• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

RaidenZR

I can't vouch for this being 100% accurate, but if anyone was confused as to what's going on, this seems like a decent primer:

- What The Hell Is Happening On ‘True Detective’? A Mid-Season Explainer

So someone tell me I'm a moron, but my read of the flashback scene involving Ray and Frank's first meeting, where he shows him a photo of the guy who fits his "wife's account" was not one of "Hey Ray, here's the dude who raped your wife. Go nuts with him." but more of "Here's the guy and it's already done."

I mean, he even says something along the lines of "Anyways, it's done..." Doesn't he?

Squalor

So someone tell me I'm a moron, but my read of the flashback scene involving Ray and Frank's first meeting, where he shows him a photo of the guy who fits his "wife's account" was not one of "Hey Ray, here's the dude who raped your wife. Go nuts with him." but more of "Here's the guy and it's already done."

I mean, he even says something along the lines of "Anyways, it's done..." Doesn't he?
I think that's incorrect.

Frank just said his "people know him," not "knew" him. He also wouldn't have attached the paper with the address to the photograph.

What you're remembering is that Frank said something to the effect of "I wanted to do this. And now it's done."

He meant that he wanted to give the information to Ray, help Ray out.

RaidenZR

I think that's incorrect.

Frank just said his "people know him," not "knew" him. He also wouldn't have attached the paper with the address to the photograph.

What you're remembering is that Frank said something to the effect of "I wanted to do this. And now it's done."

He meant that he wanted to give the information to Ray, help Ray out.

Alright, thanks. I guess that one line in particular messed up my understanding of what played out.

Vagabundo

I actually think this line could have been great...if someone else was delivering it.

QT5XmGx.jpg

For example.

So good. I forgot I'm really looking forward to Better Call Saul's next season.

Imm0rt4l

Later: "Nah, let's not wait for the tac team. Let's walk up, guns drawn, in the open. They'll never see it coming through their giant 6th floor warehouse windows."

correct me if I'm wrong, but higher ups thought she had too many people to begin with. I remember it as them thinking she was over doing this.

Squalor

Alright, thanks. I guess that one line in particular messed up my understanding of what played out.
Also, Ray wouldn't be in Frank's pocket had Frank/Frank's people done the work himself. We already know the would-be rapist is dead. If Ray hadn't killed him, there would be no way Frank could blackmail him, not really.

Since it's likely Ray took the information and did something with it, he is "indebted" to Frank for a bit.
correct me if I'm wrong, but higher ups thought she had too many people to begin with. I remember it as them thinking she was over doing this.
I'm almost positive it was just Chessani's covering his ass.

He likely knew what was there.

udiie

I can't vouch for this being 100% accurate, but if anyone was confused as to what's going on, this seems like a decent primer:

- What The Hell Is Happening On ‘True Detective’? A Mid-Season Explainer

after reading that i feel like i hadnt missed anything of particular importance while watching the show...
i also wouldnt really like the rust as birdman theory, seems too predictable. but then again, with the way the season is going i wouldnt be surprised lol
i was under the impression that
blake (frank's weirdo creepy henchman)
is probably the birdman

Imm0rt4l

Also, Ray wouldn't be in Frank's pocket had Frank/Frank's people done the work himself. We already know the would-be rapist is dead. If Ray hadn't killed him, there would be no way Frank could blackmail him, not really.

Since it's likely Ray took the information and did something with it, he is "indebted" to Frank for a bit.

I'm almost positive it was just Chessani's covering his ass.

He likely knew what was there.

I'm thinking the same thing.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Wait, really? Or are you joking? I mean, shouting "We're innocent" while gunning down civilians might not be the smartest move.

They just shout out generic shit, "move" "fucker", that kinda thing. The only somewhat important thing that's said is by the bald gangster who had that guy as a hostage.

"choose what's going to happen"
"choose what will happen"
"death's mother finds me"

I know it's a troll. maybe my post didn't come across sarcastic enough.

I don't know man there are people in this thread actively trying to make season 1 seem worse than it is in order to prop season 2. Shit's crazy.

And I don't even hate this season, it just desperately needs to be more Eyes Wide Shut and less Simcity: Crime edition.

This show is in no way the same show as the first season, but I'm honestly digging the dive through LA's grime. It's pulpy LA noir and fairly conventional television, but with the ability to be lurid in an R-rated way. It went from off-brand Cthulhu mythos to off-brand LA Confidential/Mulholland Drive. I'm okay with this. I find Pizzaman's pretensions and Vaughn's woodenness entertaining.

And I genuinely like Velcoro/Farrell.

actually maybe person of interest-tier is a bit harsh, i still manage to watch this show on the night of or a day later. but really the entire season is on farrell's back (and to a lesser extent mcadams)

can't praise the directing or writing in this at all.

Am I the only one who learned the word "louche" Sunday night?

I write for a living and Pizzolatto is upping his thesaurus game to undergraduate philosophy term paper levels of pretentious. When a character speaks, it should feel like the character is actually the one talking, not the writer.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Does Frank's wife inject herself with horse tranquilizers before each scene?

obaOQws.jpg

She always looks like she's completely drugged out.

Man, they should've found a way to stick with Lin for the whole season, or at least get one director to do the whole show. I get that Lin's schedule probably didn't allow for it but, outside of the excessive highway shots, his direction has been sorely missing the last two episodes

Man, they should've found a way to stick with Lin for the whole season, or at least get one director to do the whole show. I get that Lin's schedule probably didn't allow for it but, outside of the excessive highway shots, his direction has been sorely missing the last two episodes

Actually, Pizza said that he wrote the highway shots into the scripts/planned them in the writing from the get-go. Trying to find the source/article, I just read it this week.

Kinyou

They just shout out generic shit, "move" "fucker", that kinda thing. The only somewhat important thing that's said is by the bald gangster who had that guy as a hostage.

"choose what's going to happen"
"choose what will happen"
"death's mother finds me"
Ah thanks.

Found it:

“The aerials were written into the scripts from day one,” show creator Nic Pizzolatto says via email. “The idea was to highlight scale and connectivity; the big picture that informs these little lives.” Unlike season one, the current True Detective features multiple directors, so much of the responsibility for the visual style falls on the show’s director of photography, Nigel Bluck. He decided that, rather than a typical altitude of 200 to 500 feet, he would shoot from 1,000 feet — in part to amplify the abstract nature of the landscape, and in part because “we wanted a point of view that belongs to something bigger than us.”

I don't know man there are people in this thread actively trying to make season 1 seem worse than it is in order to prop season 2. Shit's crazy.

And I don't even hate this season, it just desperately needs to be more Eyes Wide Shut and less Simcity: Crime edition.

We need way more Eyes Wide Shut.

breakfuss

Goddamn. This show sucks ass. Bottomline. Had to force myself to even watch this week's episode and sure enough my hesitation was warranted. I'm not even sure this would make a good GTA installment. Why does Vince Vaughn have to reply in short quips to EVERYTHING? Poor Tim Riggins cannot catch a break either.

And I thought my stream froze on that last shot. Shit is just mad corny LOL. Sorry I can't articulate my thoughts as well as some of you but it just is what it is. Not sure how they can salvage this but we'll see.

Chopper

Call me crazy, but I'm enjoying it. I haven't found it particularly hard to follow. And I'm really enjoying Farrell, Vaughan and especially McAdams. Though Kitsch, not so much.

McAdams is badass, Farrell is tragically compelling, and Vaughan and his wife appear to exist in some alternative noire-style universe that is refreshingly bonkers.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the Birdman isn't the killer? I don't see why he would be anywhere near the murder scene so long after the incident, nor why he wouldn't just kill Velcorro.

Also, the shootout and freeze-frame were awesome.

It's not a patch on the first season, granted, but there's an awful lot of hyperbole in this thread.

Travo

Call me crazy, but I'm enjoying it. I haven't found it particularly hard to follow. And I'm really enjoying Farrell, Vaughan and especially McAdams. Though Kitsch, not so much.

McAdams is badass, Farrell is tragically compelling, and Vaughan and his wife appear to exist in some alternative noire-style universe that is refreshingly bonkers.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the Birdman isn't the killer? I don't see why he would be anywhere near the murder scene so long after the incident, nor why he wouldn't just kill Velcorro.

Also, the shootout and freeze-frame were awesome.

It's not a patch on the first season, granted, but there's an awful lot of hyperbole in this thread.
I completely agree. It's nowhere near the highs of season 1 ( How many shows are?). But it's still pretty entertaining and I'm beginning to get into the whodunnit part.

Top Bottom