• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump’s Son Met With Russian Lawyer After Being Promised Damaging Info on Clinton

Steel

Banned
Im guessing this is all highly classified material pertinent to the ongoing investigation and only a select few would have been privy to it. My question is why did that person want this published?

If you read the article you'd know this isn't from the investigators, but from the white house.

RoKKeR

Im guessing this is all highly classified material pertinent to the ongoing investigation and only a select few would have been privy to it. My question is why did that person want this published?
If a journalist found out about an actual meeting that campaign advisors attended and appropriately sourced it then it's not "classified intelligence", it's just a journalist doing their job. It may have already been a part of the investigation, sure, but that doesn't mean it was some highly classified data point.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Some of the sources are in the White House. As people were saying earlier, we know there are factions there that hate each other and leak stuff to the press to hurt their enemies. The most likely suspect is Bannon since he seems to be behind a lot of Kushner related leaks.

All just speculation obviously.

It's putting pressure on the people involved. Making them lawyer up to protect themselves and have them worried as to what the IC knows and if the FBI will be banging on their door one day.

Some of them may flip if they're facing serious time.

Trump Jr.: It's okay that I tried to commit treason because I got no actual information.

64341a1e5c6526f5cc029a60c40088c5--the-simpsons-bobs.jpg

Maybe that's the new trump strategy.

give mueller 8 years of shit to investigate which keeps everyone busy, then flee to Russia. Genius, I think?

Zolo

If a journalist found out about an actual meeting that campaign advisors attended and appropriately sourced it then it's not "classified intelligence", it's just a journalist doing their job. It may have already been a part of the investigation, sure, but that doesn't mean it was some highly classified data point.

Though they will reach out if they feel releasing the story could be harmful.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Still expecting nothing out of this sadly. At least not yet. The good thing is that this administration doesn't seem to know when enough is enough so somebody is eventually going to be caught red-handed doing something illegal f they haven't already. It seems to take forever though...

Maybe that's the new trump strategy.

give mueller 8 years of shit to investigate which keeps everyone busy, then flee to Russia. Genius, I think?

Then Russia hands him over wanting the sanctions lifted.

I'm making Robert mueller my desktop background in my office, there are a few trump voters there though it is highly unlikely they will know who he is.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yesterday Jr. said that he had indications this was a trap and that the person who setup the meeting was working for an anti-Trump oppo-research group, to eventually claim they had colluded Russia if Trump was elected.

Mark L

Oh what so it's suddenly wrong to collude with aggressive foreign powers to win an election now? Like you're so innocent!

Shauni

Yesterday Jr. said that he had indications this was a trap and that the person who setup the meeting was working for an anti-Trump oppo-research group, to eventually claim they had colluded Russia if Trump was elected.

Well, that's one way to go lol

Not that his bullshit story is true, but would it even matter? All the FBI needs is intent, and I doubt they said no to this Russian lawyer.

Shauni

This seems like fucking huge news. This is the first time we've heard of anyone in Trump's admin actually trying to get damaging info about Hillary from Russians.

If Trump's son tried this with some random Russian lawyer, how many OTHER times did Trump/co attempt it?

Pretty sure Flynn was the first, actually.

A few months before this, DNC systems are compromised but there is no visible fallout.

Then we get the June 9 meeting in Trump tower which is now revealed to have been about compromising anti-Clinton information.

A week later, on June 15, the first cache of DNC documents is leaked by Guccifer 2.0.

Lawyer up, motherfuckers.

Ponn

Banned
Like most of the other news that has come out over the months this is not a singular silver bullet but another brick in the case being built and people should temper their expectations as such. That doesn't mean this isn't big news or something to be ignored.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
A few months before this, DNC systems are compromised but there is no visible fallout.

Then we get the June 9 meeting in Trump tower which is now revealed to have been about compromising anti-Clinton information.

A week later, on June 15, the first cache of DNC documents is leaked by Guccifer 2.0.

Well, when you lay it out like that...

Well shit

Zolo

Like most of the other news that has come out over the months this is not a singular silver bullet but another brick in the case being built and people should temper their expectations as such. That doesn't mean this isn't big news or something to be ignored.

So are you saying it's nothing or the end of Trump?

Yep. It's too perfect.

antonz

Don Jr. incriminated himself with his response to a cleverly placed article. He felt the need to correct the article and in the process revealed the real motivations behind the meeting which is specifically connecting with the Russians on information we know to be illegally gained

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yup. But also, this is a very solid brick and there's at least one more obvious element to explore with the identity of this acquaintance.

rambis

Banned

The great thing about this is that Trump would have to basically disown his son to escape this. I really hope they can prove it.

Boke1879

Seth Abramson
@SethAbramson
Remember, Trump told us he had NO KNOWLEDGE of ANY meetings between his team and Russians. Now we know it was his SONS and CAMPAIGN MANAGER.

4:27pm · 9 Jul 2017 · Twitter Web Client

Yup

So are you saying it's nothing or the end of Trump?

I think they're moreorless saying, to quote Pink Floyd, this is "just another brick in the wall."

Could be wrong though.

You just know this particular story is gonna drive Trump up a wall. And when it's laid out all like this, I gotta say "goddamn."

Steel

Banned
It's kinda a shame they didn't take Trump up on his offer to testify under oath. There'd be so much perjury right now.

Manaforte or Page or both flipped.

Yesterday's article hints that Manafort has flipped:

Mr. Manafort, the former campaign chairman, also recently disclosed the meeting, and Donald Trump Jr.’s role in organizing it, to congressional investigators who had questions about his foreign contacts, according to people familiar with the events.

And we know that Carter Page talked to the FBI without a lawyer.

The great thing about this is that Trump would have to basically disown his son to escape this. I really hope they can prove it.

Right. I've said repeatedly that they should try to force his resignation by charging and prosecuting family members and close associates. Everyone but Trump can be indicted and tried at the federal and/or state level. And he can't pardon state-level charges.

Them constantly changing the story is amusing to watch. First it's about orphans, then it's the Democrats set them up, and now it's a meeting they agreed to because she claimed to have oppo on Hillary? They've lied three times in 24 hours about the same damn meeting.

This is key to remember. The blizzard of bullshit they spew can leave you on wobbly ground; it's good to have a readout of their statements to call them on it.

Sadly, so few in the media are good at laying it out like this when they have a chance to make 'em squirm. Outrage is an acceptable response to these clowns, deduction is not.

Benedict Donald.

I know it's childish, but why don't the Dems brand Trump like Trump brands all of them? "Benedict Donald", "Russian Donald", "Traitor Trump". If Trump were in the Dems' spot, that's what he'd do. As stupid as they are, the nicknames stick with the masses.

Isn't his point that this somehow exonerates Trump from responsibility because he claims he "supposedly" didn't know of any Russian meetings? Which is, of course, insanity.

I don't think so, no. His other tweets all indicate that his point is that with the increase of stories that confirm more and more people close to Trump (both in his campaign group and his own family) colluded with the Russians, the less and less believable it is that Trump could have possibly ever not known that his people were working with the Russians.

RPGCrazied

How is this legal? How is this administration allowed to continue? I don't understand why the GOP won't remove Trump and install Pence. They can still get what they want done with him.

Get rid of Trump before its too late.

Steel

Banned
How is this legal? How is this administration allowed to continue? I don't understand why the GOP won't remove Trump and install Pence. They can still get what they want done with him.

Because their base would murder them. It's pretty simple.

The GOP are scum and I say this as a pretty hardcore Republican at one point in my life. They'll continue to support him until the end. Then they'll all act like they never did.

Top Bottom