cheesy. Why did Bez chase that truck like a moron knowing full well there was a dude spraying lethal rifle fire from the window? If logic was in play she would have been clipped.

And the whole "everyone dies but the three leads" cliche deal. Not to mention the freeze frame at the end. Let's not forget about Paul's "If I click my heels twice and leave no evidence I'm definitely not gay" situation.

It's not the worst show on TV, but it's absolutely more medicore than other dramas airing right now. The show looks beautiful, but the plot can't compensate. Hopefully this is fixed in the last four episodes.

jond76

Banned
Remember in Season 1 when Rust and Marty were smart enough not to walk straight up to Reggie Ledoux's pad, but instead snuck with such care that they even found his boobie traps?

Little details made those characters and I think the audience respected them for it. S2 is full of screw-up drunks who aren't particularly likable.

It's not really the same. They were clearly set up in going after that low level pimp street thug. Something else is going on there. In S1, Ledoux was a single important lead in an isolated location.

The whole point of last weeks shootout was blindside you with it. That's why I think the rest of the episode was deliberately slower: to get the audience complacent with the basic police work only to have it blow up at the worst possible time. I'm anxious to see the fallout.

Hate to ask again, but the Rust-as-Birdman theory sounds wonderfully ridiculous. I've seen it mentioned here and there but can't find a good summary. Does anyone have a link?

It's not really the same. They were clearly set up in going after that low level pimp street thug. Something else is going on there. In S1, Ledoux was a single important lead in an isolated location.

The whole point of last weeks shootout was blindside you with it. That's why I think the rest of the episode was deliberately slower: to get the audience complacent with the basic police work only to have it blow up at the worst possible time. I'm anxious to see the fallout.

He was a street thug that was a known member of a hardcore gang potentially responsible for a motivated murder of a city official. They had the option of a tac/SWAT team, so they clearly knew there was some risk involved, yet they executed it in a haphazard fashion, and nearby a giant protest, no less.

When they were just straight walking up to the gang's hideout, pistols not even at the ready, I was thinking, "Is this really happening? This is not going to go well--oh, there we go."

Well, I gotta hand it to them--Kitsch was the only one who looked like he knew what he was doing. I did like that.

Nic should have hired some gay guys, too.

LGP6Vfs.gif

holygeesus

Banned
Remember in Season 1 when Rust and Marty were smart enough not to walk straight up to Reggie Ledoux's pad, but instead snuck with such care that they even found his boobie traps?

Little details made those characters and I think the audience respected them for it. S2 is full of screw-up drunks who aren't particularly likable.

To be fair, only Rust was smart enough to spot the traps. Marty would have gone up in smoke. How did they manage to avoid the minefield though? I can't remember. There definitely was one, as one of the cooks blew up, while trying to escape, after Ledoux was executed.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well, I gotta hand it to them--Kitsch was the only one who looked like he knew what he was doing. I did like that.

His best character moment in the show so far was standing there pretty much unphased by the encounter/aftermath while everyone else was losing their shit.

Con_Smith

Banned

Isn't that the point though? None of the three have been portrayed to be Russ level, mostly good in their own right but flawed. In the scene you mention Russ knew to be easy because his dad would take him tracking in the woods. You have an ex cult fetishist, a dirty cop with major family issues, and an emotionally detached sexually confused (?) cop who likes to ride bikes.

Stop comparing to the first season asking why these characters aren't the ones you're used to and take in what the show gives you. I can buy the boring arguments because I'm guilty of having my attention wander on a few episodes, but I couldn't call the season shit or bad, just meh to ok. I still enjoy what I'm experiencing on the whole though.

hpkomic

Neo Member
I think the realization that the opening lyrics change from episode to episode has opened this season up to me quite a bit, like there is some sort of plan in place that will mostly salvage what's going on. At least that's my hope.

Then again, I was really hoping some supernatural shit was going down in S1 and didn't get what I wanted. That was my whole interest in the first season. At least in this one they're not misdirecting the audience with the Lovecraftian bent.

So they hired a bunch of Navy Seals to make sure Taylor Kitsch's actions seemed authentic, and then basically said fuck when it came to the rest of the shootout scene.

I'm no SEAL, but like others in this thread I too was shouting at my screen, "How about a little dispersion? And how about bringing some appropriate weapons?" a few seconds before the firefight, which made me lose all respect for the ensuing scenes. Kitsch should have been saying the same thing, if he's supposed to be the badass combat veteran of the group.

Squalor

"Let's take a dozen people all heavily armored just so we can be safe."

"Nah, we'll just take these handguns, though."

It's not about making them like Rust. It's about making them seem like real people with common sense. They're cops and detectives.

jonezer4

Stop comparing to the first season asking why these characters aren't the ones you're used to and take in what the show gives you.

Viewers generally have a low tolerance for stupid characters. When the characters in True Detective season 2 are displaying ignorance, it's natural to compare and contrast them to more intelligent characters, especially those in the antecedent season of the same show.

I get that constant comparisons to season 1 are annoying, but acting like this season should somehow have the unique luxury of living in a vacuum is equally, if not more, absurd.

If a writer came out with a new book, you wouldn't be able to read it and not compare it to his/her previous works.

If a film director came out with a new film, you'd more than likely compare that film to the rest of the resume.

If a game maker came out with a new game, you'd compare it to their previous works.

People who keep saying ITS NOT FAIR DONT COMPARE IT TO LAST SEASON are using poor logic. It can and should be compared to his previous works. if this season was any good no one would be on the TD defense force and using this bad excuse to try and debunk the criticisms leveled at this season of meh television.

this show has lost me for now. I'll hatewatch this thing until it gives me a reason to give a shit.

xezuru

The Shootout

[0:40] The fact that they made no effort to block immediate car/foot traffic around the area a fuckin civilian walks right past them on the road, and the fact that they just walk straight up to it, crossing an open street, with nothing primed and ready.

[1:35 and On] Kitsch's actions throughout the scene are very believable, from the most focused yet relaxed firing stance, to his decisiveness on the whenwhyhow of moving and cover fire, ect.

[1:55 and On] A fucking explosion shatters the fuckin atmosphere throughout the town, if it wasn't already obvious, noone fucking cares that automatic gunshots are fired and a giant smoking explosion just happened and they keep protesting under "safe" conditions. The raid was only "a run's length" away, this is fucking ridiculous.

Again, difference is shown in combat experience in how, Kitsch's moves up in comparison to the two others with each having very different stances. When he see's his case-mate get headshotted, it's more of a well FUCK, rather than HOLY SHIT FUCK.

[3:25] Knifelord keeping up with a car on time crisis running reload is kinda hilarious with Time Crisis running reload, it's fun, free pass.

[5:25] More reaction comparisons, Ray vs Paul when the Bus gets torn apart they both hear civilians screaming.

[6:25] Comparing Kitch's previous reaction to Ani's of man down. Which turns into more of a breakdown as time passes.

[8:15] Coupe de grace of reactions, still dumb that there was no additional backup faster, medical I guess can be waived because gunfire was still active, my only explanation is that the low man power is a result (Like the actual movie the Raid) of the operation being non official and off the map, which could be very possible with the cities corrupt shit, but I don't know seems like a stretch, just seems lore like dumb normal stuff.

Yado

I'm enjoying this mostly because of the corny dialogue and general absurdity. I think the actors are just working with what they've been given tbh, it's hard to be taken seriously when you've got lines like those to work with.

Isn't that the point though? None of the three have been portrayed to be Russ level, mostly good in their own right but flawed. In the scene you mention Russ knew to be easy because his dad would take him tracking in the woods. You have an ex cult fetishist, a dirty cop with major family issues, and an emotionally detached sexually confused (?) cop who likes to ride bikes.

Stop comparing to the first season asking why these characters aren't the ones you're used to and take in what the show gives you. I can buy the boring arguments because I'm guilty of having my attention wander on a few episodes, but I couldn't call the season shit or bad, just meh to ok. I still enjoy what I'm experiencing on the whole though.

I didn't post that as a "lol S1 is better told you" point--just different ways in which the writing develops character via action. Like I said, Kitsch's professionalism in this situation is a good example of this, but that's just one thing they got right among a whole lotta wrong.

The problem isn't just that they're flawed--it's also that they're shown to be pretty shitty cops, with the possible exception of Kitsch.

To be fair, only Rust was smart enough to spot the traps. Marty would have gone up in smoke. How did they manage to avoid the minefield though? I can't remember. There definitely was one, as one of the cooks blew up, while trying to escape, after Ledoux was executed.

It would have been great if they had written Kitsch to stand up and offer his suggestions for how they should approach the building.

As it is, the cops just looked like idiots.

Kadayi

Banned
Some story stuff feels a bit off, disjointed or something. Other than that, pretty pretty good episode. That shootout and the result were great. Velcoro shaking was cool.

Yeah I liked That Velcoro and Bezzerides were clearly shaken by the shoot out where as Woodrugh was a bit more cool under pressure after his military service.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
It's possible he didn't sell everything to others involved in crime. Dude that bought the apartment complex didn't seem too connected.

yeah it looks like he's just shaking down local businesses. The guy at the construction site and the hotel worker just look like normal people.

the club owner guy who tried to stand up to him got his teeth pulled out in front of everyone so there's that.

Deku Tree

I don't think so. Even in retrospect and after re-watching the season again, I still come away from it thinking it's some of the best television I've ever seen.

It's main strength is consistency. In tone, in filming, in acting, and pacing. It is a quintessential slowburner but it actually moves in a forward direction. Season 2 is schizophrenic in nearly ever regard from tone, style, and acting. It's not a slowburner, it's a stalled car of a story that tries to mask its failures in grittiness and over-wrought dialogue.

Season 1 wasn't lightning in a bottle. It was just the result of a writer who wasn't full of himself yet and a director with a clear vision who matched the material to a tee.

Season 1 also had Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey.
Gonna be hard to top that combination.

This season has high profile A list actors for sure, but their not in the same league as actors.

Finalow

pizzaman pls stop. honestly I'm not liking the writing of this season at all and I'm not even remotely as interested in the story as I was during season 1.

how many times did they say "fuckkkk" in this episode? I think I lost count. might have been just me but at some point bezzerides said "what the fuck?" to her father and it felt so fucking weird and out of place.

anybody remember what bezzrides did to her guy friend in the first episode? i never got what she did to him

It's sexual related and kinky. That's about all we know. It could be rough, or bondage, or sado-masochistic, or homoerotic, or something else. She just has sex issues...

As do all the characters, and this gets back to my point that I posted earlier that I'll expand a bit here: Is all the sex stuff being treated as equal to you guys? Velcro (Farrell) had to deal with his wife being raped; Bezzerides (McAdams) is into some kinky sex stuff; Woodrush (Kitsch) is a *whispers* homosexual; Semyon (Vaughn) has no sex drive or at least has trouble conceiving or getting it up which is causing problems with his marriage (to a woman who only wants a baby in a not so progressive character trait); Caspere, of course, died at his crazy sex cult....

Anyway, my point is kind of this: Woodrush is ashamed to be gay, Bezzerides didn't want to discuss her strange sexual advances with her boyfriend, Caspere's sex stuff is portrayed as inappropriate, rape is always bad, and Semyon is, well, it's Vince Vaughn and we've talked about his subpar performance and character enough. Anyway, all this sex stuff is being treated as something bad, shameful, or generally negative, and feels prudish and conservative to the point where it seems to be casting and equating the sexual proclivities of Woodrush and Bezzerides as on par with Caspere.

Maybe I'm over thinking it and seeing things that aren't there, but it just seems to be judgmental and rubbing me the wrong way (no pun intended).

DrBo42

It's sexual related and kinky. That's about all we know. It could be rough, or bondage, or sado-masochistic, or homoerotic, or something else. She just has sex issues...

As do all the characters, and this gets back to my point that I posted earlier that I'll expand a bit here: Is all the sex stuff being treated as equal to you guys? Velcro (Farrell) had to deal with his wife being raped; Bezzerides (McAdams) is into some kinky sex stuff; Woodrush (Kitsch) is a *whispers* homosexual; Semyon (Vaughn) has no sex drive or at least has trouble conceiving or getting it up which is causing problems with his marriage (to a woman who only wants a baby in a not so progressive character trait); Caspere, of course, died at his crazy sex cult....

Anyway, my point is kind of this: Woodrush is ashamed to be gay, Bezzerides didn't want to discuss her strange sexual advances with her boyfriend, Caspere's sex stuff is portrayed as inappropriate, rape is always bad, and Semyon is, well, it's Vince Vaughn and we've talked about his subpar performance and character enough. Anyway, all this sex stuff is being treated as something bad, shameful, or generally negative, and feels prudish and conservative to the point where it seems to be casting and equating the sexual proclivities of Woodrush and Bezzerides as on par with Caspere.

Maybe I'm over thinking it and seeing things that aren't there, but it just seems to be judgmental and rubbing me the wrong way (no pun intended).

I'm right there with you. It definitely comes off prudish and judgmental. I'd be okay if any of it was handled well or in service of trying to say something. That has yet to be seen and honestly I don't think it's coming.

......and that's why you wait for the freakin' tactical team.

Those three are in some deep shit come next week.

Also, what little special effects this show has are terrible. That building explosion? Yeah.......

Yup. I keep waiting for the show to somehow validate its prudish way of looking at sexuality, but it hasn't happened yet.

Even S1 had the (stereotypical trailer trash) "madam" who made a great point about Marty's white knightism, in how men/law enforcement look down on prostitutes because they "can't control it".

Omg guys just finished episode 4. I wanted to like this season I swear but oh my god this show is fucking horrid. HORRID. I was actually yelling at my tv during some scenes. This show goes no where, dialogue/writing is beyond bad.

I'm out!

Edit: I never want to see a highway transition shot ever again.

I'm no SEAL, but like others in this thread I too was shouting at my screen, "How about a little dispersion? And how about bringing some appropriate weapons?" a few seconds before the firefight, which made me lose all respect for the ensuing scenes. Kitsch should have been saying the same thing, if he's supposed to be the badass combat veteran of the group.

Yeah I wonder if Kitsch himself thought that it seemed odd for his character. He already played a very proficient navy seal in Lone Survivor, and you can bet that production must have been filled to the brim with military consultants.

First time I'm in this thread and yeesh. I like this season, although I don't think it's as tight as the first. I think Vince Vaughn and Colin Ferrell are really knocking it out of the park acting wise. And the writing is still top notch. "Sometimes your worst self is your best self" love it.

Finally got around to watching this week's episode.

Still bland, boring, and poorly written. Shootout was a complete joke and the fact that these 3 bozos don't get fired or sent to trial for being complete dumbasses is beyond me. Every mistake a person could make in a situation like that, those 3 went even farther.

Kitsch showed some chops at moments. His "fuck, fuck, fuck" on the street was lame but his conversation with Velcoro was solid. His reactions during the shootout were okay too.

Looks like we have a time jump coming in episode 5 with Velcoro looking good and sober. Will be interesting to see what happens since, unlike season 1, they didn't solve a damn thing.

Deku Tree

IMO they're gonna use the same plot device as in season 1 where the case is officially closed and time has passed but the detectives know the case isn't closed and they go rogue to try and figure out what really happened.

Squalor

IMO they're gonna use the same plot device as in season 1 where the case is officially closed and time has passed but the detectives know the case isn't closed and they go rogue to try and figure out what really happened.
That has already been established, actually.

Squalor

Oh I thought it was just foreshadowed because the mayor wanted the case closed and he wanted it pinned on the gang they killed.
You're not wrong in that regard, either, but the preview pretty much confirms it because
there's a time skip
and
Ani is wearing a regular cop uniform
and Ani has a conversation with Velcoro and says something to the effect of
"Do you really think we solved it?"

zXe

I'm enjoying this, though I have no idea where this is going or what is actually meant to be going on exactly. I think the real reason I'm still into this is because I think I love Rachel McAdams, she's so cute.

beautiful-actress-rachel-mcadams-high-resolution-wallpaper-download-rachel-mcadams-images-free-660x330.jpg

Top Bottom